Just For One Day

Just for one day

Kim Ryeowook looked at his calendar still laying in bed, it was marked December 4, in just seven days his best friend, Cho Kyuhyun would be getting married to the daughter of his family’s partnering company, Seohyun. She was a sweet girl and pretty as well. The day he planned on confessing to Kyuhyun was the day he found out that the man he wanted to confess to were to be married.

“You know, this may be your last chance to tell him, or you may regret it.” Leeteuk, Ryeowook’s best friend sat on the edge of his bed combing his fingers in the smaller boy’s dark hair.

The other let out a sigh and sat up straight, his gaze on the floor, “I know, I just don’t know what to say…” Leeteuk placed a comforting arm around his shoulder and pulled him close, “You’ll never know until you try, he deserves to know and the sooner the better.”

The latter nodded and slid out of bed, “I’ll tell him soon…” Leeteuk smiled while he stood up and patted the smaller boy’s head, “You’ll be fine, anyways I’m off to work, see you later tonight.”

Ryeowook once again looked at the calendar, ‘Seven days, I bet you’re pretty busy with planning your wedding and all, scheduling your honey moon and everything.’ he thought to himself before closing the door behind him, “The sooner the better, right?”

He pulled out his phone and dialed the number he knew well.

~Ring Ring~

“Hello?” hearing the others voice made Ryeowook’s heart jump, he cleared his throat as quietly as he could.

“Kyuhyun? H-hi! It’s Ryeowook, its been awhile,” he stuttered nervously.

“Ah, Ryeowook! How have you been?” the other on the other side stated happily. Ryeowook could feel his throat tightening up, and his hands getting sweaty, but this was no time to chicken out, he had to gather up courage, “D-do you want to maybe hang out some time? There’s something I need to tell you.”

Kyuhyun on the other line was silent for a bit, trying his best to figure out his best friend needed to tell him that he didn't already know. “Sure, how about Tues, on the 7th? I’m stuck with some work at the office, but I’ll be free Tuesday if you want to grab lunch or something.”

Again Ryeowook’s heart jumped. “Y-yea sounds great! See you Tuesday! Sorry to be a bother.”

Kyuhyun’s soft chuckle echoed through the phone, “Alright, and it’s no bother to me, but I'll see you Tuesday!” that being said the other closed his phone and stared out the window, ‘Ryeowook…’ he thought watching the snow set itself like a thin blanket outside.

Ryeowook placed his phone back in his pocket with a small smile on his face, ‘Tuesday… that’s when I’ll tell him everything…’ he though to himself making his way to the kitchen.

Sunday and Monday passed by like it were nothing. Ryeowook barely slept the night before, he was to nervous to sleep, to afraid just thinking about Kyuhyun, ‘Today is the day,’ he sighed, he was surprised to see Leeteuk leaning against the door frame, “Are you ok? You’ve been acting weird lately, I thought I’d check on you.”

Ryeowook gave the other a sweet smile before telling him what he was doing today. “I’m meeting with Kyuhyun for lunch, and I’m a bit nervous, the question I want to ask him, I’m afraid that he’ll…”

Leeteuk shortened their distance and pulled the other in a tight hug, “you worry to much, just tell him the important things first before you pour your heart out to him,” he received a small nod and ended up pecking the other in his soft hair, “You’ll be fine, I know you will, and if you need anything I’m always here for you.”

Ryeowook took a quick shower, and got dressed in his finest casual clothes. “Ok, I’m ready.” The two agreed to meet at the small café on the corned of town. Ryeowook made it there ten minutes early. He began to look for Kyuhyun frantically. ‘Tell him the important things first’ he recalled Leeteuk telling him, ‘important things first,’ but thinking about what he had to tell the other rather than what he wanted to tell the other caused him to tear up.

“I get here and find you crying, that’s not the proper way to greet someone! You haven’t changed a bit have you, Ryeowook?” a sweet yet deep voice spoke, tearing him away from his inner thoughts.

“Yah! Kyuhyun, you scared me!” he piped up in his high voice, causing the other to softly chuckle. “Anyways, how are you Ryeowook? It’s been a while since we’ve been able to get together.”

