She Is Worth The Wait

Your Guardian Angel

Where are you? I miss you.

 

Myungsoo parked his car at the parking lot of Seoul International Elite Academy, a school that caters the children that came from rich families like the one Myungsoo had. He turned the engine of his newly bought black Lamborghini car and immediately headed out with his backpack being slung on his shoulder. He looked around at the students, who were busy studying for their final examination for the school year, while putting his sunglasses off and hooked it on his white long-sleeved school uniform. He locked the doors of his car with just one click of the car’s remote before heading to a modern designed building like a supermodel walking in a fashion show. He tried not to look around and just focus on his path as he made his way to his room but failed to and glanced at the people he passed by while noticing a lot of girls – freshmen to seniors – looking at him and gushing over him as if he was some kind of celebrity. He had to admit that those girls were really cute and some of them were very hot but, even though how attractive those girls were, he did not want to show any hint of interest in them and just ignored them because there was only one girl who could only get his attention and his heart and she was his childhood best friend and love, Son Naeun.

It had been 10 years since the last time he saw her: the day she bid goodbye and leave the coasts of South Korea to stay in Los Angeles. As Myungsoo reached his teenage years, he had not tried dating yet, unlike the teenagers his age. He would always remind himself that Naeun would come back someday and the two of them would continue the love that was interrupted due to her migrating to United States. He really loved Naeun and would always love her so he would wait for her patiently and prove to her that true love is the type of love in which one is willing to wait just for the right one to come… and she is the right one. Once she would come back, he would make sure that he would confess to her right away.

While looking at those bunches of girls who were admiring him, he let out a slight smirk while thinking, Psh, when will they stop looking at me like that as if I would even notice them? Haha in their dreams! He chuckled to himself silently when he suddenly halted to a stop because a freshman girl blocked his way, making him feel annoyed. The girl was looking down at her feet, too afraid to look at his reaction, whether he was smiling or not or if he was pleased with what she did or not. He looked at the girl with a expressionless face, trying his best to hide his annoyance he felt towards the girl. Aish, get out of the way!, he wanted to scold at the girl but he was afraid to do it for the President of the school was his uncle and he might tell his parents – again – about his bad attitude at school and he would end up getting blamed for everything again. It took the girl few breathing to collect her courage to look up at his beyond perfect face, flashing a soft smile to Myungsoo while her cheeks were visibly turning red.

"Hello, Myungsoo oppa-nim.", the girl greeted him with a slight bow, feeling a bit shy at what she was doing right now. She looked at him again while secretly admiring his beautiful brown orbs that seemed to be melting her soft heart and, at the same time, wishing for him to ask her out on a date since she really got dolled up for him. She wanted him to notice her and she thinks that this time is the best time for her to be noticed.

Myungsoo stared at the girl with his infamous poker face while trying to fight back the feeling of annoyance that was ruling his emotions at that very moment. "What do you want?" he asked the girl in a flat tone as if he was not feeling the annoyance yet.

The girl, who was already very desperate to have a romantic dinner date with the school’s heartthrob, smiled confidently at him as if she was 101% sure that he will say yes to her offer to him. She looked at Myungsoo after taking a deep breath and asked him the question she was longing to ask for. "Oppa, can we go out on a date together? Just for this time, oppa. I just wanted to be with you and have a chance with you." she nodded slowly after her confession, studying Myungsoo's face for some reaction and suddenly feel a hint of embarrassment when she noticed the annoyance that he was trying to hide few moments ago was now visible in his face.

Myungsoo looked intensely at the girl’s eyes as he let out a smirk, stared at her eyes for a while as if he was thinking about what the girl asked her but deep inside, he was making fun of the girl’s deed. Go out with her? Is this girl really that desperate to go out on a date with me and be noticed? This girl is totally insane! I can’t believe that a girl like her exists. Myungsoo raised an eyebrow at the girl as he asked her again, a playful and teasing smile plastered on his lips. "Are you really asking me out on a date?"

The just nodded her head in embarrassment, now looking away as she heard some murmurs and soft giggles from the students who have witnessed the incident. She bet that these witnesses could also notice the disturbed expression on Myungsoo’s handsome face. She heaved in a deep breath while hoping that she should have not approached him in public. Now, how could she face these people if ever he would say no to her – in which is a possible case.

