Chapter 2

Shi No Barado (The Ballad of Death)

 

"Hey, Sungmin! Did you know that Kyuhyun likes you?" Sungmin’s friend, Ryeowook slapped his hand on Sungmin’s back.

"What are you talking about?" Sungmin laughed, nervously.

"Well, it's obvious isn’t it? The way he looks at you," Ryeowook teased.

"Aish!" Sungmin swiped his friend's hand off his shoulder, "We're just really close friends, that's all!"

Ryeowook chuckled. "It's easy to tell, you know. Ask him!"

"H-How could I - " Sungmin was cut off as Ryeowook's classmates arrived and dragged Ryeowook away to class, "Ask him..."

Rolling his eyes, Sungmin walked to his locker. Once again, there was a note.

My body will be your fortress; I will keep you safe from pain. My eyes would be your weapons; my losses are your gains.

"Well, there isn't much chance anymore that this is by Krystal, is it," Sungmin muttered, but pocketed the note anyway.

---------

"Who..." Sungmin scratched his head as he rested his chin on his hands, "Ryeowook said it's... No, it can't be."

"Hey Sungmin. Here's your homework. Also, I was thinking we could start up a study group, you know, so you can improve," Kyuhyun's voice sounded behind Sungmin.

Kyuhyun eyes widened a bit, followed by a sheepish grin as he sat down next to Sungmin.

Sungmin froze, is it me or is Kyuhyun seriously just trying to find time with me... So does that mean? No, no, no! It can't be!

"Sure, why not?" Sungmin said, flashing Kyuhyun a smile. "It'd be fun!"

Kyuhyun eyes widened a bit, followed by a nervous smile as he hung his head.

"So... when are we having the study session? Today?" Sungmin raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, today would be great!" Kyuhyun smiled widely.

--------

“So, what should we study today?” Kyuhyun scratched his head.

Oh gosh, is he seriously in love with me?

Sungmin sighed, “Well, I’ve been having problems with my Mathematics these days. Mind if you help me?”

“Sure! No problem!” Kyuhyun grinned, stretching his arms out wide. "Only if you help me in Music though," Kyuhyun added cheekily.

“Tsk.” Sungmin clucked his tongue, “How do you even fail Music? It’s like, the easiest subject! Ever!” Sungmin flailed his arms in the air before immediately keeping them back in his pockets; he didn’t want to get to close and comfortable with Kyuhyun now.

"Well, music or Math?" Kyuhyun said, settling himself down on the floor.

"Music?" Sungmin said. "Get the easier one down and over with," he chuckled.

"Sure," Kyuhyun said. "What's the exam on about again?"

"ITALIAN TERMS!" Sungmin faked pouted.

Sungmin took out his book of Italian terms and started teaching.

--------

"Okay, so, Allegro is?" Sungmin questioned.

"Erm....." Kyuhyun muttered worriedly. "Erm... OH it means fast!" he whispered loudly.

"Right, you are!" Sungmin whispered, proudly raising his fist in the air.

"SHH!!!" Someone hushed Sungmin and he lowered his fist embarrassedly.

"Uh oh," Kyuhyun muttered. "Oops."

Sungmin giggled a little, before trying to calm himself down

"I'm hungry... how about leaving Math to another day and we grab some dinner?" Sungmin suggested, before realizing what he said.

"Sure." Kyuhyun smiled as he got up slowly.

Sungmin mentally cursed himself, what have you done, Lee Sungmin.

"Where for dinner?" Kyuhyun asked, as they walked out of the library.

"How about McDonald's?" Sungmin jumped excitedly, it's been ages since he last had a burger

. "Sure," Kyuhyun replied, as they headed off to the restaurant.

----------

"Aish, finally. I'm starving!" Sungmin cried out as Kyuhyun approached him, carrying the orders on the tray. Sitting down with his burger, Sungmin started chomping on it. He looked up and realized that Kyuhyun was staring at him. "Yes?" Sungmin asked.

Kyuhyun looked shocked for a second, before shaking his head. "Nothing."

Then Sungmin realized, wasn’t Kyuhyun the shy type? Hasn’t he always been the shy type? The kind of guy that sat there quietly in class and never spoke a word to anyone, unless they came to him for help?

