Final

Perfection

Donghae is blonde in this story while Hyukjae has red hair. Just in case you wanna picture them. :)

 

 

5-years-old

Will you be my friend?

 

15-years-old

Will you be my boyfriend?

 

25-years-old

Will you marry me?

 

The now 27-year-old Donghae smiled thinking back about the memories. I can’t believe how lucky I am.

Donghae had often wondered why someone as perfect as Hyukjae would want him as his husband. Not that he wasn’t a good guy or anything, he was. He had a good heart, was well-mannered than the majority of the population – hey, he has his limits too – and he was the most loyal lover anyone could ever be. But, he just wasn’t perfect. He had flaws too. And probably his biggest flaw wasn’t something that could be fixed or cured.

His flaw was; he has no voice.

He couldn’t speak his mind, sing his heart out or even scream when frustrated.

Hyukjae was always the one who spoke for him because Hyukjae knew him better than anybody. Knowing Donghae almost all his life, he could read Donghae like an open book. When Donghae was with him, he didn’t even need to carry a notebook around because he knows Hyukjae understands him. To him, Hyukjae was the perfect friend, lover and person in this world.

Donghae smiled. Oh well, why complain? It’s the best thing that could ever happen to me and I’ll cherish it forever.

Donghae was too caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t notice a certain someone creeping up behind him. He jumped a little when he was hugged from the back suddenly and turned his head to look.

Hyukjae.

He smiled and tried to kiss him on the lips, but missed because of the position he was in and ended up kissing his jaw instead.

Hyukjae laughed when Donghae pouted and gave him a peck on his lips to put him out of his misery. Eventhough it was something so simple, Donghae still beamed at him, making Hyukjae smile unconsciously as well. Donghae always managed to make Hyukjae smile without even trying. And to Hyukjae, Donghae was the most perfect person he has ever and will ever meet.

He loved Donghae more than anything in the world. And he couldn’t be happier when his then boyfriend had finally agreed to marry him. The marriage had taken place only a year after the proposal since Hyukjae already had everything planned.

‘How’d you know I’d say yes?’ Donghae scribbled on a piece of paper.

“Because I know you can’t live without me.” Hyukjae had cockily answered and laughed when Donghae gave him a look which said I’m not amused.

He continued, “I didn’t know if you’d agree, but I was wishing on every star in the entire universe that you would. Because I can’t imagine my life without you in it.” He then laughed again when Donghae’s face turned red and he buried his face in Hyukjae’s chest to hide from the embarrassment.

“What are you thinking about so hard, Hae?” Hyukjae spoke into Donghae’s hair, his arms never leaving Donghae’s waist.

Donghae looked at him and smiled. Knowing Hyukjae would understand.

“Us?” As usual, Hyukjae had guessed it right. Donghae nodded.

Hyukjae’s arms tightened a bit. “Glad that you think about me so much.” He smiled knowing that even such a simple sentence could make Donghae blush. And he was right again. Donghae lowered his head and bit his lip, knowing full well Hyukjae made him blush on purpose.

“You blush so easily, baby.” Hyukjae continued to tease the poor man in his arms. He laughed when Donghae turned to glare at him – or at least tried, since Hyukjae just found it too adorable. He kissed him, unable to resist. And Donghae instantly responded, forgetting that Hyukjae was teasing him just a moment ago. Their kiss was sweet, no tongue involved, but able to convey all their love for each other.

Donghae pulled away after a while to turn around and face Hyukjae. He then wrapped his arms around Hyukjae’s neck and placed his head on Hyukjae’s chest. They stayed in that position for a while, Donghae listening to Hyukjae’s heartbeat and Hyukjae rubbing random patterns on Donghae’s lower back softly.

They both loved moments like this the most. Moments when they could just be in each other’s arms and ignore the rest of the world.

Both Hyukjae and Donghae had jobs that took up quite an amount of their time. Hyukjae was working as a dance instructor at multiple dance studios, while Donghae was a writer for children’s story books. Despite being mute, Donghae had never used his disability as an excuse to ignore his responsibilities. And Hyukjae was beyond proud that Donghae didn’t let his disability to bring him down. He even teased Donghae about choosing to write children’s story books instead, saying it suited him since his mind was pretty much similar to a kid’s anyway. That earned him a smack on his head in the end though.

“Do you want to cook tonight or go out and eat?” Hyukjae suddenly broke the comfortable silence.

