first rule

The Unfortunate Events of Some Blonde Guy
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As he shifts his eyes back and forth between the two, Youngjae doesn't know what he's more angry about. 
 
It's either that tall, blonde, talented little bastard trying out his new skate boarding tricks and suceeding in every single one without even breaking a sweat, 
 
or the way she was shamelessly staring at him. Like everyone else.
 
Through the corner of his eye, Youngjae watches the way Jieun clasps her hands under her chin, eyes wide as they follow that tall kid's every magestic move. She was so entranced. If opened the slightest bit more he wouldn't have been surprised if she started to drool. It was kind of... really cute. And it kind of set the deepest pits of Youngjae's soul to bitter flames.
 
He brought his attention back to the scene in front of him just in time to see the tall kid succeed in a flashy final move to the soft applause of the little group of spectators that had formed - including Jieun herself. The kid didn't even seem to notice as he kicked the skateboard up and grabbed it with his hand before coolly walking away. And what's a good exit without a hair flip? The air is filled with fawning and squealing and even Youngjae feels a little like he was in the presence of a godly being. Or at least a celebrity. A tall, young, stupid second year student celebrity. 
 
Youngjae decides he's more pissed at him than at her. 
 
It was always like this, Youngjae thinks. But as much as he was used to it, it never fails to sour his mood. That stupid attention hoarder always found a way to ruin Youngjae's time with Jieun, either through kicks and flips or simply just sitting near them, he always got Jieun distracted from their lunch dates. Well, "lunch date" probably wasn't the right term to use considering they've been eating lunch together since grade school and in the back of Youngjae's mind he knew Jieun probably felt an obligation, like it was just her inevitable job to continue this somewhat daily tradition with her childhood best friend.
 
But it was probably more than that. Hopefully. Maybe? 
 
Youngjae lets out a sigh louder than he expects and sneaks another peek back at Jieun. He's known her for most of his life and even through that "girls have cooties" phase, she's always been so pretty to him. Especially now, in her beautiful blooming stage of high school. Unfortunately for Youngjae, puberty didn't seem to have an equally fair effect on him. It only seemed to perk up his attraction towards his best friend. And hormones. And acne in weird places.  
 
He awes as the sun beats down on her like a halo, he melts at her long silky hair, her pretty slender hands, that soft smile, her perfect lips, those wide sparkling eyes.... wide sparkling eyes that were glued onto that stupid tall kid's back. 
 
As if the romantic background CD playing in Youngjae's head was just rudely kicked off the table, he suddenly doesn't want to look at her anymore. With another sigh he drops his head down, wrapping his arms around the knees he had pulled up to his chest rather pathetically.
 
Youngjae doesn't care about how embarassing his upright fetal position looks right now.  It's not like anyone would spare him a judging or even pitiful look at the moment anyways. They were all too busy looking at that dumb tall kid walk away, soaking up his spot light. And he didn't even seem to notice.  
 
Youngjae definitely. Did not like him. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Daehyun's head is bent low, his nose almost touching the pages of the text book splayed out over the library table. Youngjae praises his best friend for studying so hard these days, and Daehyun thanks him. Though he's not really studying. He sticks his face against a text book at times like these because Youngjae never shuts up about the same. stupid. thing. and maybe if he pretended to study for long enough, Youngjae would stop. He never did though. 
 
And Daehyun knows Youngjae's ranting has been pretty bad, considering the fact he could probably mouth the words along with Youngjae if he wanted to. It usually takes alot of ramming into his head for him to memorize something, and this daily rant of Youngjae's has been rammed into his head with a nail and hammer for the longest time. If only Youngjae could rant about Shakespeare like this everyday. 
 
"I swear to god that kid just milks every second of it. He knows he's hot and he just loves it!" 
 
Daehyun makes a little "Mm" noise to reassure Youngjae that he's still listening. Both of them know he's not, but Youngjae appreciates the effort anyways. 
 
"He's vain and he's arrogant and cocky and rude and stupid and-" 
 
"You don't even know him." Daehyun adds, not taking his eyes off the text book pages. Youngjae only scoffs. 
 
"I don't need to know him to know him, you know?" 
 
