Red Riding Hood: A Sacrifice I

Depth of Winter

Red Riding Hood: A Sacrifice I

Maybe there was more to the Red Riding Hood tale then what meets the eye.

-

Suzy sat down on a wooden stool watching her father place things into a basket. The room was dull, only lighted by a single candle, her father’s shadow filled the walls and each of his movements were recorded into the walls.

“Do I have to do this?” she asked looking down at her red polished shoes. Her father’s feet came into view and she looked up to find the familiar bearded face that was covered in ash. Placing a kiss on her forehead he smiled sadly, “you’ve got a warriors heart”.

After ruffling her hair he turned away from her, Suzy bit the inside of and she could feel her eyes start to water, her ears became red and thoughts ran through her head. “Why our family?” she whispered loud enough for her father to hear. “It’ll be okay Suzy, it’ll be-“Suzy cut her dads words off, “It was mum before and now it’s me!” Suzy screamed standing up causing the stool to fall.

“Suzy you don’t understand…”
“It's not okay! And I understand! I understand everything, you don’t even love me, you didn’t even love mum, if you did you would have stopped it!”
“Suzy… I can’t, you have to understand”.
“I’m going to die out there and you only think of everyone elses lives” she said through gritted teeth.

The room was filled with only Suzy’s sobs, her dad afraid to say anything stood still holding his tears back.

“I-it’s okay… I’ll do it” she said as she wiped her eyes, “I’ll do it… I’m sorry” she said grabbing her red cloak. Pulling on the hoodie of the cloak over her head she fixed it, making sure it was on properly, picking up the basket her father prepared she opened the door and looked over her shoulder with blurred vision.

“Daddy I love you”.

-

She was raised to be a sacrifice to the wolf.

 

 


This was a story idea I had for a long time, if I feel it, I'll write a oneshot.
 
“Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to.”
― Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven