Maybe

Maybe

 

Hye Won POV

            The end of the year school musical was coming up. Since I’m in the performing arts club, it is a must for me to join. I’m not really good at acting nor can I sing. The only reason I join is because I needed an extra class for my college application. Since everything else was full of hard work, I chose performing arts. It was the easiest out of economy, biology, and English. I heard that the musical is about a girl meeting a boy and blah blah blah… romantic crap. Btw, the musical is called “Maybe”. Who the hell came up with that title??

            When it was time for auditions, I decided to watch from behind and just wait for the last empty parts because I know that they’ll be small ones. Lots of girls were auditioning to be the role of Catherine Chaplin, the main character. I didn’t know why those ugly beasts were auditioning until I heard that Zelo is the main guy character. Zelo is the kingka of the school and every girl is in love with him. Apparently, Zelo is playing Jason Perkins, the guy who falls in love with Catherine Chaplin. When the girls started auditioning, I kept trying to hide my laughter. They were completely and utterly HORRIBLE. The teacher just kept smiling and saying compliments. Since Zelo was the main character, he needed to pick a girl by himself so there would be lots of “chemistry”.

            When every one was done auditioning, I was the only one left. I’m known to be the shyest girl in the school so I picked to be the maid.

            ‘ Hello, I’m Han Hye Won and I want to audition as maid Clair.’ I said with a small voice.

            ‘ Oh, Hye Won-ah. You’re actually participating in this musical, not just be a rock or tree.’ The teacher said while smiling.

I started saying my lines but was cut off by… Zelo.

            ‘ SONGSAENIM! She’s the one!’ Zelo screamed out while pointing at me.

What. The. Freak.

            ‘ oh, you want Hye Won to be your partner? But she’s new and I’ve never seen her act.’ The teacher said.

            ‘ it’s okay, I know in my gut that she’ll be the perfect Catherine.’ Zelo said with a smirk only I can see.

I just stand there in awe. What the hell is he thinking?!?! I can’t act! I can’t definitely sing. ARGHHGH!!

The other girls who auditioned seemed furious upon hearing the news.  Zelo came up to me and hugged me. I was shocked but happy for some reason. The other girls looked at me like I was their prey. Suddenly he whispered to me

            ‘ I hope we can work together at peace, Hye Won.’ He said joyfully. I knew from that day on, my life would not be peaceful anymore.

Hye Won POV

When it was home time, I wanted to go to the teacher to tell him I won’t be Catherine. I can’t be Catherine because I can’t act/sing and the girls in school WILL KILL ME. When I was walking towards the performing arts room, some one grabbed my arm and pulled me into an empty classroom.

            ‘ YOU! Stop flirting with Zelo, nerd!!’ a girl said as she pushed me to the wall. I can see that there are about 4 girls and they auditioned earlier.

            ‘ you’re just a worthless talentless ugly fake nerd. How can you even think of performing on the same stage as Zelo? He’s a prince and you’re a peasant. He’s rich and you’re super poor.’ Another girl said.

Those words hit me hard. I really wanted to cry. I can feel tears already forming and ready to drop. It’s been a long time since someone called me that.

            ‘OUCH’ I whimpered. One of those girls pulled my hair really hard.

‘ just tell the teacher that you want out and we won’t try to bully you again, arasso?’ a girl asked. I nodded, tears were already dropping. Sun Hee grabbed me collar and pushed me to the ground. I closed my eyes and was prepared for the fall, but nothing happened. I didn’t feel any pain. I opened my eyes and saw Zelo protecting me from the fall.

‘ Ya! What’s going on? why did you push her?’ he said seriously.

‘ she pushed me first. That was self defense, oppa.’ Sun Hee pouted.

I could see by Zelo’s expression that he didn’t like her pout.

            ‘ she didn’t do anything. I saw YOU pushing her around and pulling her hair.’ He barked back.

            ‘ so what? Why do you care about her?’ Sun Hee returned.

            ‘ because she’s MY co-actor and if something ever happens to her, the musical will be ruined! And don’t try to make her quit… the musical needs her’ he answered back.

Oh, so he cared about the musical, not me… my feels…

            ‘ so please, leave her alone or else..’ he said with a threatening voice.

All 4 girls walked outside and slammed the door.

            ‘ hey, are you alright Hye Won-ah?’

I quickly nodded and got out of his grasps. I can’t believe Zelo, THE ZELO, was hugging my waist protectively. The thought of it made me red. I quickly grabbed my bag and ran outside, but he caught my hand.

            ‘ Hye Won-ah, are you okay? your face is red… are you sick.’ He asked in a concerning voice.

            ‘ I’m fine’ I said a covered my face.

            ‘ well, I have to go now. See you tomorrow at practice, Catherine.’ He said and ran off.

Well, honestly I still wanted to call it quits. I don’t know why I should even star in this musical! I’ll just try it and see how it goes… ouch.. my head hurts from the pull earlier.