"Do you think I would go out with a girl like you? I don't even know you. And that thick make up on your face, I don’t like it", he let out a smirk after he said that to the girl who was now looking down at her shoes as if she was covering her face full of make up. "I like simple girls. I don't like girls that wear a lot of make-up and might be considered as a clown already." He secretly looked to the side and chuckled lightly when a bunch of eavesdropping girls were covering their faces that were full of make-up, being hit by the statement that he likes simple girls. "And, most of all, I don't like girls who are very desperate to ask a guy out. I like girls who can wait. Guys should be the one asking the girl out, not the girl. If the guy is interested at the girl, he will make a move. But if not, then the girl should wait for another guy. Do you understand?"

"But oppa…”, the girl looked at her with her pouty lips, still not giving up on asking him out.

"But what?" Myungsoo gave her a deadly glare. He knew that he should be a gentleman towards the girl because that was how a real man should do but he could not help it so instead, he decided to just leave so that he could not make more petty sins. "Please stop everything now. Okay?” he closed his eyes to calm himself as he let out a deep breath. “Now, please excuse me but I have a class to attend.”

The girl gave up and just moved to the side to let Myungsoo go to his room. As he passed by her, she looked down to her shoes with a wish that the ground would open up and swallow her alive instead for she was really embarrassed with what just happened while puffing out her cheeks, fighting back the tears that was forming on her eyes.

Myungsoo, feeling relieved, finally passed by the girl to head to his classroom. As he made his way, he put on his sunglasses again to keep his cool. Of course, he should be cool. He is the Campus Heartthrob so he should be cool. A lot of girls were admiring him, what would they say if he would lost his poise right? Not that he cared about what those girls think about him, he only cared what he would look like. He should look ready for some stolen shots. When he arrived at his room, he let out a sigh of relief when he saw no one. He checked his wrist watch and grinned because he still had almost half an hour to have the room all alone.

 "Finally, an alone time with me, myself and I." he smiled to himself while heading to his seat at the last row of the room, by the window. He chose that seat in the room so that whenever the subject and the teacher was boring, he could just stare outside the window and watch the other students of the school having chitchat with their group of friends or play basketball at the court. Or, if he would still be bored by watching them, he would look at the clouds and daydream about some things like being a CEO, an idol, or – much better – being with his childhood best friend, whom he also considered as his childhood love and first love.

While making his way to his seat, he noticed a pink folded paper being placed on the middle of his table. After placing his bag on the back of his chair and taking off his sunglasses, he took the paper and unfolded it to read its content. While unfolding it, he could smell the perfume being sprayed by the sender on it. Hmm, such a strong and sweet smell, but still… No. He thought to himself while shaking his head in disagreement to what these girls are doing for him.

Myungsoo oppa,

 

Hey, it’s me, one of your thousands of secret admirers! Oppa, I really do like you. When I started here as a freshman student, I fell in love with you at the first sight. You were at the cafeteria that time, chatting with your group of friends. I admit, they are cute too but, oppa, you were the one who caught my heart. Since that day oppa, I have been admiring you from afar. Oppa, please notice me. Please.

 

PS: I’ll be wearing a pink ribbon so that you will know that it’s me.

 

Hugs & Kisses,

Love at first sight girl

“Another desperate secret admirer eh?”, Myungsoo smirked as he crumpled the paper that one of his thousands of secret admirers left on his table. He threw the paper to the floor, not minding the mess he would leave in the room, and sat down on his chair. He pulled his earphones out and plugged them on his ears so that he could start jamming with the songs he loved to listen. To make him feel the song more, he rested his legs over his table and closed his eyes as he started to tap his fingers along with the beat of the music when suddenly, someone tapped him on the shoulder.

"What do you want?!” In annoyance, he quickly took off his earphones to see who disturbed him in his alone moment when he suddenly blinked his eyes and gulped in a little bit of nervousness when he saw his hyungs Hoya and Dongwoo looking at him with curious eyes. He immediately stood up and bowed down apologetically at them because he didn’t showed respect to his older brothers. "Hyungs, I’m so sorry! I thought it was one of those annoying girls again.” He smiled a bit at them as he started to feel angered again when he mentioned the annoying girls. He let out a sigh to calm himself for seemed like nth time and sat down on his chair.

