CH2: JiHoon's Death

MISFITS: 사랑한다면 이들처럼

 

“Joon! Jinah! Anybody home?” Jihoon yelled for his siblings once he entered through the front door of their house. He looked around the quiet household finding no signs of life. Letting out a sigh he threw his bag onto the kitchen table before grabbing himself a soda in the fridge. The young scientists reran his lines in his head preparing himself for what he was going to tell his siblings. Not long after he heard the sound of small footsteps running down the stairs breaking him out of his thoughts.

“Uncle Jihoon!” A little girl called out excitedly running towards the older man and hugging his left leg.

“Princess Soojung-ah!” He laughed at his excited niece before bending down to pick her up. He looked towards the stairs and found his nephew cautiously going down the stairs with a concentrated face. The little boy was climbing down the stairs backwards on his hands and feet with his tongue poking out.

“Taemin-ah, you’re getting better with going down the stairs!” Jihoon said walking over to little boy and picking him up as well. In his left arm rested his beautiful niece while in the other was his adorable nephew. “Where’s your mommy?”

“Upstairs, she’s on the phone with someone important.” Taemin informed his uncle to which the older man just nodded his head.

“Where’s Uncle Joon?” He asked the two switching to look at both of them.

“Napping.” Soojung answered him this time.

“Is that so?” The two toddlers nodded their heads as an answer. Jihoon just laughed and kissed both kids on their temples.

“Hey, hyung.” Jihoon turned around to find his nineteen year old brother yawning and rubbing the back of his head tiredly.

“Well good morning princess Joonie!” Jihoon jokingly said making the two toddlers in his arm giggle.

“Ha, very funny.” Joon mumbled walking past the three gigglers and making his way into the kitchen.

“Uncle Jihoon, are you going to bring back Eunyoungie to play again soon?” His little niece asked grabbing the sides of his face with her small hands looking hopeful up at her uncle. Jihoon smiled sadly at her question. It just reminded him that today was going to be his last day seeing his niece and nephew.

“I don’t know if I can princess…” He told her sadly.

“What about Jongin and Myungsoo?” Taemin asked looking hopeful as well. Jihoon felt his heart grow heavy at the two’s faces. Knowing that the six toddlers had grown to like one another after their first meeting made his heart hurt in a way he couldn't explain.

“Maybe in the future. They’re all sick and need rest right now.” Jihoon told the two. He wasn’t completely lying. The two toddlers looked down in sadness at his answer. Feeling sorry for the two he carried them into the kitchen for some ice cream, hoping to make them forget about their previous questions. The three ate their ice cream in peace, Jihoon was glad the two stopped mentioning the three other toddlers.

“Oppa, it’s too late for them to be eating ice cream!” Jihoon and Joon laughed when they heard their sister’s disapproving yell. Soojung and Taemin quickly ate their last pieces of ice cream once they heard their mother. The two knew that they weren’t aloud to eat ice cream so late into the day but they weren’t able to resist either. “Taemin, Krystal… you two should know better.”

“Sorry mommy.” The two toddlers apologized together.

“Relax Jinah… I only gave them a little.” Jihoon explained as his sister marched towards her children and started to wipe their chocolate covered faces. Jinah ignored him and continued to wipe the children’s sticky faces and hands. “Oh, so since you two are here now… I have something to tell you guys.”

Joon and Jinah stopped what they were both doing and looked over to their older brother. Jihoon cleared his throat before telling the two toddlers to go play leaving the three with some privacy.

“I got a new job offer!” Jihoon tried to sound excited but he knew he failed and that the way he said it was awkward and unbelievable.

“Really?” Joon asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah, a new experiment. But this time, they want me to work in China for a few months.” Jihoon tried his best to avoid his siblings questioning stares. It had always been hard for him to lie, especially to them.

“That’s good.” Jinah said surprising Jihoon. “That’s really exciting.”

“Yeah, it is.” Jihoon blew out a sigh of relief and nodded his head.

“Cool.” That was all Joon said before walking out of the room. The two older siblings watched as he disappeared.

“What’s with him?” Jinah shrugged her shoulders not knowing. She gave her older brother a hug before turning to go find her kids to get them cleaned up for bed. Jihoon decided to follow his little brother to talk privately. He knocked once he was in front of Joon’s bedroom door.

“Come in.” The scientist made his way into the bedroom.

“Can I talk to you real quick?” Jihoon asked seating himself on Joon’s bed.

“Yeah, what?” Joon asked not bothering to look at his brother. He was too into his laptop and the contents of the screen.

“I’ll be gone for a long time, I just want to make sure that you’ll be the man of this house. I need to know that you’ll take care of Jinah and the twins.” Jihoon stated in a serious tone. Joon paused his actions and looked over to his older brother.

“Of course I will.” Joon scoffed before returning his attention back to his laptop.

“I’m serious… I’m counting on you Joonie.” Jihoon said walking behind his brother and ruffling his hair.

“Yeah, yeah.” Joon swiped his hand away before rolling his eyes at his brother. All Jihoon could do was smile sadly at his little brother before leaving the room. For the rest of the day, Jihoon spent it playing with his niece and nephew along with Jinah. Before saying his last goodbye, he made sure to hug each one of them tightly. He held his tears in when the realization hit him that it would be the last time he’d see them as Jung Jihoon.

