1

Painful Heaven

With all the strength I have left, I focus on my feet. Right. Left. Right. Left. The rain makes my body cold. I am stiff, no longer will I be able to go on like this.

My eyelids fall, but I fight them until I can no longer battle. I go lifeless and collapse on the cold, wet concrete.

 

 

Warmth encloses my body. I slowly open my eyes, inspecting my surroundings. A knock on the door brought me back to earth. Staring at the door, you slowly open it. No, you are human, you didn’t have wings.

Setting the tray down, you sit on the bed. I flinch as you put your hand out towards me. Your fingertips touch my forehead. With those soft fingers, I close my eyes and enjoy the feeling.

 

 

I am in bad condition, I know. Every day, I struggle. I focus on breathing. That’s why I don’t say a word, for if I do, I might die. Telling me to breath in breath out is what I have programmed myself to do.

I don’t know why you are so kind, for I have never done anything for you. Every day, you care for me. You probably already know my fate, so why are you dedicating yourself to me?

The first kiss on the forehead takes me by surprise. The warmth, the contact, everything. As you do it more thought, the more I crave it. The warm feeling that develops is my drug.

 

 

I think you already know that today is the last. At the end of the day, my fate will be springing, but you don’t tell me. All you do is kiss my forehead.

The warmth comes back to me, radiating through my body. Smiling, I fall asleep, feeling the most peace I have ever felt in years.