ONE

Behind Everything.... is YOU

The story will be narrated by Kris.

It is the 32nd Annual Basketball tournament today. This is one of the most anticipated events in our school. As expected hundreds of students in and outside of school went to watch it. Girls were cheering to support their favorite player. Boys were making a bet whose team will win this year's game. 

I'm in our locker's area and their noises reached here. My teammates are warming up their muscle. It's obvious that they are nervous, so am I.  But I acted cool because I'm Duizhang Wu Yi Fan. I shouldn't be the one feeling lot's of tension. I climbed on our bench and clapped my hands to catch their attention.

"Boys, this is it. Are we going to lose it? Of course not. We are the best! JJANG! We should prove them that we are deserving to be called Dragons." I looked at them intently and they are nodding in agreement.

"So who's gonna win?!" I screamed

"DRAGONS!!!"

"Who's gonna burn?!

"PANDAS!!!"

"Yes! Let us prove to those Pandas that we can fly because we are....."

"DRAGONS" I went down the bench and place my hand in front of them.

"WHO ARE THE BEST?" they put their hands on top of mine.

"DRAGONS!!!!" and raised our hands up high. "Now show them what we got."

 

The game is over and we won! Now all attentions turned to the members except for me. Mostly girls got their eyes to Changmin. I did everything but he got lots of fans. Well I can’t blame him, I’m a beast, nothing compared to his. But I’m taller and better basketball player than him. Luckily, he’s not that big-headed enough to brag that he did almost everything to let our team win.

“Kevin! You’re cool as always.” After all we’re best friends. I patted his shoulders. “You too, Max.” Yes, he would call me Kevin and I called him Max. That’s our given nicknames to each other. Many were wondering if how I and he became buddies. We are the complete opposites. Changmin is known to be the face of the group. He is also the oldest and dorkiest. Meanwhile I am the “toe” of the group. I am the youngest and most serious. His dream is to become an idol and I just stick on dreaming the best bb player. At least, beauty is not a requirement but skills.

The crowd our now leaving the court, they are heading outside to continue their enjoyment in the booths. I’m also about to leave when someone held my wrist. I turned around and oh-mama it’s ___________. She’s one of the prettiest and smartest students in this school. “Hey Yi Fan, congratulations! You’re good!” my mouth stayed open as she started talking. I can’t believe this girl would ever talk to me. Who would dare? I’m unlikable. But thanks to my awesome leadership and basketball skills and to Changmin, I didn’t experience much bullying.

“See you later!” I nodded to her trying to act cool. Oh really Yi Fan it’s your chance yet you let your pride win. “Oh by the way, are you busy today?” she asked. “Uhm… n-not r-really,” Damn it stop being obvious. “Good I’ll see you later then? In front of the school’s fountain.” She beamed then she left. I froze for awhile processing to what just happened. Does she like me? Oh don’t be silly she’s the beauty, you’re the beast. But the beast became a handsome prince after the girl fell in love for him. Yeah right, it’s only in movies.

I don’t why but my body dragged me here in front of our school’s fountain. I’ve been here for half an hour already but no signs of her coming. Yes she ditched you. You never learned Wu Yi Fan.

Someone poked my shoulders,  a huge smile on my face appeared and turned around. “Oh Max!” a smile on my face faded out in frustration. “Kevin, are you upset seeing me instead of your girlfriend?” “Ha, what do you mean girlfriend? I’m not expecting someone.” “Isn’t she?” he pointed his fingers behind my back; I followed it and saw her. I can feel my cheeks heated. “Kevin? You got a nice name.” she smiled. “Well you can call him Ben Ben…” I elbowed Changmin’s stomach. I saw her face bloated; now she’s going to laugh. “Ben Ben it is? How cute?!” She pinched my cheeks and it became hotter. I threw her hands away. “What do you want from me?” I said coldly. She stepped back. Now I’m scaring her away from me. Nice move. “Take it easy Kevin, see you later!” Changmin left. There a dead air between us. I cleared my throat and stared at her. “So?” I trailed off. She grabbed my arms and pulled me.

I should let go of her grip but my body didn’t allow me too. I know I’m stronger than her but I let her dragged me with her.

She stopped at the front of a small tent restaurant and looked up at me.

“I’m hungry, gege. Buy me food.” She said still clinging on my arms.

“I can’t and why should I?”

“Is this how you treat a girl?” I paused for a while.

“You know---.” “Two orders of Wanton Noodles please.” She cut me off.

“You know, just enjoy this day. Please?” She turned to me.

“How will I enjoy this if I’m the one paying for everything?” I hissed.

She laughed “You’re something.” I flushed and didn’t say anything anymore.

Throughout the day, I never thought about what people are going to say. Happiness filled me to the fact that I’m hanging out with her. Dreams do come true. I used to admire her from a far and fantasize about her and me dating. Now it’s all changed. I can examine her beautiful features closely. Her sparkling eyes looking at me. Her soft and pouty pink lips are talking to me. Her smooth and milky complexion is blinding me. Everything is so wonderful about her that I just can’t help but fall more and more to her every day.

“Ben Ben!” she snapped her fingers. “Are you still with me?”

 “Yes, I’m sorry.”

“Hahaha, so I was saying….” I completely lost my mind to her. She’s every man’s dream girl. She stopped talking and it brought me back to the present. “I think you’re bored now. Maybe we should go somewhere.” “No, I’m not bored just continue.” I protested. She grabbed my arms and dragged me again. Again, I’m lost to her world.

I didn’t say anything at all. All this time she’s the one who'll do talking. I just looked at her. Shrugged or nodded in response to her questions. It’s eight in the evening but I didn’t mind. If I have to stay until 3am in the morning, I would just to be by her side. “You know what…” she trailed on. I hummed in response. She moved in front of me. Now we’re facing each other. “I…” I raised my brow waiting for her to say something. “Nice meeting you! Good night!” she then planted a soft kiss on my cheeks. My eyes grew wide and watched her ran. She turned around and waved at me before she lost in my sight. I touched the part where she kissed it. I can’t believe it. Am I in Dreamland now? Because I don’t want to wake up to reality.  Suddenly my phone vibrated and it brought me back to reality. I checked who texted me but it’s an unknown number. I opened the message.

[Unknown number; 8:32pm] Gege, be home safely. I had so much fun today. Thank you, next time? Good night!

It’s _______________. I smiled and replied to her.

[Me; 8:33pm] Who are you? keke Thank you too. I’ll think about it. Have a safe trip. :)