Chapter 4

The Absolutely True Diary of a Compulsive Liar

xxxxxx Eunmi swiped her access card. The red light flashed green, and she quickly pulled the front door open before it locked again. That guy is really annoying, she thought, passing right by the empty reception desk to get to the stairwell. In order to preserve electricity, the elevator was reserved for teachers and students with injuries. The people at the front desk had a key as well, but they weren’t supposed to use it except for in emergencies.

xxxxxx I mean, he didn’t need to jump out at me. Ice prince or not, people don’t tend to appreciate you scaring them half to death, she thought bitterly, climbing the stairs. Besides, I should just throw out those stupid pictures. They’re weird! Ugh, but I need my pictures back. Well, maybe I can get something out of it. I’d say keeping those pictures a secret is pretty important…

xxxxxx It was then that something seemed to go off in her head. “I can use this,” she muttered to herself, stopping in the middle of the empty stairwell to think this through. “I can-booyah!”

xxxxxx Suddenly very energetic, Eunmi sprinted up the last few stairs and dashed to her room. Swiping her room key again, Eunmi burst into the one-room dormitory. Just as she’d figured, Sunhye wasn’t back yet. All the better, she thought, crossing the room to her desk. Crouching down, she unlocked the bottom drawer and pulled out the envelope of pictures. Quickly, she flipped through them, coming to the photo negatives with Myungsoo’s name on them.

xxxxxx “If I just keep these,” she murmured, taking them out of the envelope. “Then I can-”

xxxxxx Eunmi was interrupted by the sound of a key being swiped in the door outside. Quickly, she shoved the pictures and negatives back into the drawer. Clambering to her feet, Eunmi grabbed a book and flung herself on the bed just as the dorm room door was opening. Trying to act as naturally as possible, Eunmi opened the book at a random spot as Sunhye walked in. She didn’t want her friend to know anything about the pictures. Or about her plan as to what she’ll do with them, for that matter. That would just ruin everything.

xxxxxx “How was the movie?” Eunmi asked nonchalantly, looking up from the book she’d been staring blankly at.

xxxxxx “Eh, alright,” Sunhye responded, putting her purse on her bed and pulling out a headband from her reddish brown hair. “Doojoon was a bit boring.”

xxxxxx Eunmi laughed. "Sunhye, if you want to hang out with him, you've got to accept that that’s just how he is. I’ve known him for more than ten years; he’s never been very interesting. And I don't think he ever will be, to be quite honest.”

xxxxxx Sunhye sighed as she flopped down on her bed, still dressed in her uniform. “So how was your evening?”

xxxxxx “Eh, so-so,” she responded with a shrug. “I got back a long time ago.”

xxxxxx “Hm,” Sunhye responded, getting back up and beginning to collect her pajamas to change into. “That must be why you’re still dressed in your day clothes. By the way, your book is upside down.”

xxxxxx “What are you trying to say?” Eunmi asked, already preparing an indignant excuse. But Sunhye was already out the door, headed down the hall to take a shower in their shared bathroom. “Aish.

 


Sorry, this is a short chapter. I was about to write more, but my mom suddenly wanted everyone to go out, so I had to rush it. xP