Becoming A Man In Your Eyes

Becoming A Man In Your Eyes

 

 

“Hey, Luhan! Wait up!”

            Luhan turns around to see none other than Kai running in his direction. Everyday’s the same. Luhan tried to go home as soon as possible so he won’t have run into Kai as he himself goes home from school. They used to be great friends since they lived in the same neighborhood but since one of Kai’s friends told Luhan that Kai had feelings for him, he hasn’t seen Kai the same way. He was always really comfortable with Kai and enjoyed spending time with him but ever since Kai’s friend motioned Kai’s feeling he’s been feeling slightly weary. He’s had some bad experiences with dating guys that are younger than him. They always tend to be immature and inexperienced and that frustrates him to no end.

“Hyung, what are you doing? You seem lost.”

“Nothing, I was just thinking.”

“Don’t think too often someone might just steal you away and you wouldn’t even notice.”

“I’ll try not to.”

“Good. Do you want to stop by the convenience store before heading home? I’ll buy you ice cream.”

“No, I’m fine. You go ahead though.”

“Oh, okay. Bye hyung.”

“Bye.”

            Everyday was the same, Kai would offer to give Luhan things or offer to hang out, but Luhan always rejected. Luhan knew it wouldn’t be long till Kai noticed that he was ignoring him slightly. He saw Kai walking ahead of him and turn a corner towards the convenience store close by. He passes the corner not long after but walked straight instead of turning. He went straight home set his things down and sprawled across the floor in his living room. After an hour of just lying around on the floor doing nothing then there was a knock on the door and he had to get up to answer the door to whoever it was.

            Low and behold, Kai was the one at the door. He was no longer in his school uniform and had changed into casual clothes. He held his hands behind his back as he looked up at Luhan through his bangs that hung over his eyes.  Luhan just stared at him, wondering what he was doing at his door. He opened the door more to let Kai in but was reluctant to. Once Kai was inside Luhan saw that Kai didn’t move until he did and was acting very modest for how he usually was. Once they were seated in the living room Kai finally brought his hands foreword. He had flowers in his one hand while in the other he held onto a freezer bag.

“Hyung, I’ve noticed that recently you don’t want to talk to me or hang out. I’m sorry for what I did. I don’t know what it is that I did wrong but can you forgive me?”

“If you don’t know what you did why are you apologizing?”

“Because, I feel like I have to. I have to make you like me as much as possible.”

“And why is that?”

“Because, I-I-I I like you. And, I want you to be my boyfriend.”

“Look, Kai, I’m sorry. I just, I don’t date younger guys.”

“Why?”

“I’ve never been comfortable when I was in a relationship with someone younger than me. I always ended feeling like I was babysitting instead of dating.”

“But I’m different. I can become whoever you want me to be. I can be mature. I can do anything for you. Just give me a chance.”

“I’m sorry; it’s just not going to happen.”

            Kai put the things down that were in his hands down onto the couch and got up to leave. He had tears in his eyes as he left. Luhan didn’t try to stop him: he thought it’d be better that way. He picked up the flowers and put them in a vase. When they were put in water Luhan stared at them sadly. He didn’t mean to break Kai’s heart, he just had his reasons not to go along with Kai and return his feelings. He saw the bag on the couch and picked it up. He opened it to find his favorite icecrean inside. He felt even sadder then. Kai had gone so far and it probably took him so much courage to even confess to him yet Luhan just turned him down like it was nothing. He felt horrible and decided to just put the ice cream in the freezer and then go to bed.

            When he woke up he saw that it was still early. He took his time to get ready and when it was time to leave he grabbed his bag with his school things in it and headed towards the door. When he opened the door it hit something and he looked down to find a small box at his doorstep. He opened it as he was going down the stairs to head to school. He opened it to find another small box with note attached to it. The note read, I know you’ve already rejected me but I’m going to keep on trying until you love me. Luhan looked at the note and then looked up to find Kai standing in front of him smiling like he hadn’t had his heart ripped apart the night before. His eyes showed no traces of redness from crying and his smile could fool anyone and make them believe that he was the happiest person alive.