Daehyun counts how many "know"s were in that one sentence as Youngjae continues. 
 
"He hoards all the damn attention, he thinks he's some sort of skate boarding God, and I'm tired of him stealing the spotlight from me all the time!" 
 
It's Daehyun's turn to scoff. He looks up from his text book and eyes Youngjae through his dark brown bangs with a playful smile. 
 
"Spotlight? On you?" Daehyun squints at the area above Youngjae's head, mocking a confused expression. "I don't ever remember seeing a spotlight on you." 
 
Youngjae kicks him under the table and crosses his arms. "Well maybe you would've seen it if that stupid kid didn't take it from me." Daehyun makes a comment about how the only reason there'd ever be a spotlight on Youngjae would be to feature the paradigm nerd and it earns another kick under the table. It's not that painful. 
 
"Look, I know you hate him from the bottom of your heart but I also know it's simply because Jieun adores him," Daehyun leans away from his text book and challenges Youngjae's look of denial.
 
"I don't hate him because Jieun likes him. I hate him because he's purposely making Jieun like him." 
 
Daehyun lets out a sigh and shakes his head. "You are so annoying when you like someone, you know that right?" Youngjae snarls. "You don't know anything about this kid except that he's pretty handsome, pretty tall, and pretty good at skate boarding. You have no evidence or right to call him stupid and arrogant and rude."
 
Youngjae pouts at this. Mostly because Daehyun was right. "Why are you defending him? After three years of loyalty to our brotherhood, I expected you to be on my side." 
 
Daehyun leans his elbow on the table and boredly skims the text book pages with his finger tips. "I am on your side, but you're being judgemental because you're getting all jealous and scary and I think you should tone it down. The poor kid probably doesn't even know you exist, yet you hate him so passionately, it's kind of sad."
 
The younger finally uncrosses his arms and slumps in his chair. He hates how a few words out of Daehyun's lips always seemed to make Youngjae change his mind. Daehyun's always been good at manipulating his thoughts and it was actually pretty scary. Youngjae lets out a sigh and sinks further into his chair. Daehyun smiles a little when he thinks Youngjae gets the picture. 
 
"Fine. Maybe he's not rude or cocky or arrogant." Youngjae states, pushing the glasses up his nose. "But I still hate him." Daehyun rolls his eyes. He thought too soon. 
 
"You're such a child." Daehyun shakes his head again and Youngjae his eyebrow. 
 
"I'm not the one wearing strawberry print boxers."
 
Daehyun's obnoxious laugh resonates throughout the library. "For your information, they're ing y." The brunette makes an elegant gesture with his hands towards his crotch. "And also, it's creepy that you know that I'm wearing them and I hope you refrain from looking down my pants again in the future. Ever." 
 
They both laugh for a few moments when suddenly a head of blonde catches Youngjae's eye. Slowly siezing his laughter, he turns his attention towards him. Daehyun also turns to follow Youngjae's line of sight and they both watch as a tall blonde boy saunters into the library, a yellow backpack slung over his shoulder. Daehyun already knows that this kid is the kid Youngjae's been barking about. And he actually can't deny that this tall kid, with his lazy walk and messy uniform and equally messy blonde hair, does look pretty cool. 
 
Daehyun shifts his eyes back to his best friend when he believes it's time to stop staring, but Youngjae continues. The brunette snaps his fingers in front of Youngjae's face as Youngjae physically turns his head to follow the tall kid with his eyes. "Youngjae stop it, you're shameless."
 
Youngjae scoffs, finally looking away and glaring down at the table instead. 
 
Before Daehyun can make any quiet comments, another voice is filling the air. 
 
Youngjae sneaks a peek at the tall kid's direction and is surprised to see the pretty math teacher taking a seat in front of him near one of the library windows. Now Youngjae's never been the type to eavesdrop, but if anyone asks, it's just because God blessed him with excellent hearing that he's listening to this kid and his teacher's conversation.
 
He doesn't need to listen for too long after hearing "math" and "failing" to know what the problem was. The blonde's face doesn't seem to show much care though. Youngjae looks away and scoffs. 
 
