Chapter 1 - Hi, weird guy?

Sunflower Hospital

_______________________________________________________

*******************************************************

________________________________________________________________________

************************************************************************

 

A subtle smile greeted them both.

 

From the carpets to the neatly arranged pens on the table, everything in the room was blindingly white. It seemed so flawlessly clean, Yesung found himself hesitating to even step onto the pure white rug. The acidic smell of bleach only deepened the impression of being in a lab, rather than an office.

 

“Thank you, Donghae. You've been a great help.”

 

Donghae grinned even wider (if that was even possible) and did a happy little jump.

 

“If you need any help, anything...” began Donghae breathlessly.

 

“That wouldn't be necessary, but thank you. Please, return to your room now.”

 

No matter how gentle his smile seemed, Dr Park was obviously exhausted. Thick black was splashed generously below his eyes.

 

“Please have a seat, Kim Jongwoon.”

 

As Yesung did so, his face unchanging, Leeteuk just stared in bewilderment.

 

The young but experienced doctor had never seen a fresh patient who could actually comprehend him. Offering a seat was just routine politeness. Truth was, more often than not the new patient would just stare blankly, start to rummage through the office, or blurt out incomprehensible sounds.

 

Despite the bubbling curiosity inside him, Dr Park kept his face calm and polite. After all, there will be plenty of time to analise the man across the desk, down to the fleeting little thoughts buzzing in his mind.

 

“Okay...So, tell me about yourself.”

 

Again, the question was protocol.

 

But before Yesung could answer, though it seemed highly unlikely he would do so, the door slammed open. An excited Donghae burst into the office.

 

“Doctor! Doctor! Sungmin's trying to kill himself again!!!”

 

Suppressing the urge to roll his eyes, Leeteuk ran out with Donghae. Sungmin had a new suicide plan almost every week.

 

With the office suddenly empty, Yesung's face changed dramatically. The absent glow in his eyes was gone, replaced by a slightly worried expression. It was as if a mask had fallen, as if he'd washed away a heavy layer of makeup. All of a sudden, Yesung seemed perfectly normal.

 

And that's exactly what he was.

 

So far, so good... I just hope I won't have to stay here for long. I never thought pretending to be insane would be so tiring! But soon, I'll-

 

“Hey.”

 

Jumping up at the unexpected voice, Yesung scanned the antique office, but couldn't see anyone at all. What the hell?! Am I hearing things?? Am I a crazy nutjob after all??

 

Finally, a thin boy stepped out of the white floral curtains. Was he here all this time? Why the hell was he hiding there?!

 

Oh, right. I'm in a freakin madhouse.

 

Ready to run for his life, Yesung carefully analysed the stranger. Short black hair, dark eyes, jeans. He seemed surprisingly normal, maybe even attractive. Yesung was aware, though, how much looks can mislead.

 

“You're not crazy. Aren't you?” stated the unknown man with a smirk.

 

The words struck Yesung like lightning. He'd never even imagined he'd be busted so early. And what's with this guy, popping up right out of the blue?! How the hell did that creep know? Was his mask that transparent??

 

Yesung was ready to cry now, bright crystal droplets forming inside his eyes. This staging of madness was his only plan, the only way he could...-

 

“Chill out. I won't tell anyone.”

 

Again, Yesung was taken aback. He eyed the smirking boy distastefully. There was something about the boy's self-satisfied smile that Yesung did not like at all. But also, there was something about it that drew him in, like a TV show that's not really your style, but still keeps you glued to the screen.

 

“I'll keep my mouth shut” assured the stranger, “But on one condition.”

 

Yesung sighed heavily. He was still worried, but strangely relieved too. At least, there was now a person he didn't have to lie to, and could perhaps talk to when they find themselves were alone. Maybe, that's just what he needed to keep him sane in the months to come.

 

“Fine. What is it?” I'll just do whatever he asks. But if he breaks his promise... He'll be in a different kind of hospital. That is, in emergency care.

_______________________________________________________

*******************************************************

________________________________________________________________________

************************************************************************