Why?

Whole Again

~Baaaabe. Time to get up. I love you!~ My eyes fluttered open to my soft alarm that my boyfriend had recorded for me. I smiled, sitting up and turning it off. Today would be a good day, I could feel it. I jumped out of bed, humming to myself as I started the shower. As I was finishing up, my phone started vibrating on the counter of the sink, so I hopped out quickly to answer it, leaving the water running.

“Hello?”

“Hey sweetheart.” I smiled at the smooth, childlike voice.

“Hi Minnie Oppa.”

“How’d you sleep?”

“I would have slept better if you were here.” He chuckled at the pouty tone in my voice.

“I’m sorry. I had a meeting last night. Anyways, do you want to come over today?” I turned off the water in the shower, deciding my water bill was high enough already. “Sure. What time should I be there?” I heard a crash in the background and what sounded like Donghae whining.

“Just a second.” Heard him yell at his dongsaengs to knock whatever they were doing off. I just chuckled. “Sorry, but don’t worry about driving. I’ll come pick you up at ten. You can eat lunch here at the dorm. Kyuhyun’s wanting to play you in Starcraft again. He thinks you cheated last time.”

“I beat that boy fair and square.”

“CHEATER!” came the yell from somewhere else in the room.

“Was that Kyu?”

“Yeah,” Sungmin sighed. “Go away, maknae.” I heard a door close. “Sorry, now we can talk without being disturbed. So, ten o’clock?”

“Sounds good.” I wrapped myself in a towel and headed for my room to get dressed.

“Great!” I giggled at his childish enthusiasm. We were quite for a minute on the line, but I wasn’t worried about it. There were many nights where I would fall asleep just to the sound of his breathing on the line. After a few minutes of silence, he spoke up again, sounding far more serious than he had before.  “Krystal. I love you. You know that, right? You mean the world to me.” I smiled as a warmth spread through my whole body.

“I love you too, Sungmin.” I heard him let out a sigh of relief. After a year and a half, and he still thinks he’s not good enough for me. It made me happy how humble he was.

“Okay! So, I’ll be there at ten to get you. Dress comfy!”

“Alright baby.”

“I love you babe.”

“I love you too. See you at ten!”

“Bye!” he said cutely and I disconnected my phone before tossing it on my bed.

“What did I do to end up with such an amazing man?” I asked myself quietly as I pawed through my closet. By the time I was dressed, it was only a quarter after nine, so I flipped on the TV. Another random talk show was on and I recognized some of the guys from SHINee and Bigbang. That’s bound to be interesting. Chuckling to myself, I flipped it on to the news channel, not really surprised by what came up. Another saseang fan arrested, North Korea’s nut job of a leader acting up like a toddler again. I sighed and went to the kitchen to get some juice, leaving the TV on.

“And now for entertainment news.”  The TV reporter squawked. I grabbed a glass and poured myself some grape juice and headed back for the den. “SM Entertainment announces Super Junior member Lee Sungmin is to enlist for his two years of mandatory service on the seventh of June this year.” I froze, suddenly cold.  What? He’s already signed? That can’t be… “The so called ‘Aegyo King’ has yet to make any comment on the subject.” There was a crash of shattering glass as the cup in my hand hit the ground. The juice splattered the floor, leaving dark stains. A single word echoed through my head

No.

“More on the subject to came soon.” How could he not tell me? The seventh…that was less than a month away. He’d be gone for two years…

I’m not sure when my legs gave out exactly, or how long I was on the floor. I just sat there, staring, with tears tracing lines down my face. I was still there, crying, when I heard a key in the door lock. It opened and Sungmin’s voice echoed through the apartment.

“Krystal? I’m here!” For how much longer? “Krys?” He came out of the entryway. “Krystal!” His soft fingers touched my cheek gently.  “Krystal, sweetheart, are you alright?” I blinked, catching his warm, chocolate eyes.

“Why?” I asked softly. He looked at me with a concerned expression.

“Why what love? Talk to me.”