"Poor kid," Daehyun murmurs quietly. "Gotta admit, high school math ain't that wonderful." 
 
"That's only because you're stupid."
 
"No, it's just that your big damn head is smarter than most." 
 
Youngjae smiles and takes it as a compliment despite the bite behind Daehyun's words. 
 
He is pretty smart. At least, smarter than Mr. tall kid over there. He'd never admit it out loud, but he felt more than pleased at the thought. 
 
But then again, it wasn't Youngjae's higher-than-average exam marks that Jieun was drooling over. And suddenly he wasn't so pleased anymore.

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Youngjae regrets every bad thing he's ever said about the tall kid as he makes his way down to the main office after school. Last period greeted him with his name ringing throughtout the school over the P.A., and he suddenly didn't know if he wanted to be Yoo Youngjae anymore. 
 
"Yoo Youngjae in third year, Yoo Youngjae in third year, please make your way to the office." 
 
He had never heard anything more terrifying in his life. Youngjae's never been in trouble in his life. 
 
"It's gonna be okay, sheesh, relax," Daehyun insists, but Youngjae's not listening. He's in a panic.
 
He doesn't think he's done anything wrong, he doesn't think he caused any harm. I mean sure, he left his garbage on the bench outside during lunch once but that was only because he was too worked up over that tall kid to bother remembering.
 
So it was probably the tall kid. The only thing he can remember being guilty for were all the things he's rambled about over the tall kid anyways. 
 
The conclusion doesn't make much sense to him, considering he was pretty strict on making sure no one heard his rants over the kid with Daehyun, and he doesn't know who'd get him in trouble for it. But that's the only thing running through his head as he opens the door to the office with a shaky hand. Daehyun tells him he'll wait outside, and "For God's sake, relax." 
 
"Yoo Youngjae?" The secretary asks more sweetly than Youngjae expected. He nods his head. "Ms. Jeong is waiting for you at the math department, she needs to speak to you." 
 
And there's a wave of relief until Youngjae realizes Ms. Jeong was in the library that day with that kid and - maybe she heard them? Maybe she heard him call the blonde kid stupid? The sweat on Youngjae's palms go cold and he nods again, smiling before heading out of the office and bumping right into Ms. Jeong herself.  
 
"Ah! Yoo Youngjae! Just the spectacular person I was looking for." She smiles a gummy smile and Youngjae's a little surprised. She doesn't seem angry. He's not complaining though.
 
"I-I was right about to head to the math department to.." 
 
"Ah yes, but it's alright because I'm here now anyways." Ms. Jeong digs through her purse and pulls out a file, slipping out a piece of paper and handing it to Youngjae. Daehyun bows a hello to Ms. Jeong as he retakes his spot beside the younger and tilts his head to take a look at the form in Youngjae's hand. 
 
Youngjae skims it once over and lifts an eyebrow. "T-Tutor?" 
 
Ms. Jeong nods and clasps her hands under her chin. It kind of reminds him of Jieun and he wonders if teachers are allowed to be so attractive.
 
"I know it's at such short notice and such a smart student like you must have a lot to juggle already but..." Ms. Jeong sighs and shakes her head. "You're the smartest kid in my math class. And I have a second year student who really needs some help right now. I'm so behind in marking and I really can't afford to give after school lessons. Of course, I'm sure you still remember the second year material though you're already in third year? You're the only one I can trust to do a good job teaching him. Please do me this favour, Youngjae. Please?"
 
Youngjae purses his lips and looks over the form. It's just a formally written letter talking about how long he's obliged to give tutor lessons and what exactly he needs to teach. He looks to the bottom where Ms. Jeong had signed, as well as another scrawled signature under hers whom he guesses is his potential student's. He has this bad feeling that signing this means he's selling his soul to some sort of demon. Daehyun shrugs when Youngjae looks up at him for an opinion. 
 
"It'll be a good experience! And it looks good in a resume! Plus, I think he's willing to pay you per lesson." Ms. Jeong pushes, pleading Youngjae whenn she sees the hesitation. Youngjae considers its appeal when suddenly Ms. Jeong points a finger behind him. "Oh! That's him! That's the boy!" 
 