            Luhan just walked ahead not even opening the second box, just stuffing it in his bag before leaving Kai behind. Kai walked fast to catch up to Luhan and wrapped his arm around Luhan’s. Luhan tried to pry Kai off of his arm but had no luck in doing so.  Kai had no intentions of letting go until they reached his school. That was the good thing; Kai’s school was located closer than Luhan’s so he always walked with Luhan before and after school without a fear of being left behind. When they reached the school Luhan once again tried to pull his arm away from Kai’s and succeeded. When he was walking away he heard his name being called but didn’t turn around. Instead he just walked ahead but was pulled back by Kai that spun him around. He engulfed him in a hug then when he pulled away he gave Luhan a kiss on the cheek and with a low voice said, “Be safe today. I’ll wait for you after school.” then walked off towards his friends that were waiting at the gate. Luhan didn’t know what to do as he was still in a slight shock as to what Kai did and said. He never told him to be safe or that he’d wait for him, he’d usually just do it. Kai never hugged him like that either; he’d usually just wave as he entered his school. And the kiss was just out of nowhere. After the initial shock left him he continued walking towards his own school.

            When Luhan arrived at school he acted as if nothing had happened and went on with his life. He met his friends at lunch at then went on to finish his classes for the day. When the day was done, instead of just heading home like usual he asked one of his friends to join him for coffee. They went to a coffee shop near by their school and just hung out for a couple hours. When they parted and went their separate ways Luhan saw someone sitting on the floor when he passed by Kai’s school. The thought that Kai would wait for him passed his mind but he got rid of it and continued walking. When he passed by the gate the figure stood up and ran towards Luhan. It was Kai. He had waited for him, like how he said he would. He waited for an extra three hours in front of the school waiting for Luhan to go by so they could go home together. He didn’t seem upset that he had waited for so long but Luhan knew better. He knew that Kai was upset and would ask for compensation.

            Surprisingly Kai only took Luhan’s hand in his and began to walk home. He didn’t talk much but he also didn’t complain about waiting. As they were reaching the convenience store once again Kai pulled Luhan in its direction and grabbed a small basket and pulled him into the aisle that had chips and candy. He kept walking and kept on grabbing random snacks. When he was done he asked Luhan if he was going to get anything, he just shook his head no. Luhan thought that he was going to be paying for everything so he didn’t want to get something else that would just add to amount of money. Instead he just shook his head even if he was really thirsty and wanted something to drink. As they walked back to the counter to pay for everything Kai made Luhan hold the basket as he went back to get something. He came back with two drinks in his hand. Kai grabbed the basket from Luhan’s hands and put it on the counter. When the guy behind the register was finished Luhan was about to get his wallet out to pay but then saw Kai handing the cashier money. When they walked out Kai had the plastic bag hanging from one wrist as he opened his drink. He once it was open he handed it to Luhan and took out the other drink and opened it. He drank out of it and when he was done he looked at Luhan with the drink in his hand, untouched.

“Do you not like the flavor? I can go back and buy you another one if you want me to.”

“No, it’s fine. I was just thinking that it was for you.”

“Why? I bought two. One for you and one for me.”

“Well, I made you wait for three hours. I thought you’d make me pay as compensation for making you wait. And so you just kept getting things and I thought the same with the drinks.”

“You didn’t make me do anything. I chose to wait. I wanted to walk home with you. I wanted to spend time with you.”

“Oh.”

            Luhan then brought the drink towards his lips and took a sip of it. He looked at Kai afterwards and he had this kind of bored expression on his face. It really didn’t suite him all too well, he liked Kai when he was smiling more. Then he remembered the night before and remembered Kai’s face as tears rolled down his face, and he remembered how he felt. He looked at Kai and then began walking again towards his home. Kai followed behind him. Kai reached out slightly as to take Luhan’s hand in his but pulled his hand back. They walked in silence until they reached Luhan’s apartment and Kai walked him to his door. Luhan opened his door and was about to walk in until Kai grabbed his arm slightly. He turned around and saw a serious expression on Kai’s face. He was about to ask him what was wrong before Kai pulled him closer and brought his lips only a few centimeter away from Luhan’s. Luhan’s breath hitched at how close they were, he expected Kai to kiss him but he just stayed there. Kai pulled away and let go of Luhan. He looked down at his shoes and mumbles something under his breath. Luhan pulled his chin up and asked him what he said.

“I said, I don’t want to kiss you unless you want it too.”

