The thing I almost lost

The thing I almost lost

I guess I could say that I was a rebel. I got into trouble a lot. I could beat up people if they pissed me off. But I did care about what grades I got. I listened to the teacher and did my homework, but after, before and in between classes I could do anything. Nobody liked me because who I was, but then he came.

He was having some kind of job training in our school back then. He was so annoying from the first time we met.

"Hi! I'm Choi Hansol and I'm here to assist you and your teachers for a month. I'm going to go around the school with you, so please take care of me", he said with so much enthusiasm, that I wanted to puke. He bowed and walked to the only place available, which was, surprisingly (not), next to me.

"Hey, I'm Hansol. Nice to meet you", he said as he sat on his seat and reached out his hand to me to a handshake. I looked at the hand and scowled.

"Lee Yunji", I said. He frowned and retreated his hand slowly. This was going to be a long month.

 

"Hey, Yunji! Can I eat with you? You're the only one I know here", Hansol said when the recess begun. He had spent half of the class asking stupid questions from me and just plainly annoying me. Eventually he realized that I wasn't going to answer, so he just kept quiet.

"No", I answered and went to the canteen. He silently followed as I got my food and plopped to the seat in front of me.

"I said no, if you didn't hear", I said. 'God, this boy is annoying', I thought.

"I heard, I just didn't care", he said playfully. I rolled my eyes and just kept quiet and when I as done eating, I left, he following close behind. As I was walking to my locker to get my books, someone stepped in front of me.

"Yunji, I heard your dad got fired yesterday", Heeyoung, the schools 'princess', said.

"I don't have time for your crap, Heeyoung", I said emotionlessly. That was actually true, my dad did got fired from his job yesterday, but it was because the company he as working for went out of business.

"What a great dad you have. Can't even do his job properly", Heeyoung snickered.

"Hey, you can't say something like that about someone's father", Hansol came between us.

"Hansol, get out. This isn't your business", I whispered to him.

"Well hello. Who are you? Yunji's new boytoy?", Heeyoung said to Hansol. My patience ran out right there. I dropped my books and kicked the back of Heeyoung's knee and she fell to the ground.

"Yunji, what are you doing", Hansol said and gripped my wrist.

"Beating her up, let go of me Hansol", I snarled.

"No, you can't do that. Come, we have to go to the class, the bell will ring anytime soon", his grip on my wrist tightened.

"I'm not done with you", I said between gritted teeth to Heeyoung and followed Hansol after I picked up my books.

 

In the following days, Hansol never stopped annoying me. He followed me around and was weirdly attached to me. He always sat next to me and ate with me every day. To be honest, I didn't even mind him anymore, but as if I was letting him know that. Always in class when he was helping others, I weirdly wanted him back sitting next to me than talking to other people on my class. He also told me his life story, for some unknown reason. He told me that he has a little sister called Sofia and he lives in US. He is half-Korean, but he wanted to move to Korea when he has enough money.

I was on my phone in the school's library as Hansol came to me.

"What are you doing? How was your day?", he asked happily. I frowned at him.

"None of your business", I answered. He chuckled and snatched my phone out of my hands.

"Hey! What are you doing? Give it back!", I jumped out of my seat and tried to get my phone back from his hands.

"I'll give it back if you stop jumping and step away from me for a bit", he said amused. I did what I was told and I saw how he took a picture of himself. After that, he gave it back to me.

"What did you do?", I asked, confused.

"Gave you my number! I called myself already so now I have your number too!", he said excited.

"I don't need your number! And now you can harass me even when I'm home!", I shouted, earning a few shushes and glares from the other people.

"Hahaha, I promise I won't be the one who texts or calls you first. If you want to talk to me, just text or call me, yeah?"

"Yeah, this number will be the most unused number on my phone", I laughed. Hansol smiled.

"You really should smile more. You're prettier that way", he said still smiling

"Whatever", I said and started to walk to class.

 

The weeks passed and it was the last week when Hansol would be on my class.

"Go home, Hansol! I'm trying to study here!", I whispered loudly to him as I sat in the school's library trying to study.

