i.

In Between the Cracks of Sunlight

Sungyeol’s phone buzzes loudly at 6:17am on the first Thursday of his first summer alone.

He isn’t at all happy.

From: The Loser Nam

pack ur bags. we're leaving campus.

Sungyeol texts back, peering blearily at his phone.

To: The Loser Nam

what the hell are you talking about?

Woohyun’s reply is almost instantaneous.

From: The Loser Nam

i'm coming up. howons here too.

Before Sungyeol can even groan in displeasure, he hears his front door swish open, followed by a very loud, annoyingly chipper voice yelling, “Good morning, princess! Rise and shine, we’re going on a trip!”

Sungyeol really regrets giving Woohyun the spare key.

He throws his comforter over his head and feigns sleep. Maybe if he stays under the covers for a while, Woohyun will leave.

“Sungyeol,” Woohyun yells again.

Sungyeol sighs and counts to himself, “1… 2…”

“Lee Sungyeol, I’m coming in so you’d better get your out of bed now,” Woohyun squawks.

2 seconds, Sungyeol notes. New record.

“Hey, Yeol,” a second voice says. Sungyeol lets out a breath. At least Howon is quiet.

Woohyun, meanwhile, is pulling a suitcase out of Sungyeol’s closet. “Howon, you pack his stuff. I’ll get him up,” he instructs.

Sungyeol is still hiding under his covers.

Woohyun stomps over to Sungyeol’s bed and snatches the comforter away, exposing a very unhappy Sungyeol.

“What the hell do you want?” he snaps. “Explain now, or get out of my apartment.”

Woohyun rolls his eyes, accustomed to Sungyeol’s jerk-y demeanour, coupled with the fact that his friend has never been a morning person, and says, “Well, it's summer. We’re on break. I figured we should do something fun!”

Sungyeol rolls over to face his best friend.

“I don't want to do anything, so kindly go away,” Sungyeol glares.

Woohyun sighs before moving to sit on the edge of Sungyeol’s bed.

Quietly, he says, “Yeol, I know it isn’t easy, but it’s been almost six months since M—“

“Don't you dare finish that,” Sungyeol spits. For the first time in ages, Woohyun actually shuts up.

Sungyeol looks at the digital clock on his bedside table. It’s 6:30 in the morning. He really does not need people barging into his apartment and running their mouths, preaching to him about stupid stuff he doesn’t want to hear.

Woohyun stands up and for a second, Sungyeol thinks he’s really going to give up and leave but of course, it’s never that simple with his pig-headed friend.

Said friend very calmly steps away from Sungyeol’s bed and says, “Howon. Plan B.”

Wait, what? Plan B?

Howon, who had been stuffing various items of clothing into Sungyeol’s suitcase, promptly stands, makes his way to Sungyeol and proceeds to lift Sungyeol off his bed, throwing him over his shoulder.

“Put me down, you jerk, what the , this is kidnap!” Sungyeol splutters angrily, throwing his fists against Howon’s muscled back.

Howon doesn't even flinch.

ing football players, Sungyeol thinks vehemently.

Howon walks out of Sungyeol’s apartment, deaf to Sungyeol’s passionate protesting, and heads for the elevator, taking Sungyeol down to the car park where he nonchalantly shoves the tall, flailing boy into his car and straps him in.

“Don't even bother trying to escape because you know I’ll find you,” Howon shrugs casually.

“ you,” Sungyeol scowls, temper rising. This is ridiculous.

Howon is, as usual, unfazed. “I don’t think Woohyun would approve of that,” he smirks.

Sungyeol can’t decide whom he wants to kill more— Howon, or himself.

His traitor of a friend then leaves to go and help his boyfriend raid Sungyeol’s closet.

Sungyeol slumps against the leather car seats and brings a hand up to massage his temples. He’s never understood Woohyun’s penchant for grand plans. Frankly, they kind of really piss him off because he’s always been forced into them and they (more often than not) end with Sungyeol having to purchase some sort of medication or explain to various deans and heads of departments why they shouldn’t be expelled.

Sungyeol huffs. Woohyun is really ing stupid.

Sungyeol sits in silence, wallowing in his own irritation. He doesn’t want to leave his dorm. He doesn’t want to go on vacation with Woohyun and Howon. He really just wants to spend the summer sleeping. You can’t actually be mad at anything if you’re asleep, can you?

And honestly, Sungyeol doesn’t even need a stupid vacation. He’s perfectly happy—

“You’re not happy, Sungyeol. You’re far from it, actually,” he hears his brother’s voice in his head, straight out of the conversation they had two nights ago over they phone.

Reluctantly (and solely privately), Sungyeol admits that he hasn’t been happy in months. Not since Myung—

“Okay, we’re all set! Your suitcase is in the back,” Woohyun’s irritating voice floods the car.

Sungyeol takes a moment to scrutinize Woohyun’s appearance. He’s wearing a sleeveless white cotton tee and the most pretentious pair of orange Bermudas Sungyeol has even seen. He does not hesitate to vocalize this thought.

“Yeah, well, you’re in a Nirvana shirt you’ve had since we were fifteen and your hair looks like a bird’s nest,” Woohyun shoots back.

“Whatever,” Sungyeol mutters and folds his arms across his chest. He settles on glaring out the window.

Howon starts the car and Woohyun puts on some music (Green Day. Woohyun has good taste, at least).

“Busan, here we come!” he sings.

“What?” Sungyeol shrieks. Busan is five ing hours from Seoul.

No one bothers to respond to him.

Sungyeol mentally calculates the odds of him surviving if he tried to jump out of a moving vehicle. However, he concludes that they aren’t very high.

Defeated, he lets out a sigh before leaning back and screwing his eyes shut. Maybe this is all one big, horrific nightmare that he just needs to wake up from. Eyes still closed, he asks Woohyun to throw something at him. Woohyun happily obliges, chucking a bottle of mineral water straight at Sungyeol’s stomach.

“Ow, that hurt,” Sungyeol says angrily.

Woohyun's response is lost when he realises that no, this isn’t a dream I'm awake...

This is going to be one long ing vacation.


 

[a/n: hi this is my first time writing a chaptered fic! I decided to write it after I made the movie poster graphic at the top of the page. Yeah. I'll be updating this pretty quickly I think because I'm on summer break myself :) I hope you enjoy it. I know there isn't much plot in this starter chapter but I wanted to try and show Sungyeol's reluctance to do anything? Yeah. There will definitely be more movement in the subsequent chapters.]