GUPPIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEASLDFASdf

Playing Favorites

 

"Just a little bit more and—perfect!" you declare marveling your handiwork on your human canvas. Jongup grins crookedly at you, a beacon of human perfection thanks to your "magic brush" (as he calls it). You feel proud that you've managed to make him look even better than usual (let's be honest here, Moon Jongup is a good looking kid) with your make-up expertise. He never fails commend you on what a great job you do for him and the rest of his fellow members, on the sporadic occasions you do touch ups and what not for them (you've worked your way up to a "senior" positions of sorts), to add to your sense of accomplishment and self-esteem. That happy-go-lucky puppy-dog look of his makes you feel like such a... a...

Noona.

The kid's cute, no doubt about it but, he's that dongsaeng, your little "Guppie," who you've taken upon yourself to take care of over the others (Yongguk's obviously busy managing their giant maknae and Himchan's no help so, you figure one of their closer noonas you may as well keep an eye on their most oblivious member). You personally like his calm and shy demeanor in favor of the others' more rambunctious tendencies. Not to mention he's just a complete sweetheart and coming to work is the peak of your day whenever he gives you one of his soft compliments and thank you's. Ugh, this kid is the absolute nicest boy alive and you just want to pinch his cheeks and hug him to death—

 

You baby him too much, basically.

You don't think he minds (or notices, to be completely honest), Jongup always has that adorable smile of his that just brightens your day with his positive energy.

"Wow, thanks noona, I look like an idol now!" Jongup jokes as he rises out of his seat. You step aside to let him join s, already on set to shoot, with a roll of your eyes.

"Oh please, you do a good job of that on your own. I'm just here to make you pretty." you reply giving him a light push toward the set. "Now get going before you get in trouble." You are not about to let Jongup get reprimanded for not being prepared for a High Cut shoot. No sir, you are not going to be one of those noonas. The member you're in charge of will be an on time, camera ready idol that blows his hyungs and maknae out of the water.

Okay so, you might be just a tad bit biased toward your self-declared dongsaeng.

What can you say? The kid’s grown on you since B.A.P's debut. You've been with them since the start, one of the few make-up artists who haven't been switched out on the members' own insistence (Jongup in particular—probably because he's the member you're in charge of). You still remember meeting him on the day of his first teaser shooting and how absolutely terrified he was. Your heart just went out to him seeing how utterly uncertain and nervous the poor kid was. You made sure to give him the best pep talk in the history of the world as you did his make-up (literally the single best spiel of confidence boosting and self-esteem inducing ever to be given in just twenty minutes, if you do say so yourself). Since then you've been his make-up artist, number one cheerleader, and, somewhat protective, noona (no way in hell are any of those crazy fangirls getting their hands on your precious Guppie, no sir, none of them will ever lay a finger on those abs they want on him).

Like the good noona you are you usher him to the set quickly before the photographer throws a hissy fit. With one final push you wish Jongup luck with an always appropriate thumbs up. He grins, eyes lowered but very obviously pleased as he turns back toward the set. You smile idly to yourself in turn as you watch him find his place among the participating members. Himchan, still out of commission, stands at the side and says nothing as you take the space beside him.

The two of you have an odd relationship. The best way to describe it would be like bickering siblings, maybe even an old squabbling couple. It’s purely fun and platonic though. He’s that friend you like to poke and prod constantly for the fun of it.

“How’s the hand?” you ask, genuinely curious (though you’re prepared to make it into an “insult off” if need be). He just shrugs, eyes glued on his other members like the good concerned hyung and friend he is. Miffed you do the same, a little put out that you didn’t get to push his buttons like you wanted to. Letting that go you direct your attention to each of the boys. All the boys look great, they’re naturals at this. A year of doing this and look where they are now. Not a single awkward pose or freeze up. You remember their first photo shoot when Jongup could barely do anything without direction, let alone keep a straight face. A swell of pride fills you as you watch him go from pose to pose like a pro.

Ah, your little Guppie is growing up…

"You look like a proud mother." Himchan comments with an amused, sideways glance.