“A…Army…” It was barely audible. His face paled and he grabbed my hand firmly, his other cupping my face.

“Where did you hear about that?” My eyes flicked to the TV and he sighed. He grabbed my shoulders lightly. “Come on. Let’s get you cleaned up, okay?” He pulled me up and with him to the bathroom. I watched his beautiful face as he wiped the dried tears off of my cheeks.

“Why? Why didn’t you tell me?” I grabbed his hand and pulled it away from my face. “Why? When were you going to tell me?” He stared at me with his large brown eyes.

“…Today.” He put the towel in the sink. “Come on. Let’s go out today. Forget going to the dorm.  We can go out for lunch instead, just you and me.” I stared at him quietly for a minute.

“Okay…Just you and me.” He smiled and pecked my nose.

“Good. Let’s go then.” He pulled me to my feet and we were out the door. The whole day, Sungmin kept trying to get me to forget about his enlistment. He dragged me all over Seoul and in the end, we were curled up on his bed back at the dorms, talking the night away.

“Oppa…Were you really going to tell me today?” He hummed softly, nuzzling into my neck and kissing me gently. His warm breath on my skin rose goose bumps along my arms. He’s avoiding the question. “Sungmin. Please. I need to know.” He sighed and pulled away from my neck, laying back on the pillow facing me.

“Yes, I really was. The meeting last night was to talk about my enlistment date. That’s why I called you to come over today. I asked for time off today to spend it with you to avoid exactly what happened. To avoid you hearing it from the press.” He sighed delicately. “They were faster.” I turned my head to look at him. He was staring back at me, watching me, like he was gauging my reaction. We lay like that, just watching each other, for a long time. I finally broke the stillness and moved in, kissing his lips softly. He was still for a minute before kissing me back. No lust, just the love of two kindred souls. My other half.  He broke the kiss and began trailing gentle kisses down my jaw and neck. I smiled as he behind my ear. He knew how much a loved this.

“I love you, Lee Sungmin,” I whispered.

“I love you too, Krystal Johnson.” He continued trailing kisses down my neck as he ran his hands up my sides. I shivered and pressed myself closer to him. He rolled us over gently so he could hover above me. Nights like this, I knew he truly loved me.

I spent the next two weeks at the Super Junior dorm, just lounging around. Sungmin insisted spending all of his free time with me, be it actually going out and doing stuff or just lying in bed together. For those two weeks, I almost forgot he was scheduled to leave. Then he came home one day, head shaved.

“Hey baby,” he cooed, taking me in a hug.

“Your…hair…” I whispered, reaching up to touch the fuzz on his head. He sighed.

“Yeah. I don’t like it. I miss my hair.” He pouted childishly and I flashed him a weak smile.

“It’s almost time, isn’t it?” I asked quietly. He nodded and took me in a tight hug.

“I’ll be back before you know it. I promise.” I grabbed onto him, starting to cry again. “Shhhh.” He rocked us slowly.

“I love you so much Minnie…”

“I love you too Krys. More than you will ever know.” He took my face in his hands and kissed me softly. “And I always will.” I smiled as he picked me up and carried me to his room.

 

The day was finally here. I stood with the rest of Super Junior as Sungmin saluted the crowd of adoring fans. I kept my hands clenched firmly together as I stared at the ground. My eyes were beginning to blur with the tears I was holding back. As quickly as it started, the sendoff ended and the boys all took their turns hugging Sungmin before he came over to me.

“Krystal…” I looked up at him and he crashed his lips on mine in a passionate kiss that left me breathless when it ended. The fangirls screamed. “I love you. I’ll come back safe. Wait for me.” I nodded and threw my arms around his neck.

“You had better come back safe. And I love you too.” I grudgingly let go of him and he bowed once more to his fans before walking into the training facility. That’s when I let the tears fall. I covered my mouth and turned to Siwon. He took me in a hug and held me as I cried.