And suddenly Youngjae has a strange feeling he knows who this boy is going to be as his memories from the library reminds him of a certain tall kid failing math. But as he turns around, he still prays for the best.  
 
Tall. Blonde. Skateboard in hand. Daehyun's doubling in laughter.
 
Youngjae turns back to his teacher, ignoring her pleading eyes.  
 
"Absolutely not." 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Youngjae doesn't know how the hell he let this happen but it's Friday after school and he's making his way to the library. It's his first meeting and lesson with his new "student", better known as the tall kid he can barely even think about without feeling his skin burn let alone spend two hours tutoring. And it's annoying that he can't even say "Ms. Jeong owes me so much" because what could she give him in return? Bonus marks he doesn't even need? Gold stickers? 
 
He sighs as he pushes open the library doors and makes his way to one of the back tables near the window where Ms. Jeong said his student would be waiting for him. And just as promised, the kid is sitting there with legs up on the table, staring out the window. At least he was punctual. 
 
Youngjae feels like he should be more nervous, but he's more annoyed than anything right now. Friday nights were the best nights because he got to walk Jieun home. And if he were lucky they could stop by that ice cream shop or catch a movie. But now his Friday nights had to go to this kid. It was all this kid's fault. Always this kid's fault.  
 
He lets out a cough and the blonde boy turns to look up at him. He smiles this smile Youngjae doesn't know how to read before swinging his legs off the table and slowly standing up. He was taller than Youngjae thought. The kid gives him a once over and Youngjae does the same - though it takes much longer because of the height difference. 
 
Silence.
 
"You're that kid." 
 
The addressed "kid" lets out a scoff and it kind of pisses Youngjae off how the cool and superior aura just radiates off him and slaps Youngjae in the face. 
 
"Thanks for the obvious." The tall kid snorts, though he's clearly not a kid considering how tall he is and the high school uniform and all. He's literally looming over him, his cardigan no where in sight, his tie hanging loosely around his neck and his white polo buttoned down enough to show a wifebeater clinging to his chest. Typical cool kid. Youngjae hates him even more.
 
Youngjae admits he would feel kind of intimidated if it weren't for the fact that this kid's whole school success, this kid's entire future, depended on Youngjae's genius brain and charitable tutoring skills. If he really wanted to, he could make this kid beg on his knees for his help. Well okay, it might not be that drastic, and there are other willing tutors out there, but Youngjae still sticks his chin up a little higher at the thought.
 
"You're that geek," The tall kid retaliates after a while, but it doesn't hurt Youngjae's built up pride too much. He's heard that insult too many times already. "The one always pitifully drooling over that pretty noona's shoulder." 
 
That one was pretty painful. 
 
Youngjae drops his jaw and feels his face heat up and though his mouth is wide open, nothing seems to be coming out except a few embarassing sputters and angry attempts at a comeback. He doesn't know whether he's more angry that this tall kid thinks he can make judgemental accusations (although they were unfortunately correct) or that this tall kid actually called Jieun, his Jieun, a "pretty noona". Technically she wasn't his. But they've been best friends since he could remember and this cocky bastard had no right to compliment her. Now Youngjae's angry at his own childish jealousy. But Youngjae's just angry at everything these days. 
 
"Do me a favour and tell her to quit staring?" The kid requests in a rather nonchalant voice that makes Youngjae want to introduce the heel of his uniform shoes to the bridge of this tall kid's nose. Not like he was flexible enough to reach that high, though. He feels that anger thermometer in his stomach just rocketing to the top. "It's hard to skate when such a pretty girl watches my every move. I mean I wouldn't want to mess up in front of such a fine-" 
 
The tall kid doesn't get to finish as Youngjae suddenly kicks the chair in front of him and turns to leave. 
 
"Hey wait! Wait, wait, wait." The kid is scrambling after him, running around the library table to grab Youngjae's wrist. "Ch-chill, I was just playing." 
 
Youngjae shoots him a glare over his shoulder and is surprised when the tall kid seems to shrink away. Not as cool and intimidating as he looks, Youngjae notes. When the kid doesn't let go of his wrist, and when Youngjae doesn't say anything to break the tension, the younger does this thing with his big eyes that suddenly makes Youngjae feel really bad for being angry. Screw him and his adorable eyes. 
 