"At least I don't look like the scary ahjumma down the street." you retort eyes wandering the set and finding themselves back on Jongup. He's doing so great; you can't help but watch him. His enthusiasm to do well is evident as he focuses on the clicking of the camera and the members around him. Never doing the same thing twice you're more than impressed with the usually awkward Jongup.

Oh lord, these pictures are going to be amazing when they're printed.

You don't notice Himchan following your gaze and snickering.

"I see mom has a favorite." he points out with a sly grin. You punch him on the arm (it's his good one so you don't feel bad either). While he's rubbing his arm with the same look you take the time to retaliate, defensive.

"I don't play favorites, you're all my favorites! Except you, you're not. I guess that does mean I play favorites, just not with you.” you say with an innocent smile. Himchan rolls his eyes and blatantly points at Jongup, thankfully too preoccupied with shooting to notice.

"I believe that favorite is your actual favorite. Maybe even a bias or whatever those girls call us." he concludes with a wave of his good hand. You snort, incredulous.

"Please, the kid's cute and all but, he's not one to go for noonas—I don't think. Besides, I'm not interested beyond a concerned noona for her dongsaeng." you explain with a shake of your head, still watching said dongsaeng. Himchan is unconvinced, grin curving into a smirk.

"What if I told you he is one for noonas?  Or is he so dongsaeng-zoned you'll never even consider that as a possibility?" he challenges leaning down by your ear. You turn to him startled by his assumption.

"He's not—I don't—he isn't 'dongsaeng-zoned.'" you sputter entirely caught off guard.

"So, you would date him then, if he were to have the balls to ask?" Himchan shoots back bluntly. He waits patiently for your reply, far too entertained by the steadily rising color to your cheeks.

"I-I don't know! He's-he's..." you glance back at Jongup by habit. They're taking a short break on the set, the boys messing around with each other and having fun (you love that about them, how brotherly and honestly friendly they are). Jongup catches your eye, looking up from Junhong locked in his "Cheeto" arms. He smiles at you, that kind of adorably dorky crook of his lips with just a hint of teeth. You smile back with a small wave, one he returns with shy enthusiasm just to duck his head right after. Himchan observes the exchange with a smug smirk, daring you to say something against what he said. You stubbornly take the silent dare, "He's my dongsaeng, and I care about him like a little brother. I've honestly never thought of him as anything else."

Himchan nods his head slowly, turning back to the set.

"I see." is all he says. The conversation is dropped for the rest of the shoot, though you can tell he's still entertaining himself the idea. You ignore Himchan's periodic smug sideways glances at you and keep your eyes trained on the members on set. It takes a lot more willpower that you thought to consciously avoid staring at Jongup (old habits die hard).

But, boy is he cute...


"Hey, how'd I do?" Yongguk asks with his infamous gummy smile. If Himchan is the sibling you bicker with Yongguk is the one you get along with like partners in crime (the amount of stupid things you've done together is pretty impressive actually). You've known each other before either of you got into the entertainment business, as far back as his, also infamous, Tigger days. You slap a hand over your heart and stagger back exaggeratedly.

"Oh my god, my poor fangirl heart! You were so hot! I think I'm going to pass out! Oppa, I think you broke me!" you exclaim throwing yourself on him like the dying fangirl you're channeling from the depths of your endless sarcasm. Yongguk catches you and laughs, mostly embarrassed. You laugh with him and straighten up, bumping your shoulder against his. "Seriously though, you did great. You're not such an awkward lump anymore! That's something right?" you tease, getting an eye roll.

"Thanks, I'm touched. Oh, by the way, good job with Jongup. Keep that up and I might want you as my make-up artist instead." he jokes right back at you. Though it's a joke you find yourself getting, well, territorial.

"No way, I'm not leaving Guppie with some other make-up artist noona who may or may not try something on his obliviousness and good body. Nope, I work for Jongup and Jongup only." you declare almost harshly, protective instinct kicking in. Yongguk holds up his hands in surrender, taking a step back to add to his non-hostile show.

"Alright, alright, I'll back off—jeez, now I really wish I did have you as my make-up artist, your loyalty is frightening. No wonder Jongup's so fond of you." he says grinning and lowering his hands.

For whatever reason, you feel the heat of a light blush dust your cheeks.

