iv.

In Between the Cracks of Sunlight

 

i'm back heh

warning: not proof-read because i'm drowning in school work and i'm lazy ;p


"Howon and I are going out," Woohyun tells Sungyeol over breakfast. "Try to have fun?"

He gives Sungyeol a pointed look before shifting his eyes to Sungjong.

"He seems like a good kid."

Sungyeol looks at the younger boy as he serves guests their pancakes and orange juice, smiling brightly and bowing graciously. He's got a pastel blue shirt on that's too big for his slender frame, neck of the tee drooping to expose his collarbones. Over it, he wears a pink apron. His hair is in his eyes.

"He's got stupid hair," is all Sungyeol says aloud.

---

As Sungyeol was told at breakfast, Woohyun and Howon spend a day out alone. Having grown up in Busan and therefore being familiar with the place, Howon takes Woohyun to all the little places, like the boutique museums, the cornerstone coffee shops and the quieter stretches of beach.

Woohyun’s laugh is loud and obnoxious when an old woman thwacks Howon on the shoulder with her umbrella for blocking her way (it’s a narrow street! Howon insists), and his grin is way too goofy for someone who looks like they’ve walked out of a GQ catalogue when straight-faced. Howon rolls his eyes and walks on ahead as Woohyun clutches at his sides.

Later when they reach the beach, a little boy who looks about four or five runs smack into Woohyun, and falls backwards before either Howon or Woohyun can grab onto him.

“Sorry, ahjussi,” the boy says to Woohyun, wobbling as he tries to stand.

Who’s laughing now? Howon thinks smugly.

But Woohyun being Woohyun, good-naturedly barks out a laugh and says, “Yah! I’m your hyung, not an ahjussi!”

“Sorry, hyung?”

“It’s okay, kid,” Woohyun chuckles. “Why are you alone anyway?”

At that moment, a woman runs up to the three boys, red-faced and panting.

“Woojin-ah! You can’t just go running off like that!” she scolds.

“But hyungs are here so it’s okay!” Woojin pouts.

His mother lets out an exasperated sigh.

“I’m so sorry about this, boys. He’s just a little excited. It’s his first time here,” she says.

Woohyun crouches down to match Woojin’s height and smiles widely.

“Well then, why don’t you let hyung show you how to have fun here?” he offers, raising his eyes to the boy’s mother to seek approval.

“You can rest a bit! We’ll look out for him,” Howon adds, reassuring her.

At first, Woojin’s mother looks uncertain, but after a couple of minutes or assurance and even a pleading look from her little boy, she agrees to sit by the side and relax a bit while Howon and Woohyun entertained her son.

Woohyun shows the younger where to find the best seashells, carefully holding his hand, while Howon sits besides Woojin’s mother and takes pictures.

“Are you boys together?” she asks a little hesitantly, as if afraid to offend Howon.

Howon nods. “It’s been a little over a year.”

She smiles gently and Howon sends up a silent prayer of thanks for her acceptance.

“He’s a very lovely young man,” she comments, and it’s Howon’s turn to smile fondly.

It’s strange, Howon thinks, how well they get along, considering they have close to nothing in common. Woohyun is loud, precocious and temperamental, not to mention much too involved in the lives of other people who could definitely live without his meddling. But then Howon thinks about the way he takes care of little kids and cooks breakfast for Sungyeol and plays The Beatles on the piano on rainy nights, fingers gliding over the ivory keys and tongue slurring on the complicated pronunciation of the English words.

Howon remembers the first time he met Woohyun. The latter had been late for their theory of music lecture, and when he’d walked in, he was sopping wet.

“What on earth, Nam Woohyun-sshi?” their professor asked.

The entire class (including Howon) stared at the drenched student.

“Ah, there was a lady who lost her umbrella to the wind, so I lent her mine and ran for it. It won’t happen again, sir,” he grins his ridiculous goofball grin and bows.

Howon remembers thinking Woohyun was completely insane, but when he slipped into the seat next to Howon’s and asked to borrow an eraser and a few tissues, Howon was at a loss for words. Normally, he’d be saying something sarcastic or making a joke, but all he wanted to do then was to dab at the droplets of water sticking to Woohyun’s forehead and eyelashes.

He took a risk and he did just that, and here they are nearly a year later.

So when he answers, “Yes, he really is,” he finds himself meaning every single word.

--

They leave after (very reluctantly) bidding goodbye to Woojin and his mother.

Sunggyu greets them at the counter where he’s sitting and writing out the menu for the night’s dinner.

“Had a good time?” he asks.

“Yeah, we did,” Howon answers earnestly while Woohyun nods happily.

“Good.”

“Your friend, Sungyeol-sshi. He’s gone out, by the way,” Sunggyu adds.

Woohyun nearly jumps out of his skin. “Out? Out where?”

Sunggyu finishes the menu and pins it to the notice board hanging near the front door.

“Sorry,” he says, and settles back into his chair to face the other two.

“He went out with Sungjong, weirdly enough. Almost three hours ago. I saw them leave together. Sungjong seemed to be chatting pretty animatedly so I’m assuming they’re on decent terms,” Sunggyu continues.

Howon raises an eyebrow and Woohyun paces back and forth.

“Sungyeol went out with Sungjong?"

 


um. hi?

i know i know it's a yeoljong fic but wooya deserves some love!!!!!! and yeah. i know i took ages to update. i'm sorry ;A; 

i will try to update as often as i can, but no promises because i'm studying for a major exam that's about 4 months away so yes thank you so much for subscribing and being so kind and patient, i will do my best to deliver! i have tumblr though so if you want to drop me a message you can here!

(also i got my copy of destiny today and i got the sungjong photocard i nearly cried i was so happy. aren't the songs so great??? ヽ(;▽;)ノ )

this is the photo that inspired this chapter

 

 
 
aren't they lovely? 。◕‿◕。