Ryeowook kept his gaze down, to embarrassed about crying when he hasn’t even started a decent conversation with the other. “I’m fine, how about you and Seohyun?” he hated saying her name, it kept tearing at his heart. Just saying or even hearing her name is enough to break him down, but he’d never let the other know that.

“She’s fine, just a little stressed.” he stated, “thanks for asking, anyways what is it you wanted to tell me? Is everything alright?”

‘Important things first’

“Kyuhyun, I-I don’t know how to tell you this, but… I…” he began to speak more softly that Kyuhyun could barely hear it. “What is it Ryeowook? You know you can tell me anything.”

“I’m leaving in four days Kyuhyun, I’m going far away, but I won’t tell you where so that way you won’t go looking for me. But  I wanted to know that… uhm… if we were to meet before my days are up, can we meet not as friends, but… more than friends.” he spoke softly, barely audible. Kyuhyun stared at Ryeowook with slight confusion in his eyes, “I don’t understand, you know I’m getting married in four days and you‘re planning on leaving, you‘re not going to attend?” he felt his heart aching.

The other nodded slightly, “I know, I would love too, but you see, I’ve had a crush on you since the day we met, and that crush turned into an undying love for you, so when I found out that you‘re getting married, it really torn me apart, but I kind of knew that you would never look at me the way you look at Seohyun, so I thought that maybe, just for one day, you’d be my boyfriend.”

Kyuhyun was still at a lost for words, “So, you want me to go out with you for just a day? Why?” Kyuhyun wasn’t one to really question others, but Ryeowook, his best friend for years, kept this secret from him, so he figured he had every right to question him. “I-I figured that once you and Seohyun are married, you won’t have time for yourself to be with your friends, so I thought that it would be best to leave, that way it’ll be easier to forget my feelings for you, and if you date me for one day, I won’t regret leaving, and I won’t hate myself for not telling you sooner.”

He was still confused on what Ryeowook wanted, “So if I date you for one day, then you’ll be able to forget your feelings for me, I don’t understand how that works, you’ll only be hurting yourself wouldn’t you?” he lifted hit others chin so that he’d face him. But even if the other was facing Kyuhyun he shifted his eyes away, “I’ll feel better knowing that at least you’d let me, even if it’s just pretend. So please, will you go out with me?” he asked again.

Kyuhyun didn’t think it was right, but he felt guilty knowing that Ryeowook was hurting all this time because of his marriage to Seohyun, he thought long before giving the other an answer. “Okay, I’ll do it, you said just for a day right?” he let out a soft sigh before continuing, “Seohyun will be out of town tomorrow for her wedding dress fitting, so how about we go out tomorrow?”

Ryeowook’s eyes widen and tears began to form on the edges, “Y-you really mean it?” the other just nodded giving the other a small smile and in turn the other smiled back. The two left the café and Kyuhyun drove Ryeowook home, “I’ll be by around 10am to pick you up, so be ready ok?” The latter stepped out of the car and smile brightly before nodding and quickly headed up the stairs towards his apartment, once Ryeowook was inside Kyuhyun drove away.

When Kyuhyun arrived at home he went straight to his room and opened the top drawer, underneath some clothes he pulled out a small box, inside was a picture, a very special picture he considered it to be, reason being that it was the only picture he had of him and Ryeowook together.

He let out a groan, balling up his hand into a fist and hitting the nearest wall to him, ‘Why didn’t you tell me sooner…’ he closed the box and hid it back in it’s place. ‘Why now of all times…’

Seohyun came in a few minutes later to find Kyuhyun hunched over on his bed head buried in his hands, “Kyuhyun, are you ok?” she rubbed his shoulders trying to relieve some stress. He lifted his head slightly and gave her a reassuring smile, “I’m fine just stressing out, anyways are you sure you don’t want Minho or Sungmin to meet you at the airport tomorrow?”