"Look, I'm sorry, I really do need your help. I can't afford to fail this class." The kid lets go of his wrist when he's sure Youngjae won't suddenly storm off and he slumps his shoulders in a rather contrasting way to the intimidating image Youngjae is so used to. "I need you."
 
"Clearly." Youngjae scoffs, turning to face the younger once again, his angry glare only softening a little bit. After a few moments of silence, Youngjae takes his gaze off the younger and drops his bag beside the chair he just abused a minute ago. He pulls it out and sits down, crossing his arms in front of him. 
 
The kid's eyes sparkle in relief and he scurries to take the seat opposite from his new tutor. 
 
"I'm Junhong by the way." He introduces himself, flipping the blonde hair out of his face. He was handsome. Even his name was handsome. It pisses Youngjae off. "I totally admire your long lasting dedication to that pretty girl despite the obvious unrequited feelings and complete different levels of popularity between the two of you." 
 
Junhong covers his mouth with his own hand before Youngjae's fist beats him to it. 
 
"Alright Junhong, I'm just gonna lay out a few rules here for you," Youngjae hisses in attempt to stay calm, despite Junhong's complaints about "You're supposed to give me your name too! That's not how making friends works!"
 
"Number one, don't talk about Jieun, don't say Jieun's name, don't think about Jieun. After this second, you don't even know what a Jieun is." 
 
Junhong thanks Youngjae for telling him the pretty noona's name and Youngjae ignores the comment, continuing through clenched teeth.  
 
"Number two, pay attention to our tutor sessions because my isn't staying in this seat a second later than the period of time I'm paid to give you."   
 
Junhong nods in recognition.
 
"And number three, we are not friends. Just a hopeless student and his gracious master."   
 
Junhong leans back in his seat and smirks. "Sounds easy. Will do, master Youngjae." 
 
Youngjae's about to nod his head in approval when he realizes he's never given Junhong his name before. "How did you-" 
Junhong points at the pristine name tag pinned above Youngjae's heart. "Good grades, perfect uniform, and you're even wearing your name tag. I'm honoured to even be in your presence." 
 
And Youngjae's standing up to leave once more when he realizes Junhong's doing that thing with his eyes again and he can't help but sit back down.   
 
"Another rule. You're ing annoying. Never use those puppy eyes on me ever again." 
 
"Works every time." Junhong sings happily under his breath, turning around to dig his textbook out of his yellow backpack. 
 
When he turns back around,  he find Youngjae's face slammed against the top of the table in obvious self defeat. Junhong smiles to himself. 
 
"I think this is a start of a beautiful friendship." 
 
And Youngjae would've lifted his head and made a reference to rule number three, but his glasses cracked at the impact of his face to the desk and he'd rather not degrade his image in front of Junhong any further. 
 
This week was going just wonderfully.
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"I didn't say you could follow me home." 
 
"It wasn't part of your rules though." Junhong smirks, hands in pockets as he takes slow long steps to stay at Youngjae's pace. Their first lesson went more or less horribly and Youngjae must say he's never met anyone more unfocused and dumb and extremely annoying until now. And he used to think Daehyun was bad. Daehyun was a genius compared to this kid. 
 
"Well, I'm making it a rule now. Rule number four; don't follow me home." 
 
"But rule number four is not to use puppy eyes. Does that mean that rule is being exempt and I can use them again?" Junhong takes a long step in front of Youngjae to turn and use those big pretty eyes again and Youngjae has to shove him away.  
 
"No! Most definitely not." 
 
"So this new rule is actually," Junhong stretches his fingers out in front of him, "rule number five."
 
"It doesn't matter which damn rule number it is, it's still a rule and you need to go away!" Youngjae snaps.
 
Junhong clutches his chest and mocks a hurt expression. "Ouch."
 
Youngjae rolls his eyes and continues walking angrily down the sidewalk. "I'm serious." 
 
"Don't flatter yourself," Junhong scoffs, skipping happily. "My house is this way too." 
 
Oh. Youngjae feels a little dumb now, but he's still angry so he doesn't care. "Take another route then." 
 
