Chapter 1

Shi No Barado (The Ballad of Death)

 

I sent a message I know you'd see, a promise written on the TV screen.

Sungmin read to himself. Once again, the note was signed by anonymous.

"Seriously... who could it be?" Sungmin scratched his head.

"Hey Sungmin!" A happy voice sounded next to Sungmin's ear.

"Oh, hi Krystal," Sungmin greeted the cheerful girl, a small blush forming on the bridge of his nose.

"What'cha doin'?" She beamed at him. Sungmin noticed the amount of people giggling behind their hands. It seemed that everyone but Krystal knew that Sungmin had a major crush on her.

"Nothing in particular," he said teasingly, causing Krystal to giggle. Sungmin admired the way she smiled, her beautifully curled hazelnut hair cascading down her head.

Sungmin smiled and looked down at the letter, quickly hiding it in his sling bag.

I'll figure out who sent this later, he thought to himself, waving Krystal goodbye as the school bell rang. He then made his way to the first class of the day- Mathematics.

Sungmin settled himself down next to his Math partner, Cho Kyuhyun. "Hey Kyu!" Sungmin said happily, still feeling elated after seeing Krystal.

Kyuhyun, who seemed gloomy at first, suddenly lit up. "Oh, Sungmin-ah!"

"Hey, could I borrow your math notes? I at writing notes," Sungmin said, sheepishly.

Kyuhyun gave a smile. "Yeah, sure!"

Kyuhyun took his notebook out of his bag, and handed it over to Sungmin, their hands touching for a split moment. Just then, their teacher walked in. The two of them faced the front- they didn’t want to be scolded for talking to each other!

--------

For the next few days, Sungmin got Kyuhyun to write for him notes, and occasionally do his homework. He thought that maybe Kyuhyun would deny at one point, but apparently he didn’t. Then he got another note.

'Cause baby you can use me, I will do what you want me to

"Really, who the hell could it be?" Sungmin gave a depressed sigh as he ran through his mind of the list of possible girls.

What if it's Krystal? Sungmin thought as his heart began to race faster. Then rubbed his temples and squinted at the girls standing at the lockers.

Victoria? No... I'm so not her type. Well, all the guys in the school are after her. So.

Sunny? Sungmin thought, scanning the lockers. Then he shuddered. He didn’t have anything against Sunny, she was just too.... Sunny?

"Sungmin?" Sungmin turned around to see Kyuhyun holding a stack of papers. "These are the homework for the week."

Sungmin smiled. "Thanks, Kyu, " he said, looking at Kyuhyun in the eye. He looked very tired, yet happy.

Kyuhyun covered his mouth his hands as he gave a long yawn, tears filling in his eyes.

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun who was now stretching his arms wide and arching his back. Kyuhyun soon returned to his normal position and caught Sungmin looking right into his eyes.

"Uh, I gotta go," Sungmin said quickly. Kyuhyun simply nodded, his eyes never leaving Sungmin.

For the next few days, Sungmin kept getting letters from his secret admirer. He didn’t throw any of it away, oh no. He thought it was Krystal who gave it to him, and he wouldn’t miss a chance like this to get lovey-dovey with her!

"Oh, hey, Krystal." Sungmin leaned against the locker. "Erm.. Do you think if it's okay if we, erm, go out for lunch or dinner one day?" Sungmin asked nervously.

"Oh, erm. I'm sorry, Sungmin, but I've been really busy with studies lately." Krystal said with a frown.

"Studies? But exams just ended!" Sungmin protested.

"We've still got some tests coming soon!" Krystal frowned even more.

"Really?" Sungmin challenged. "Tell me, are there any tests coming up? If you didnt want to go out with me this bad, just reject me normally like a normal girl!"

Krystal looked offended, her face spelled it all. She stuck up her nose, slammed the door of her locker shut and stomped off.

Upset, Sungmin made his way to math class. When he sat down, Kyuhyun looked up from his book.

"What's wrong?" Kyuhyun asked.

"None of your business." Sungmin slumped in his seat, pain evident in his eyes.

"Whatever's hurting you is my problem, Sungmin. Friends help each other," Kyuhyun said, looking at Sungmin in the eye.

Sungmin sighed and buried his face in his arms.

"I asked Krystal out and she rejected me...” he mumbled into his arm.

Kyuhyun widened his eyes, his mouth shaped into an 'O'. "Oh, erm.. I'm sorry to hear that, Sungmin." He placed his hand on Sungmin's shoulder.

Sungmin shook his head. "I'm not Krystal's type anyway..." he muttered.

“Don't say that." Kyuhyun pouted, he rested his head on the table as well, facing Sungmin. "You're cute, you're funny, you're good looking, what's there not to like?" Kyuhyun said.

Sungmin immediately bolted right up as he stared at Kyuhyun, "W-What?"

"What what?" Kyuhyun asked. "It's the truth!"

Sungmin giggled at the thought of it. "You're funny Kyuhyun," he chuckled.

"B-But.." Kyuhyun stuttered, then smiled and giggled with Sungmin.