Hoya and Dongwoo were one of the few trusted friends that Myungsoo had. He met them when Myungsoo was still a freshman at the school. He was sitting on the bench under one of the trees of the school, silently observing the older students, when a group of sophomores, juniors, and a fellow freshman approached him. The group of boys was looking for a 7th member for their dance group. Since Myungsoo also love to dance and wanted to try how to dance in group, he gladly accepted the offer and named the group Infinite and – since then – they started treating each other more as brothers than friends.

After Myungsoo apologized to them, Hoya and Dongwoo just let out a soft chuckle because they knew that Myungsoo was just having another bad day. With a smile, Hoya reached out for his dongsaeng’s head to pat it gently, as if trying to comfort him. "Nah, don’t worry about it, Myung. We are already used to your mood swings because of those admirers of yours." He laughed softly as he pulled out a chair in front of Myungsoo and faced him, looking at his dongsaeng with a grin. “Myung, don’t tell me you are annoyed again because of them? I thought you are already used to their annoyingness huh?” He let out a soft laugh again while looking at his dongsaeng’s annoyed face.

Myungsoo knew that his hyung was just playing around with him, teasing him, so he didn’t let his mood destroy his hyung’s light mood. “Hyung, facing annoying girls with higher level of desperation every day can trigger one’s high blood okay?” He laughed softly and then er punched his hyung’s arm lightly when Hoya just laughed more at him, seemed to be agreeing with what he said.

Dongwoo was listening to Hoya and Myungsoo’s conversation when he saw the pink crumpled paper on the floor. He secretly picked it up so that Myungsoo wouldn’t notice and read it. He chuckled softly while reading the letter for Myungsoo before turning around and showing it to him, “Hey Myungsoo, what is this? Another cheesy letter huh?”

 Myungsoo’s eyes popped wide in shock when he saw the letter on Dongwoo’s hand. “Yah, hyung, don’t read that!” He stood up and was about to take the letter from him when the next thing he knew, the letter was already on Hoya’s hands. Myungsoo looked at the letter in defeat and just looked at Hoya as he read the letter. Hoya chuckled and shook his head, crumpled the paper again and threw it out of the window this time, doing the job for his dongsaeng.

Dongwoo shook his head this time, feeling a bit of pity towards the sender of the paper but feeling more pity towards his dongsaeng, who seemed to be really uninterested with love. “Tsk, tsk, poor cheesy letter sender, being totally ignored by the Prince Charming because the Prince is still waiting for his runaway Miss United States.”

Myungsoo smirked as he looked outside the window, keeping his cool despite the fact that the loneliness he was feeling for these past few years was creeping in again, thanks to the words Dongwoo said to him. “Oh well hyung, let the poor cheesy letter sender feel bad once she saw the letter being crumpled on the ground. I do not care anyway.” He smiled a bit. He bit on his bottom lip while scanning the blue cloudy sky with his eyes, trying to distract himself from the loneliness he feels at this very moment.

Hoya and Dongwoo looked at their dongsaeng with worried eyes before looking each other as if talking through their eyes. They wanted Myungsoo to be happy and they know that only Naeun can make Myungsoo happy but there is nothing wrong on trying right? They have been friends for years now but they have never seen Myungsoo being happy at all. He tended to avoid girls because he didn’t want to date. The only girl he wanted was Naeun and they knew how much Myungsoo loved Naeun… And they also knew that only her can own his very loyal heart.

 After seconds of mentally speaking to each other, Dongwoo let out a slight nod as if encouraging Hoya to cheer up. After Hoya got the message Dongwoo was trying to say to him, he patted Myungsoo’s arm lightly before flashing him a cheerful smile, hoping that it can help him to cheer up. "Myung, Sunggyu hyung wanted to go to the club tonight. You know, hot and y girls are there; Girls who could make your body hot all night.” Hoya grinned excitedly at Myungsoo, encouraging him to join them tonight.

Dongwoo grinned excitedly in agreement at what Hoya offered to Myungsoo then joined him with the plan. He skipped closer to Myung to wrap his arm on his shoulder and shook him so that he can take his attention, “Yes, Hoya is right Myung! And, who knows, maybe one of them would be your first girlfriend? Omo, you will be very lucky Myung! I never got a girl from the club. I guess I am not good at flirting. Any guy who would have them would be very lucky!”

“Dongwoo is right! Maybe you could find the right one there, Myung.” Hoya chimed in then grinned at Dongwoo in excitement, “Bro, those y girls! Ugh, I want to have one of them!” He grinned and exchanged a high five with Dongwoo.