"Yeah-yeah, whatever, I just do my job like you do." you mumble finding it difficult to face the teasing look on your closest friend's face. You know that Jongup likes you—not in that way—he's said it himself many times. But hearing someone else say it, especially phrased this way, just makes you a little flustered. Jongup's fond of you. That's very… Jongup of him. No, he wouldn't be the type of person to "like something a lot" he'd be more of a person be "grow fond" of things. He's fond of you, so fond of you

 

You immediately cut off that train of thought and give Yongguk your best stab at sarcastic arrogance.

"Of course he is! I'm the best noona in the world! Are you just bitter because the kid loves me more than you? Has his favorite hyung been replaced by his favorite noona~?" you jeer jokingly, poking Yongguk's chest with your finger. The replaced hyung rolls his eyes again and looks around you rather than retort.

"I dunno, why don't you ask him yourself?” Yongguk says nodding his head behind you. You turn to see Jongup half-jogging toward you, beaming with how thrilled he must be from his great shoot. An odd squeaking noise escapes you and you turn back around, unsure what that reaction even was. Yongguk quirks a brow at you, eyes flickering between you and the approaching Jongup.

"Hey, hyung, you did amazing on set! I'm jealous. You're too good at everything, actually." Jongup jokes settling beside you and grinning at his gummy leader.

"Don't be, you were great! Ask ______, she'll vouch for me." Yongguk replies pulling you into the conversation. Jongup tilts his head just slightly as he waits for your confirmation, really resembling the puppy you always compare him to. Good lord, how cute can this kid be?

Clearing your throat you nod and pat him on the shoulder, a noona gesture.

 

"You looked good out there, I was really impressed. I'm proud of you, kid." you manage without giving away your strange mess of feelings. Jongup's smile seems to dampen at your words, just barely noticeable but, you know his face so well you can easily see the difference. It makes you wonder if you said something wrong. All you did was compliment him by giving him your honest opinion. Was he expecting something else or..?

"Thanks, ______ noona." he mumbles, sincere as ever despite the slight fall of his bright smile. You purse your lips and pull him by the arm, throwing a careless goodbye to Yongguk over your shoulder. Half-dragging Jongup out of the large room you tell whatever intern you see that you're going out for lunch and will be back in time for the next round of shooting. Making it clear that you're only going a block or two away, to call if something comes up, and tell manager Kang where you are so he doesn't flip all his crap in a catastrophic freak out (it's happened once before and you never want to experience that again) you continue on. Pushing out of the room you tow a confused Jongup along, hand tight around the material of his sleeve, hallway after hallway.

"N-noona, where are we going?" he asks catching up with you, horribly lost. You roll your eyes and stop to properly speak with him. Letting go of his jacket you jab him in the chest with each word with the once occupied hand.

"I'm taking you out for lunch, Guppie. Now, come on," you pull him by the arm again, "we don't have the leisure of time." Once out of the building you start your real trek to the cafe you have in mind. Though he has no problem keeping up with you, Jongup stumbles, unsure which direction you're going so quickly.

"_____ noona, can't you at least tell me where we're going?" he pipes up, somewhat distracted by how close you are. You on the other hand don't even notice the closeness, trying your best to avoid the busy crowds for your hole in the wall destination.

"What's the fun in that? Of course not, just let noona kidnap you, okay?" you reply tiptoeing over the mass of people for a better view.

"That's a little extreme..." Jongup mumbles more to himself than you.

"Just be thankful I'm not one of those rabid fangirls of yours, kiddo." you retort scanning signs for the right one.

 

Pulling Jongup another half block you're happy to see the cozy little cafe. Entering the establishment to the welcoming warmth, you lead your little follower duckling to the right most tables tucked away in the back corner.

Before you can sit down Jongup frees himself from your grasp and pulls the chair out for you. Taken aback you sit very pleasantly surprised by the act of gentlemanliness (not that he doesn't do this normally but, it still never ceases to impress you). Sitting down across from you, Jongup fidgets with his hands either distracted or blatantly avoiding your eye.

"Jongup-ah," he looks up, still fidgeting, "I hope you don't mind that I just dragged you away like that. I wasn't really thinking, I just felt bad that I said something to make you upset. But I had this in mind anyway, I wanted to take my pro dongsaeng out for lunch to show how proud I am of you!" you say in hopes he loosens up. He doesn't, in fact he looks more wound up than before.