            Luhan smiled thinking it was sweet that Kai was considerate even if he knew that he stood a very little to no chance at being with Luhan. Kai bid him a goodnight and began to walk away. Luhan didn’t know what happened but he called out Kai’s name and walked up to him. He grasped him slightly and kissed his cheek. “Thanks, for not being a jerk and just kissing me.” Kai smiled kissed Luhan on the cheek as well and this time actually left to leave for his own home. Luhan walked back in to his apartment and felt his heart beating rapidly. He held his hand up to his chest an felt the rhythm of his heart until it calmed down. Kai’s smile flashed across his mind and the sensation of his breath being so close to his lips all passed through Luhan and he was overwhelmed. He walked into his living room and put his bag down next to him. He opened it so he could get his school work done but when he reached in he felt a small box. He pulled it out and saw that it was the box that had the note on top of it in the morning. He opened it and found a bracelet in it. It wasn’t expensive or anything. It was just something that you’d get at the mall with your friends.  He saw another small note underneath it and it read, I thought you’d like it. I bought it a while ago but I never got the chance to give it to you. I hope you like it. Have a great day. Luhan smile at the little note and then looked at the bracelet. He put it on and saw that it fit him perfectly.

 

 

            The next day Luhan went out of his apartment and once again found a small present at his door. This time it was a morning drink. It had a sticky note attached to it. It was filled with little doodles of flowers hearts, and small animals. In the middle all that was written was have a good day. He smiled and took the drink and began to drink it. As he was walking he saw Kai on his way to school with some friends. Kai turned his way but didn’t say anything or even wave. Luhan was glad. That day he walked to his school in silence and the day seemed to drag on. When he got out of school he walked home and walked even faster as he got closer to Kai’s school in order for him to just pass without being seen by Kai. Surprisingly there was yelling of hi name even if he had seen Kai, he was to occupy talking to his friends. When he arrived home he walked in a lay himself down on his bed. He skipped dinner and just slept. The next morning Luhan woke up earlier to go to school before Kai so he wouldn’t run into him. Just as the day before there was a present at his door. This time it was a small box of chocolates. He put it in his school bag and walked to school without bumping into Kai. When school was over he stayed at school for an extra hour in the library doing his homework. When he was done he thought he had spent enough time at school that Kai would have already gone home. When he walked by Kai’s school he saw no one in front of the gate and let out a sigh of relief. This same routine went on for almost a month. A month without seeing Kai. At first Luhan was happy but then near the end of the month he began to miss Kai. He knew he was doing it so he wouldn’t have to deal with Kai’s feeling for him.

            At school Luhan’s friends began to question his behavior. One of his closest friends Minseok had asked him to coffee. When they were at the café Minseok asked him why Luhan had been out of it for the last month or so.

“Look Minseok-hyung, I’m fine. I’m just trying to deal with something.”

“And what might that ‘something’ be?”

“It’s just that I found out a little over a month ago that Kai has feeling for him and I’ve already rejected him, but the day after I rejected him he acted like nothing happened and we walked to school together. After school that one time we went to the coffee shop he waited for me in front of his school until I got there. That morning he told me he’d wait for me and then he kissed me on the cheek. And usually when I make him wait for even a little bit he usually make me give him something as to compensate for making him wait, but that time he just walked with me and then took me to a convenience store. I thought that since he didn’t through a tantrum that he was going to make me buy him what he wanted but instead he bought me something and his own things. And also everyday he gives me little presents. He leaves them at my door so when I open my door in the morning I get them. They’re always little things like drinks, snacks, or little trinkets. I haven’t seen him for almost a month. I’ve been going to school earlier so I don’t see him and I’ve been staying back so I don’t see him after school either. I kind of miss him.”

“Have you ever thought that maybe you have feelings for him as well I mean you’ve already rejected him and he’s still doing things to get your attention. And you just said you miss him.”

“But, he’s younger than me by two years. You know I don’t date younger guys. And you know why.”

“I don’t think he fits into that category. He’s been mature enough to deal with your rejection and still want to pursue you in subtle ways so that you slowly fall in love with him. I’d say he’s far from the standards that even you set for guys. So you don’t you just give him a chance?”

“I don’t know how. I’m not ready to see him that way. I’m not ready to see Kai at eye level and be in a relationship with him.”

“And why not?”

“I just I want him to be the cute guy that he is but I also want him to be able to protect me and take me out and not be immature about it. I want him to show me off as his boyfriend but not as something as childish as a prize that he got after begging for it for so long.”

