100th Day Anniversary

100th Day Anniversary

The darkening sky hints the arrival of heavy rain. Howling of wind hurries the pedestrian to find a shelter before the rain pours. Deafening strike of lighting flashes across the dark sky, illuminating the half-empty street of Seoul. 6.00pm, the rain finally reveals itself to the world. Wooyoung revives from his daydream when the waitress delivers his caffé latte. ‘Thank you’. He receives his drink and offers a polite smile to the lady. Wooyoung wraps his hands around the hot drink to steal some warmth from it. He takes a deep breath before averting his gaze to the vacant seat in front of him. This is a coffee-house that treasures precious memory of their story, he thought. The background music of the coffee-house is still the same as last time he came, so tranquilizing and romantic, it is his lover’s favourite song. Back to old days, Nichkhun always like to poke Wooyoung’s cheek with his finger from the opposite seat and Nichkhun also used to sip his drink noisily while complaining how Taecyeon bullied him in class. Nichkhun likes to lean on the table when Wooyoung enthusiastically telling him how his life is contented with the presence of Nichkhun. He wants to share with Nichkhun every sweet and bitter of his story because Nichkhun was the vitamin of his life. Wooyoung shakes his head and brings himself back to reality. His smile falters as the unwanted memories creep into his mind one by one. Sweet memories can be bitter.

 

‘Boo..om.’ Once again the thunder violently cracked the dark sky. Wooyoung looks out the window but the downpour has no sign of subside, this means he would stuck in the Starbucks for at least another hour. Not a bad idea actually as Wooyoung has no intention to rot in his dorm as today is their 100th day anniversary. The rain continues to roar above the sky of Seoul. The wind blows so fiercely that it fractures the tree branches. The blonde hair boy tucks his hands inside the pocket of his jacket as a result of coldness. Today, the pitter-pattering of rain is unusually soothing for Wooyoung, it brings back the old memories of the boy. The memories flash across his vision like a slide-show, he sees imaginary image of his lover and hear him humming his favourite song. The boy can’t help but to be trapped in the past again. He loves him too much. In the past, Nichkhun would warm Wooyoung with his body when the little one feels cold. Nichkhun was always beside him during rainy day and they would cuddle against each other to combat the chilly weather. Sometimes Wooyoung would also hide inside Nichkhun’s blanket when there is only two of them in the dorm... Wooyoung’s eyes sparkle under the reflection of the dim light as he reminisces the best moment of his life. ‘Tsk…’ He chuckles helplessly.

 

‘Young ah~’.  A familiar voice catches Wooyoung’s attention. He repositions his body and tries to seek the owner of the voice. ‘Lee Junho!’ Wooyoung arches his eyebrows, clearly surprised when he sees his best friend approaching him  with his hair drenched by the rain. ‘It’s so cool outside.’ Junho sniffles and rubs his hands against each other.  ‘Hyung, you are alone right? Can I sit with you?’ The younger one shamelessly sits on the vacant seat before Wooyounng can react. ‘Yah… Lee Junho!’ Wooyoung pouts with his chubby cheeks but he let Junho go this time. ‘Hmm… Why are you here? I thought you have tutorial today?’ ‘I skipped it.’ Junho answers casually to Wooyoung’s question. ‘Because the class is so boring~’ The younger boy adds, giving his hyung the best puppy face he can before the elder start nagging him for skipping the class again. Woooyoung shakes his head in disagreement but he shares a grin on his face, he can never resist the puppy face of his dongsaeng.

 

There is a moment of silence between the two friends after the little commotion. Junho is  busy sipping his iced white chocolate mocha while Wooyoung starts to space out again. ‘Hyung what is this?’ Junho stands up from his seat and tries to snatch the exquisite box beside the unguarded boy. ‘Yah… ’ The surprised boy swiftly hide his precious item inside his jacket before Junho can reach it. Wooyoung pats the mysterious box gently and gives the younger one a victorious smile.  Junho frowns a little before he continues teasing, ‘Is it a present for Khun hyung?’ Junho smiles conspiratorially and arches his eyes into crescent moon shape, waiting to see the older boy blush. Junho has no bad intention, he just wanted to tease Wooyoung as a friendly revenge, he knows his hyung’s weakness is always Nichkhun, however, he teased with the wrong joke, in a wrong timing. Wooyoung shifts his gaze to the seemingly unstoppable rain, he slumps his shoulder and gives out a light sigh, leaving Junho’s question unanswered in the air.

