Birthdays and Families

The Day I Saw Your Animal

I knocked on the door, and squeezed the hand that held mine. The door opened, and we were greeted by my parents. As we took off our shoes and put on house slippers, I noticed the cage in the corner.

 

Walking over to the brightly colored birds, I bowed 90 degrees and then greeted, “Good morning halmeoni and harabeoji.” The birds tittered and I understood it to mean they greeted me back, and then my mother came over to ask about our house guest.

 

“So is this the one..?”

 

“Yes,” I told her and then went to get the boy who my father was still questioning. I interrupted my father and said I wanted to introduce him to everyone. So I started by dragging him over to the cage in the corner, and we both bowed again and I introduced N to my grandparents.

 

“Ravi, you sure this is a good idea?” N asked me as I led him into the next room. My hand held the door knob, and I turned to look into his eyes.

 

“Yes,” I replied and took a deep breath before opening the door to chaos that lay beyond.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

-A Year Earlier-

 

We had just stepped off stage and were trying to fan off after an adrenaline-pumping performance. The high we got kept us moving all the way back to our dressing room, where we sat and talked about the minor details.

 

“I think I slipped just a little right before the turn, but I don’t think anyone noticed,” said Hyuk as he was forced to sit up on the couch because Leo wanted to sit down.

 

“That’s alright, I think my voice wavered a little on the high note,” Ken said and sat down on the opposite side of Leo, affectively making a sandwich out of him. This bugged him and he squeezed his way back out of the middle and then sat down on the two person love seat with a glare that told anyone to dare and seat don next to him.

 

“Well everyone was excited that’s for sure!” N said, as he crashed down into one of the makeup chairs. “I mean I think I even saw one girl faint!”

 

“Really?” said Hongbin, “I hope she is alright.” Everyone hummed in agreement. They all loved their fans and fed of the energy that they came them, but they didn’t like seeing the girls faint and have to be carried away to be treated.

 

“I’m going to go check on the status of the girl,” Hongbin said and left the room. They sat and talked for a little bit more, before they finally heard a quiet knocking on the door.

 

“I’ll get it,” said N who sprung up at the noise. Opening the door a crack, he saw that it was the surprise for Ravi and then quickly shut the door. “Ravi it’s for you.”

 

‘Huh?’ thought Ravi and he got up to once again open the door, but this time he opened it fully and then a chorus of the Happy Birthday song came floating to him from both in front and behind as Hongbin, and the members of B.A.P, MYNAME, and BTOB came in.

 

Quickly sitting down and covering his face, he blushed and smiled, and looked through his fingers as the cake was carried in, and they all sang. At the end of it, he blew out the candles, and then hugged each and every one of his dear friends. Once they all found a seating arrangement that suited them, and that Leo could deal with, they laughed and chattered away until it was time for them to go home.

 

Slowly one by one, the different groups began to leave, until it was only VIXX left. Turning around in his chair to try and hide his tears. N heard him though, and came up and wrapped his arms around him, resting his head on top of his and staring at him through the mirror.

 

“Thank you N-hyung,” Ravi said and wiped furiously at the tears as they came out.

 

“It’s ok Ravi, we all love you, and we just wanted to try and make your birthday a happy one while we had you here.” N said and nuzzled his face into the top of Ravi’s hair.

 

“I’m so grateful to all of you for making my birthday the best I could have,” Ravi whispered and then hugged the arms that surrounded him, before they released him to let him get ready to go.

 

‘If only I could share my real birthday with you, N-hyung,’ Ravi thought. ‘Just two more days and I’ll be back home.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Two days later, Ravi had just arrived at his parent’s house and was glad that he would soon be surrounded by his family.

 

Walking in, he greeted his parents and then his grandparents, and finally made it into the living room, where the ruckus died down as he opened the door. Person and bird alike looked at him, before he was laid flat on the floor with cousins and aunts and uncles who all gathered around him and made him feel loved.

 

“Ok, ok, I missed all of you too!” Ravi laughed as he hugged and kissed all his relatives.

 

“Son, why don’t you go take your stuff up to your room and then we will all go out together?” he father said, and Ravi rushed to his room, so he would be able to go out faster. He loved going out with the family and because they owned the land around the house, they weren’t in danger of being caught by unsuspecting people who want exotic birds.

 

Reaching the bottom of the staircase, Ravi re-entered the room he had previously left, and was now face to face with only birds. Slowly Ravi sat on the ground, and closed his eyes meditating. As the eyes of the birds watched, Ravi’s form slowly began to change. His nose and mouth grew outward until he had a beautiful black beak. His whole form shrinking and his hair turning into gorgeous red feathers. When he opened his eyes again, Ravi was now like all his cousins and aunts and uncles, his parents, and grandparents. An eclectus parrot. And a female eclectus parrot at that.

