2

Let It Go

Our group of friends decided to spend two weeks of our summer vacation in Jeju. The odds were in my favor for I was a member of the University’s swimming team. Summer is the perfect time to get my skin tanned and to see Eunhyuk on his swimming trunks. I mean putting swimming stuff in his car’s trunk, you silly reader.

 

Unfortunately, Eunhyuk can’t swim. He treats the shore as his catwalk but the sea was never his ally. As much as possible, he stays away from the water just like Superman stays away from Kryptonite. Don’t get me wrong, though. He’s more handsome than the man of steel.

 

Moving on, the night of our last day in Jeju, Eunhyuk’s nth girlfriend Gyuri broke up with him. I was just crushing on him back then so I didn’t mind the other girls though sometimes I really want to high five them. In the face. With a chair.

 

Eunhyuk was really drunk already so when someone dared him to swim, he accepted the challenged. Alcoholic beverages may not solve problens but it makes people forget them. Forgetting. Sometimes, it’s all we need.

 

Being the best swimmer in our group, I hurriedly went to his aid. Within minutes, I saved him and brought him to the shore. He was not breathing. I did chest compressions but to no avail.

 

‘Don’t die on me! I haven’t told you I love you!’ These thoughts entered my mind and that was when I realized that I do love him.

 

“Do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation!” Screamed Sunny loud enough to wake me up from my thought. So I did  and after five exhales, he was revived. He was still spitting water out but I hugged him, anyway.

 

‘I can’t lose you. Not anymore.’ Was all I can think of.

 

..but I’m losing him right now. At this chapel in front of Eunhyuk’s and IU’s friends and family. Oh, IU. I could sell my soul just to be in your shoes right now. I look at IU in her white-laced gown. She’s the beautiful bride I’ve ever seen. Aside from her cat walk-worthy beauty, she is also a Singer. Wit, wealth and etiquette runs in her bloodline. No wonder Eunhyuk fell head over heels for her. Then I look at her groom. My best friend that I am secretly in love with. He looks like a famous Idol in his suit and tie. Despite the questioning look in his eyes, he’s smiling. That smile that only IU can give. Who am I to take that away from him?

 

“Yes, Eunhyuk’s beloved best friend? Anything you would like to say?” The priest questioned me. Best Friend. The word echoed in my mind. That’s right. I’m only his best friend. I need to act like it. I need to let him go.

 

“Nothing, Father. I just want to make everyone nervous. That’s the little ice breaker Eunhyuk’s best friend has prepared. You may now continue the ceremony.” Everyone was relieved at my revelation.

 

“Yah! Hyoyeon, stop being a choding you know.” Donghae. Eunhyuk’s best man said across the church chair.

 

I sit and ignored Donghae. My eyes went back to Eunhyuk..

 

He smiled and he mouthed the words “Thank You.”

 

As he turns his back I mouthed back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I love You.