“Hey, Kyuhyun?” Sungmin folded his arms, “Aren’t you usually very quiet?”

“Oh, about that…” Kyuhyun scratched the back of his head, looking a little nervous, “You’re actually the only person that I feel comfortable with.”

Sungmin widened his eyes, is he joking? Was Ryeowook right? Does Kyuhyun really…

"I'm not hungry anymore." Sungmin said, standing up. What am I doing? "You can eat by yourself. I'm going home." Grabbing his bag, Sungmin dashed out of MacDonalds.

-----------

"Another letter?!" Sungmin exclaimed. Folding it, he put it into his pocket even without reading it.

Just then, a voice called out for Sungmin, "S-Sungmin!" Sungmin turned around to see Krystal running towards Sungmin.

"K-Krystal, w-wha--" Sungmin was interrupted as Krystal flung her arms around his neck.

"I'm so sorry!" Krystal sobbed into Sungmin's shoulder. "I shouldnt have rejected you, I see that now."

"W-Why do you say that..." Sungmin muttered.

"I thought about it and I realised that I actually loved you too." Krystal stopped hugging Sungmin and faced him seriously. "Is the offer for going on a date still there?"

Sungmin felt a burst of happiness as he grinned. "Of course!" he replied before kissing Krystal full on the lips.

-----------

After that dinner, Sungmin and Krystal, yes, started dating. They would hang out every day after school, and they started talking more and more.

The letters, after a few days had stopped, increasing Sungmin's suspicion that they were by Krystal after all.

He had always wanted to ask her whether she was the one that sent the letter, but he was just afraid she might get mad at him. So, it was better to stay on the safe side, wasn't it?

-------------

"Hey babe, I'm going off first alright?" Krystal said to Sungmin after kissing him.

"Mmhmm, sure," Sungmin said and waved her goodbye. He smiled to himself. Ever since they started dating, their popularity rose and almost everyone knew who they were. It was good and all, but Sungmin couldnt care less about the popularity. All he wanted was Krystal's love. Grabbing his books from his locker, he walked back home.

He felt like he was floating, after that kiss Krystal had given him.

I'm the happiest guy on Earth, I tell you.

But all the happiness came crashing down a few minutes later as Sungmin was walking home. Krystal was kissing another guy.

"What about Sungmin?" the guy asked.

"Oh, who cares about him," Krystal said. "I just date him for the popularity. Now kiss me. "

Sungmin stopped, his smile faded, his face flushed. "Is that.." He shook his head hard. "It can't be Krystal!"

He took a second look, the guy was holding her by the waist. She seemed so happy.

It was Krystal.

Deeply hurt, Sungmin dropped the box of chocolates he was planning on giving Krystal and ran home with tears in his eyes.

Anger and sadness overcame him so much, he ran as fast as he could across the road, forgetting about looking out for cars on the road until he heard the honk of the car.

He stood there, frozen. He was afraid, scared, heartbroken. /Why don't you just let me die now,/ he thought as he looked as the car which didn't look like it was coming to a halt.

Just then, a pair of hands pushed him out of the way. He landed on his elbows and heard the screeching sounds of the tires. A body flew all the way across the pavement, about a few meters.

Sungmin's eyes, which were filled with tears, widened. He blinked rapidly, and wiped them. He squinted to get a better look at the person.

The man, was wearing the same uniform as him. His body laid out on the road, a bloody hand pointed towards Sungmin, before landing hard on the ground.

Sungmin couldn't think at that point, then ..

Kyuhyun...?

 

As much as Sungmin wanted to get up and walk towards the body lying on the ground, his body spoke otherwise. His legs weakened, his hands were clammy, perspiring. He couldn’t move.

The driver got out of the car, “Oh my…” He looked almost as shocked as Sungmin was.

“A-A-Are you, a-alright?” The driver shook Sungmin by the shoulder, but all he could do was stay there, petrified. “I-I’ll call the p-paramedics.” The driver said terrified.

Thoughts ran through Sungmin’s mind, ‘Kyuhyun, why did he…’ ‘What was he thinking!?’