 

He knew that he looked stunning, with a nice bright blue chest, and fire red feathers covering him head to toe. He carefully waddled his way over to his grandparents. His grandmother looked like he did, a nice red adorning her head, and still brilliantly blue, and his grandfather a spectacular green and sharp yellow beak.

 

Ravi squatted before them and waited. Both ran their beaks over him and then a screech was heard from his father, the signal that it was time to fly. The youngest went first, leading the way out through the large window into the forest. When it was his time to fly, Ravi took off and relished in the wind on his wings and how he wished he could stay in this form longer than he usually does.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When the time came to eat, Ravi like all his family reverted to human form and he helped his mother lay out the feast that she and a couple of his aunts had made earlier that day. Everyone waited until his grandparents had sat down and begun to eat to do the same.

 

“So Ravi, how has your life been?” asked his mother, who always asked that question.

 

“Good so far umma, life has been hard, but the work is satisfying.” Ravi said, and ate the delicious food that had been set out.

 

“Are they working you too hard? I know it’s hard work, but I worry for you!”

 

“It’s alright umma, I know how to handle myself. Though I’ve had this weird feeling.”

 

“Oh no! Are you sick?”

 

“I don’t think so, but I get this sort of hot and flustered feeling every now and then.” Ravi said and blushed as how he thought of the flustered feeling.

 

His mom took in the blush and had an inkling to what was happening. The older girls, and some of the men giggled, before his mother told him to some see her after dinner.

 

-Later after dinner-

 

“Mom?” Ravi said hesitantly as he poked his head around the corner.

 

“Oh, yes dear, come in.” As he sat down, his mother fixed herself to be facing him and asked if he would like any tea. At the no, she poured herself some, and then took a bite of biscuit before starting, “So you have been small hot flashes on and off, and you become flustered?”

 

Blushing, Ravi muttered a yes as he looked at his feet.

 

“Flustered how?”

 

Shocked that his mother had asked him this, he quickly looked up, and upon seeing his face, she smiled and laughed lightly. Hiding his head again, Ravi couldn’t have felt more embarrassed, than if he had gone on stage for the first time.

 

“Well honey, I know what is wrong with you,” she said and patted his head. He looked up at her with a hint of relief as he thought that he would finally get some answers. “Your female bird body is finally maturing and you are going to start looking for mate now.”

 

Face frozen, Ravi just sat there overwhelmed by what he had just been told.

 

“Also you will be looking for a more dominate male, since you are a female bird.”

 

The colored drained away from his face, and his mother caught him before he could hit the floor.

 

Waking up the next morning, Ravi was slightly disturbed by the remembrance of his conversation last night with his mother. He was essentially going into puberty again, but this time it was his female bird’s body that was doing it. Also he would have to look for a mate, and a more male dominating one at that!

 

Slipping out from under the covers, Ravi went down the hall and tried knocking on his mother’s door. Hearing a muffled come in, he quietly went in, and found his mother sitting behind her table, looking up from a book she was reading.

 

“So you need help with the bird situation?” Ravi nodded yes, and she invited him to sit down beside her. “Well it’s not much different than when humans go into maturity. Though you won’t have a monthly period or anything. You will go through a breeding season each year, and when you decide to have children, it will be up to you and your partner when. As for finding a mate…” hear Ravi paid close attention, because he wanted to be sure about finding his mate, “You will be releasing pheromones, and only another of our kind will be able to sense them. A male will become very attracted to you and will be very clingy and won’t leave you alone. But to be sure, our kind have made a signal that will help us tell each other apart. When a male finds a female, or vice a versa, they go up to him and put a bite mark on each side of your neck, claiming you. Once you have both claimed each other, then you should come back here so that the mating ritual can be completed.”

 

Silence filled the room after that, and Ravi thought about if he was ever going to find his mate while being a famous kpop star. For now though, he just enjoyed sitting in his mother’s arms and feeling safe from the outside world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Two days later, the trip was over, Ravi waved goodbye to all his relatives, and received waves and squawks back, and his parents saw him to the door, his mother whispering in his ear to remember what they talked about, and then he was gone, off back to the world of kpop.

 

Once reaching home, Ravi walked through the door and was greeted by everyone except N.

 

“Where’s N-hyung?”

 

“He stayed up all night working on his dancing, and so is passed out in bed.”

 

After Ravi had spent some time with all s, he went to see the one member who was in dreamland. Finding the sleeping hyung, Ravi quickly and quietly kissed his forehead and said hello and whispering told him of his adventure of his birthday. Feeling tired form all the traveling, Ravi silently slid his body to lie next to N, and drifted off into dreamland as his arms did their best to hug him.

 

A/N:

 

 

Please comment on whether I should continue this or not, I just had it floating around in my head for a few days and just had to get it written out. Thanks! Much love and cookies!! *chuu~   ^_~