Chapter 1

Heal My Phobia!

A sudden tug at the covers caused Lay to jolt, forced into wakefulness from his pleasant dreams. Scowling, he lunged upwards, his eyes as wild as his hair as he glanced at the culprit. His mother smiled warmly, her old eyes bright with excitement. Lay knew what she was smiling at. Today was the day. The day she was forcing him to go to the hospital. 

Diving back into the bed he dragged the pillow over his eyes, there was no way she could make him go. His mother scowled, her arms on her hips as she ripped the pillow from his fingers before beating him with it.  'Your going. Dont you dare make me force you out of that bed' she grumbled as she worked around Lay, attempting to salvage what clothing she could from his bomb of a room. 

'Ugh!' Lay groaned as he rolled onto his side. Well, even if i have to go. I wont talk, he thought to himself. There was no way he would talk to a doctor. As his mother left the room he felt her pitying eyes. From the pile of washing she held, she stretched out a tired hand and brushed his cheek. 'You know im only trying to help...and besides...its a lovely day! The sun's shining!' she smiled weakly as she shuffled out of the room.

For a moment Lay remained still. For a moment Lay didnt move, he sat frozen, glancing at his toes and playing with his fingers. 'You better hurry incase it rains!' His mother's voice echoed along the stairway. 

Suddenly frantic, a wide-eyed Lay sprang around the room. Hurling his body through piles of clothes as he searched for something clean.As he rummaged, a small splinter of light brushed his cheeks. Turning to the window, he quickly lashed out at the curtain, tearing them open so vigourously that he could of broke them. 

Sunlight burst into the room. It's bright glow warming his skin. Grinning slightly he closed his eyes for a moment. He loved the sun. Its warm rays, the blue skies. Glancing outwards he admired the lush blue. It was these days that made him extremely happy. Leaning against the window he examined the sky desperately for clouds. Squinting, he could make out the faint outline of some white puffy clouds. The bane of  his life.

Turning once more he lunged into the clothes pile and began to roughly change. Three shirts (all water-proof), two pairs of pants (both waterproof). thick heavy working boots (those too were waterproof) and a thick jacket (and oh, did i mention that it too was waterproof?). Almost satisfied, Lay glanced around briefly for his hat. He couldnt see it, panicking, a lump formed in his throat. Tears began to spring to his eyes as he panicked. Where was it? Where was his hat? 

Frantically the room grew messier as he panicked. He needed that hat. Suddenly upset, his lip quivered as he pulled his hair slightly in irritation. Teary eyed he stamped down the stairs, the heavy thumping signifying to his mother that something was wrong. 'Your hats here, honey' she said lowly, the knitted beany in her tired hands.

A smile cracked across Lays face as he tore it from her fingers, not bothering to thank her. Grinning with a cheshire smile he dawned the knitted headware and glanced around. There was only two more things he needed. Heading for the umbrella wrap, he pulled out a golf umbrella, one of the large, thick ones that kept out both rain and snow, and a smaller, pocket sized one for emergencies.

Breathing out, Lay attempted to relax his mind as he did everytime he left the house. Calming his beating heart, he and his mother stepped out into the blistering heat. It greeted Lay so suddenly that his face flushed immediately. Pink cheeked, they walked at a leisurly pace, Lay continously glanced warily at the sky, nervous as he glanced for clouds. If it rained. He wouldnt beable to handle it.

'Honey...its very warm..dont you atleast want to take one layer off?..' his mother asked weakly, despite her optimism, she knew he wouldnt do it. As expected, Lay shook his head vigourously before opening his umbrella up. 'If it begins to rain, i'll catch it off guard. See? It wont get me wet at all'.

As they walked into the city. Lay could feel people staring. Completely baffled by the sheer amount of clothes he wore. He glanced at them too in surprise, how on earth could they walk about in flipflops and normal tops? Shaking his head he pulled his umbrella down further, keeping it too slightly over his mothers head. He didnt like it when people knew got wet. It felt horrible, damp, sticky, ugh. 

Shivering slightly at the thought Lay bumped abruptly into his mothers back. Startled he raised the umbrella slightly, owl eyed, he blinked as he glanced at the sign. 'The Seoul Institution Of  Mental Health'. Lay almost felt himself growling at the last few words. When people said things like that it always angered him. Wanting to punch the sign, he edged around it and through the double doors. Keeping the umbrella up.