Donghae looked up and pouted, a habit he had when he was thinking about something. He then shrugged in the end, unable to decide. He then tilted his head as an indication of him asking Hyukjae what he wanted.

“Hmm… I kinda feel like eating out. We haven’t gone to that small café down the street in ages.”

Donghae frowned a little. We just went there last week.

Hyukjae pouted. “But I really love the food there.” He whined.

Donghae rolled his eyes. You mean you love the choices of strawberry related foods there.

Knowing exactly what that face meant, Hyukjae smiled. Donghae knew he had an obsession with strawberry related things. And it just so happens that the little café down the street sold anything possibly related to strawberry. Heck, it was even called ‘Strawberry Paradise’. They served everything with strawberries. From strawberry cake, milkshakes and waffles to serving strawberry sauce on steaks even. It taste surprisingly well that even Donghae, who wasn’t a fan of sweet things, loved.

“Pretty please~ you know I love the food there. Plus it isn’t expensive. Please, baby, please~” Hyukjae continued to plead with Donghae, knowing that Donghae couldn’t say no when Hyukjae begged like that.

Donghae bit his lip, knowing he’d eventually give in anyway. He sighed and nodded. He kissed Hyukjae’s cheek, and then glared at him a bit. You’re lucky I love you.

Hyukjae, knowing full well what that meant, smiled his gummy smile. “I know I’m lucky. And I love you too.”

 

 

They set out for dinner after they had both taken a bath – ehm, separately. They walked hand in hand down the street.

It was going to be winter soon, so the weather was quite chilly. Hyukjae had made sure Donghae wore a thick enough jacket and a scarf, knowing the younger felt cold easily. Donghae had also made sure Hyukjae wore clothes that were appropriate, seeing as he had to prepare one of his dance groups for an upcoming competition and couldn’t afford to be sick.

When they arrived at the café, the waitress there immediately recognised them and welcomed them. She then brought them to a seat right at the end of the café, which was also next to a window that had a view of the café’s garden. The waitress knew that the couple loved that seat but rarely got the chance to sit there since it was one of the best places to sit and other customers liked it there too.

“Today’s your lucky day, sirs. Your favourite seat is vacant.” The waitress said. Then added softly, “I’ll make sure no one sits near you so you can be more comfortable.”

The two men blushed at the statement, knowing what she meant. The first time they ate at the café, Hyukjae was so happy that he kissed Donghae then and there, not bothering to look if other people were looking at them. It just so happened that a homophobic couple saw them and started passing nasty remarks. Donghae almost cried, hearing people talk like that about him and the person he loved most in the world.

Hyukjae was pissed, seeing his lover so upset, but he didn’t want to create a scene either. He was about to at least tell them to mind their own business, since they didn’t know them, they didn’t have any right to judge them. But before he could, a waitress appeared and said to the couple – the homophobic one – “Excuse me, but if you’re going to disturb the other customers, please leave. I don’t care if you are homophobic or if you never come back after this, these gentlemen are customers as well and I’d appreciate you acting civilized and respect them as you would any other person. Thank you.”

Both couples were stunned hearing her say that, one was grateful for her standing up for them, the other irritated but kept their mouth shut – not wanting to look like total asses in front of the other customers.

Ever since that incident, Hyukjae and Donghae made sure to be more careful of their PDA while in public. Donghae not wanting to ruin Hyukjae’s image in case his students or their parents see them. Hyukjae not wanting Donghae to get hurt more emotionally because of the remarks they pass.

            After their dinner that night, Donghae and Hyukjae had thanked the waitress. She then told them she couldn’t stand people who were homophobic and she thought Donghae and Hyukjae looked really good together. They blushed but thanked her anyway.

“Thank you, Hyoyeon. And you know you don’t have to call us sirs right? We’d be happy to call you our friend after what you did last time.” Hyukjae said. Donghae nodded his head in agreement.

“I’m working. It’s basic manners while working to greet customers this way.” Hyoyeon said, then smiled and continued, “But I’d love to be your friend. You two seem like really good people.”

After they were comfortably seated opposite each other, Hyoyeon said, “I’m guessing you want your normal? Two steaks with strawberry sauce, one strawberry milkshake and one ice café latte?”

They both nodded and she left to get their orders.

“Lucky she knows us so well, huh?”

Donghae nodded, yup.

“There’s something I need to tell you, baby.” Hyukjae said while grasping the blond’s hand.

Donghae blinked and nodded once, silently telling him to continue.

“You know the dance competition my students are preparing for right?”

            The one that is taking place next month? Donghae put up one finger.

            “Yeah, well, they moved it to next week. Apparently, the people who were supposed to book the place for the competition messed up. The date can’t be changed because the tickets are already sold out and they can’t afford to refund everything.”

            Donghae nodded, but then tilted his head to the side, wondering what Hyukjae’s point was.

            Hyukjae was mentally squealing over how adorable Donghae looked, but continued, “They want me to dance with them in the competition. They think I’m a good dancer so they think having me compete with them will boost their chances of winning. It’s not against the rules for the instructor to dance since it was never specified and there is no age limit.”

            Donghae was smiling widely, knowing Hyukjae dreamt of dancing on stage someday. He nodded frantically, trying to tell Hyukjae to go for it.

            Hyukjae smiled fondly at his lover, He’s so supportive.

            “But Hae, that means I’ll have to stay back late to rehearse with them every night for the next week. It’s going to be really rushed now since it was moved up so much. There will probably be nights when I don’t come home at all even.” Hyukjae didn’t want Donghae worrying if he didn’t come home suddenly so figured he should tell him now to warn him.

            Donghae pouted, knowing he’d miss the red head terribly. But this is his dream. He’s already done so much for me. This is the least I can do. He took out his pen – he actually accidentally left it in his pocket – but didn’t have paper – see? – so he took his napkin and wrote something. Hyukjae was very curious about what he was writing since he doesn’t usually need to write out things for Hyukjae. Donghae slid it over to Hyukjae after he was done.

            Hyukjae read it and a huge gummy smile broke out over his face.

            I know you’re worried about me. But I’ll be fine. I can always ask Kyuhyun and Sungmin to come over and keep me company. :) You just focus on your dancing, I know it means a lot to you. You’ve already made my dream come true by marrying me, so go make yours come true now. You can do it, my love. <3

            Hyukjae looked up and was greeted by a blushing Donghae.

            “Why are you embarrassed? I love it. Thank you.” He took Donghae’s hand and lightly kissed his knuckles, making Donghae blush even more.

            “Oh! There’s al--”

            “Here’s your food! Enjoy!” Hyoyeon suddenly appeared and placed their drinks and food down, then walked away.

            Seeing the food, Hyukjae forgot what he was going to tell Donghae, Donghae seeing Hyukjae so happy, didn’t think Hyukjae was going to tell him something important.

            They enjoyed the rest of their meal with Hyukjae talking occasionally and Donghae nodding or shaking his head – or any other form of communication. Then went home soon after eating and decided to watch a movie before calling it a day.

            Throughout the movie, they cuddled, kissed and acted all lovey dovey. Knowing they were in the comfort of their own home and didn’t have to worry about others.

            That moment couldn’t be more perfect.

 

 

            The next few days passed in a blur for Donghae. Hyukjae was right about being busy and had only come home twice. He was exhausted both times, so only kissed Donghae goodnight after his shower and went straight to bed.

            Donghae felt sorry seeing his lover in this state, not knowing how to help even. So he texted Kyuhyun, his best friend.

            ‘Kyu~ How do I help Hyukkie? He seems so tired lately. I wanna help make him feel better.’

            ‘Have .’

            ‘Yah! He’s too tired after dancing all day! P.S. That wasn’t the answer I was hoping for either.’

            ‘Hmm… Well, when my Minnie is tired and stressed, I usually cook for him. Since it’s not something I do very often.’

            ‘But I cook for Hyukkie almost every day.’

            ‘That monkey isn’t going to care, he’s too in love with you.’

            Donghae blushed but smiled.

            ‘I could say the same about you and Minnie-hyung. :P’

            ‘Don’t call him Minnie, that’s only for me to call. >:(‘

            Donghae rolled his eyes.

            ‘Yeah yeah… Then don’t call my Hyukkie a monkey! Grrr…’

            ‘Seriously Hyung, how old are you?’

            Donghae pouted and decided not to reply his best friend. He then thought about what he should cook for his lover. He went to the kitchen to check what was in the fridge.

            Hmm… There’re strawberries left. Maybe I can make pancakes and then bring along strawberries and whipped cream? Hyukkie would like that right? I doubt he’ll have time to indulge while working so hard anyway.

            Donghae happily made the pancakes after that and packed everything he needed into a small bag. Then set out to Hyukjae’s dance studio.

 

 

            Loud music was what greeted Donghae as he stepped into the building. There were only a few people there since it was already 7pm and most of them had left to go home.

