Chapter 5: I Can't Love You, Not Right Now

The Same, but Different

Your POV

 

Yeah, I’m the one and only girl.

I give you what you need, I give you what you want!

So baby listen out, yes!

Just wanna be with you-

I stopped Rainbow’s song, ‘To Me’ and answered my phone to get an earful Mi Hi’s cheery voice on the other end.

“Morning Sookie!”

“Hey, Mi Hi. Glad to see that you’re in a better mood.”

The girl on the other end giggled.

“I just called to thank you for helping out with last night. Although slamming cake into someone’s face really escalates arguments rather than lulling them, it gave Kris and me something to laugh at. Did it feel good when you hit her with the cake?”

“It felt great!”

“I bet it did…ugh I’m so jealous! I wish I would’ve thought of it first…”

I smiled.

“No. We should’ve thought of it at the same time!”

I heard laughter from the other end of the phone and joined in.

“Ha! True, true. I would’ve happily painted the other half of her face brown!”

“She deserved it for talking about your delicious cake...what happened to it anyway?”

“Kris took half and I have the rest. By the way, I have to give you some more for sacrificing it on that .”

Mi Hi sighed.

“Well, are you ready for school? I bet she’s scheming to do something after last night.”

It was my turn to shrug. She already was making plans for Saturday…wait Saturday!

“Mi Hi. I need to tell you and Tao something about the party Saturday, but I’ll tell you when I get to school.”

“Okay, bye Sookie!”

“Bye.”

I took a quick shower and washed my face as the morning progressed. Breakfast was eaten and my stuff sat by the door as I hopped around in the living room in an attempt to fully pull on my shoe and rushed out of the house.

I didn’t live far from the school. My house was merely down the street.

I wonder if Mi Hi and Tao would still want to go to the party if I tell them what I heard.

 

Mi Hi’s POV

 

As soon as I walked in the classroom there was tension.

Everyone knew what happened last night. Apparently, somebody decided to tape the entire thing and sent the video to the entire student body.

Hye Su and her clique were already sitting in their seats when I passed them. I heard them whispering among themselves about me.

“She doesn’t know what she’s dealing with.”

“-dead meat.”

“Her boyfriend won’t be able to protect her this time…”

I rolled my eyes and kept walking. If she wanted to finish what she started from last night then she knows where my seat is.

Bring it, .

 

Your POV

 

I was later than my usual time, but I was still early enough to miss the tardy bell. I met Tao at the door of the classroom and we both moved inside to see a very pissed off looking Mi Hi.

“Mi Hi are you alright?” She nodded, forcing a smile. “Mi Hi-”

“I’m fine, don’t worry about me. Now what did you have to say to me and Tao earlier?”

I glanced at Hye Su before I sighed.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to go to the party. Hye Su’s planning something…and that was before the Starbucks incident.”

“How do you know this?”

“I heard Hye Su in the hallway with one of her clones. According to her, we’ll ‘make everything awkward.’” I repeated with my hands making quotation signs. “Mi Hi, she doesn’t want us there, only Tao. She even asked her friend how to get rid of us without getting rid of him!”

Tao rolled his eyes.

“But I don’t like her!”

“I don’t think she cares. Her friend told her to make us leave and make it look like an accident so you don’t follow after us.”

“That’s stupid!”

“I know right? I guess she can’t take a hint.”

I shrugged.

“So what do you guys want to do?”

Mi Hi put her hand to her chin in thought.

“I know this sounds crazy, but I still think that we should go. Thanks to you, we know what to expect and we can prepare for it.”

“Uh…no, we don’t…she didn’t specify.”

Tao answered.

“Maybe Ae-Sook’s right…I don’t think we should be walking into danger like this…”

“I wanna go! If you guys won’t come with me, then I’ll go by myself if I have to!”

Mi Hi pouted and made me turn away from her. Did she not realize that if we were to go then we would knowingly be placing ourselves in Hye Su’s trap? I’m not even sure if she heard anything that I’ve said.

“That’s not smart, Mi Hi.” I replied, trying to make Mi Hi see reason. The brunette refused to listen any further. I finally caved in.“Oh fine, Mi Hi, you win! We’ll go!” She smiled, but my straight face destroyed her happiness. “But you better keep an eye out for anything odd!”