 

‘Isn’t that Khun hyung!?’ says Junho excitedly when he sees the familiar figure of Nichkhun. He tries to greet Nichkhun but his movement freezes as he witnesses the intimacy of Nichkhun and Victoria, the famous girl of JYP university. ‘But why is he holding Victoria’s hand?’ Junho splutters, obviously panick. What had happened between Wooyoung and Nichkhun? He ponders. Just at the right moment, Nichkhun seems to have noticed the existence of Wooyoung, he walks gently towards the stunned boy and stands in front of Wooyoung. ‘Khunnie….’ ‘Khun sweetheart, who are them?’ interrupted Victoria before Wooyoung can finish his words. She clings on Nichkhun’s left arm and gives Nichkhun an innocent look. ‘He is Wooyoung, Vic, my best friend, and he is Junho.’ Nichkhun exclaims. ‘He is what…? best…’ Junho wants to refute but Wooyoung holds his hand, signing him to hold back. Junho is sure that his hyung is shaking at the moment but he does not know what to do. Wooyoung gulps before he continues, ‘Hi Victory, I am Wooyoung.’ He fakes a smile, trying hard to hold his tears back. He does not know whether his camouflage succeeded but he is sure that he does not want to show his weak side to his dongsaeng, to Khunnie or even worse to his love rival.

 

Wooyoung is so lost at this moment, he feels that his mixed emotions can collapse him in any moment. ‘Baby, I am hungry, can we go eat the chocolate cake now?’ Victoria points her finger to the counter and warps her arms around Nichkhun, trying to convince the latter. ‘Okay, okay… We are leaving… Wooyoungie... Please take care....’ Victoria drags Nichkhun away before he completes his farewell to Wooyoungie. Nichkhun pinches Victory’s cheek as a punishment for her mischievous behavior and that makes Victoria to hold Nichkhun’s hand even tighter. Nichkhun combs Victoria’s hair softly and he sniffs the scent of his lover. The girl smiles shyly and the couple exchange soft words on each other’s ears. They enjoy themselves although they are in public area. The couple does not even bother to look back at the two boys. Junho is confused. ‘Hyung… You and Khun hyung…’ Wooyoung grasps his cloth tightly and nods his head. Junho knows he can do nothing to comfort his hyung, he just wants to be Wooyoung’s silent companion for now.

 

Wooyoung’s POV:

Our 100th day anniversary is in two days and I have prepared a surprise event for Khunnie. I can’t wait to see his reaction as I know he will definitely like the bracelet I bought for him, it is a couple bracelet that craved our names on it! But you came right on time and uttered with your head down, you mumbled that we can’t meet anymore, I have not misheard, have I? I know Khunnie is close to Victoria recently but I pretended I did not notice anything. Why does it have to be in this way?

As I see the genuine smile of Khunnie when he is with Victoria, I realize that he deserves a normal love story and not the forbidden one. The moment Khunnie presses a kiss on Victoria’s forehead, I finally understand that a prince should be paired with a princess. I am really happy for Khnunnie to found someone he really love, and loves him so much as well, but it just hurt me a little when I recollect the sweet moment we had on our 100th day anniversary. Victoria is a beautiful girl that can cook Khunnie delicious Thai and Korean dishes, they are perfect together.

-end of POV-

 

Wooyoung clenches his fists and out the coffee-house despite the heavy downpour that might catch him flue. This is not his main concern now, he just need a way to release the emotions in his mind before he mentally breakdown, he dances in the rain and let his emotion out. Junho follows his hyung’s pace, he notices that there are droplets in Woooyung’s eyes but he is not sure whether it is rain or his tears. It is hurt to see his hyung behave like this. Junho bows his head and hesitated for a moment. He gathers all his courage and  hugs his hyung protectively, whispering in a soft tone but loud enough for Wooyoung to hear it . 'Hyung… I won’t let anyone to hurt you anymore.’ This is a promise that Junho makes to his hyung. Wooyoung gives the younger boy an understanding smile  before he buries his head on Junho’s shoulder, sobbing regretfully for loving someone that he should not. His body is shivering in fear, in despair or maybe in coldness. The sky complements his sadness with deep howling of wind and rain.