"I don't think I need to follow your rules when we're not taking lessons, master," Junhong replies with this sarcasm that Youngjae's already gotten used to after two hours of tutoring him. Or at least trying to. "I can take whichever route I want to take." 
 
"Fine then," Youngjae exclaims, stopping in his tracks. "I'll just take another route." He turns on his heel and starts walking the other direction. It's unecessary and it'll take so much longer but hey, anything to get away from this kid. And at least he's getting exercise. He isn't given enough time to praise his own decision as Junhong falls into step with him again. Youngjae doesn't even bother to complain anymore. It's almost dinner time and he just wants to go home. 
 
"You really hate me, huh?" 
 
"Thanks for the obvious," Youngjae flings back. 
 
Junhong smiles. "I don't understand what I did, though! You've only known me for two hours." Youngjae stays silent because it's kind of true and he doesn't want to admit it. They continue walking in silence down the orange-sunlit sidewalk until Junhong let's out a small "Aha!" 
 
"Is it because of that Jieun girl?"
 
Youngjae almost trips on himself. 
 
"Wh-what?!" He sputters incredulously, although there was no point in denying it. It was just so obvious.  
 
"It is that Jieun girl, huh? That's why you got so pissed when I teased you about her earlier..." Junhong nods to himself, shrugging his shoulders. "Hey, I'm sorry, I just like playing around. And don't worry about it. I mean she's pretty and all-" Youngjae flinches at the compliment. "-but she isn't my type, really. I'm not interested, I swear. She's all yours. Don't hate me anymore?" 
 
Youngjae admits the hatred level drops just the slightest bit. But just a bit. 
 
"I never said it was because of Jieun." 
 
"But it is, isn't it?"
 
Youngjae sighs and tries walking faster because he really doesn't want to talk about this, but he slows down when it's obvious he can't out-walk Junhong. The kid's legs were too long. 
 
"What do you want me to do?" Junhong asks, turning to look at Youngjae. He's starting to resemble a desperate puppy and Youngjae doesn't know if it's annoying or cute. "What do I need to do to make you stop hating me so much?"
 
"Why does it bother you that I hate you?" Youngjae spits and Junhong laughs. It's this pretty chime-like laugh that doesn't fit Junhong at all. 
 
"What kind of dumb question is that? Would you like it if some guy you just met happens to hate you with a burning passion for no apparent reason?" 
 
Youngjae can't help but agree. 
 
"Fine. Stop seducing Jieun." 
 
Junhong laughs even louder this time. "Hey, that's not gonna be easy," the younger jokes, "Damn the heavens for giving me such good looks." 
 
"Stop being so cocky while you're at it!" Youngjae snarls as Junhong fake sobs into his palms because being attractive is apparerently just the worst thing that could ever happen to someone.
 
"I'm not cocky, you just think I am, so I'm playing along with it. You're welcome." 
 
Youngjae sighs and starts dragging his feet. This kid was so exhausting. 
 
"So you really like this girl..." Junhong says suddenly, and Youngjae's not sure if he should trust the understanding look on Junhong's face. Even so, Youngjae gives up and gives a tiny nod. He has nothing to lose. He'd make an even bigger fool of himself he tried to deny it anymore. I mean, everyone seemed to know. Just not Jieun herself. "Sorry man, I swear I'm not trying to impress her or anything. I just... can't help it?" Junhong laughs again. ", I really do sound cocky."
 
"You are." Youngjae glares as Junhong shrugs in apology. 
 
"I swear though, I just skate 'cause I like skating. I don't care about those girls. They're irrelevant to me. I think the smart thing for you to do would be to eat somewhere else for lunch. Don't let her see me, or something." 
 
"She likes it there though. She chose to sit there on our first day of high school. She likes the shade of that tree over the bench during the spring time and enjoys the view during the fall. She likes the breeze of that area since the school walls block most of the harsher winds. She hates when her hair gets messy, and that spot lets enough sun and breeze to do beautiful things to her hair." Youngjae sighs at the thought. Junhong whistles. 
 
"You're head over heels." The blonde shakes his head and Youngjae can swear he actually looks a little sorry.
 
