Learning the Ropes

Fragments of the Heart

"In case you don't know how these kinds of things work, let me explain to you the basics. First, hide a couple of weapons all around your body and clothes. This is extremely important because you can never know when you'll be attacked," Jongin explains the procedure, totally dismissing the fact that Yoona used to do this too. The two of them are currently in a car with Jongin driving.

Yoona rolls her eyes at that but she does not comment anything. Besides, it does not hurt to know how Bloody Phoenix prepare themselves whenever they are about to do a drug deal with an important client. That way, the police will know what to watch out for when they ambush them.

"Secondly, if you sense something is fishy, run away immediately. Our safety and secrecy are what matter the most. The drugs and the money are our second priority. Take whatever you can during an escape but leave everything if time does not allow it. You may think that we belong in big gang and our boss will reprimand us for any monetary losses but no, our boss cares for our secrecy the most. He doesn't want to get caught so if the police ambush you, just leave the drugs and money alone if you can't take any of it," Jongin continues. "What matters is the fact that none of Bloody Phoenix members will get caught and reveal what they know to the police."

Yoona cannot help but to compare the way Bloody Phoenix works with the way her old gang used to work. Thorns was a cruel gang and whoever did anything that resulted in any monetary loss would be punished. Maybe that is why the gang is caught by the police quite easily. She notes that the boss of Bloody Phoenix is very intelligent.

"Your gang works differently than mine used to," she comments. She winces as soon as she realises how wistful she sounds and she knows that Jongin hears the wistfulness in her voice too but he chooses not to say anything.

Luhan has told Jongin to teach Yoona the ropes in the gang in hopes that the two of them will get along better and so far, Yoona doubts that she will ever get along with him. The guy looks down on her and he speaks in a condescending tone to her even though she is pretty sure she is older than him.

"Thirdly, just keep quiet unless they ask you a question about the drugs that we're selling. Considering the fact that you don't know anything yet about the drugs that we're selling, just keep your mouth shut and let me answer whatever questions they ask," the guy says, ignoring her comment.

Yoona snorts at his instruction. "You do realise that I most probably know more about drugs than you, right?" she asks in a cranky tone, unable to take the way Jongin treats her. "I grew up in a world that revolves around drugs, alcohol, ion and fights, Jongin. I've been in this world longer than you so don't act like I'm stupid."

Jongin raises an eyebrow at her. "I don't mean it like that," he says, his tone softening at last. "What I mean is, you're new to Bloody Phoenix so you probably don't know how exactly we work. You don't know how we do our business."

The young woman keeps quiet at his explanation. She simply nods in response, not knowing what to say.

"I told you that I've been in Bloody Phoenix all my life, right?" he asks rhetorically but Yoona nods anyway. "It , doesn't it, to be bornt into this kind of environment, not having a choice but to obey what our superiors tell us?"

She sub-consciously touches her shoulder, where her tattoo is placed. She turns to look at the young man next to her who is focused on the road so that they will not get into an accident. "If you were to have a chance to choose in which environment to be bornt in, would you choose to be bornt in the underworld?" she asks, tilting her head slightly.

Jongin emits a small sigh. "Of course not," he says it like it is the most obvious answer in the world. "Who, in the right mind, would want to choose that? That would be so freaking stupid of that person. You know, I feel envious of those who can live happily without any danger. I feel that those people who lead a good life but want to enter the underworld are stupid. If you have a good life, keep it and don't waste it."

The way he says it is so bitter that it evokes Yoona's own bitterness. "I agree," she says quietly.

After that, the two of them do not say anything anymore. Jongin drives in silence while Yoona looks out of the window. The atmosphere between them is not as hostile as before but it does not mean that they are already on friendly terms. It will take time for Yoona to get him to trust her. After gaining his trust, she will definitely know more about Bloody Phoenix since he after all, has been in the gang since birth.

At the moment, she feels a little bit guilty because she will betray their trust after gaining it. She will crush their trust using her own bare hands and she has no choice but to do it. It is then, she remembers that the police have placed another spy in the gang. She turns towards Jongin. "Hey, who joined your group before I did?" she questions.

The guy does not say anything for a moment. It seems that he is trying to figure out why she is suddenly asking. "Jinri did," he replies at last.

Yoona freezes as soon as she hears his response. It can't be Jinri, right? The police will not place a female spy in the gang, right? That will be stupid. Not that she is a ist or anything but she is merely stating a fact. If the spy’s identity is found out, the spy will be easily defeated if it is a female but if it is a guy, he will be able to put up a strong fight and might have a chance to escape. She really hopes that the spy is not Jinri.