Seohyun lightly hit his shoulder. “Don’t worry about me, I already have Yonghwa meeting me there, you remember him right?” Kyuhyun lifted himself up sitting upright, “Yea, you’re childhood friend, right? You said he was attending as well?” she smiled and nodded, “Mmhmm, anyways I should start packing now,” she leaned over a pecked Kyuhyun on his cheek, “Stop stressing out ok? Everything will be fine.”

~~~~
The next day Ryeowook was out of bed before the sun even rose, rather than 9am like he normally did, “Kyuhyun said he’d be here at 10am, so I should at least get my chores done before Leeteuk wakes up.” he told himself as he made breakfast and prepared an easy meal for the other to warm up when lunch time came around. Being as busy as he was Ryeowook nearly lost track of time.

Kyuhyun parked his car outside of the apartment complex, he looked at his watch and let out a sigh. “Just for one day, and I plan on making this one of Ryeowook’s best days.” he whispered looking at the picture he hid in his drawer that was now safely place in his wallet in one of the secret folds.

From the corner of his eye he saw Ryeowook make his way down the stairs. “Good morning Kyuhyun,” he greeted sliding into the passenger seat. “Morning. I planned a few places to go, then you get to decide where we can have lunch, ok?” Ryeowook nodded, and they drove off. Inside Ryeowook’s heart he felt a slight guilt for asking Kyuhyun to do this, but he also thought of it as reassurance that he’ll be ok once Kyuhyun was married.

~~~~
The first stop caught Ryeowook by surprise, they were a orchestra concert, “Kyuhyun, how did you manage to get tickets to this show? They were completely sold out! You shouldn’t take me here, this is something that you and…” before he could finish what he wanted to say Kyuhyun pressed a finger against his soft lips, “First of all, classic isn’t her favorite type of music so its ok, second, I’m calling the shots, and third, don’t feel guilty about anything today, ok?”

Finger still pressed against his lips he nodded before he brushed it away. “Ok, you win, let’s find our seats.” Once the concert started Ryeowook was absorbed by the beauty of the classical music, Kyuhyun on the other hand shifted his gaze back and forth between Ryeowook and the stage.

The show came to and end, everyone was clapping and standing up cheering. Ryeowook was one of them too, he had a smile on his face as he clapped when the conductor took his final bow. Kyuhyun just stared at the smile across the others face, it was then that he felt a slight sting in his chest, but he simply brushed it off, trying not to think about it, “Ah Kyuhyun! That was amazing, thank you for taking me!” he hugged him tight.

“Well, lets not waste time,” Kyuhyun laced their fingers together as they walked towards his car, Ryeowook blushed at the others action, but smiled a small smile when he thought the other wasn’t looking.

The next stop was the cinema, they looked at the selections displayed on the wall, “Well, the next movie that will start in the next few minutes are this one and that one.” Ryeowook looked at both movies, which both happened to be horror movies. Ryeowook swallowed hard and just chose the one that had the least frightening poster, but he was so wrong. During the whole movie Ryeowook would cling onto Kyuhyun’s arm and cover his face trying to muffle his high pitched screaming.

On the screen a scary scene was taking place, Ryeowook clung tightly to Kyuhyun, which he found kind of painful, but he didn’t say anything. Just when Ryeowook’s grip was beginning to relax, something in the movie caught the other by surprise and made him jump into Kyuhyun’s lap, burying his face into the others neck.

At first he laughed quietly, and then Kyuhyun felt the warm breath of Ryeowook as the smaller man shook in fear, which caused him to blush deeply, but he knew this was a perfect opportunity for himself. Kyuhyun made his body tense when another scary scene appeared, pretending to be scared, he hid his face in the soft brown hair, softly placing a kiss on the other, hoping that he wouldn’t notice.

With his face hidden, the other was blushing like crazy, he felt the movement of Kyuhyun’s lips against his hair, at first he thought that Kyuhyun was just trying to gain comfort, but again he was wrong.

They left the cinema and Ryeowook was a shaking like crazy out of fear, clinging onto Kyuhyun still.

“Let's eat, where would you like to go?” Ryeowook looked at the restaurants on each corner of the streets, still trying to find a decent place for his date. After a few more minutes of driving, they came to a small food specialty restaurant, where they server from Korea’s best cuisines to the best from Italy.

Once they finished their meal Kyuhyun announced the final place they would be going would be a amusement park, “This is our last stop, let’s go?” he held out his hand for Ryeowook to grab onto, though it was winter the park still ran.

