The New Bestie

Your Guardian Angel

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.

 

Naeun took a sip from one of her most favorite drinks in the world, the chocolate frappe at this leading coffee shop in Los Angeles. After she took a sip, she checked her phone for some messages but there was none. Aigoo, where could he be? She wondered. She rested her back against the comfortable soft couch of the coffee shop and stared at the people passing by when someone suddenly covered her eyes. She jumped in place and patted the hands of the person covering her eyes when suddenly the anonymous person spoke up, revealing his manly and familiar voice, “Guess who?”

She felt her cheeks starting to blush when she heard the familiar voice of the person. Only hearing that voice could already make her heart beat fast, how much more if she could finally see the face of that certain person? She giggled softly as she pretended that she didn’t know who the person was so she answered his question, talking in a voice as if she was uncertain, “I have no idea. Who could this be? Do I know you?”

The guy chuckled softly at her answer, not sure if she already recognized him through his voice. He leaned in closer to her ear and whispered softly, “Yes, you know me, Miss.”

 “Oh, I know you?” Naeun resumed on acting then pursed her lips as if she was thinking further more if who this person was, “Hmmm, let me guess more. Are you handsome?”

 He flashed his infamous heart melting wide smile when she asked that. He could already feel that she already had an idea on who he was but he decided to play along with her. Oh well, who wanted to become a kill joy anyway? “Handsome? Well, according to this very beautiful girlfriend of mine, I guess I am. She told me many times how handsome I am so, yeah, I trust my girlfriend.”

She giggled softly because what he said was true; for her, he is the most handsome guy she has ever met! The first time she saw her, she felt like her heart was thumping hardly as if it wanted to jump off from her chest. Yes, she loved someone when she was still in Seoul but with her current one, it was different. It was stronger than what she had felt towards Myungsoo. It seemed like, with Myungsoo, it was just puppy love but with the current love, it seemed like it was true and everlasting. She couldn’t even imagine life without him for he was not just her boyfriend but also, he was the best friend whom she grew up together with and whom she could be just herself. He was her soulmate, her destiny, her life… her everything.

Naeun pretended to question what he said but tried her best to hide her soft and playful giggle as she was just joking around at this very moment, "Oh, so your girlfriend said that you are handsome? Well, I could not agree to her yet since you are covering my eyes right now, Sir, and I need to see your face so that I could agree to what your girlfriend just claimed. There was a great chance that your girlfriend was just telling a lie since you are her man and she wanted you to feel special.” She chuckled softly at her words after with a hope that he would not take the words she said earlier seriously because everything she said a while ago was just a joke.

He let out a cute pout as a reaction towards what she said. What if she was just lying? What if the words she said a while ago were true? But then he remembered how playful his best friend was. He then let out a chuckle at her joke and then smiled, pecking the top of her head sweetly before resting his cheek on top of it. "Sorry miss but I do not believe you. I trust my girlfriend and I know she won’t ever lie to me like that. She has told me that many times and I believe her. She won’t ever lie to the person who owns her heart now and forever."

 She smiled happily at his sweet response, feeling the butterflies flying all around inside her stomach again, which she felt every time she was with him. He really knew the real her and that she could trust him very well. She really felt lucky because she got a very fine man, a man whom every girl could consider Mr. Right. A guy like him would not believe what other people would say about her easily, which might cause them to separate.

She heaved out a sigh of sadness at the thought of separation. She really didn’t want that to happen for it would cause her pain and hurt. She didn’t want to lose him, the most important guy she had ever treasured in her whole life. She had treasured her father, of course, and her childhood best friend but Jongin was different. She really treasured him to the point that she wanted to be with him until the rest of her life. She was really afraid to lose the people whom she really loved, like what happened to her and Myungsoo years ago.

Curiosity filled Jongin’s face when Naeun just remained silent after what he said. He took his hands off her eyes to uncover them and immediately sat beside her, poking her nose repeatedly so that she could come back to her senses already, “Hey, earth calling Son Naeun.”

She jumped in place in shock as she got back down to earth. She looked at the person who poked her and beamed a smile of excitement. “Babe!” she threw her arms around his next and then pecked his cheek softly. “Babe, I really missed you even though we just saw last night”, chuckled softly after she said that, looking at his face in admiration.

 Jongin let out a chuckle after Naeun pecked his cheek. “Aigoo, why is my baby such a cutie huh?” he grinned as he pulled her closer to him until there was no space left between them. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders as she let go of his neck then rests his cheek against the top of her head, “I also missed you so much, my babe. I really loved being with you and not seeing you around makes me sad.” He then looked at her in shock, remembering what happened earlier, “By the way babe, it seemed like you were lost in space a while ago. Did some aliens get your mind eh?”

 Naeun laughed softly at what he said, reaching for his nose and gently pinches it because her boyfriend is being weird but in a cute way again. “Yah, my babe is being a weirdo again.” She grinned as she released his nose and traces his soft lips with her fingers with her eyes staring at his eyes before he could react to what she said, “But, don’t worry, I still love you anyway and I accept you for being weird, my babe.”

He looked at her with full of love as she said those sweet words to him. She never failed to make him feel like he was the luckiest man in the world for having her in his life. He reached for her chubby cheeks after and cupped them with his hands gently, slowly caressing them with his thumbs while looking into her beautiful set of browns eyes lovingly. “Son Naeun, what are you doing to my poor heart? I have a feeling like it might explode anytime soon because of this great love I feel for you. I always feel like I am in cloud 9 every time I am with you. You never failed to show your love for me, my Naeun, and I promise to you that I will show you my love till we get old.”

After saying those words to her, he let go of her cheeks and then reached for her hands so that he could lace their fingers together, squishing it gently before smiling happily. “I am so lucky to own your heart, babe, and I beat a lot of guys out there huh? I am so lucky, that is why I promise you that I would never hurt you and break your heart. I promise to be always here for you, my Naeun. I will take care of you. I will never disappoint you. If we would have another life, I will still love you and only you.”

 Her heart started to beat fast as she listened to the words he said as if it was his wedding vow for her, making her cheeks blush hardly because he was really being sweet right now. Aigoo, how did she get so lucky that she found him first than the other girls? He really could be considered as every woman’s dream guy. She smiled back really sweetly at him then reached for his cheek to cup it gently while he stared into his eyes gently. “Babe, I am the lucky one between us, okay? I could feel it. I know there were guys who wanted my sweet yes but I gave it to you because I know you deserve it and you were the one whom I really love, Jongin. Choosing you was the best decision I have ever made in my life and I will never regret it.”

He stared back as lovingly into her beautiful eyes while listening to the words she said. He really loved Son Naeun very much and he could not imagine himself being with another girl nor imagine her being with another guy. She was his princess, his angel, and his everything. He could not even stand a minute not seeing her or talking to her, how much more if weeks or months or years or, worse, decades. Ever since the two of them became best friends, he already had feelings towards her and that feeling grew deeper as they grow old together. He really loves Son Naeun the most and he promised to himself and to her that she would be the first and the last girl whom he will love like this and, someday, they would get married and have a family of their own.

They stared at each other’s eyes for few moments as if they were talking through their eyes, spilling and showing their love through their sweet gazes. Jongin then cupped Naeun’s chin and slowly closed his eyes as he leaned in to plant a soft and sweet kiss on Naeun’s lips as if they were the only people at the coffee shop.