            Donghae searched for Hyukjae by following the music, assuming it was Hyukjae’s.

            When he finally found the room, he opened the door without knocking – thinking the person probably couldn’t hear him over the music anyway – and the sight he saw made him want to break down and cry.

            There he saw Hyukjae.

Kissing a girl.

            Donghae tried to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why Hyukjae would do that. But he unknowingly dropped the bag he was holding at the same moment the song ended. In that silent room, even a pin-drop would seem loud, imagine the bag.

            Hyukjae spun around and saw Donghae, his eyes instantly widened in shock. “Hae, baby, it’s not what you think. I--” But Donghae had run off without waiting.

 

 

            Donghae ran all the way back to their house, not knowing where else to go. And Hyukjae followed. After running in after Donghae, Hyukjae closed the door – somehow still thinking about rational thoughts – and tried his best to get Donghae to calm down.

            “Baby, please, let me explain.” Hyukjae begged.

            Donghae shook his head and tried to get out of his grasp. His mind was telling him to listen, that there was a rational explanation to all of this, that it was a misunderstanding, that’s all. But his heart was too hurt with the thought of betrayal and his body decided to listen to his heart instead.

            After the constant struggling, Hyukjae felt his temper rising. He’d never gotten mad at his baby before, but the tiredness of that whole week plus this situation – his husband’s lack of belief in him – just made him too frustrated.

            He couldn’t contain himself any longer and just shouted without thinking twice.

            “LEE DONGHAE! WOULD YOU CALM THE DOWN AND LISTEN TO ME?!”

            Having never heard his husband shout or curse at him directly, Donghae instantly froze. Scared, terrified even. It was all written all over his face, something the calm and loving Hyukjae would have noticed in an instant. But this Hyukjae wasn’t even looking at him anymore.

            After his outburst, Hyukjae gave up trying to hold his lover and instead turned to face the wall, trying to calm down while explaining, knowing he now had Donghae’s attention.

            “It wasn’t what you think okay?!” He was still talking in a loud voice, letting out all his frustration, making Donghae think he was really mad at him. “I was trying to tell you that day that the group I was dancing with is a co-ed group and there were girls. I wanted to tell you after I remembered again but thought it wasn’t necessary since they’re too young for me and I’m married anyway. I didn’t think any of them would pull a stunt like that.”

            Donghae kept silent, not knowing how to react since his lover was never like this to him before.

            Hyukjae then continued, “Everyone else had gone for dinner, but I wanted to come home to eat with you. She wasn’t supposed to be there and the kiss was definitely not something I saw coming.”

            Hyukjae then turned to face Donghae, making Donghae flinch. But Hyukjae was still blinded by his anger and frustration that he didn’t notice.

            “Do you have any idea how happy I was at the thought of coming home and seeing you?! And yet, this is what I get? Your doubt? Why don’t you believe me, Hae?! You know I’d never do that!”

            Donghae shook his head, wanting Hyukjae to understand that it was his insecurities again. That he knew how imperfect he was and he was just scared Hyukjae had found better.

            When Hyukjae turned around and kicked their sofa hard with a loud ‘!’ coming from his lips, Donghae knew Hyukjae didn’t understand him this time. The thought made his heart ache.

            Hyukjae stomped into the kitchen to drink some ice water – somehow thinking it’ll calm him. Donghae grabbed a random pen and one of his small notebooks lying around and chased after him, still trying to get him to understand.

            Once he reached, he quickly write down his thoughts and stretched his arm out for Hyukjae to read it. He hoped so much that Hyukjae would read this and calm down, but sadly, it had the opposite effect.

            “What?! Now you think I don’t understand you anymore and need you to write it out?”

            Donghae shook his head, eyes pleading for Hyukjae to just understand him again. He tried shoving the notebook to Hyukjae, now desperate. But Hyukjae just pushed it away, resulting in it flying sideways and landing on the kitchen floor.

            Thud.

            The sound of the notebook hitting the floor sounded so loud to Donghae. It made his heartbreak even worse than it was before.

            No, he didn’t love the notebook so much it hurt when it landed on the floor. He felt torn because not only did Hyukjae not understand his expressions anymore, but he shoved away his only other form of communicating at that time. Hyukjae had completely disregarded Donghae’s voice. He made him feel even more useless than he already felt. Even more imperfect.

            Tears started building up in his eyes at the thought. He really didn’t know what else to do now.