"I don't mind... And thank you, _____ noona. I really appreciate this. But, what do you mean you felt bad?" he asks brows knitting and lips pressing together in his confusion.

"When I was vouching for Yongguk, I swear I saw that bright smile of yours fall a little, kid. I wasn't sure if it was something I said or not but, I like it when you're smiling one-hundred percent, not the ninety I saw it at." you explain hoping that strange analogy makes sense to him. It's weird but, that's how you've gone about gauging his constant smile. Depending on what "percent" it’s at that's how you know what mood he's in. And right now he's one-hundred percent confused.

"Oh..." he glances down at the table in thought, mulling over your words. It's that same expression as before though, that almost dissatisfied fall of his face.

"No really, am I saying something wrong? You're doing it again! Help me out kid—"

"Don't call me kid." Jongup cuts in, looking up from the table. You close your mouth, startled by his sudden interjection. In the past year you've known him he's never once cut you off, always listening until the very end of your words (no matter how useless and or dumb they were).

"What?" you ask stupidly, unsure what exactly he means. He hasn't objected to you calling him "kid" before—it's a habit of yours that all your dongsaengs deal with.

"Don't call me kid anymore, it's like you're belittling me." he repeats with a hard look at the dainty floral centerpiece between you.

Okay, what's up with your sweet little Guppie?

"Jongup-ah, what's wrong? Are you mad at me? Did I do something to really upset you?" you ask worriedly. You sincerely hope not, you love this kid—Jongup, not kid—like a brother and you'll be devastated if he suddenly gives you the cold shoulder and doesn't get so much as a warning.

He doesn't answer right away, eyes still staring into the daisies, worrying you more. It's disconcerting to see him like this, so serious. You don't like it. It doesn't suit your Guppie.

"Ki—Jongup-ah, give me something to work with here, you're killing me." you plead, narrowly missing catching your mistake. He shakes his head, eyes flickering up to meet yours briefly.

"I'm not a kid, don't treat me like one..." he mumbles, resuming his fidgeting. An awkward silence falls heavily at your table, the sound of other customers and gurgling from coffee machines serving as the only noise between you and a purposely distracted Jongup.

This isn't what you had in mind when you dragged Jongup out for lunch...


Neither of you say anything again until just before reaching the doors of the set. Of course it's you, in attempt to appease the uncomfortable tension still lingering between you.

"Jongup, I don't mean to belittle you or make you feel like a child. It's just a habit of mine. You know that—even Daehyun knows that. But, if it bothers you so much I won't do it. Just know I don't think you're a child, just because you're a few years younger than I am doesn't mean I don't see you for the man that you are." you blurt torn up by this unfamiliar silence. To recover from your mesh of guilty words you place a hand on his shoulder, your noona gesture, praying he responds. Jongup finally looks you in the eye after an hour of avoiding it, lips still in that half-pout of his, but better than before.

You also notice a faint tint of color on his cheeks but you pass it off as the lighting.

"Thanks, ______ noona..." he replies softly, a small hint of his smile tugging at his lips.

"No problem, I just need you to communicate with me. I'm not a mind reader, I can't figure out what you're thinking just from looking at your face all the time. You're still an enigma to me, Moon Jongup, but that's why I like you so much." you say giving him a light push with your hand, "Now, come on, I've got to retouch that face of yours before I get fired."

"I wouldn't let them fire you." Jongup states seriously without missing a beat. You give him a gracious smile.

"Thanks, Guppie, glad noona can depend on you."


"You know, you're kind of really stupid." Himchan muses beside you. You're back in your spot beside him, the shoot picking up where it left off. You place a hand over your heart to feign hurt.

"Ouch, that hurt right here, Channie." you say giving him your best heartbroken face. He rolls his eyes and nods his head at, presumably, Jongup in the bunch before you. Your eyes have no trouble picking him out of the group, even with a hood and sunglasses on. Being completely serious, you could probably pick him out in a group of a thousand people with the same hair and clothes in a matter of seconds.

You know your Guppie.

