Nine

Torn Between the Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter XI  

He raised his hand to knock, but he dropped it yet again for the millionth time. Do it. He exhaled and mentally prepared himself. Do it. His hand rose and hit the empty air where the door was supposed to be.

 

“Good morning, Master,” one of his mom’s maid said, eyes quickly darting to the pristine white tile floor. He cleared his throat and took a step back.

 

“Is my mother home?” he asked.

 

“Madam is in the dining hall...She’s waiting for you,” she replied, stepping away from the door opening it wider. “Please come in.”

 

Yongguk forced himself to go in rigidly making his way to the dining hall. His footsteps echoing against the walls. Do it. Do it, Yongguk.

 

“Yongguk-ah, good morning,” said Madam, her heavy lidded eyes scrutinizing her son. She was clothed in a blood red business formal dress, a string of black pearls slung around her neck. The hand that sported a plain golden wedding band and a gigantic diamond ring beckoned him to stand closer.

 

Yongguk stiffly bowed. “Good morning, Madam,” he said. He took a quick look around the room and saw no difference from many years ago, save for a new blown up portrait of her and her new lover. How much younger is he this time, Mother?

 

“Have a seat, Yongguk, and eat breakfast with me,” she said, beckoning to one of her attendants, “Prepare a plate for my son.”

 

“There’s no need, Madam, I already ate. I came here tell you something,” he said, waving his hand to signal the maid to stay put. He sat back in his seat and properly faced his mother. She was fifty years of age and has aged quite beautifully. She has managed to naturally retain her straight ebony black hair through the years, and no hint of wrinkles graced her face. Her eyes, however, were cold, calculating, and , Yongguk inwardly shuddered, controlling. Her lips were set in a firm line as she waited for her son to continue. The words hurriedly spilled out of him in a deep voiced grumble. “I’m not going to go to that arranged marriage meeting.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter