The beginning

Inspired by a true story.

We were different. We come from two complete different world, different culture and we look physically different. Your high pointed nose, brown sparkling eyes, perfectly tan skin... But nothing can compare us to our love.

 

 

 

"We're going to miss you, honey." Mum and dad hugged me tightly and kissed me repeatedly before saying their goodbyes.

 I gazed around my new room and sigh. "This will be a good beginning and start a new life" As I can tell, my life haven't been a good girl to me for the past few years. s happened and it broke my heart for thousands time. I'm blessed and lucky to be able to stand up throughout all those tragedies.

"So where do you come from?" My new room mate blinked her eyes excitedly with her neatly tied ponytail. Her name was Kate Kim. She was a smart and friendly person. We talked for few hours and I learned that her house was just 5 minutes away from here and we're taking the same course. 

"Isn't it great that we're in University now? And oh, I can show you around since you're from the east side." She said before closing her eyes, dozing off.

I thank God that He sent me a lovely friend. From there on, I had the feeling that we'll be best friend. 

My new days started by an introduction to familiarization of my new surroundings and people. Two weeks after, I got to know my new coursemates and my school building looked like those 70's white building and surrounded with beautiful flowers and trees. It was perfect and everyone was friendly.

"Are you from Hawaii?" "Where did you buy that cute blouse?" "You don't look like you come from this country." "I love your nails!" "You're so pretty!" I got all of those sweet compliment from my new friends everyday. I would just smile and thanked them. They complimented Kate too, asking if she's from Korea since her skin was pure white. There, I just knew that she's half Korean. I must've missed that question.

"Hey, lets join me for a lunch together!" Amanda pulled our hands, looking excited and hungry. "There's this cool Cafe nearby and they cook spagetthi and burgers!" That made my stomach growled even more. 

"Welcome to Jay's Cafe!" the waiter smiled at us and walked away with his trays. The place was quiant and tidy. There was a huge balcony towards the fresh green field. The wind blew softly through our skin, it was lovely.

"Hey that's mine!" Kate cried when Amanda chomped on her meatballs and they started stealing each other food. I laughed along.

Suddenly, the Cafe was filled with noises coming from the entrance. People started to come in for lunch and then I realized that they were all foreigners. Perhaps from China, Korea, Arab and Malaysia. Everyone dress up smartly and beautiful. In few minutes, the Cafe was full with foreigners. For a second, I thought that I'm not in London.

A waitress came to our table and gave us a pamphlet, "There will be a grand big festival happening nearby this Saturday. You freshies should come and join us." She smiled sweetly and continue serving the other tables. 

There was a big 'ASEAN Festival' printed on the paper. "What's this?" I asked.

Kate nudged, "Maybe some kind of traditional festival or dancings?" 

"Or maybe some kind of wild parties where all the hot boys and girls gather and get drunk." Amanda joked and laughed.

I snorted at that idea.

 

 

 

Saturday came, Kate and I got dress up prettily and shared each other clothes. "So how do I look?" Kate ask nervously, she seems to take Amanda's word seriously. "I don't want to look outdated compared to all the hot girls that will come to the festival."

I giggled, "Come on. You look great! And you shouldn't have listen to Amanda, she's just fooling around." I put on my last make up and adjusted my long straight hair. "You done? I'm going to the next door to call out Amanda." 

Kate quickly took her small pink purse, "Okay, let's go!" She smelled like sweet rose.

"Wow! Look at all the crowds, this is amazing!" Amanda squeezed our hands tightly. Her eyes gazed around the people, perhaps scanning for hot boys. "Let's go party, girls!"

I shook my head and smiled at her enthusiasm. 

There were hundreds of stalls around, bright colourful lights hung around and everyone had happy faces around them. The aura was majestic and alive. 

"Let's ride on the Ferris wheel!" Amanda suggested. It was the main attraction of the night, everyone qued up to get on the ride. 

"I'm afraid of heights. No thanks." Kate said. 

Amanda looked at me for hope, "I'm sorry. I think I'll stay on the ground."

"You girls are no fun." Amanda pouted, "I'll go by myself then. See you girls later!" 

We waved.

Kate and I ended up sitting by the stage when we heard that there will be shows starting in 5 minutes. "This is fun." Kate smiled, "I feel welcomed here. Honestly, I feel scared when I first came here. But then I met you."

I feel awed inside. I smiled, "Me too." I squeezed her hand. Our friendship grows even more that night.

The show finally started. The dancers danced swiftly and organized according to the tradisional music; most of the dancers came from Asia. They look very beautiful and unique. I got a little insecure inside.

Few minutes later, a gesture distracted me from the show. A guy with blue shirt and white pants were looking around for empty seats. He looked amzingly handsome and nicely built. My heart blushes.

Kate noticed my stare, "Oh my my. Look at that cute foreigner, isn't he's charming?" 

He looked different than us. His skin was tanned and his nose was pointy. "He look so much like Christiano Ronaldo." I squeezed on my heart, trying to stop it from beating out from my chest. I couldn't stop looking at his perfection.

"Hey hey, let me take a picture of him." Kate secretly hide her camera and took a snap. He look handsome in the screen. 

The shows lasted for two hours and I couldn't help myself from turning my eyes towards him. I wanted to know his name.