 

☰✖

 

“Appa, where are we going?” Jihoon looked down his right side at the small boy gripping his hand tightly. On his other side was another small boy holding his jacket tightly. And in his free arm was a little girl smaller than both the other two. The three children looked around curiously as people and cars passed them.

“We’re going to go somewhere far away.” He told the three walking faster once he spotted Hyori’s car. The little boy that wasn’t holding either of his hands started to jog alongside the older man as his pace got faster. “Myungsoo, stay close buddy.”

“Ne.” Myungsoo said as he gripped harder onto Jihoon’s jacket with his small fist while jogging slightly to keep in pace with the taller male. They stopped walking when they reached Hyori who was leaned against her car. Jihoon started buckling the kids into the backseats as Hyori threw their bags into the trunk.

“Okay, so we have about less than an hour to get you out of here … that should be enough time. Your flight leaves in thirty minutes. There’s already someone waiting to get you to the plane in time without having to go through security.” Hyori explained as she started to drive towards their destination.

“You don’t know how thankful I am to have you helping me.” Jihoon told the doctor. “Are all the formula’s gone?”

“The whole lab will be demolished in about half an hour gives me enough time to head back and act out your death. Toxic gas is being released into it right now. Soon the alarms will ring inside the lab and everyone will be out but don’t worry the gas won’t be able to reach them. Once it sets off, fifteen minutes after fire should start in the lab burning everything into crisp.” Jihoon smiled at the brilliance of Hyori’s plan.

“What about Seunghyun?” Jihoon’s leg bounced up and down nervously when he thought about the general.

“Easy, we replaced the camera’s already. All playbacks of today’s events were pre-recorded. So if he reviews them back it’ll be the fake tape we made. Everyone including him will believe you were gassed and burnt to death with the three children. And going in that room would mean death so they would have no choice but to demolish the whole facility meaning they won’t get your formula or body.” Hyori hurriedly explained once they reached the back of the airport where a man in a suit waited for them. “That’s your guy, his name is Dennis Oh, Korean-American. He’ll assist you all the way to America. He’ll be your bodyguard incase anything happens for the next few months or longer, depends on you.”

“Do I even want to where you got that guy?” Jihoon asked raising an eyebrow as he stared at the sharp looking young man.

“He’s my ex-boyfriend. There’s also another one waiting in America for you and the kids. His name is Daniel Henney, also an ex. They’re brothers, different fathers though.” Jihoon did a double take at the man and gulped. “Don’t worry though, they both really wanted to help when I told both of them about your situation. And they will help you with everything… and I mean everything.”

“The plane is ready to leave in ten minutes, we should hurry.” Dennis said smiling at the scientist as he helped him get the kids and luggage. Jihoon nodded his head then turned to Hyori.

“Thank you… I’ll repay you one day.” Jihoon said bowing deeply to the doctor. Hyori laughed lightly walking up to the man and hugging him tightly. “But what about you? What’s going to happen to you after this? Your work and everything?”

“Don’t worry about me, I plan on running away to Europe or something. I’m done with this sick government job anyway. Just worry about taking care of those kids. Dennis will take you to this hospital that can help you incase something happens to the kids. And he will help you change your identity as soon as you land.” Hyori whispered into his ear. “Don’t make me regret helping you because I recruited a lot of people into this plan and I’ve put myself on the line for you, come back soon with those kids alright? And maybe when we both get back you and I can reconnect.”

“I will take care of them with my life.” Jihoon nodded his head. “Thank you, Lee Hyori.”

“And remember from this day on… Jung Jihoon is dead.”

 

☰✖

 

“What’s going on here?” A deep voice screamed angrily making everyone freeze in their spots.

“General Choi, there’s a toxic gas leak and fire in Laboratory Paragon.” A soldier said raising his arm in salute to his superior.

“Fire? Gas leak? What kind of gas are we talking about here?” The general asked in disbelief.

“Sulfur mustard gas, sir.” The general looked around where hundreds of doctors and scientist along with soldiers stood terrified out of their minds. He searched through the crowd for a specific person and when his eyes landed on hers he marched towards her angrily.

“Where’s Jihoon?” He asked staring intently at her. The lady’s eyes brimmed with tears and she shook her head. “Answer me!”

“H-he was inside the Paragon experiment room. He started blistering and burning inside, we couldn’t get him out in time.” She stuttered out wiping her tears and glaring back at the man before her. She tried to keep her composure and fear inside, as she lied straight through her teeth. She was hoping that her acting skills would work.

“Were the children in there with him?” He asked eyeing her carefully. She just nodded her head. With that he walked away and she watched his back. Inside she smirked and high fived herself for her act. On the other hand General Choi was furious.

“General, the fire is traveling through the whole building. In an hour’s time it’ll have the whole building covered. We need to clear the whole building with water. We need to call reinforcement and get some planes to water down the building.” Seunghyun thought of his options before waving his hands.

“Do it… don't destroy Paragon. Take the fire out find anything that wasn't damaged in there and bring it to me. Understood? I want all the test tubes, formulas, paperwork anything you find in there.” He instructed fixing his uniform before walking away. The soldier nodded his head in understanding then proceeded to call up the others and inform them of the General’s instructions.

 


 

 

Slowly introducing all the characters. Daniel Henney and Dennis Oh will play extremely special roles. Same with Joon and Nana! The General is TOP but known by his real korean name here.