“Let’s not ride anything just yet, we just finished eating Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook pouted a little when he noticed that Kyuhyun was eyeing some of the fast paced rides. “Don’t worry we won’t, I'm not that mean!”

Ryeowook let out a small chuckle before he linked arms with Kyuhyun. His eyes wondered all the games eyeing all the prizes, but what caught his eye were a set of stuffed bears holding a heart. “Do you want it?” he heard Kyuhyun ask him catching him off guard.

“It’s alright Kyuhyun, don’t waist your money on me or anything, you know how impossible it is to win amusement park games,” he tried convincing the other but failed to get his point across, “I’m your ‘boyfriend’ for today, so it’s what I’m suppose to do.“ Hearing Kyuhyun say such things made Ryeowook’s as well as Kyuhyun’s heart clench in pain. After a good $15 Kyuhyun was able to win the prize Ryeowook was eyeing.

“Here,” with a cheeky grin he handed it towards Ryeowook, who smiled sweetly at Kyuhyun mouthing a silent ‘thank you.’ They played more games, rode some rides together, surprisingly not puking their guts out, and even took pictures at one of those picture kiosks. “This is your copy,” Ryeowook handed the set of pictures to Kyuhyun. “Thanks.”

~Few Hours later~

“One more ride, then I think I better take you home, it's getting dark.” Kyuhyun grabbed Ryeowook’s hand like it was just the most natural feeling in the world. “Ferris wheel.” Kyuhyun looked at Ryeowook, “You sure? If there’s something better you want to ride we can,” he offered, but Ryeowook just shook his head, “The Ferris wheel is fine, c’mon” He pulled the other towards one of the empty carriages.

The ride started and two sat in silence, they knew that after this, it would be time to go back to their normal lives, Kyuhyun was to be married and Ryeowook was to leave. Kyuhyun brushed his thumb over Ryeowook’s hand he was holding onto.

“You want to know something?” Ryeowook broke the silence, Kyuhyun just reamained silent letting the other continue, “it has always been a dream of mine to shared my first kiss here with you once we reached the top. It’s silly right?”

Kyuhyun glanced out the window and noticed that they were getting higher, in just a few more second they would reach the top. He gently pulled Ryeowook closer and pressed his lips against the other. At first Ryeowook was shocked but slowly gave in. When they pulled away a tear escaped his eyes that he kept closed. He could hear Kyuhyun’s soft chuckle and feel him brush away whatever tears were on his cheek.

“Don’t cry Ryeowook,” he whispered only causing the other to cry more. Kyuhyun shook his head and gave him a small smile. Reaching over he wrapped an arm around Ryeowook, pulling him into a comforting embrace.

They exited the amusement park hand in hand, even on the drive home they kept their hands interlaced together. “What time will you be leaving on Saturday?” Kyuhyun asked the other on the silent drive. “Sometime before noon,” Ryeowook softly replied. Kyuhyun didn’t say anything back, he just tightened his grip even more.

In a few moments they were in front of Ryeowook’s apartment. “Thank you for doing this Kyuhyun, I know that it was selfish of me to ask-” before he could finish, Kyuhyun cupped both of the other’s rosy cheeks and leaned forward placing another soft kiss against the other’s soft lips. “You’re not being selfish, I’m glad that I could do this for you." He whispered back. They sat in a brief silence, “I-I better get inside now, again thank you Kyuhyun. I had a great time.”

Like before he waited until Ryeowook was safely inside before driving away. Ryeowook closed the door and locked it before falling to his knees, crying his eyes out, hearing the cries of his best friend ,Leeteuk rushed to his side and pulled him into a tight embrace. “Shh… you’ll be ok.” he whispered over and over again, “You’ll be ok… everything will be ok.”

After that day neither Ryeowook or Kyuhyun contacted each other, as much as they wanted to, Kyuhyun was busy with last minute arrangements and Ryeowook refused to contact him, saying that it would only be a lot more difficult if he did talk to the other. And just like that, the wedding day arrived.

The wedding was taking place at a huge church in the middle of the city. Kyuhyun was in his dressing room fixing himself up, he opened his wallet and pulled out the picture, taking one last glance at it, he sighed heavily, before pushing it back in it’s place.