                                                                                                                                                                          

Hye Won POV

            A few weeks have passed and the musical is going well. I told the teacher that I couldn’t sing, so he told someone else to sing my part. Zelo was a bit upset, but he let it go. I don’t think that my acting is going well, but no one complained yet, so who cares! The performance was next week and I’m freaking out! All the horrible things that can go wrong is all I can think about!!

            It was time for practice, but no one was there yet. I saw an open piano and automatically walked towards it. I sat on the seat, put my fingers on the keys and started playing suddenly by 2pm. it’s my favorite song so far and I love the sad lyrics. After a few notes, I started singing. Since no one was around, I wanted to let my voice out. After the song ended, I smiled to myself. Suddenly, I heard claps. I looked behind me and saw Zelo smiling at me. OMG… did he hear me sing??? Oh freak, it’s time to RUN! I couldn’t move at all from my seat and found myself smiling back at him. I quickly looked down and turned tomato red. He went up to the stage and pat my head.

            ‘ you were quite good my friend… why did you tell Mr. Kim you couldn’t sing? Lying is a sin you know…’ he said while chuckling.

I couldn’t say a word… my heart was beating faster than usual. I just stayed quiet and looked at the piano keys. The teacher suddenly walked in.

            ‘ hey, come on! let’s start practicing!’ teacher Kim shouted. 

Zelo suddenly dragged me towards the teacher.

            ‘ teacher!! Hye Won can sing!!’ he exclaimed.

Without hesitating, I quickly closed his mouth from the back. He was surprised but seemed like he was smiling.

            ‘ well if you can sing, then sing in the musical!’ the teacher replied.

            ‘ ayolahh… pleaseee.’ Zelo pleaded.

I couldn’t say no to him now… so I nodded.

They both cheered happily and then the rest of the crew came. We started practicing and it went well. after practice, Zelo offered to walk me home, but I said no. being the stubborn kid he is, he insisted so my answer changed.

            ‘ Bye Hye Won! See ya tomorrow!’ he said. I waved a small goodbye and went in the house.

Zelo POV

            I swear to God that Hye Won has the most beautiful voice in the world… and when she sang, she looked like an angel. I can’t wait to perform with her next week. ^^

                                                                                                                                                                       

            Hye Won POV

            Today’s the day people! And I’m not excited at all. I’ve been so nervous since this morning and my heartbeat haven’t stopped racing. GOSHH!! Zelo’s been very happy since the morning. I think he’s very excited for the performance… but I’m scared I’ll mess it up and make him sad… What if I fall? Or slip on a note? GAAAH my feels!!

            The performance would start in 5 hours, so I decided to walk around the school. I haven’t changed so I can do whatever I want! ^^ I went to the library then to the canteen. When I was walking around the locker area, I felt something cold soaking my body… it’s water, very cold water.

            ‘ akkkhh’ i screamed in shock. Luckily no one was around, so they won’t crowd over me.

            ‘ wkwkwkwk… how’s the water geek?’ Sun Hee asked while the other girls were laughing. I wanted to cry so badly. The water was so cold and I was shivering rapidly.

            ‘ so, today’s the performance ey? I hope you slip on the stage and die.’  One of the girls said.

            ‘ you probably think that we wouldn’t disturb you again because of Zelo, but you are wrong woman. It’s obvious Zelo just pitied you. Being the geekiest and the easiest target in school, who wouldn’t? except for us you know…’ they smirked.

After hearing that, I felt angry. I’m tired of being bullied by these people. I’m tired of being pitied on by Zelo. I’m just tired…

            ‘ shut up. I don’t care what you people say. I know I’m ugly and worthless. You people don’t have to tell me, especially if you’re ugly and worthless too.’ I said. I don’t care if they beat me up. IDGAF anymore.

            Sun Hee was mad. I knew it. I closed my eyes and got ready to feel the pain of punches, but nothing. I felt nothing. I opened my eyes and saw Zelo, yet again, protecting me. His arm blocked Sun Hee’s punch.

            ‘ WOI! Didn’t I tell you to stop bothering her?!?! You idiots don’t have the rights to hurt Hye Won because she’s done nothing wrong.’ Zelo yelled at them.

            ‘ oppaaaa… why are you saying such stupid words? her life is a mistake to the world… she’s a disgrace to humanity! Stop protecting her like you care, because you’re just pitying her.’ Sun Hee said.

I couldn’t hold my tears and cried silently. It hurt when she said that. The pain was unbearable.

            ‘ her tears are fake. Her emotions are fake. She is fake.’ Sun Hee continued.

Suddenly, I heard a ‘pakk’ (slap noise).

            ‘ don’t you dare say those words to her you demonic buffoon. You have no rights to call her that! Maybe, you Sun Hee is the mistake not her. Even though you think she’s fake, her heart is not. Her heart is better and kinder than your rotten one. So please, leave her alone and don’t ever disturb her again. I can do worse damage than that you know…’ he said to Sun Hee in the most scariest voice ever.

            Sun Hee and the other girls just ran.

I was crying like a baby in front of Zelo. I just couldn’t hold my feeling any longer. He then hugged me. I started crying harder. When I stopped, I pulled away and looked at the ground.