“I think he’s already that guy. You just don’t want to see him as that guy because you’re afraid that h might hurt you like the guys before him. Look, I know its tough trying to have the perfect relationship but you can’t let your past relationships control your future one. You just have to let them go.”

“Even the relationship that we had.”

“Even that one. And if it doesn’t work out with this Kai guy you can always end up friends like how we did. Sure it took some time but look at us now. We’re inseparable now, even if our relationship was terrible.”

            Luhan just sat across from his ex-lover and now best friend just looking at him. He looked down at his now cold coffee and smiled as he remembered Kai’s smile the night that they had kissed each other the cheek. But then he also remembered Kai’s face covered in tears. He liked seeing Kai smile, but he also liked that serious face that Kai got on occasion, but he definitely did not like Kai’s face when he cried. He remembered the thundering of his heart hitting against his ribs that same night. He remembered how happy he used to be every time they hung out before Luhan found out about Kai’s feelings. He looked up to see Minseok looking out the glass wall in front of the café. He saw Kai pass by with some of his friends when he followed Minseok’s line of vision. He then looked at Minseok with a questioning look.

“That’s my cousin. The short one with blonde hair. I wonder what he’s doing around here.”

            Luhan knew who the kid with the blonde hair was. His name was Sehun. He’s the one that told Luhan of Kai’s feelings for him. He looked back at the group as they crossed the street and began walking over towards the café.  Minseok called out to Sehun and waved at him. The small group of friends got their drinks and headed towards Luhan’s and Minseoks table. Sehun saw Luhan and greeted him as he sat next to Minseok. Kai looked to greet Minseoks friend but stopped when he saw it was Luhan. He stood there beside the table until Sehun hit him on the arm telling him to sit down as the other boys connected another table to theirs so they’d all sit together. Kai sat next to Luhan and gave him a small smile. Sehun introduced everyone one by one to Minseok  and Luhan and Kai was last. When Minseok heard Kai’s name he looked across the table to see Luhan facing the wall. He kicked him under the table to get his attention. He looked towards Kai as if asking him ig it was the Kai he was talking about earlier. Luhan nodded slightly and Minseok began to laugh. Everyone looked at him as if he was crazy, just laughing out of nowhere. He told Sehun that he’d treat him and his friends to dinner and they left. Leaving Luhan and Kai alone.

            Luhan was waiting for Kai to leave but he just stayed next to him. He looked at Kai and sent an awkward smile towards him. Kai slowly grabbed Luhan’s hand that was on the table and intertwined their fingers. Kai expected Luhan to pull away instantly but instead he just kept his hand there. He turned slightly towards him and smiled.

“I’ve missed you Luhan-hyung. Have you been good in the last month?”

“Yea, I’ve been good.”

“How about now? Are you okay now? Or do you feel uncomfortable with me?”

“No, this is fine. I’m okay. How about you?”

“I’ve been upset. One day you kiss me and the next you disappear.  The only way I know you’re still alive is that I walk by you apartment to see if you get my presents. Have you liked my presents?”

“Yea, I like them. Thanks.”

“How do you and Minseok- hyung know each other? Sehun always talks about him but I never got to meet him till now.”

“He’s my best friend. And… my ex-boyfriend.”

“Oh, I see.”

            They stayed silent sitting next to each other with their fingers intertwined. Kai would occasionally play with Luhan’s fingers and rub the back of Luhan’s hand with his thumb.  Luhan just let him do anything, because, right now all he could think of was of how much he’s missed Kai and spending time with him. He also realized that his heart started to beat harder against his ribs and is breaths became short and slightly faster. He scooted closer towards Kai and laid his head on his shoulder. He felt Kai let go of his hand and he internally whined at the loss of action. He calmed down when he felt Kai move his arm around him and have his hand land on Luhan’s waist. Kai brought him closer and Luhan didn’t mind. He looked up at Kai and saw that he was looking at him too.

“Kai, about what I said. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t just assume that since you’re younger than me that you’re immature. I’m sorry about hurting you. I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s okay. I’ll wait for you until you fall in love with me. I hope you don’t mind.”

“You can stop waiting.”

“Huh?”