            Finally – I mean FINALLY – Hyukjae noticed what he had done. Eyes wide, he looked at the notebook lying on the ground, realization of what he had done finally sinking in. Then he looked at Donghae and the sight only made him feel like killing himself. He’d made the love of his life, the one he promised to protect and take care of, cry.

            He couldn’t believe what he had done. It was just that, sometimes, Donghae was so easy to ignore. He had no voice to fight back with. His thoughts were so easy to just push aside.

            “Hae, baby…”

            Donghae couldn’t stop crying. He covered his face with his palms, hiding his face because he didn’t want Hyukjae to feel even more frustrated.

            But Hyukjae wouldn’t have that. He didn’t know if he still had the right to after what he did, but at this moment he didn’t care. All he knew was that he hurt his baby badly and he needed to fix it.

            He wrapped his arms around Donghae and held him tight. Softly hushing him like a mother would her child when they cried. He Donghae’s hair and tried using comforting words to calm him down like – ‘I didn’t mean it.’ ‘I wasn’t in my right mind.’ ‘I’m sorry.’

            After a few minutes, Donghae stopped crying and was just sniffling and hiccupping once in a while. He realized Hyukjae was hugging him and felt comforted knowing his lover was alright again. He then slowly removed his hands from his face and used them to hold on to the front of Hyukjae’s shirt instead.

            Thinking Donghae was calm enough, Hyukjae said, “I’m so so so sorry baby. I should have never done that, I don’t have the right to do that. I’m such an . Please, don’t leave me. I’ll never survive without you.”

            Donghae pulled away slightly to look at Hyukjae with his red and puffy eyes. I wouldn’t leave you.

            He hoped Hyukjae understood him again now. And he did.

            “You have every right to leave me.”

            Why? Donghae tilted his head.

            “I was such a jerk to you.”

            Donghae pointed to his wedding ring. Through good and bad times.

            “But—” Donghae kissed him to shut him up. Also silently saying End of discussion.

            Their kiss lasted a while, trying to make up for all the things they did and said. After they parted, Hyukjae hugged Donghae tightly.

            “Forgiven?”

            Donghae nodded. Then pointed at himself.

            “No, I don’t forgive you. Because there’s nothing to forgive. You didn’t do anything wrong, baby. I was just over-reacting because of the stress and tiredness. I know that’s not an excuse for my behaviour but, I really am sorry for making you feel like you did anything wrong. You didn’t. I know you love me and don’t worry, I do and always will love you, Hae.”

            Feeling the sincerity in Hyukjae’s words, Donghae hugged him tightly.

            They were both mentally thinking how lucky they were that they managed to work this out, knowing they could’ve been torn apart if they didn’t love each other the way they did.

 

 

Later that night, they were cuddling in their bed. Too tired to even eat, they just made their way to their bedroom, changed into pyjamas and jumped into bed to snuggle.

            Hyukjae had his arms wrapped around Donghae waist from the back and Donghae was playing with the wedding ring on Hyukjae’s finger. Hyukjae placed a kiss on Donghae’s nape, silently pledging his love yet again. Donghae smiled.

After a moment, Donghae suddenly reached out to take Hyukjae’s handphone. He the camera and then turned to place a kiss on Hyukjae’s lips. Hyukjae wanted to deepen the kiss, but Donghae pulled away before he could.

It was only then that Hyukjae realized what Donghae was trying to do. He had taken a picture of them kissing, and then set it as Hyukjae’s wallpaper. Then he opened the text compartment and typed a message and showed it to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae read what he typed and couldn’t help but laugh.

Send this picture to that girl. Now.

“Really baby? You want me to?”

Donghae nodded.

“I would, but I don’t have her number, baby.”

Donghae pouted.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure she sees this photo.”

Donghae held out his pinky, asking Hyukjae to promise.

“I promise.” Hyukjae said, hooking his own pinky on.

“Sleep, baby. I know how tired you are. Good night.”

Donghae snuggled into Hyukjae’s chest and placed a kiss there. I love you.

“I love you too, baby.”

 

 

Donghae thinks Hyukjae is perfect. Hyukjae thinks Donghae is perfect. Donghae thinks being mute makes him imperfect, but Hyukjae tells him being human means being imperfect. But in the end, they realize it doesn’t even matter. Because if they’re together, everything is perfect.

 

 

 

A/N

A total of 4,300 words people! Please comment, because it's my first time writing a fanfic and i really would love some feedback. Thank you for reading~ :D