#5: Nameless Memories_Part 2

Timeless Memories
 
#5: Nameless Memories-Part 2

 

_July 1997_

Friends?

  I was leaning in front of Shindong’s gate when a little girl with our school uniform walking towards me. I immediately straighten my position and greeting her with a smile.

“Good morning, Hyukjae oppa.” She greeted me when she’s near me and replied my smile.

“Morning, Gyuri ah~”

She stood beside me while both of us waiting for Shindong. This was our routine every morning since this past four months. Both of us will wait in front of Shindong’s house to walk to school together. I still remember meeting her and her mother at the playground where we always play soccer every evening.

 

~~~***~~~

 

After waiting for certain time, at last Shindong showed himself with the ball on the hands.

“Yah~ What’s take you so long?” Sungmin complained. Shindong ignored Sungmin’s question. He tried to catched his breath.

“Let’s just continue playing tomorrow. I’ll bring all of you to somewhere.” After a few seconds, he ordered us.

“But I still want to play.” I pouted and looked at Donghae’s direction. He nodded. Seems like he also agreed with me.

“Aish, just listen to me okay! You will like it. Ppali! Pack your things.”

He didn’t give us a chance to argued and just walked away giving us no choice. Like it or not, we quickly packed our things and followed his lead. He didn’t say anything to where he’s bringing us. Just after a few minutes, he stopped and swaying his hand to asked us to walk faster. Once we reached him, we walked together until he stopped at the rectangular table with two long benches on the sides. We saw a long haired woman with a little girl with ponytail in front of her.

“Owh, you are here. Are these all your friends?” The woman asked Shindong while she’s smiling at us.

“Yes, this is Lee Hyukjae, Lee Donghae and Lee Sungmin.” Shindong introduced us to her. We bowed and greeted her to show respect.

Then we know that she’s the new neighbor that lives between my house and Shindong’s. Her name is Mrs. Park Sohyun and her daughter is Park Gyuri. Her husband didn’t stay with them as he’s an army. But, he does go home once in awhile. She invited us to have a picnic with her and her daughter there. While the three of us battling with ourselves whether to join or not, Shindong already sat on the benches and served himself a sandwich.

There were also many other foods in the basket on the table. I eyed on hamburger inside. It looked so delicious.  I heard the growling sound. I don’t know whether it mine or Sungmin’s or Donghae’s. But, the next thing I knew, the three of us joined Shindong’s sitting at the benches and ate the delicious food brought by Mrs. Park.

 

~~~***~~~

 

  That’s how we met with this little girl named Park Gyuri. She’s new in this neighborhood. She’s a nine years old girl, means she’s in grade three and she’s attending the same school as us. That’s why she’s here with me, Lee Hyukjae, waiting for our friend, Shin Donghee. I looked at her. She’s hugging her lunch box while humming a song which I don’t know the title. At the first impression, I thought she’s an arrogant kid because her features didn’t show friendliness. However, after being friend with her for some time, I find her friendly, witty and funny too sometimes. Although she’s cute, but she’s can be sharp at times. Her choice of words were not the one that always used by someone on her age. At that certain of times, I felt like I’m talking to someone older than nine years old girl. But, overall she’s okay.

I’m proud to say that she’s close with me, and Shindong. Well, with Donghae and Sungmin too, but she’s closer with the two of us. Maybe it’s because our house were next to each other. I don’t think she has any other friend than the four of us, because I never saw one. I don’t know about her classmate. But, other than school time, most of her times were with us. Every evening weekend, we’ll go to the playground field to play soccer and she will watch us at one of the bench near the field. It started when Shindong always asked her to join us to the playground. Well, it’s quite awkward at first to find that a girl followed you in a group, but we already used to it now. Especially when she brought food that prepared by Mrs. Park. We were more than willing to accept it. Her characteristics also not like normal girl who’s very girlish and soft. I didn’t say that she’s abnormal, but she’s a bit different. Although she did wear dress sometimes, her bit boyish and strong characteristics make us feel very comfortable to hang out with her.

 

~~~***~~~

 

“Sorry, sorry, I’m late. Let’s go now.” Shindong’s voice brought me back to the present. I saw him with a piece of bread on while his hand locked the gate.

“Aish, hyung! Next time please make it earlier. You almost make us late to school.” I pouted showing my dissatisfaction to him. But, no matter how many times I said (the same thing) he will always be late. And yes, I called Shindong “hyung”. It’s because he’s one year older than me. The same goes with Sungmin. Both of them were in grade six while Donghae and I in grade five.

“Ah, it’s so sad. Shindong oppa won’t learn his mistakes. He’ll always make us waiting here, EVERYDAY.” Gyuri interrupted the conversation and she emphasized the “everyday.” Shindong glances at her and pouting. I chuckled. We started our way to the school. It’s lucky that our school just about fifteen minutes from our housing area.  

“It’s not my fault that my alarm didn’t wake me up. I'm innocent in this case, okay.” Gyuri and I looked at each other when Shindong’s tried to defense himself. We smirked.

“Yeah, right.”