Can life get any better?

This, Honey, Is Reality

My life is like a fairytale. Literally.

 

Heyya! My name is Shanna Adrianna Lee. I prefer you calling me Lee, don’t ask me why though. I just like it. I’m eighteen years old and right now, life is perfect. I’ve just landed in Seoul, South Korea. I’ve been accepted into Seoul National University where I’ll be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in English Literature. This is like a dream come true. Well almost. Right now, I’m standing like a dork near the exit of the airport trying to figure out where exactly the cab stand is. Ah! There it is!

“Excuse me?” I ask and an old man turns.”Ne?”

“Is this where I can get a taxi?” I ask and he nods. “Where to?”

I give him the address and a few minutes later I’m on my way to my friend’s apartment. My friend Steph was supposed to meet me but apparently she had some work. So here I am, a small tiny mouse lost in the city of Seoul. Well not lost exactly because I am, after all on my way to my friend’s apartment. Steph is like me – eighteen and from the Philippines. She’s pursuing Marine Biology at SNU. Cool right?

The taxi stops in front of a huge, huge, huge really huge building. No, we don’t have sky scrapers in India. (My dad works in India, so I’ve stayed in India my whole life.)  I just stare at the building when the driver coughs. “Oh sorry! I exclaim and get down. Grabbing my bags which were light as feathers not,  I look at the pile helplessly and then at the driver. Sighing with frustration he grabs the heaviest two while I take the rest and go in. The receptionist stops us and I smile. “Hey, I’m Shanna, Steph’s roommate.” The receptionist nods.  “Pleased to meet you Miss Shanna. I’m SunHee.”

“Nice to meet you SunHee and please call me Lee.” I smile and she laughs before nodding. “Go right up. Steph just reached a few minutes ago. Twenty ninth floor, two nine zero three.”

“Thanks SunHee.” I smile and we head up to the twenty ninth floor in the ultra cool elevator. The elevator, to my delight, was playing Super Junior’s Bonamana, my favorite song. At the twenty ninth floor, the door slides open and we go towards the door marked 2903. There were only three doors on this floor. “Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”  A voice squeals and a flying object, er person, tackles me to the ground. “Oof Steph!” I exclaim and she pulls me up before hugging me. “Oh gosh! I can’t believe it! You’re here! Finally!”

“I know right!” I squeal and he driver coughs. Gee, he sure c-oughs a lot. “Sorry! You can leave them here.” I take out my wallet and pay the guy. “I have food for you.” Steph tells me and I look at her in horror. Steph is not exactly Martha Stewart when it comes to cooking. Looking at my dismayed expression she laughs. “It’s take out.”

Exhaling, I look at her and smile in relief. “Thank God. I still remember the Ramen you tried to feed me last time.”

“Oh yeah.” Steph says. “I still don’t know what went wrong.”

“You put too much water, you over boiled it till it became a paste and the tastemaker was not enough.” I tell her and she blushes. “But luckily for you,” I continue as I rest my arm on her shoulder “I, the Great Shanna Lee, perhaps the greatest chef ever born is here to take care of your culinary needs and… Oh heck!”  I splutter when the house comes into view. “This place is great!"

“I know right.” And she leads me on a tour.

“This one is mine.” She opens her curtains and I find that her room overlooks the pool. “So that I can check out the hot guys.” She says in way of explanation. I laugh and she leads me to my room and opens the curtain.

My room over looked the city. “Ohmigosh!” I exclaim and just stare out. All the city lights were just amazing. “like it?” Steph asks and I just nod mutely. “Good. I’m glad you like it.”

"Like it? Seriously? I LOVE IT!”  I hug her. “Thankyou!”

"Anytime.” She grins and we go back to the kitchen.

“So how are our neighbors” I ask and she shrugs.

“Secretive. And very, very, very noisy.”

“Hot?” I ask and she nods. “Very. Super Junior.”

“Supe-?” Realization dawns and I gasp. “Super Junior are our neighbors?”

“Ne.” She nods. “Noisy brats.”

“Are they nice? Have you met them?” I ask and she laughs. “Yup. They popped over and said hi when I moved in.”

“They seem nice.” I say and she vehemently denies it. “ No. They’re noisy.”

And as if to prove her correct, a sudden drum roll starts, shaking the walls. “They’ve started again. Welcome to paradise babe.”

“Super Junior…” I smile and she rolls her eyes.

Okay, so I’ve been listening to metal music (which I detest, by the way) for the last two hours and I have a massive headache. “Will they never stop?” I cry, holding my head and Steph pats my back sympathetically. “Nopes.”