"I thought he was going to have a heart attack when I saw you drag him away. He looked petrified." Himchan says giving you an expectant look. What, does he want an explanation or something?

But, first of all, is that why Jongup was acting kind of weird?

"Why would he? It's not like I haven't done that before, he knows I enjoy dragging people away to join me on my useless adventures." you reply shrugging. Useless adventures indeed, just ask Yongguk, he's suffered through most of them.

"Because you beat him to it." Speaking of Yongguk, he's right into your conversation without your notice. Turning to him you note the others mulling around the set, on a break probably, behind him then knit your brows. Where's Jongup?

"Beat him to what?" you ask still searching the set for your unaccounted dongsaeng.

"Asking you out to lunch." Yongguk answers as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"He's been working up the nerve all day." Himchan adds right after.

You blink.

"Work up the nerve? Why, I'm not intimidating and it's not like I would've said no. I love being with Guppie!" you protest brows knitting closer together. You don't get it, why would Jongup, who knows better than anyone how much you adore him, be nervous to ask you to lunch? It's not that big of a deal, going out to lunch.

Unless...

"Wow, you're even worse than Jongup. Maybe you've somehow absorbed his oblivious and now both of you suffer from can't brain." Himchan theorizes with sarcasm dripping off his every word. You narrow your eyes at him but say nothing, preferring to get an explanation from Yongguk instead of getting into a spat.

"Yeah, Himchan's got a point, though he could've phrased it better." your "better sibling" who was supposed to save you says, siding with the "bickering sibling."

"What does this betrayal even mean?" you exclaim not getting anything that they've told you. The two exchange a glance, Himchan nodding his head to the right. Seeming to get whatever signal that is Yongguk turns to you to, hopefully, to clear up your confusion.

"Go ask Jongup, he's outside for some air. It'd be best to hear from him about this instead of us." he points out prompting you to do so. Getting pushed on the shoulder you turn with it and huff to yourself still not sure what the heck is going on. Crossing the expanse of the set to the door you chance a look back at the two you left behind.

Two has become three, Junhong towering over his hyungs and not so discreetly looking at you. Catching your eye he just grins innocently and waves his hands toward the door, coaxing you forward from afar. Perturbed you purse your lips and continue on, wishing you didn't looked back.

Pushing out into the much cooler hallway you peek around the door for Jongup. He's not there. Closing the door you pad down the hall to look for him.

"Jongup-ah, where are you?" you call already at the other end of the hallway. Where could this kid—Jongup, not kid—have wandered off to?


Walking for a good ten minutes, even going up and down the stairs a few times, you begin to wonder if Jongup is even out here anymore. Maybe he went back to the set because he got bored or something. You figure you should do the same, giving up on your aimless search.

You get stopped just short of the door on your trek back by the arm. Startled you let out a small squeak and instinctively pull away. In your haste to free yourself you don't take the wall's proximity into account and back into it, hitting your head hard against it.

"_-______ noona, are you okay?! I didn't mean to scare you like that! I'm so sorry!" Jongup apologizes profusely, holding you up by your elbows. You latch onto his forearms and try to stay upright, disoriented by the throbbing in the back of your head and dependent on the wall.

"Ah... Don't worry about it, I'm alright—I think." you assure, less than convincing. Wow, your head really hurts right now. It's a superficial pain though. You know it'll clear up in a minute or so. But, that doesn't mean it's not killing you right now.

"Are you sure? You don't look okay, ______ noona. Maybe you should take the rest of the day off, I can go tell Kang manager—"

"No, I'm fine. I will not have you handed off to some other noona." you snap, trying to stand without the wall's help. You barely away but Jongup panics and replaces your arms for your waist, anchoring you in his strong grasp.

Unintentionally the two of you have been drawn closer together, there's only so much space that can be between you with his hands on your waist. It doesn't help that Jongup's looking at you so intently with concern either. You can see the guilt in his eyes, the dark coffee color of his irises reflecting the unnecessary fault he feels.

There's a sudden jump in your chest that startles you, your breath catching.

"Jongup, we should go back inside." you say despite the dull throb of your head that demands otherwise.

 

Ugh, this isn't helping whatever this is.