“He’ll be back. And we’re here for you until he is. We promise.” The boys took me in a group hug, telling me it would be okay. Two years. Could I really do two years?

 

Over the next week, things got worse. I spent all of my time in my room. Well, Sungmin’s room. He wanted me boarding with his group while he was in the military in case I needed anything, or had the urge to revert back to bad habits. My tears ran dry by the third day and I hadn’t eaten anything substantial all week. I could barely manage to get down the water and toast Wookie brought me in the evening. Not to mention I don’t think I’ve showered since he left. I would just lie on the bed all day and stare at nothing in particular.

A week and a half, and I’m still on his bed.

“Hyung, I’m really worried. She hasn’t moved! She’s losing weight and she looks sick.” Ryeowook .

“We can’t make her do anything.” Heechul.

“She needs to get up! Move around some!” Donghae. Why were they discussing this right outside my door? The door opened slightly. “Bringing her here will help.”

“Krystal?” The fish asked quietly. I didn’t respond. “Krystal. Hey.” He sat on the edge of my bed and pulled the covers off of me. I rolled over and faced the wall. I just want to be alone. He sighed. “Krys, there’s someone here to see you.” I heard someone else walk in.

Really? This is how you’re gonna act?”  I knew that voice. “Not even gonna greet me? Real mature.” I rolled back over and sat up.

“Kaysee?” My voice was hoarse from disuse.

Damn straight. Now, you’re gonna stop sitting there like a bump on a log. You’re gonna take a shower, eat something nice, then you and I are gonna have some girl time.” She grabbed my wrist and pulled me to my feet. My knees gave out and I would have hit the floor if Donghae hadn’t caught me.

“Ah…Sorry. I’m kinda weak right now.” Hae helped me to the bathroom.

“I’ll take care of her from here.” Kaysee shoed the boys away. “Go make lunch.” She shut the door and turned back to me. “Since when are you this pathetic? You’re as bad as Bella in New Moon!”  I looked away from her. “Alright. Let’s get you cleaned up.” She the shower and helped me out of my shirt. I was hesitant to take my pants off though. “Krys. Take them off.” I shook my head. “Krystal.”

“No,” She got in my face.

Pants. Now.” I sighed and started shimmying them down my legs. “Good gir- Krys! What have you done to your legs?”  I tried to cover the angry scabs with my hands, but she was having none of it. Remember those bad habits I was talking about earlier? “When did you start again?” I looked down at the cuts.

Two days after Sungmin left…” Kaysee sighed.

What would he say about this, huh? The same thing he said the first time.”

“I know!” I was crying again. “Kay, I’m so empty without him!” I clawed at the skin over my heart. “I hurt…It hurts…”

“Krys. He’s coming home. He’s not gone forever.” She wrapped me tightly in her arms. “He’ll be back for you. But you need to stop this. Talk with the boys. Go out some! You need to live while he’s away.” She held me in her arms as I cried.

Kaysee, I need help…”

“You have me and the boys. We’ll take care of you. I promise.” She rocked me until I calmed down. “Okay. Let’s get you in the tub.” She took her time washing my hair and body and I was relaxing for the first time since Sungmin left. When we were done and I was dressed, she dragged me out into the den. “I got her!” All of the heads in the room shot up and looked at me with smiles.

“Krystal!” Ryeowook bounced over to me and game me a hug. “It’s good to see you up and about again.” I gave him a weak smile. “We made you lunch!” I smiled again. I can try to get that sense of normalcy back.

 

Two months. It’s been two months since he left and now I’m throwing up every morning.

“Krys…” There was a knock on the door of the bathroom. I groaned, laying down on the cool tile. The door opened and Kaysee came in. “Krys, I got you some pregnancy tests. You need to take one.” I shook my head.