“Arrgh!” I growl and then stomp my foot. “This is it.” I snarl. “Excuse me.” I let myself out and stomp towards door number 2901. Never mind that they were Super Junior my favorite band. They were going to get a piece of my mind. Balling my hand, I pound on the door. After five minutes of pounding and ringing the bell, I turn the knob and open the door. I can feel my frame and everything else vibrating and I lean against the doorframe, surveying the scene in front of me. All the SuJu boys are busy nodding their heads in time with the music and don’t notice me. On a table next to me, I find the remote to the music system. Grabbing it, I start lowering the volume. As the volume decreases all heads swivel to me and I smile sweetly. “I hope you remember the fact that you have neighbors who could do without listening to your crap?”

“Who are you?” Leeteuk asks and I shrug. “That’s for me to know and for you to guess. Now I swear, if you play that music again at such loud decibels, I will personally come and break that stereo into pieces.” My voice has softened into a growl and after a last glare, I sweep out.

“I’m scared of you.” Steph greets me as I come in and I laugh. “Maybe now they’ll shut up now.”

“I certainly hope so.” She smiles and laughing I go and take a shower. When I emerge, I find Steph sleeping peacefully. Smiling at the curled up figure, I go around in my robe sipping hot coffee when the doorbell rings. Steph wakes up with a start and we go towards the door. I look out of the peephole and Steph and I giggle. This is how the scene went…

Ryeowook: Hyung, what if that scary noona opens the door?

Leeteuk: I’m sure Steph will open the door

Ryeowook: I’m scared of noona

Me (suddenly): Noona? Who the hell is noona over here?

They: AHHHHHHHHHHH *really high pitched scream*

Me: Gosh! Shut up noisy brats!

They: *nod vigorously*

Me: What do you want?

Ryeowook: O-O-Onion

Leeteuk: *Gestures two with his fingers*

Laughing, I go and get it while Steph talks to the guys. Handing the onions to Ryeowook I smile. “I’m eighteen so don’t call me noona babe.” I wink. “N-ne.” They stutter, and I flash another smile. “I’m really not that scary you know.” Over here Ryeowook and Leeteuk look at each other skeptically and Steph laughs. She gives me a side hug and nods. “She’s a sweet heart once you get to know her.”

“Oh…” They smile hesitantly at me and I nod. “That’s better.”

They wave and I go and change when Steph comes into my room. “What?” I ask and she shrugs. “Could you get chocolate syrup form the boys?”

“Do I need to? I’m in pajamas.” I look down at my shorts and sports bra. “No problem.
They keep coming over in their boxers so this is fine.”  Nodding I wear a jacket and ring their doorbell. After some time Donghae opens it. “Scary noona!” He exclaims. “I mean, uh, sweet, wonderful neighbor?”

Laughing I stick my hand out. “I’m Lee and I’m not that scary you know.” 

“Okay?” HE asks shaking my hand. “I’m Lee Donghae by the way.”

“I know.” I smile cheerfully and ask. “Could I have some chocolate sauce?”

“Sure Noona.”

“Lee. I’m younger than you.” I correct and he looks at me in shock. I lift my shoulders and he beckons me in. I follow him to the dining area where everyone is eating. “Hey Wookie.” I greet and place my hands on his shoulder and give a squeeze before waving at Leeteuk. “Hola.”

The others (excluding Wookie and Leeteuk) stare at me in a who is she and why is she acting so chummy with us way. I have this thing where once I’m introduced to a person and if I like him, he automatically gets included into my family. I liked Ryeowook and Leeteuk so yes, they’d officially become family members.

“Hey Lee.” He waves back and Ryeowook hands me his fork. “Want to taste?” HE asks gesturing at his plate. I frown hesitantly. “What is it?”

“Eat. You’ll like it.” He spears a piece of meet and hands it to me. Nodding, I take it and a burst of flavor floods my mouth. “This is goooood.” I exclaim in surprise. “Is it too spicy?” Leeteuk asks and I shake my head. “Nopes.”

“Anyways, guys.” Ryeowook says. “This is lee, our scary neighbor.”

“Hey!” I exclaim. “I am not scary!” 

“Yes you are.” Leeteuk tells me and I stick my tongue out. “Whatever.”

“So what’s your full name Lee?” Siwon asks. “Shanna Adrianna Lee.” I reply and he nods. “Nice name.”

“Thankyou.”

“And where are you from?” Heechul asks, looking pointedly at my permanently tanned skin. Somehow when people look at my skin color and then compare it to theirs always cheeses me off. I don’t like Heechul I decide as I take the chocolate sauce form Donghae. “Bet you wouldn’t have asked that if it were not for my skin tone.” I tell Heechul and continue. “But, since your curious, I’m half Indian.” I then look at the others. “Bye you guys! Enjoy your meal.”

“Bye Shanna.” They chorus and I correct them. “Lee. It’s Lee not Shanna or Adrianna. Arasso?”

“Arraso.”