From outside he heard a knock, “Come in…” the door swung open and then was gently shut, “Kyuhyun, you look great.” When he turned around, he was staring into the face of Seohyun’s childhood friend Yonghwa, “Oh, hello Yonghwa, what brings you here?”

Yonghwa pulled up a chair and sat, “I just wanted to tell you that I want you to take care of Seohyun, she’s my best friend, and I love her very much. You don’t know how much I would love to be in your place right now Kyuhyun, but then again, I'm not the son of a great business man.” he turned around and faced the other, “Yonghwa… I'm sorry...”

“I regret not telling her sooner, if I did then maybe I’d be there instead of you, and then maybe you’d be with someone you really loved.” Yonghwa stood from his chair, “You should get out there soon,“ he patted Kyuhyun on the shoulder before walking out.

In another hour the wedding started, Kyuhyun stood at the alter his head hanging low as he awaited for the other to present herself. The crowd all gasped when she rounded the corner with her father. She smiled at Kyuhyun when they were finally next to one another, with that the priest began,.

“We are gathered here today on the 11th day of December in the joining  of Cho Kyuhyun and  Seo Joo-Hyun, in holy matrimony.” The priest continued and all Kyuhyun could think of was Ryeowook, his smile, his laugh, the sweet sound of his voice. He knew two simple words he will lose him forever. ‘I regret not telling her sooner, if I did then maybe I’d be there instead of you, and then you’d be with someone you really loved.’ Yonghwa’s words echoed in his head, ‘Someone I really love…’

“Do you, Cho Kyuhyun take Seo Joo-Hyun, to be your lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in heath, til death do you part?” the priest asked. There was a brief awkward silence before Kyuhyun answered, “No…” the whole crowd gasped, as soft murmurs could be heard. Kyuhyun turned to Seohyun, “I truly am sorry, Seohyun, but there’s someone else who needs me, and someone more fitting to be with you. I don’t regret spending time with you, but I know for sure that you’d be much happier with someone you truly loved.” he took Seohyun’s hand and pulled her from the alter.

He grabbed Yonghwa’s hand placed their hands together, “Yonghwa’s your childhood friend, he knows you better than I do, has more feelings for you, his love is far more true than what we shared this past year. I am sorry Seohyun, I hope you’ll find it in your heart to one day forgive me.”

Kyuhyun expected a slap from her, but instead he was hugged and given a small thank you, “You don’t know how happy you’ve made me, I don’t regret our time together, but thank you for seeing the truth Kyuhyun.” she pecked him on the cheek before taking Yonghwa’s hand, “You should go before you miss him,”

Kyuhyun looked at her in surprise, and she just smiled in return, “I knew that you always had someone else in your heart before myself, now go before it's to late.” He kissed Seohyun on the cheek whispering thank you to both Seohyun and Yonghwa, before running out of the church heading towards Ryeowook’s apartment.

After a good fifteen minute of running he reached it, up the stairs he ran and was in front of the others door within seconds. Catching his breath he knocked. Hoping that Ryeowook was still there.

Ryeowook was pulling his luggage out of his room when he heard the knock, “I wonder who’s here, maybe Teukie forgot something again,” he let out a small puff of air as he opened the door. Right when he pulled the door open he was pulled into Kyuhyun’s embrace, “Please don’t leave, don’t go anymore…”

Ryeowook just stared at Kyuhyun once he released him, “Kyuhyun? What’s going on? Why are you here?” he asked, on the brink of tears. Instead of giving the other an answer, he pulled him into a tight embrace and pressed their lips together, “I’m not going to let you leave. I won‘t let you go.”

Ryeowook’s eyes widen and tears started to fall, “But what about Seohyun, you’re supposed to be getting married, you’re suppose to be with her right now.” Kyuhyun just tightened his embrace, “No, she’s with the person she truly loves, just like how I’m with the one I truly love.” Ryeowook was speechless that all he could manage to do was bury his face into Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

“I love you Ryeowook.” he lifted his gaze and pressed another small kiss on the others lips,

“I love you too Kyuhyun.”