His mother glanced at him, a weak smile and slight embarassment as she flushed. 'Honey, were indoors now, you can put it down now..' she mumbled, placing a gentle hand of encouragement on his shoulder. Lay shook his head in disbelief. There was no way he would take it down. Rain could get in here anywhere! The windows were open, there was no way he would chance it!

As they waited in the reception area, Lay glanced around curiously at the posters, his face slightly flushing from the heat now. One of the posters depicted a doctor hugging a patient encouragingly, above their heads the words 'Were here to help' stood out boldly. Turning up his lip, Lay turned away sulking hmph i dont need any help he grumped.

A nurse nervously kneeled slightly infront of Lay. Feeling intimidated, he pulled the umbrella down over his head, forcing her outside of it. Her face irritated him, he could see the forced niceness. Slightly alarmed the nurse spoke shyly 'the..the doctor will see you now' she smiled warmly.

Lay jumped immdeiately to his feet and stormed in the direction she had pointed to. Reading the doctors notice, he scowled further from the door .'Doctor Xiah'. Hmph, he already sounded like an . As he made to storm through the door, he suddenly couldnt move. Alarmed he glanced around. The umbrella was too big for the door!

Panicking, Lay attempted to force it through the gap. He wasnt going to lose to a door. No way. He could faintly hear the snapping sounds of the metal, sending him into a deep panick as his breath grew un-even. No calming words from his mother would help. There was no way that he would let the rain get on him.

'Lay. It wont fit. And i'd appreciate if you didn't break my door' the unknown voice spoke, his voice warm and low, and completely intimidating to Lay. Gritting his teeth, Lay attempted to force it through again 'Want a bet?' he hissed with a smirk. Yet despite his words, the umbrella simply wouldnt fit.

As he glanced down, he could see the feet of the doctor. His shiny, expensive looking shoes closer than he had expected. 'Your going to have to take it down' he replied bluntly. 

Lay felt his lip tremble slightly before he smirked. Momentarily, he lowered the umbrella, hurling himself quickly through the door before re-opening it inside the door. With a sharp grin, he heard his mother sigh behind him. Warily he brushed his shoulders. Phew. No rain.

He heard the Doctor let out a low laugh as he gestured to the seats. From the windows, Lay glanced anxiously out of the window. His heart calmed as he realised there were no clouds, the lump that had been forming in his throat fading slightly.

'So.' The doctor spoke, snapping Lays attention towards him. Peeking up through the umbrella, Lay was surprised by how young and fairly good looking he was. Unusual, considering the previousl doctors he'd seen. 'So.' Lay replied back bluntly, stiff lipped.

'Your mother has brought you to me as she is worried about your...growing fear of rain..' the doctor spoke. 'As this is a mental health clinic, we have many ways of helping people with fears like-' his words were cut off by Lays fist hitting the table. From underneath the umbrella he scowled viciously. 

'I dont need your help' he hissed, gripping the handle of the umbrella tighter. The doctor, seeming un-initmidated simply raised an eyebrow with a slight smile, resting his head against his hand. This guy irritated Lay. He was too informal. Too...unlike a doctor...

'Why dont you like the rain?' he questioned.

Lay felt his jaw tightened. He didnt want to tell him. He hated it. The touch of the rain on his skin. The feeling of being caught out in it or being drenched. It made him feel alone and empty. He hated the grey murky skies that it left behind and the idea of letting it touch his skin terrified him.

On recieving the silence. Doctor Xiah simply nodded.Turning to his mother, he began to speak as if Lay were not completely there. 'I know of an...instituion further out int he country side that would be perfect for your son. They have a building of their own with dormitories and with a use of structured activities and skills, they will help your son grow away from his fears'. 

His mother seemed completey ecstatic. He, on the other hand, felt revolted. There was no way he would go. Nope. No. Never. 

'Would you like that Lay?' his mother beamed hopefully 'they can help you get rid of this fear' she smiled a she placed a hand on his muscular arms.He shrugged it off immediately and avoided her gaze. 

'There are multiple people that attend the dormitories that have phobias too, we also have a high record amount of people who leave with their fears almost non-existent. 

Lay could tell what they were doing. They were trying to bribe him. He felt sure as the doctor continued. 'Its very close to the beach, so often some activities take place there as well as hiking, camping and various other activies' he continued. Lay knew he was saying these deliberately. He was encouraging him. And Lay could slowly feel it working. It sounded exciting. The beach sounded enticing, warm sand and the sun...the sun..