Myungsoo sighed as he shook his head. He knew what his hyungs were doing and that was they wanted him to find a girl and date but how can he date when his heart is with her? He looked at his hyungs being thrilled with excitement at their plans for tonight. He was already used to his hyungs being like that. Oh well, their group wouldn’t be known as playboys and party boys if it’s not because of his brothers. As a matter of fact, Myungsoo was the black sheep of their brotherhood and no matter how hard his brothers tried; he still wouldn’t come with them and date with tons of girls and yeah, you know make up and such, if you know what I mean. He shook his head again and talked in a low voice, “Hyungs, go to the club without me then. I do not need that.”

Hoya and Dongwoo stopped talking and sighed, giving up on forcing their dongsaeng to come with them and date around. There was an awkward silence for how many minutes while the two hyungs were looking at their dongsaeng with worry. After few moments, Hoya broke the silence and talked in a low, serious voice,, “Myung?”

Myungsoo looked at his hyung with an expressionless face because… not this talk again. “Yes? What is it hyung?”

"Are you sure that Naeun is coming back? It has been years since the last time you saw her, Myung, and there is a great chance that she has already forgotten about you? You two were still young that time. Maybe she will not come back at all.” Before Myung could react, Hoya spoke up again, “Hey, hey man, I am not saying to give up already okay? There is nothing wrong to wait but please, can you get some life while waiting for her? If you do that, maybe you can find someone so much better than you who will give you happiness that she lacks. Myung, there are a lot of fishes in the ocean and since she is also a teenager like you, she might be seeing other guys right now. Remember, she is in United States right now. There are a lot of American guys out there who might be interested in her. You know what I mean, man? Be open with the possibilities, Myung. Don’t close your heart please. It is still too early for you to close your heart for other girls. And I’m afraid you might just get disappointed in the end.”

Myungsoo just remained silence while listening to the wise words of his hyung. He was right. What if she won’t come back? What if he would just be disappointed in the end? But he trusted Naeun so much that he knew she would come back someday. She would come back to Seoul and he would court her and marry her. He knew that. He was hanging onto her promise but, still, Hoya was right. Myungsoo just let out a sigh and shook his head, it was really hard to accept the fact that he might end up being disappointed in the end, “Hyung, she promised. She might not be around right now but maybe, just maybe, tomorrow or in a week or two. Who knows hyung? As long as I am breathing, I know she will come back.”

Hoya and Dongwoo looked at each other. They knew they couldn’t change Myungsoo’s stubborn mind and it’ll be useless to force him further more. Dongwoo then smiled as he pat his dongsaeng’s head gently and in a hyung way, "You really love her huh?”

"Yes hyung, I really do.” Myungsoo smiled a bit when he confessed that to his hyungs. He knew that they would not understand him and why he was being a martyr but that what love is all about right? You’re willing to do everything for the one you love even though it is risky. Or was that only his mindset? Oh well. “She is irreplaceable, hyung, and priceless. She was the only one who could make me love like this and also smile like it was my very first time to smile.” He chuckled a bit, remembering some funny moments he shared with her and then sighed for the pain was still there and it seemed like it was permanently stuck there, “Excuse me, hyung, I want to go somewhere.” He immediately stood up and carried his bag, “I won’t attend the first class. Bye hyungs.”

As soon as he bid goodbye to his hyungs, he quickly head out of the room to skip to the quietest and peaceful place in the school and that was the rooftop garden. As he walked towards the garden, he avoided the gazes of the people because he was not in the mood to show them his coolness. Who cares if he will not be cool anymore? That’ll be better anyway. As soon as he arrived there, he locked the door to the rooftop garden so that no one can disturb him and immediately plops himself down on the manmade grass, leaning his back against the leg of the bench as he looked at the sky and let out the pain he had been hiding deep inside his heart, letting the tears flow that he was trying to keep for years already.

"Son Naeun, where are you? I missed you already! You promised me right that you will be back someday? But what year is it already?! Yah, are you still keeping it! Son Naeun, I am holding on to your promise but where are you? Don’t break that promise or else, my heart won’t take the pain!”

He cried more in pain. He wiped of his tears and stared more at the blue sky as if Naeun can hear him. He sniffed and talked in a low, weak voice, “Please, wait for me. Don’t look for another guy please. I love you.”

With tears continuing to betray him, he let them flow as he closed his eyes and reminisce the happiest days of his life with his best friend, his childhood love, his first love, and his angel – Son Naeun.