Chapter 11

Living with Danger

“Oh, so it was just a misunderstanding.” Yejin said, relieved.

Hyun Joong had briefly explained that he had accidentally bumped into the men and they had been slightly drunk and had wanted to pick a fight with him. He was hoping this would put any suspicions she had of him to rest.

Yejin found his story quite possible since it had been late and she was glad that he wasn’t someone violent seeing how he had chose to avoid fighting with the men, but one question still bugged her.

“So why was I pulled along?”

Hyun Joong didn’t have a reply for that so he just shrugged and took the last bite of spaghetti before getting up to wash his plate. Yejin decided to let it go since she had finally managed to talk to him and she didn’t want to seem annoying. She  was actually happy that she had managed to have a civil conversation with him and she hoped that this good mood, compared to his usual cold manner, of his lasted. She stared at her empty glass lost in thought when she heard a faint ‘Thank you’. She looked up to see him quickly walking to his room and locking the door. Letting out a soft chuckle Yejin got up to keep her glass in the kitchen.

 

The next day Jaehwa found Yejin humming while drying the glasses behind the counter. He was used to Yejin’s ever present good mood but this seemed excessive even for her. So he went over to her and knocked the side of her head lightly, “What’s with the extra good mood?”

“Yesterday I managed to have a proper conversation with Hyun Joong” she said smiling.

Jaehwa raised his eyebrows in surprise, “Seriously? I thought you said he doesn’t talk much?”

“He doesn’t but I offered some of grandma’s kimchi spaghetti to him yesterday and he managed to say a few sentences” Yejin was still not sure whether she should tell Jaehwa about the incident in the city since it was sorted out now so she let it go.

Jaehwa just nodded and picked up another clothe to help her. He was not entirely comfortable with Yejin talking to this strange guy. He had looked out for her since they were kids and even though they were now young adults he still felt the need to keep an eye on Yejin. Her caring nature was one of her charms and her greatness weakness and people could easily take advantage of her.

Yejin’s shift finally came to an end and she was on her way home when she looked up and saw a full moon shining brightly in the sky. Wanting to take a better look she changed her usual route and started walking towards a nearby park which surrounded a small lake.

It was a bit windy and she had to keep pushing her hair back. She walked through a path which was lined with trees on either side and the wind would blow the fallen leaves around her legs as she walked towards the lake. Entering the clearing she saw the moon shining brightly, its light reflecting on the lake. The strong wind was causing small waves across the lake making the reflection uneven.

The whole clearing was lightly illuminated by the moon and the wind had died down to a gentle breeze. Yejin took a few more steps when she stopped seeing that she wasn’t alone. A figure sat on a bench a little ahead of her, not seeming to notice her presence. Deciding not to disturb the person she took a step back, accidentally stepping on a pile of leaves. Yejin cringed at the noise hoping it hadn’t been too loud but it caught the attention of the person on the bench as he turned around.

Embarrassed she quickly apologized,” I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to disturb you”

“You don’t have to apologize, this is a public park after all.” he replied smiling.


Happy new year to everyone! :)