"No", he said smiling. I was having hard time reading, when he was staring right into my soul. I sighed and decided to continue studying at home. I packed my things and walked to the library's door. I froze when I felt arms circle my waist from behind.

"It's my last week here, Yunji. I have something to tell you", Hansol whispered in my ear and leaned his head on my shoulder.

"Hansol stop it, people are watching", I said as I wriggled out of his grip and looked at him.

"Yunji, I-", he was interrupted by his phone that started ringing. He hesitantly answered his phone and I took the chance to slip away from the situation. I half jogged to home and when I got inside my house, I kicked my shoes off and was ready to run upstairs to my room, but my dad stopped me.

"Yunji, come here", he said from the couch. I confusedly went to him and sat next to him.

"You've been oddly happy these days, you know", my dad said amused. I haven't even noticed that.

"Have you gotten yourself a boyfriend?", he continued

"Dad! No way!", I shouted. Dad and I have this really strong bond. He's really childish sometimes and we seem like best friends. He supports me with everything I do, except for beating up people, he doesn't approve that. But hey, I got my attitude from him.

"You suuure?" he said playfully. I thought about Hansol. Does he really make me happy? My dad saw my different expression and gasped

"Oh my god, Yunji. You got yourself a boy~", he sang.

"No! Dad, I hate him", I said.

"Yeah, sure. Go up, mom will call you for dinner in a few, okay", he chuckled. I nodded and went upstairs. After dinner, I brushed my teeth and went to sleep. 'I wonder what Hansol wanted to tell me earlier', I thought before falling to sleep.

 

When I got to school the next day, Hansol wasn't there. 'Maybe he overslept', I thought before concentrating to class. After class a girl came up to me.

"Yunji, here", she said before hurrying away. She gave me an envelope. I raised my eyebrow and opened it. It read: "Yunji, meet me at the auditorium in five minutes. ~Hansol"

 

'Hansol? So he is in school today. Why does he want me to go to the auditorium. Oh well...', I thought and started to walk to the auditorium. When I got there, the only lighted place was the stage. Hansol was sitting on the edge of it. He looked up and smiled.

"Come here, Yunji!", he said. I walked confusedly to the stage where Hansol gave me a rose.

"What is this?", I said amused. He smiled at me and I felt weird in my stomach 'I must be hungry', I thought.

"You're beautiful, you're witty, you're down-to-earth, you're everything I could ever ask for. I like you, Yunji. A lot. I wish you could accept me", he said. My heart felt awfully light and happy, but my brain got the best of me.

"I'm sorry, Hansol. I really don't like you. You're annoying and nosy", My voice came out harsher than it was supposed to. His face fell and he looked at me sorrowfully. My heart clenched at the sight, I couldn't watch him like this anymore. I hurried away from the auditorium and ran to the rooftop. 'Why does my heart hurt so much seeing him so sad?', I thought.

I skipped rest of the day and went home. I just shuffled to my room and fell face first to my bed. I noticed that I still had the rose Hansol gave to me. 'Well, it is a pretty rose', I thought and got up. I put it in the vase and put it on my night table. I stared at it and thought what I said to Hansol. 'Maybe I didn't mean to say it so harshly', I thought and drowned to my thoughts.

 

The next day when I got to school, Hansol wasn't at school, again. I went to the secretary's office.

"Hi, do you know if Choi Hansol, the teacher assistant, came to school today", I asked the secretary. 'I hope he didn't ditch, because of me', I thought as the secretary looked at me for a while.

"Choi Hansol quit his internship yesterday, he informed us to know that his brother was really sick and he had to leave us a few days earlier", she said. My eyes went wide. I thanked the secretary and got out of the office. 'Hansol you liar. You know I know that you don't have a brother. You have a sister called Sofia, not brother.', I thought, but that didn't change the fact that Hansol was gone.

 

The next few weeks were horrible to me. I didn't concentrate to class and got into trouble for it. I couldn't sleep properly and when I did, Hansol came into my sleep. I really missed that chatterbox. My parents were really worried about me, but I always made sure that I won't show them my real feelings before even I was sure about them.

I was at school when Heeyoung came to me.

"Why are you so down, Yunji? Let me guess, your dad didn't find a new job and now you're homeless. You look like one too", she snickered. I glared at her.

