Chapter Nine

Stargazer

  “How many know?” Andrea asked when she heard the cottage door open and close behind her. “About… Stargazers, and this place?”

  “None know the truth outside this village,” Sehun replied. “People out there think we are, as I recall, infant-eating witches.”

  “Are you?” Andrea picked at a flower by her feet.

  “Do you see anyone getting ready to roast wailing infants?”

  She ignored the sarcasm in his voice. “Then what about – “

  “This village is a secret, girly.” Sehun sighed, walked over to where Andrea was sitting, and sat down next to her. “No one outside knows of this place except for the few Stargazers, as we now call them Fetchers, hidden among the people in the Southern Commonwealth. Everyone thinks we are either dying in the dungeons or banned to the end of this world.”

  “Why? Just because you guys used to be the supporters of King Park Chan Young? Just because he killed his own friend?”

  “What?!” Sehun turned to face Andrea fully. “How… who told you that? No one knows – “

  Andrea looked down, avoiding his eyes. “Someone… I-I just accidently overheard some people talking at the bar – “

  “You’re lying. No one knows the truth of the Fire except for us Stargazers and… unless a royal told you. A royal of high position – “

  “It’s the prince, Sehuna.” Luhan’s voice suddenly appeared behind them. “She has been contacting with… the prince, I can see it in – “

  Andrea shot up, and despite the fact that Luhan had been the nicest to her of the three boys she had met, she glared at him. “I said stay out of my head! Can't I maintain my own privacy – “

  “My apologies, Andrea,” Luhan didn’t look a slight bit apologetic, “but if we are to be honest with each other, you cannot lie to us.”

  “That does not mean you can invade my mind!” Andrea nearly shouted. “And I had no intent on lying, just… not telling you…”

  “It’s wrong.” Sehun looked up at her, something like fury burning in his eyes. “What the prince had told you is wrong.”

  “What do you mean – “

   A sudden clatter inside Hazel’s cottage immediately gained the attention of the three teenagers. Without a word, Sehun dashed inside, with Luhan and Andrea behind following suit. When they entered the living room, they saw Hazel and a guy, the guy who Andrea had assumed the leader of the guards at the river, locked in a heated argument.

  “… waiting for Gillian – “

  “I shall wait no more!” The bulky man raged. “The longer she is here, the more she is exposed to our secrets!”

  “But Orion – “

  “She is an outsider, and as much as I trust Luhan and the kids, I should have never agreed to let her in – “

  “I told you! She could hear them telepathing each other, she has eyes the color no one has seen for seven years, so we need to wait for Gillian to see if he has answers!”

  Orion spotted Andrea standing a few feet away, and his piercing gaze felt like a long, sharp sword cutting into her. “There is no need for answers,” he hissed, “because if she has abilities, too, then that means she is one of us.”

  Andrea took a step back. “T-that’s impossible. I don’t have a mark!”

  “If that is the matter, then you shall not stay here and let the fear of the villagers brew!”

  Fear?! Andrea was confused. Why would the villagers here be afraid of me? “Do you assume… that I would go and report this whole thing to the king?” Andrea shook her head. “Because I won’t!”

  “And why wouldn’t you?” Orion challenged her. “Why wouldn’t you do such a thing if it could let you be rewarded with money, a name, or even land? Why – “

  “Because I do not desire any of them,” she replied firmly. “They might satisfy men and women temporarily but they mean nothing to me. Not when the cost is the safety of a whole village of innocent people!”

  She didn’t know how and why, but when she spoke, the whole room went quiet. Every person stared at her with various expressions: some shocked, some startled, and some… in awe. Especially Orion. He stared at Andrea like he had only seen her now for the first time.

  “Impossible…” he stuttered – were those tears in his eyes?! “Y-you sound just like – “

  “Her,” Hazel finished the sentence for Orion. “She sounded just like her.”

  Before Andrea could ask who they were talking about, as if Orion stepped out of his trance, his gaze hardened, but softer than before. “No matter what, take her to leave right this instance, Sehun.” He gave the boy a look that meant he would not tolerate refusing. “We will ask Gillian when he comes back, but for the meanwhile she has to leave, or surely someone will notice her disappearance and start asking questions, and we cannot afford that to happen.”

***

  The trip back to where she and the boys had met seemed quicker this time. But to make sure Andrea got back home safe, Sehun insisted on accompanying her to the border of the Southern Commonwealth and the Forbidden Woods.

  When Andrea stepped over the border without any hesitation, she hadn’t realize that Sehun just stayed until a few steps later.

  “Sehun?” She walked back. “Do you… maybe you would like to come in to my cottage – “ she pointed to her cottage a few feet away, “have some tea and then go back?”

  Sehun shook his head slowly. “I haven’t… I haven’t stepped foot in the Southern Commonwealth for seven years…”

  Understanding shone in Andrea’s eyes. “Oh… then maybe you could – “

  “No.” He took a step back, blending into the shadows of the trees conjured by the sun’s rays. “I-I should go now, and you might need to hurry in before you get seen by anybody.”

  “But Sehun – “

  His mouth twitched, as if he wanted to smile but pushed it down. “Normally I would tell you to never trespass in the Forbidden Woods again, girly, but I have a feeling that won’t stop you from coming back in.”

  “Of course it won’t! You haven’t told me why I could hear your voices in my head, why Hazel was looking at me like I reminded her of someone, what you meant about Baekhyun being wrong about the Fire, why as a talented and experienced hunter Rick is he never told me about the village because he must have known – “

  Sehun stiffened, and Andrea felt it. “Rick?” His voice was filled with unbelief. “Did you just say Rick?!”

  “Yes,” Andrea replied, even more confused. “Rick Archer, my father.”

  “No, that is nonsense.” Sehun’s voice was lower than a whisper, but it seemed to ring through the night as clear as a bell. “Rick Archer has no children.”


[A/N] This story is just getting so interesting... for me lah. Dunno about you guys hehe. GONNA UPDATE AGAIN SOON!! <3

THANK YOU WITH ALL MY HEART, FOR SUBSCRIBING AND COMMENTING AND UPVOTING AND SUPPORTING THIS STORY ;__; LOVE YOU GUYS<3<3