            Kai looked down at Luhan to see what he meant but was met with a pair of lips connecting to his. He was surprised at first and was about to close his eyes when Luhan pulled away. He didn’t want it to end so he captured Luhan’s lips in his and began to kiss him. Luhan began to laugh while kissing. Kai pulled away and looked Luhan with a confused look on his face. Luhan stopped laughing and looked down.

“It took me talking to Minseok, of all people to help me realize my feeling for you.”

“I guess I’ll have to thank him.”

            Kai smiled and pressed his lips again for a short kiss. He pulled Luhan out of his seat and paid for their drinks and walked out of the café. He held onto Luhan’s hand as they walked home together. When they were in front of Luhan’s apartment they just stood in front of the door not knowing what to do. Their fingers were still linked together in between them as they both looked down at their shoes just smiling.

“Do you want to come in?”

“Do you want me to come in?”

“Yea.”

“Then I’ll come in for a little bit.”

            Luhan opened his door and pushed the door open and let Kai walk in first. Kai walked over to the couch and sat down. He signaled for Luhan to sit down next to him. When he was about to sit Kai grabbed his hips and made him sit on his lap. Luhan now on Kai’s lap looked at him with a surprised look on his face. Kai brought his face up slightly to connect his lips with Luhan’s. Luhan shifted slightly and was now facing Kai. Kai held onto his waist as Luhan’s arms rested on Kai’s shoulders. They pulled away from the kiss and smiled at each other.

“I think I can get used to this.”

“Used to what? Kissing?”

“No, having you as mine and only mine. Or me being yours. Whichever one you prefer.”

            Luhan giggled and hugged Kai against his chest.

“What time do you have to be home?”

“It’s Friday, it doesn’t matter.”

“Do you want to spend the night?”

“I’ll ask if I can.”

            Kai pulled out his phone from his pocket and called his house. His mom picked up the phone and Kai asked her if he could spend the night at his boyfriend’s house. She freaked out saying no that she was not letting Kai stay with his boyfriend most especially since they’ve never even met his boyfriend. Kai then told her he could just bring his boyfriend in ten minutes so they could meet him. He hung up the phone and looked at Luhan who was just staring at him.

“I guess we both have to go. They want to meet you.”

“Already meeting the parents? It usually takes a couple of months before I do that.”

“If you don’t want to I can just go home.”

“No, I’ll go.”

            Luhan got off of him and walked to the door. He put his shoes on and waited for Kai. When they were out that’s when Luhan realized that he was actually going to meet Kai’s parents as their son’s boyfriend and not friend. He began to get nervous the closer they got to Kai’s apartment. When they were in front of Kai’s door and he was about to open the door, Luhan stopped him and told him to wait a bit. Kai turned to Luhan and saw how nervous he had become; he took him in his embrace and held him whispering sweet nothings to him. The door opened behind them and they just away from each other, slightly. They were met by Kai’s mother standing in the door way looking at them.

            When they were inside Kai’s mother had them sit down in the living room. She sat down across from them and asked Kai where his boyfriend was. Kai just smiled and put his hand on Luhan’s thigh. She looked at that and grasped. She was surprised that her son would even be interested in someone like Luhan. She was mainly surprised because they were complete opposites and they didn’t seem anything more than just friends.

            She walked over to Kai with a stern expression on her face; she sat down on the arm of the sofa and hit her son on the back of the head.

“You could have just told me you were staying with Luhan! You just had to make him come over here and make him walk!”

“Wow, wait. You’re not mad… that… you know I like guys?”

“Why would I be mad? You like what you like, that has nothing to do with me.”

“So you don’t mind that I’m dating Luhan?”

“Oh, sweetie I feel bad that he has to put up with you now, even more. Luhan, honey, if you ever need me to control him don’t be afraid to call me.”

            Luhan looked at her in surprise and then just nodded with a smile on his face. Kai took his hand and took him to his room so he could get his clothes. Kai sat Luhan down on the bed while he got his things ready. When his things were all packed in a sports bag he set it down next to Luhan.

“Ready?”

“Yea, but I just need to get one last thing.”

“What is it?”

“Nothing. I don’t need it.”

“Okay.”

            They walked out of the room and Kai’s mother saw them. She went over to Luhan and hugged him goodbye and did the same to her son. She told them to be good and let them go. When they were out of the house they began walking back to Luhan’s apartment hand in hand.  They both had a smile on their faces because they were happy alongside with the person that made them happy.  This was just the beginning of their relationship but it was going to be good.