Chapter 1

High School Survival Guide: How to Fake a Boyfriend

Highschool Survival Guide: Chapter 1

 

The school bell rang signaling mid-day. All the students stampeded to the cramped lines that led to mediocre food. People sat in their separate cliques but from the far corner, 2 girls could be seen chatting animatedly. They talked in lightning speed that you'd have to listen carefully to process.

"SungRin ah~ did you hear??" MinAh squealed

"If what you're thinking is what I think you're thinking, then yes I've heard." SungRin replied with a cheeky smile.

"What do you think I've heard?" MinAh smirked.

"If it begins with a "W" and ends with an "F" then I've definitely heard." SungRin chimed.

"Oh my gosh! What do you think they'll be wearing?" Min Ah added excitedly. 

"Oh my gosh what do you think they'll be wearing??" A mocking voice was heard behind MinAh. Her back stiffened and she felt a chilling sensation. 

"What do you want?" SungRin boldly stated. Something Min Ah could never do. MinAh was getting nervous she never did like dealing with the queenka's of the school, especially Jessica.

"Jessica if you don’t have anything better to do, kindly leave, we are in the middle of a life changing conversation" SungRin said in a matter of fact tone. Inside SungRin was feeling just as nervous as Min Ah, but she never backs down from a fight.

"OH really now, what could be so important to two nerds like you" Eunjung argued. 

"You know, stuff!" MinAh awkwardly shouted.

"Oh you mean stuff like fangirling over your loser idols." Jessica retorted.

"Loser idols? At least they're famous; you're just a high school queenka" SungRin spat back. Her blood boiled with anger. How dare Jessica insult their beloved idols? 

"Ugh! Whatever. I'm just wasting my time talking to you nobodies" Jessica improvised. She had nothing to comeback with but she refused to leave without the last word. 

SungRin and MinAh giggled at the baffled queenkas.

"Wah. SungRin-ah. You're awesome compared to me.  I'm such a useless chingu." MinAh sighed as she hung her head in shame. She had such a fear of the queenkas and kingkas at school that she becomes utterly helpless.

"Aniyo. You're not useless. You just need to build confidence. They're just people" SungRin assured her.

"Yeah, the people who can ultimately destroy your highschool life. Not there's much to destroy in ours, but still!" Min Ah reasoned with SungRin.

SungRin just shook her head at her stubborn friend, always trying to reason with her.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay well, lunch is almost over, I’m going to head to class." SungRin stated as she packed up.

"Oh and if anybody bothers you just tell who’s boss!" she said while flexing her arm.

"OKAY sure whatever you say Rin-ah." Min Ah said laughing lightly.

It wasn’t too long after SungRin left, Min Ah was walking back to her class room, she was daydreaming about her lovely bias Chanyeol. Oh how she wished she could talk to him and hold his hand. MinAh had her eyes closed as she walked, she was patting her cheeks from them heating up with blush; she had no idea she was approaching a line of fire.

 "OH WATCH IT WILL YA!"

"Oh my gosh. I'm so so so sorry" MinAh apologized profusely and bowed her head endlessly. She saw a lollipop on the floor. There was only one person who has that. But that's impossible, you think. "I wasn't looking at where I was going. I’m so so sorry. I’ll buy you another lollipop!" 

"Look who’s here. Daydreaming about your fake boyfriend?" She froze when she heard his voice. 

MinAh looked around to see if anyone was there. She prayed that someone would come and save her but she knew it unlikely. *Okay MinAh. SungRin isn’t here. And you can’t rely on her to keep saving you. You gotta do this* She looked at him and she felt her adrenaline pumping. This surge of courage suddenly appeared in her

“Actually, he’s very real.” MinAh stated matter-of-factly.

"Oh Really?" Jonghyun challenged.

“Yeah.” She spat back.

“If he’s so real then why isn’t he here to save you huh?” He shoved her as he said every word and pushed her against the lockers. Jonghyun refused to believe that an outcast like her could attract a living, breathing thing. He believed it was against the law of nature.

MinAh cowered. She squeezed her eyes shut, preparing for the worst, pressing herself more into the lockers. 'Please. Please. Just let ground swallow me whole, anything but this. Please.' She silently prayed in fear. 

"Yah, MinAh." She heard a voice call her. MinAh was so immersed in her silent coward prayers that she didn't even notice nobody was pressing her against the lockers anymore. She opened one of her eyes to take a peak and released the breath she held in for so long. 

"Oppa." She huffed. She felt this relief wash over her.

"Was he bothering you?" Daehyun asked as he held Jonghyun by the ears.

MinAh looked at Jonghyun. His eyes screamed 'You say something and you're dead'. 

"A-aniyo oppa. I'm fine. It was my fault." She stuttered as her eyes flickered between Daehyun and Jonghyun. 

Daehyun gave her a suspicious look before releasing Jonghyun. He glared at MinAh and fixed his clothes before he stomped away. 

"You are a really bad liar, you know." MinAh heard Daehyun from behind. 

"I didn't want to get you in trouble." She reasoned. 

Daehyun took her hands and looked at her. MinAh had her head hung low in shame. She felt so helpless. Her fear of people or more specifically, her fear of people with a higher status and authority always kept her from standing up for herself.

"Hey. Look at me." Daehyun softly commanded. She raised her head up and looked into his eyes. "You know that you can always come to me for anything right?" 

"I know." She replied. 

Daehyun pulled her into a hug and ruffled her hair. "Okay. Now go to class. Hmm?" 

"Neh oppa." She said in a muffled voice. 

Daehyun let her go and looked at her lovingly as she waved and ran to her class.

“What am I going to do with you?” He mumbled to himself as a smile formed on his lips.

What they didn’t notice was a hurt SungRin hiding behind the lockers. She clutched her chest as if she was being pierced by a million daggers straight in the heart. She knew how Daehyun felt for MinAh yet SungRin still lets herself feel this way.