"Yeah," The older sighs. "And she is too. Over you." 
 
Junhong furrows his eyebrows together before putting his hand to his chest. 
 
"Just because she drools over me during lunch hours shouldn't mean too much. But I swear to you, Youngjae. I'll do everything in my capabilities to help you out. Everything to make her forget about me, alright?" Junhong jumps in front of Youngjae and grabs him by the shoulders. "You can count on me, my friend!" 
 
Youngjae wonders why he cares so much. It's annoying. But he can't help but appreciate it a little. 
 
Even so, he shrugs Junhong's hands off before walking around him. "You're not my friend, and I don't need your help." 
 
But Junhong still catches the small smile on the elder's face. Youngjae's in awe. Was he really having some sort of comfort talk with the one kid he despised for majority of his school life? Were they really just walking home side by side right now? It was crazy, Youngjae thinks to himself, but the hatred drops just a teeny bit more.
 
They continue walking, the air a little less tense than before, until Youngjae's finally at the front of his house. He can't believe they actually walked around the whole two blocks to get there. He's more surprised Junhong was capable of being quiet for that long of a time.  
 
Youngjae walks up to his gate and turns around, seeing Junhong give him a little wave. "I guess I'll... see you next Monday or something?" He doesn't know what to say. He still hates him, but Junhong's smiling and what the hell were you even supposed to say to this kid that just followed you home?
 
Junhong puts his hands back in his pockets. "Hey, at least I got to walk you home today! Way better than walking with Jieun, right?" 
 
Youngjae can't help but laugh this time. "Of course. I can't believe I was even worthy enough to be walked home by you. You annoying twerp."  
 
Junhong shrugs, smiling widely. Progress. "Can't help it, I'm a gentleman. I hope I don't seduce you, too." 
 
Youngjae rolls his eyes and digs his keys out of his pockets, letting himself in.
 
And as Junhong walks away, Youngjae thinks he's not as bad as he had assumed. 
 
But still pretty bad.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The next morning when Youngjae's making his way to a coffee shop in jogging pants sporting messy hair straight out of bed and a blurry memory, he doesn't know what to expect. 
 
He remembers being forced out of bed by the angry non-stop ringing of his phone, though. It was only 8 in the morning. It was Saturday. He swears you're not even allowed to be awake at this time.  
 
But of course, it's Daehyun on the phone and he has his way with words and despite Youngjae being half asleep, he's dragging himself to the coffee shop a block or so away. Daehyun insisted it was urgent and Youngjae hopes his it is because it's 8 am and God, he just wants his bed. 
 
But when he's finally arriving at the coffee shop and he sees Daehyun with hands clasped together on the table and he takes in the terrible state his best friend seems to be in, he feels a little more worried than tired. 
 
"You look like ." Youngjae tries to joke as he takes a seat. " No sleep last night?" Daehyun only looks up at him with this expression he can't read. It's kind of scary. 
 
"I didn't." Daehyun sighs, frustratedly running his fingers through his hair. They stay quiet for an amount of time and Youngjae's about to start telling him about his time with Junhong when Daehyun finally opens his mouth. "So... uh... I know this is really weird and out of the blue and to be honest I'm not sure if I can talk about it yet but god, I just really need to let it out and I don't know who I should even say it to but..." Youngjae feels the table shake and notices Daehyun tapping his foot rapidly - something he only ever does when something's really bugging him.
 
"Alright, spill it. What's up?" Youngjae asks, sincerely worried for his best friend. Daehyun looks like he wants to just explode, but his lips are shut tight now. Youngjae takes the coffee from Daehyun's hands and takes a sip. "Come on, you can tell me anything remember? What's on your mind?" Youngjae knows too much about Daehyun anyways. It was probably school, or his parents, or something like that. Nothing that Youngjae couldn't handle. 
 
But the quiet "I think I'm gay" that sort of just abruptly tumbled out of Daehyun's lips was obviously not something Youngjae could handle. Nor was the coffee that he just spilled all over the table. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
----
A/N wowow ~! you made it to the end of chapter one~ ;; i hope it wasn't too bad? please tell me what you think hehe ^^