"You want to know more about our group, don't you?" Jongin asks, emphasising on the word 'our'. Yoona looks at him in surprise. She knows that it is his own way of telling her that he has already accepted her in the group. A small victorious smile touches her lips and she nods.

"What I'm about to tell you right now is top secret. You can't reveal it to anyone at all. Promise?" he says and Yoona almost laughs out loud.

"I promise," she says. "Cross my heart and hope to die." She shakes her head at herself. She knows that she will break the promise so why did she have to add 'cross my heart and hope to die' part? That is unnecessary and will only ensure her a one-way ticket to hell. But if it is with good intentions, will she go to hell? She does not know and she does not want to think about it.

Jongin nods, trusting her completely. Yoona cannot believe how gullible he is. Or maybe it is just she who is cunning and manipulative. She likes to think that he is gullible, instead. "Sehun is the son of our boss. You know, the boss of everyone. The person in charge of Bloody Phoenix," he tells her. "And I'm his childhood friend. Well, my family is indebted to his family so my whole family have to work for his family and somehow we became friends."

"As for Luhan, I'm not that sure. He has never told us his story. He's always the listener, you know? Rumours have it that he's in the gang because Sehun's father holds something over him and if he doesn't want that thing to go to the media, he will have to work for him," Jongin continues as Yoona listens.

"Taeyeon, just like me, has been in the gang since birth while Soojung was forced to join when she was seven years old. Her family sold her off to pay their debts and the girl was actually trained to be a e but somehow she had to enter the drugs section instead," he goes on.

"Yixing and Jongdae were friends even before they joined and they still are good friends. They decided to join together because they wanted to rebel. I don't know if they regret their decision or not but even if they do, they've gone too far to go back. If they try to leave, Sehun's father will most probably kill them because they know too much," he says after taking in a deep breath.

"I don't know much about Jinri, to be honest," he says truthfully. "She joined before you did and we aren't that close. It's most probably because she looks too delicate for this kind of job but she proved us wrong so many times so we accepted her."

Judging by Jongin's words, the probability that the other spy is Jinri is high. Luhan, Jongin, Sehun, Soojung and Taeyeon are out because they have been in the gang since they were young. Jongdae and Yixing cannot be the spy because they joined together and their intention at that time was to be rebellious. The only one who has a high chance of being the spy is Jinri. She is 99.9% sure that Jinri is the spy.

But of course, the 0.1% might prove her wrong but what are the chances?

Yoona briefly wonders what Jinri has done to gain the trust of the other members of the group. She must ask the young woman as soon as possible. If not, she might never be able to gain their trust. She sighs softly. She really feels bad about betraying them but she has to do it. It is her job to do so. Besides, this is to help Heechul. She has once sworn that she will help him if he needs any help because she is indebted to him.

At last, after what seems like hours to her but it is only half an hour in reality, the two of them arrive at the assigned destination. Yoona grabs the briefcase that contains the drugs that they are supposed to sell to the client. The two of them go out of the car.

The spy looks around her and realises that the two of them are at a parking lot near a pub. She glances at Jongin quizzically but the guy just begins walking towards a dark alley that is located right behind the pub.

Truth to be told, Yoona is not scared because she has done this before and she knows that doing a drug deal needs to be located in a secluded place. However, when she sees Jongin head towards the dark alley, she feels that something is terribly wrong. Her instincts are trained to tell her when something bad will happen during a deal.

The young woman quickly catches up with the guy and grabs his arm to stop him from walking. Jongin looks at her, frowning. “What do you want?” he asks irritably.

Yoona hesitates for a second but she is determined to tell him what she feels. After all, he did say that if something seems fishy, run away immediately. “I think the deal won’t go well,” she voices out her concern after a moment.

Jongin raises his eyebrows questioningly but he thinks about it for a second. “Minseok is our most loyal client, Yoona. I don’t think that anything will go wrong. He won’t betray us, I know. But of course, anything could happen so I suggest you to be alert at all times. If something does go wrong, grab your gun immediately. Don’t worry about it that much,” he says, trying to assure her.

His attempt in assuring her fails. The sinking feeling in her stomach tells her that something is definitely wrong. Her intuition screams at her to run away quickly or else, something bad will happen. However, Jongin’s impatient eyes cause her to push the bad feeling away.

Letting out a small sigh, she relents. “Let’s go,” she says, at last. “Let’s hope that nothing bad will happen and we’ll get out of this quickly. I don’t like it here. This place, this situation, screams danger at me and trust me, I’ve been trained to spot dangerous situations.”

Jongin looks at her for a moment before reaching out to squeeze her hand. “Nothing bad will happen, Yoona,” he replies.

But of course, no one knows for sure.


Author's Note: I actually wrote this chapter 4 years ago and had never gotten around to uploading it.