'It hardly ever rains there too' the doctor mumbled, throwing in the last detail with a cheshire like smile, his blonde hair covering hsi soft eyes slightly.

Lays head snapped up immediately, now THAT had him interested in going. No rain? Great! His heart lifted as he grinned, his heart beating eratically.

..

Within a few days, Lay's bag was already packed. The inevitable idea of no rain thrilled him! Slightly trembling from excitement he whirled down the stairs, clad in his usual outfit which consisted of countless layers of waterproof clothing. He beamed as he saw his mothers equally excited face. She hugged him warmly, pinching his cheek slightly as she wiped away a tear.

Soon, he would be escorted there by Doctor Xiah himself. They would travel by train through the lush greenery of the countryside to the blistering beach. Lay felt himself almost giddy with excitement. He just wanted away from the rain. From the raging clouds and the touch of the falling water. As he and his mother exchanged an emotional glance, he knew this would mean alot to her. He knew this would help her. She had been distraught when he suddenly started acting this way. And it stopped her from doing so much. She couldnt work a regular job. She couldnt have a relationship...and when he thought about it deeply, he felt guilt-ridden.

As the door chapped, the feeling of self pity hid itself away leaving room for excitement. Hurling himself at the door, he met the eyes of Doctor Xiah. Unlike his usual attire (a doctors uniform) he was dressed casually, tigh fitting jeans an a loose shirt. A light sheen of sweat caused him to flush as he smiled. 'Ready to go?' he grinned. Lay returned an eager nod as he turned and nodded his mother goodbye. They shared a tight hug, it felt odd. He would be somewhere new. Somewhere without his mother and her comfort. Her warm wake-ups and her gentle kisses.

Holding back the tears, he shot his umbrella up as he waved goodbye. His body almost trembled with excitement as Xiah led him to the trainstation. Its silver metallic exterior a beaming cornucopia of light. 

The train journey seeme short to Lay. As he had glanced out the window, the view had grown greener. The hills lush and beautiful in the blistering summer, only passing by the occasional small house in the empty expanse of land.

As they grew closer, Lay could smell the seasalt in the air. It drifted in through the small windows, ruffling his hair as he closed his eyes. Grinning into the expanse of blue sky, he felt glad now that he was going. He wouldnt have to worry as much about the weather, but he would still stay all wrapped up, he nodded to himself.

As they reached there stop, the sweltering heat was already affecting Lay. His face had grown pinker as they had progressed, his clothing not letting in any air. Flushing slightly, he fanned his face under the umbrella. Glancing around, he beamed as he saw the beach. White and sandy as the soft waves lapped against it. He could already feel the sand between his toes. To him, this was all a holiday. As they walked, he glanced at the pavement, even here the sand had stuck to the ground. Small fields plumed bright flowers around them, as if lighting up a way to the building.

As they walked, a sudden slam against his back alarmed him, causing him to stumble, dropping the umbrella. Suddenly frantic, tears began to build up as he scampered for the umbrella. Panicking he glanced up for rain, pulling himself back into the umbrella's shade. 

Now angry, he glanced for the culprit. Wiping the sand from his waterproof trousers he glanced at a boy who stood slightly slouched, breathless with his hands on his knees. His tousled hair covered his pink cheek.

'S-sorry!' he bumbled between ragged breaths. Before Lay could wreak havoc, abusing the boy for daring to get him wet, Xiah spoke with a laugh. 'Suho, what are you doing?'

Suho grinned slightly at Xiah before relaying a worried expression .'Im getting old you know, i have to stay fit. What if i end up not being able to move? I need to run! I have to keep fit!' he bawled, flailing his arms slightly.

Lay felt an insult growing from within. With a cheshire grin he got to his feet feeling sly. 'What? Afraid your getting old so soon?' he hissed with a grin, his umbrella covering his face slightly.

Suho suddenly looked horrified. His expression crumbled as he suddenly began to examine himself in a mad panic. Lunging at Lay, he grabbed his shoulders vigourously 'Do i look old!?' he panicked, his eyes alert as he glanced at himself 'Do i look old!?' he bubbled sadly before running off in a wild panic, running his fingers across his face.

Lay felt the irritation grow again as his eyes widened in shock. Well. This was going to be an eventful place, from what he could tell, they were mad!