"A-actually..." Jongup's eyes skirt away from yours, his composure diminishing to his shy nervousness. It feels weird to have him be this way to you, he's usually comfortable and more open. He can't seem to continue, still avoiding your eyes and nibbling at his bottom lip. It takes a lot more effort to look away that usual, though you're not sure why.

"What is it, Jongup? You—"

"Ireallyreallylikeyou______noona!"

"—can tell... Me..." you trail off, eyes wide and unable to close your mouth at his outburst. Seeing your reaction Jongup ducks his head and quickly distances himself, hands leaving your waist. You can see the tips of his ears burning, bright with embarrassed color. You can feel some color of your own staining your cheeks, suddenly flustered.

"J-Jongup, I... You—"

"N-never mind, forget it! I didn't—you don't have to—just—I didn't say anything!" he stammers, entirely uncertain and panicking. This is the most unhinged you've ever seen him, his fidgeting becoming an inability to hold still in his nervousness.

"You like me..?" you repeat, stunned. The words are still trying to register in your stupefied mind.

Jongup... Jongup just said he liked you... A lot... He... Jongup... Your precious dongsaeng...

Your thoughts are cut off by Jongup word vomiting out of pure anxiety, a nervous wreck by this point.

"Y-yeah... I-I have for a long time, actually... You probably don't like me, that's fine. I just—I just... Really like you, noona... That's why I didn't want you to baby me... I thought, if I could be more of a-a man to you, you might like me... But, I get it if you don't want to be with me—well, not be with me but you know, not like me because I'm younger than you. Himchan hyung said that might happen, I don't know, some girls just don't like dongaengs I guess... And there isn't much about me to like anyway... Yeah, just forget I said anything. You're not interested and I—"

On a whim, on an instinctive and probably stupid whim, you do the only thing that'll effectively shut Jongup up. In one swift movement you grab the front of his jacket and bring him down to you. The noise of surprise he makes is smothered by your lips on his, though you can barely hear anything over the sound of your heartbeat in your ears as is.

It takes a moment for him to respond but when he does he does so without hesitance, nervousness completely forgotten. Encouraged, he kisses you back eagerly, his hands drawing you closer by the waist. Whatever mixed feelings you had for Jongup become clear as you respond just as enthusiastically, your heart beating a thousand miles per hour.

It's not until the door swings open with a resounding bang against the wall that you stop. Springing apart, both a little breathless, you turn to the door opening offender. You try to ignore the burning of your face and Jongup's hands still on your waist, which only makes the burning more acute.

Himchan (of course it's him!) grins, that stupid knowing look of his plastered all over his stupid face.

"Did I or did I not tell you that you play favorites?" he says highly amused and far too pleased with himself.

"Would you rather be my favorite instead? Come here, Channie, let me give you a big kiss too!" you threaten without the impact you were going for. Not going over to attack Himchan in favor of staying in Jongup's arms didn't really sell the "I'll get you" aspect of your empty threat. You don't mind though, losing one round of your never ending war is worth staying right here with your Guppie.

Himchan knows this and snorts.

"Wow, okay, no thanks. I'll be throwing up in the fruit bowl if you need me." he says waving a passive hand at the two of you, apparently losing interest after the initial discovery. Pulling the door closed behind him, you and Jongup are left alone in the hallway again, Himchan off to ruin that poor by-standing bowl of fruit.

Jongup speaks up first, his hands lifting off your sides, tentative.

"So... Are we... Does this mean we're a couple now..?" he mumbles, eyes wandering again. You don't say anything but step into him, your arms around his strong middle as you chin rests on his shoulder.

"It doesn't really matter," you feel his shoulders say just a little, disappointed. You smile and nuzzle into the crook of his neck. "Either way you're stuck with me because I've claimed you as my favorite of favorites." you finish happily surrounded by Jongup's pleasant musk.

"I can live with that..." he murmurs, arms more securely around your waist.

So can you, but first—

"Alright, now that we've got that established get your inside before I hit you with a brush again." you say pulling out of his embrace. Unprepared Jongup, falls victim to your noona instincts as you, quite literally, drag him through the doors.

"Ah-ah, _-______ noona!" Jongup complains stumbling behind you. You just march on, smiling idly to yourself.

Yeah, you can definitely live with this and your favorite of favorites.