“I think you’d better go home.” Sungmin looked up, dazed. It was a policeman. He was so engrossed in his thoughts; he didn’t even realize the sirens of the ambulances and police cars.

He nodded weakly and got up, walking slowly back to his apartment.

As Sungmin entered the elevator, the tears flew down his cheeks almost immediately.

“Sungmin? Is that you? Be a dear and go study, alright?” Sungmin heard his mother shout from the kitchen. Gloomily, he headed to his own room and took out his wallet.

Taking out the pictures of him and Kyrstal from it, he crushed them in his hand before realizing that a piece of paper fell out.

’Cause you are bigger than the planet Earth, and I am your satellite.

Then realization flowed through Sungmin. He took out the notes that Kyuhyun gave him before and looked at it.

“Kyuhyun…” Sungmin whispered to himself. Turning the notes around, he realized that there numbers behind them. Lining them up according to their numbers, the notes suddenly made sense. Reading the entire thing once, he dashed out of the house.

He tried to flag a cab, but to no avail. He ended up running to the hospital. The only thing on his mind at that time, was Kyuhyun.

------------

“Let me see Kyuhyun!” Sungmin gasped out to the nurse standing at the counter.

“I’m sorry sir, but he’s in a terrible condi-“

“Let him go.” A deep voice said. It was a doctor.

“B-But sir.” The nurse seemed shocked.

“Just let him go. It might be his last chance.”

Sungmin gasped when he realized what the doctor meant. He looked at the doctor, and the doctor nodded, “Room 204. Run.” He nodded his thanks, dashing down the corridor; he skidded to a halt at Kyuhyun’s ward.

He clasped his mouth with hands; he couldn’t hold his tears back. The blood, the cables and everything.

“Kyuhyun…” He whimpered, walking towards the lifeless-looking body. Just as he reached Kyuhyun’s side, the long hated beep sounded. Kyuhyun’s heartbeat stopped.

“N-No!” He cried, “You can’t leave! I’m so, so sorry… I see now that I love you as much as you loved me. I love you, Kyuhyun, I really do.”

 

I saw your face in the LED's

My revenge was you're gift to me,

It's something that I can never repay,

But I will try anyway.

I sent a message I know you'd see,

A promise written on a TV screen

Now fate lead you down a path to me

And I'm beggin' you,

On my knees.

Cause baby when our eyes met,

(cause baby when our eyes met,)

I could never look away,

You're all I ever wanted,

There's nothing left to say

Cause baby you can use me,

(cause baby you can use me,)

I will do what you want me to.

And baby you can kill me,

(baby you can kill me)

When I'm no use,

When I'm no use to you,

My body will be a fortress,

I will keep you safe from pain,

My eyes will be your weapons,

My loses are your gains,

Together we can burn this to the ground,

Rebuild it into something right,

Cause you are bigger then the planet earth,

And I am your satellite,

Cause baby when our eyes met,

(Cause baby when our eyes met)

I could never look away,

You're all I ever wanted,

(You're all I ever wanted,)

There's nothing left to say

Cause baby you can use me,

(Cause baby you can use me,)

I will do what you want me to,

Cause baby you can kill me,

(Cause baby you can kill me,)

When I'm no use to you

I'm not afraid and I'm not alone,

Because your with me in my dreams,

(you're with me tonight)

I won't give up on this perfect love,

Even when my memories fail me,

(when my memories fail me)

Cause I see you through burning eyes,

I write your name down in my heart

Oh baby I'm just using you,

Oh love you know I want you to,

Look into the skies

Cause baby when our eyes met,

(cause baby when our eyes met,)

I could never look away,

You're all I ever wanted,

(you're all I ever wanted,)

There's nothing left to say,

Cause baby you can use me

(Cause baby you can use me)

I will do what you want me to

Cause baby you can kill me,

(Baby you can kill me)

When I'm no use,

When I'm no,

Cause baby when our eyes met

(Cause baby when our eyes met)

I could never look away

Cause your all I ever wanted

(Your all I ever wanted)

There is nothing left to say

Cause baby you can use me,

(Cause baby you can use me,)

I will do what you want me to,

And baby you can kill me,

(Baby you can kill me,)

When I'm no use to you,

Baby when our eyes met

You're all I ever wanted