I’m not pregnant.” She gave me one of her looks and I sighed. “Fine. Open me one.” She tore open the package and handed me a small white stick. “I’ll be out in a second.” She nodded and left me to let me take the test. I took it quickly and set it on the sink. “There’s no way I could be pregnant…I’m on the pill!” I whispered to my reflection. Ten minutes ticked by slowly. When the time was up, I took a breath and turned over the stick, uncovering it with shaky hands. Blue. A blue plus sign. I’m pregnant…I stumbled into the den where Heechul and Kaysee were flirting. They looked up at me standing there.

“What’s up Krystal?” Hee asked.”

“I’m…I’m. It’s…blue…” Kaysee gasped and ran at me, tackling me in a hug.

“Congrats!” She cheered happily.

“What’s blue?” Heechul asked. Kaysee let go of me and held up the test strip.

“This! Krystal’s going to be a mommy!” Heechul gasped and took me in a bone crushing hug.

“yay! I’m gonna be and uncle! Who’s the dad?” I was quiet for a moment.

“Sung…Sungmin…” I whispered. Heechul smiled.

“Aw, that kid. He’ll be happy to hear this! Whenever we can get a hold of him, that is.” I just nodded. “Your kid is going to be fabulous! I’ll make sure of that!” He kept going on about what he would do with the child when it was born. All of this seemed so surreal. My boyfriend was going to be gone for two more years and I’m going to have his baby…while he was gone…All of my emotions hit me at once and I fainted.

 

The nine months are finally up and I’m holding my newborn child in my arms as the boys brought us home. As usual, the front of the dorm was swarming with fans who mobbed the van as we pulled up. Security quickly got them under control and the boys protected me and my child as we got out. It was then that I witnessed one of the most amazing things I had ever seen. All of the members of the crowd dropped silent when they saw me and the little bundle in my arms. For a moment, everything was still. Then, one person started clapping, quickly followed by a few more until the whole crowd was clapping and cheering for us. My eyes began to tear up as we were ushered inside.

The days move quickly now as I have someone else to take care of as well. Eunmi, my little daughter, already has the boys wrapped around her little finger. They’d do anything for her. We’ve already begun the countdown to Sungmin’s return as well. As the day grows closer, I grow more and more anxious. How will he react when he sees that he’s a father? Eunmi tugged on my hair and I smiled down at her.

“Hey sweetheart.” She smiled and gurgled cutely at me. She got her father’s looks. “You get to meet your daddy soon. I know you’ll love him. He’s the most wonderful man in the world.” I spoke softly to her and she continued to giggle. I couldn’t help but smile at her.

 

The two years are finally up and we stood waiting for Sungmin’s regiment to be dismissed. Eunmi was dressed in a soft pink dress with her pixie haircut decorated with silver butterfly clips. I sat her on my hip and she giggled as we waited. When the order to disband was given, Sungmin turned and ran to us, stopping short when he saw Eunmi.

“Krystal? Who…who is the little one?” I walked up to him slowly and kissed his cheek. I was hurt when he was hesitant to move. Eunmi reached out for him.

“Jagiya, meet your daughter, Eunmi,” I said quietly, my heart racing in my chest. Sungmin’s eyes widened and he stared at the smiling child.

“M-mine?” I nodded and after a minute, a smile broke out on his face. He took Eunmi in his arms and kissed her nose. She squealed in delight. “Hello Eunmi. I’m your daddy.” I felt my eyes water. I don’t know what I was worried about in the first place. He smiled up at me with shining eyes and a huge smile. “She’s beautiful.”

“Just like you.” He took me around the waist and pulled me to him, kissing me gently.

“Just like you, love,” he murmured back. Eunmi laughed and Sungmin and I chuckled with her.

“Smile!” Donghae yelled. We looked up at him as he snapped a picture of us. “You are so gorgeous!” He said in English, one of the only phrases he knows. We all laughed and I smiled up at Sungmin again.

“Welcome home, Daddy.” Sungmin grinned at me and kissed me softly. 

~~~~~~

I am so sorry about my horrible job updating recently. I'm swamped with stuff pertaining to graduation. BUT! Hopefully soon I will back to a seminormal update schedule. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this! Not one of my best works, but I think it came out alright!