The Cafe

The Latte

 

I was frowning in the airport entrance while waiting for my cousin. I tried to call her again but no one answered. "Ugh." I tapped my high heels on the ground impatiently.

 

Should I just call a cab? Nah.. I shook my head. She said she wants to take me somewhere.

 

I waited for another ten minutes, but then I gave up. I pulled my suitcase back into the cafe inside. I ordered my drink and chose to sit in the corner of the room. The cafe was kind of quiet as it was only 5 AM. The other costumer was only a bunch of guys who where having some talk in front of me. It was good they were not so noisy, so I could relax here.

 

But some minutes later, lots of teenage girls came. They were chatting noisily while taking photos from outside the cafe and it was disturbing me. So, I took a deep breath to calm myself.

 

Seriously, what's the commotion?

 

I looked at the girls again. Some of them were squealing while the others were pointing their fingers, straight at the boys in front of me. My brain was searching for an answer and finally, I nodded. I understood what happened here.

 

The boys are idols and those teenage girls are their fans.. and there goes my peacefulness.

 

So I tried to ignore all of the chaos outside while taking a sip from my latte. It tasted good. I also ate the brownies as I could feel the hunger came from my stomach. I chewed it slowly while trying to call her again. But still, no answer. I shook my head as I thought maybe she was still sleeping.

 

I finished my food and stood up. But when I walked past those idols, hot water splashed on to my bare legs.

 

What?!

 

I gasped and turned my head to look at them. They looked shock just like me. I frowned.

 

Are not they going to say sorry, at least?

 

Not long after, a man with the glasses who I assumed as their manager stood up and bowed at me. "I'm really sorry for this kid's behavior, Miss." He apologized and gave me the tissue. The six boys was following to stood up. They also bowed down and said sorry to me.

 

"It's okay," I said while wiping away the sticky liquid. It must be coffee or something. I feel relieved that my skirt was clean from any damage. "I guess it was all only an accident." I smiled.

 

The people around us was also watching the scene, as well as the girls outside who was whispering to each other now. I knew it was an accident - I had said it too - but still, it was embarrassing to attract the attention like this.

 

Then, I stood up and bowed down at them to bid goodbye. Once I was outside, I could hear some whispers from their fan girls. "Lucky girl got their coffee on her legs." "Of it was me, I wouldn't wipe it away." "Oppas were bowing at her!" My face turned sour when I heard all of their words.

 

I searched for the restroom and stepped into the ladies one. "It was not that pleasing to get splashed on your legs." I muttered under my breath. "It was also embarrassing!"

 

Done with the now-really-clean legs, I took out my hand phone again and there was a call from her. "Where are you?!" I talked with a mad tone. "Okay, okay." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Just quickly pick me up from here."

 

____________________________________________________

 

Some weeks had passed and I had been enjoying the Korea after being away for five years. Mom and dad still stayed in Australia, though. They said they would move back too, but the preparations had not done. So, I need to stay more for few months in my aunt's house.

 

Oh well, I wouldn't feel lonely this way. My cousin will also bring me to some places here. And today, we are planning to go to her favorite cafe.

 

Finally, it was time to go. She drove for about fifteen minutes to the Gangnam district and we parked the car near the cafe. Once inside it, we sat down near the window and told our order to the waiter.

 

"The waiter is cute." She giggle.

 

"Yeah.. he is." I chuckled at Bora; that cousin of mine. She was eighteen, like me.

 

I was just taking out the novel from my handbag when I heard she gasped. "What's wrong?" I asked as there was worry written on her face.

 

Bora sighed. "I forgot to buy a birthday's gift for my friend. She will hold the party this evening."

 

"Then, go buy it now."

 

She looked at me. "Are you okay to be alone here?"

 

"Nah," I waved my hands. "I am not a little kid. Just go."

 

"Okay." She nodded. "I'll be back and call me if there's a problem."

 

"Of course." After she heard that words from me, she stood up and walked out from the cafe.

 

"So.. let's read the novel," I mumbled to myself. Minutes later, the waiter came with two cups of latte for us. I said my thank you and then, I was alone again.

 

But, it didn't last long as there was a boy who was stumbling down to the chair opposite me. I widened my eyes at the stranger who wore a hat and a black glasses in front of me.

 

Who is he?

 

He cleared his throat and greeted awkwardly, "Hi, uhm.. what are you reading?

 

"A novel." I replied. "Who are you?"

 

"Uhm..do you remember that cafe accident? In the airport?"

 

"Yeah.." I nodded, but still didn't get any idea about it. "Why?"

 

"I'm one of the boys there," he took out his hand for a handshake. "Nice to meet you again. I'm Moon Jongup."

 

"Oh.. I'm Lee Sunny." I took his hand and we did a handshake for a few seconds.

 

"Do you mind if I sit here?"

 

He is an idol. At least, he wouldn't do something bad to someone in the public, right? Hmm I think it is okay to let him sit here.

 

"Of course." I smiled. "What are you doing here in the outside?"

 

He shrugged. "Just using this free time to have a walk. You?"

 

"Hmm I was supposed to be here with my cousin but she have to go. Oh! Please take a sip from the latte. It is still untouched by anyone."

 

"Ah.." he looked like he would decline it, but I pushed him and said that my cousin wouldn't be able to drink it.

 

We continued to talk and talk about the other things and I saw him as a fun person now. An hour with him passed and my phone was ringing. A call from Bora.

 

"Hello?" I nodded. "Okay, I'll be outside."

 

"Your cousin?"

 

I hummed at him. "I have to go now. By the way, it's fun to talk to you, Jongup. See ya.." Then, I stood up.

 

"Wait," he called, thus making me faced him again. "Do you mind to tell me your phone number?"

 

____________________________________________________

 

That night, I got a message from an unknown number. I guessed who was the sender in my mind and I was right. It was from Jongup.

 

From : 021xxxxxxxxx

 

Hey, Sunny! It's me, Jongup. I have a day off again tomorrow. Want to go somewhere fun? :)