Chapter 6

Chasing Happiness

 

Ya Tou and Aaron are doing the dishes. She looks at Aaron lightly and sighs, "Ge... I was wrong the whole time."

He was rinsing the plates, "wrong about what?"

"You're much more different than I imagined... this whole time... you were unfaithful towards Hebe."

He looks at her, "what?"

"So you admit it!"

He shook his head, "are you stupid? Why would I cheat on Hebe?"

"Then why did you tell Ah Ben to tell her you have things going on tonight? Besides mom, dad, Ah Ben, Xiao Yu, Xiao Man, Hebe, and me who else do you have?" Ya Tou leaned in to look at him suspiciously, "ge... are you hiding things from us?"

He looks at her and flicks her on the forehead.

She yells in pain and glares at him, "why'd you hit me?"

"Because you're being stupid, going to conclusions without knowing the truth." He looks at her, "as punishment you can finish doing the dishes."

"Ey, I just want to know."

He sighs, "aiya, you high schoolers really don't have lives yet."

She pouts, "fine, I'll just call Hebe and tell her--"

"Ey ey ey," he says grabbing the phone away, "fine I'll tell you."

Ya Tou smiles happily and awaits for him to explain.

Aaron sighs, "you know how I have another step sister."

Ya Tou nods, "what about her?"

Aaron takes in a small breath, "she's back."

"Back? As in, in town?"

He nods, "I saw her at Xiao Yu and Xiao Man's wedding, she just said she was coming back tonight." He continues on with the dishes.

Ya Tou smiles brightly, "really? Then, I'll finally get to meet the heroine!"

"Heroine?" Aaron questions, "why do you say that?"

"It's nothing, she's just the most important girl in Ge Ge's heart am I right?"

Aaron looks around and hushes her down, "what are you saying?"

Ya Tou just smiles, "Ge, she's your first sister, she should be important right?" she continues on with the dishes.

Aaron looks at Ya Tou relieved, for a moment, he thought Ya Tou had found out the secret he's been hiding.

****************************************

Ya Tou heads out the front door, with the trash in her hands, "stupid Aaron, uses the dishes against me to take out the trash..." she opens the gate and throws it into the trash bin, she turns around and freaks out.

Gui quickly stood up and apologizes, "sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Ya Tou looks at her and shook her head, "it's ok... but... what are you doing outside my house?"

"Uh..."

"Oh, are you Aaron's other step-sister?" She jumps to conclusion, "I'm also his step-sister! I'm Ya Tou!"

Gui forces a small smile.

"Why are you outside, come in!" She pushes Gui into the house.

******************************************

Their mom serves tea as everyone sat in the living room.

"Thanks," Gui says lightly.

Her dad smiles, "when did you get into town?"

She faintly smiles, "last night."

"Where are you staying?"

"Hotel."

"Hotel? Why didn't you contact me, I would've prepared a room for you."

Gui shook her head, "it's ok dad--" she stops, "no... I shouldn't call you dad anymore--"

"Why not?" He questions, "we're still like family."

Gui just lightly looks down.

Aaron, felt uncomfortable with that word... especially towards Gui.

"Why don't you stay the night with us," her dad suggested, "it's been eight years, we should catch up on things."

Gui shook her head, "it's ok. Besides, I'm only staying until the weekend."

Aaron looks at her quickly, surprised she was staying for such a short while.

Her dad just sighs, "well, stay with us till then. Even though I have other children now... you're still like my daughter."

Gui felt nervous, she realizes she wasn't familiar with things around here no more.

"Please stay," Aaron's step-mom said, "now that I'm married to you're step-father, it's like I'm your stepmom too. I would love to get to know you."

Gui looked at her lightly, she was so kind, she never had a mom in over eight years, this feeling was weird to her.

Ya Tou agreed, "please stay. You can share the room with me. Aaron told me it's your old room. I kept things the same and I still use the same night lamp you used, it'll be like it's still your room."

Gui just faintly smiles and looks up at her dad once more. She then agrees, "ok... but only for the time being."

Ya Tou opens up the bedroom door, "tada!"

Gui looks around, everything was still the same. She walked around the room, nothing has moved, not even the pictures have changed.

Ya Tou smiles as she sees Gui pick them up and looked at them. "These memories are special to you and it made me happy when I look at them, I couldn't change the pictures so I kept them."

Gui looked at her and sets them down, "you didn't have to."

"But I must, Ge would punish me with washing the dishes all week if I did."

Gui just laughs at her and continues to look around, she then slowly touched the bed and smiles, "you didn't even change the mattress?"

Ya Tou shook her head, "I felt really comfortable when I laid on it. Sometimes Ge would tell me to sleep in his room, and he'd sleep in here for the night."

Gui slowly stopped touching the bed, remembering of when they'd have sleepovers in the middle of the night. She then felt uneasy and rushes out of the room, only to be stopped by Aaron. They looked at each other, once again she felt uneasy.

Aaron looked at Gui and sighs, "I have something to show you..."

Gui looked at him and turns away, "I--I have to go to the bathroom," she pushes him out of the way and rushes into the bathroom. She turns the water on all the way and cries.

Aaron is outside of the bathroom, leaning against the door, and hears her sobbing behind it. He takes in a deep breath and says to her light enough so only she could hear it, "Gui... I--" he pauses, "I missed you."

Hearing his words only made her cry more.

=====================================