Mi Hi and Tao nodded.

“I can come and pick everyone up. Ae-Sook, I already know where you live…all I need now is your address, Mi Hi.”

Mi Hi jotted down her home address on a sheet of paper and handed to Tao who folded it and put it in his pocket.

“Wait, how did you find out where Sookie lives?”

Mi Hi asked, her eyes suddenly shimmering with curiosity.

“I walked her home last night.”

“That explains what happened to you two!” Mi Hi smiled slyly. “Did you get to make it up to her bed-”

“Yah! Don’t think like that, get your head out of the gutter!”

I hit Mi Hi in the arm and glanced at Tao.

Was he blushing? I could’ve sworn that I saw a hint of red on his cheeks. I was about to look again when the bell rung for first period to begin.

“Morning class, turn around Hye Su. I don’t want any talking today.” Ms. Kim dropped her suitcase on her desk and held the bridge of her nose. “Class, I have a serious migraine, so today is a free day.” The classroom began to rejoice when shewinced and waved her hand to silenced them all. “However, if you make a sound then I will give you so much homework that your head will be spinning from the overload even in college. Do you understand?”

Everyone nodded numbly at Ms. Kim’s threat and she laid her head on the desk.

A note landed on my desk. I opened it to see pink writing…its Mi Hi’s no doubt.

Hey Sookie, do you have anything to wear for tomorrow?

I wrote no and threw it back on her desk. I watched her scribble down her reply before tossing it back to me.

Well, why don’t we go to the mall and see if we can find something after school? Tao’s coming too.

Wait, why is he coming?

The note slid across Mi Hi’s desk and went over the edge.

The paper returned moments later.

Believe it or not, he likes shopping. He wanted a new outfit too.

I threw the note back at her.

Wow…

The note landed on my desk again.

Ikr? But he’s a fashionista like Kris.

I glanced at Tao’s wardrobe.

He was in all black today. His shirt was a simple long sleeve button down shirt with the collar up and the first three buttons undone, making him look undeniably sinful. The black jeans that he wore only enhance his iness. My eyes couldn’t stop traveling up and down his thin frame.

As much as I hated to admit it, he looked positively delicious right now.

A paper ball bounced off of my scalp. I opened the paper wad.

Stop drooling over Tao. You don’t like him, remember? Unless you want to surrender all of your stubbornness and accept the truth…then you can drool a waterfall in happiness undisturbed!

I crushed the paper and threw it back a Mi Hi, who caught it easily with a smirk.

Screw you.

She tossed the paper back to me.

No thanks, I’ll leave that for Tao. Just make sure that he wears a when it happens, kay?

All of the air in my body left me after that one. I felt my hands start shaking as my hormones ran rampant through my body. I wrote the only thing that I could and sent the note back to her.

I hate you.

She smiled and sent the paper my way again.

You liked that thought didn’t you? Yep, you’re falling hard!

The bell rung and I couldn’t be happier to end the conversation.

Just as I gathered my stuff and reached the third desk in my row, I tripped into Tao and my books fell. I bent down to retrieve my things and stood back up.

“S-sorry.” I apologized, bowing out of nervous habit. “I didn’t mean to hit you.”

While I was apologizing, my eyes roamed his body again, stopping to relish the toned chest that peeked out of the black fabric. The young man smirked when our eyes met each other’s and handed me two tablets that had slid away from me.

Despite the racing organ in my chest that wanted more, I looked away, feeling ashamed now that I’d been caught. It was stupid of me to look.

“It’s fine, Ae-Sook. See you third period.”

He walked out of the room, leaving me at the mercy of an eager Mi Hi.

 

Tao’s POV

 

She just checked me out.

I couldn’t resist smiling at the moment as it replayed in my head. Her wandering eyes, her flushed face, her stammering…it was perfect.

I doubt that she even knew that her eyes clouded over in a daze. Was it wrong to like seeing her like that?

Yeah, I think…Ae-Sook’s starting to grow on me.

 

Your POV

 

“I saw the entire thing!” Mi Hi screamed, practically skipping down the hallway. “Don’t look now, but I think we may have a couple developing in our presence!”

“Mi Hi!”

The brunette giggled and skipped into the classroom.

As much as I wanted to fall in love with Tao, I couldn’t.

I can’t love him, not right now, at least…