Application

WANTED:WIFE (Hiatus)

 

Two weeks later…

 

 

The issue finally died down. The ever efficient Mr. Lee handled the damage control very well. After Myungsoo read the speech he made in the press conference, Mr. Lee took over and answered all the remaining questions of the reporters, leaving Myungsoo to just stand and smile. They made a very good excuse and in the end, the issue was reduced into a joke that was taken seriously by Myungsoo’s friend. And though some of the reporters were still skeptical, many believed him. So eventually, the issue quieted down.

 

Kim Myungsoo’s life was now back to normal. Well, if working from sunrise until sunset was considered normal. Maybe, it was. For his world, working to death was normal.

 

It was a busy week. The papers piled on his desk were as high as his sky rise building. There was no time to spare. But half-way through the document he was reading, his second secretary entered the room.

 

“Sir, excuse me. There’s a delivery for you.”

 

Myungsoo looked up and saw her put the delivery on the table, “Give it to Mr. Lee. He’s in charge of any deliveries addressed for me.”

 

“I’m so sorry Sir but Mr. Lee is not here right now.” The secretary obviously did not know what she was going to do. Usually, Mr. Lee handled everything that was related to the company’s president but now, she became suddenly in-charge when the he left to take care of some company’s business. Standing in front of this powerful figure was quite intimidating but after a brief pause to organize her thoughts and get back her composure, she picked up the delivery and started to leave.

 

Myungsoo felt his secretary’s confusion and sighed. “No, it’s okay. Leave it here. And then, you may leave,” he ordered, stopping her from taking back the delivery.

 

As his secretary closed the door of the office, Myungsoo curiously stared at the delivery on his desk. It was an envelope, just a little larger than a short bond paper. When he looked at its back, he noticed that the sender was his friend Hoya and it was personally address to him.  

 

Even more curious now, the document he was reading earlier was forgotten as Myungsoo opened the envelope. Inside it, a résumé of a girl named Bae Suzy was enclosed. At first. he was confused. Why would Hoya send him a résumé of an ordinary applicant? What was he thinking? He’s the president of the company for crying out loud! Those things were part of the human resources department’s job and not his! Myungsoo shook his head, regretful of the time he wasted in giving the delivery his attention.

 

He was about to call in his secretary again to get the envelope when his attention was caught by something in the résumé. He let go of the intercom, giving his whole concentration on the paper in front of him.  For five times, he read the application just to check if his eyes were playing tricks on him. But no, the words written there did not change even after several rechecks. His eyes was not playing tricks nor deceiving him. This ‘Bae Suzy’ girl was applying for a very unusual position. A position, not in his company but in his life. A position to become his wife.

 

Evening came but Myungsoo could not forget the unexpected delivery he received that morning. He knew that Mr. Lee should be informed about it but somehow his instincts told him not to.

 

Now, that crazy envelope was resting on his kitchen tabletop. His phone was lying on top of it while its screen was showing a text message from Hoya. Sipping a cup of coffee, Myungsoo read the text message again.

 

Even after your press conference, we’ve received a few applications wanting to be your wife. Some send them just for fun but out of all the applications, hers stood out. In her application, she said that this is for her sick father. So I think her intention for your money is good. You should really consider it. I know that your statement in the press conference is not the real reason you emailed me that night. So think about it, why did you send that email to me? What were you really thinking that night? (Plus, isn’t she lovely?)

 

Myungsoo put his phone down again and glanced at the picture of a girl that he took out from the envelope earlier.

 

‘Yes, why and what?’ he asked himself.

 

***

 

Bae Suzy walked from her workplace to her home. Though she was very tired, she could not afford using the little money she had on a bus fare. While she was walking, Suzy held on the money inside her pocket very tightly. She had to work in four different jobs just to earn that amount. Suzy was the only one that can work in their family as her mother was long gone while her father was sick. The money she earned for today was already divided for their expenses like food, water, electricity and her father’s medicine, which was the most expensive of all and took every penny they’ve got.

 

But today, though it was barely enough, she had managed to save a little for herself. Suzy felt guilty using her savings but she really missed holding a brush, smelling the paint and transforming the blank white canvas into a colorful world that was once only in her head. It was also another reason why she just walked home, so that she could buy painting materials.

 

‘One more block and I’ll be home!’ Suzy excitedly thought, counting the minutes before she could sit in front her easel.

 

When she arrived, Suzy stopped short and wearily looked at the black luxury car parked in front. It was her first time to see a car, luxury or not, parked in front of their humble abode. As she looked at the house, it was bustling with activity and she could hear faint voices from inside.

 

‘Am I missing something?’ mentally asking herself, trying to remember what event she might have forgotten.

 

Suzy slowly entered the house but forgot everything she was thinking when she saw someone sitting on the sofa, his back was her. Thinking that he was her father, she went straight to him and hugged him from behind.

 

“I’m home!” Suzy happily declared. But it gave her a shock of a lifetime when instead of the usual response from her father, she heard a deep male laugh.

 

The man she was hugging untangled himself from her embrace and stood up to face her. He gave Suzy an assessing look from head to toe. “Good! I expect nothing less from my future wife,” he said while arrogantly smirking.  

 


 

Hello there!

I would like to apologize for not updating this story for months.

A very big THANK YOU for being patient and reading this story!

 

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!