            ‘ Are you okay Hye Won-ah? Did they hurt you… let’s get you changed now. You’re soaking wet.’ He said calmly while grabbing my arm.

I quickly pulled my hand away.

            ‘ thanks for being my friend for the past month or two, but I want… need to break it off.’ I said in a small but strong voice.

            ‘ why?’ he asked worriedly.

            ‘ because I don’t want you to be forced to be my friend because you pity me.’ I said not looking at him.

            ‘ Hye Won, trust me when I say this. I’m your friend because I want to. I’m not forced.’ He said soothingly.

            ‘ I’m sorry, but I can’t believe you. I’m tired of trusting people. So let the musical be our final activity together.’ With that being said, I ran off. It was time to change into my costume anyways. While running, I cried a river. I don’t care if my eyes are gonna be swollen, but I just wanted to cry.

                                                                                                                                                                       

Hye Won POV

            The musical started and everything went well. I sang the songs I needed to sing and lots of people were amazed. Finally the last scene is about to begin. I’m quite nervous about facing Zelo again and saying those 3 words. Play Begin:

            “ Catherine, I need to tell you something”

            “ what is it Jason”

            Zelo hesitated for a while.

            “ I want to tell you I’m sorry. I want to tell you I DO care about you. Don’t believe what those girls said. You are my best friend and I’m honest about that. You caught my eye on the first day we met. I picked you because my gut told me we had a certain connection… wait, it’s not my gut… it’s my heart. I know you won’t believe me but you have to. We’re not friends nor best friends.” He said.

I was shocked on what he said. The audience didn’t notice that it wasn’t on the script. I just tried my best to act surprised. :O

“ I believe that we are MORE than friends. I fell for you, Catherine. I love you. Do you love me back?” He said closing his lines.

I was frozen in though, but I replied. “ Maybe”

Suddenly, Zelo leaned into me and was going to kiss me. the curtains started to close and instead of receiving the kiss, I looked sideways and let him kiss my cheeks.

I heard everyone clapping and saw a little glimpse of people standing up. I looked up and he stared at me with sincere eyes. The curtains opened and we bowed. After that, the teacher congratulated me and walked off. I wanted to go home without Zelo noticing, so I quickly changed into a shirt and short pants, then grabbed my bag and left. Suddenly, a pair of arms dragged me towards the roof. It was too late to scream because we were already on the roof. I was scared that Sun Hee probably dragged me so I closed my eyes.

‘ Hye Won-ah, open your eyes… it’s me, Zelo.’ He said.

I opened my eyes and saw his beautiful eyes sparkling at me. his handsome face looking at me.

‘ what do you want? I need to go home.’ I said harshly.

‘ please listen to what I’m saying okay?’ he asked.

I stayed quiet. He took that as an okay but hurry up signal.

‘ the words I said in the musical were honest and sincere. I’m sorry for causing you so much pain. I’m sorry for getting you bullied by other girls and having them do mean things to you. You do have a reason to hate me. I accept that with open arms, but I jut want to tell you that our friendship was real. I cared about you a lot. Now, you’re m everything. I can’t loose. I can’t loose my best friend.’ He said while holding my arms.

‘ please Zelo, don’t lie.’ I said putting my head down.

He lift my chin up.

‘ I swear to you I’m not lying.’ He said while crossing his heart.

‘ you’re my friend because you pity me. I don’t need pity okay?’ I said syubbornly.

‘ YA! Stop being stubborn! Listen carefully: I DON’T PITY YOU. OUR FRIENDSHIP WAS REAL. YOU MEAN THE WORLD TO ME. WHAT SUN HEE SAID WAS NOT TRUE.’ He said while shaking my shoulders.

He looked me in the eye for a while and I knew from his eyes, that he was telling the truth. I smiled at him.

            ‘ well then okay friend. Thank you for the explanation. I need to go home now.’ I said and started to walk away. He grabbed my hands and turned me around.

‘ dude, I’m not done… I know you probably just think that I’m your friend and all, but can we be more than friends?’ he asked shyly.

Did I just hear him correct? Is he really asking me? breathe in breathe out breather in breathe out… spazzing inside, calm outside.

            ‘ what do you mean?’ I asked bluntly.

            ‘ you oblivious person! It means I want you to be mine. M-I-N-E. MINE!’ he said happily.

I smiled at him and just stayed quiet. He was getting impatient.

            ‘ since i poured my heart to you miss Han, what is your answer?’ he asked in a silly way.            ‘ do you love me too?’

‘ you didn’t say you love me. you just said, be mine.’ I .

‘ aduh… I love you Han Hye Won. Do you love me too?’ he asked while flashing his eyelashes.

I gave him a smile and said a simple ‘ maybe’ and walked away. He was frustrated with my answer. Teehee… suddenly, he turned me around and kissed me softly. I kissed him back. His lips were soft and sweet. ;)

            ‘ I love you too, Zelo.’ Said whispered softly.

______________________________________________________ END ______________________________________________________