"Or even worse", she faked a gasp, "your boytoy left you". I snapped. I punched her the face and she fell to the ground. I gripped her hair and pushed her against the lockers.

"He. Isn't. My. Boytoy", I snarled at her. I hit her head to the lockers one last time before leaving her there with bleeding nose and bruised head.

 

It was night and I couldn't sleep. My mind wandered around, 'Maybe Hansol isn't annoying and nosy. Maybe he was just purely interested how I was doing and he as worried about me' I thought when I settled my eyes on the rose on my night table. The one he gave to me. That's when I realized, I was in love with him too.

The next morning I was met by another problem, I realized that I loved him too, but he lived in the US, and I lived in Korea. 'Why is all of this so screwed up?', I thought as I sat on the living room's couch and buried my head in my hands.

"Heyy, what's wrong with my favourite daughter?", my dad said as he plopped down next to me to the sofa.

"I'm your only daughter, dad", I said still burying my head to my hands.

"Exactly", my dad chuckled,  "but really, what's wrong?"

"I've screwed up really badly", I muttered.

"Is it about the boy?", my dad said. My silence told him that he was right. He made me tell him everything.

"Wow, you really love him", he said when I was done.

"Shut up", I said blushing. I saw him dig his wallet from his pocket. He got a little stack of money from it and gave it to me

"Go after him", was all he said. My eyes widened.

"I-, I-", I stammered.

"Stop, let me tell you something. Have I ever told you how I met your mother?", he asked. I shook my head.

"Well, It was in senior year of college. I saw your mother walk through the school's gates with her friends. It was love from the first sight. She was so beautiful, her hair flowed in the wind, her smile took me breathless, her-",

"Dad! The point of the story was...?", I interrupted him.

"Oh yes, yes. So, I fell for her, but she didn't fall for me. I confessed to her, but she turned me down. I was so sad. Does this sound familiar to you?", he continued.

"Just like me and Hansol", I said slowly, "How did your and mom's love story end?".

"Well, I persuaded her for a long time to even get her to go out with me, it worked and she fell for me. But guess what? I want you to make your own love story that you can tell to your own children someday. So. Go , After. Him", he said.

"But I can't go to the US alone!", I said.

"Yunji, you 17 for god's sake. I think you will be fine", he said seriously. I sighed.

"Ok. I can do this!", I shouted and jumped up from the couch.

"That's the spirit!", my dad said and stood up.

"Thanks dad, you're the best", I hugged him.

"Oh, stop it you. I know that", he laughed.

 

I was in deep thoughts through the whole flight. 'What will he say when he sees me? What if he gets mad at me?' I thought and sighed.

After I got off the plane, I called a taxi and told the area where I remember Hansol once told his parents lived. I paid the taxi driver and got off. I walked for a little while and saw a park. I sat on one of the swings and took my phone out of my pocket. 'Should I call him? That's why I came here right? But what will I say?', thought as I traced my finger over his I.D picture on my phone.

"Yunji?" I heard a very familiar voice say. I looked up and saw him. Looking at me expressionlessly.

"H-hansol", I said. Even seeing him made my heart happy. I just wanted to hug him.

"What are you doing here?", he asked coldly. I felt tears come up to my eyes.

"Hansol, I-"

"I thought that you said that I'm annoying and nosy. Why would you be here, in US", he continued. My tears fell from my eyes to my cheeks.

"NO! Hansol, please", I pleaded. He went silent, waiting me to continue.

"You know the saying that you don't appreciate the things you get until you lost them?" I said crying, "you're the thing I lost, Hansol. I love you". I saw something flash in his eyes, before turning back emotionless.

"I haven't forgiven you breaking my heart yet", he said seriously. I felt my breath getting stuck in my throat.

"But there's one thing you could do to get my forgiveness", he continued. I looked him in the eyes. His face turned into a playful one and he kissed me deeply. He wrapped his arms around my waist and mine found their way around his neck.

"I love you too, Lee Yunji", he said when we separated. I couldn't help but start smiling widely. He smiled back and kissed me again.

 

A/N: Hogod this is the longest oneshot i've written ever xD

Please comment <3 ^^