Crumpled

The Final Straw

“Don’t do this,” said DongHae, who had blocked all my exits out of our bedroom.

“I’m done, just let me go and live a happy life,” I muttered, staring at the crumpled magazine page on the floor, which had a picture of DongHae and a model together. He had one arm around her and she had one arm around him. That was the final straw for me.

“I know I haven’t been making you happy…”

“Then we’re on the same page,” I said. “Let me pass,” I tried pushing past him but he wouldn’t move. He held out a hand and was about to my cheek but I ducked under his arm and got out of the room.

“YA!” he exclaimed. He spun around and was making my way out - but he was too quick. I dashed into the kitchen and tried going to the back door that lead to the garden. I tried jerking it open but it was locked! Then, I felt a pair of strong arms pull me away from the door.

“YA! GET OUT!” I yelled. I punched him in the chest but he just stared at me. DongHae pushed me back against the sink and I flinched when my back hit the marble counter.

“I hate you, get it?! I HATE YOU!” I pushed him back a little with my index finger. He leaned in closer. “I HATE YOU!” I screamed at the top of my voice.

DongHae’s hand flew past me swiftly and then he lifted his hand up in the air and brought it down. I screamed. Not because I saw something glisten in his grasp, but because I heard glass shattering.

“Are you insane?!” I shouted. I had two hands over my ears. I spun around and saw that the empty glass he had held was no more. The counter was blanketed with some shattered glass and the kitchen floor had some glass pieces as well. There was a splatter of blood on it. I gasped and saw that DongHae’s fist was bleeding.

“D-DongHae…Your hand…” I looked at his fist that was now unclenched. Blood poured from his wound. But…He didn’t seem to care. I quickly grabbed a roll of kitchen towel and dabbed some blood from his hand. I wet a little part of the towel. I looked back at DongHae and he seemed so neutral. He just stared at the mess he made and didn’t say a word.

“Idiot, why did you do that?! Now you’re bleeding, and the glass is all over the place.”

“There’s glass on the back of your shirt…” he muttered.

“What?” I asked. DongHae spun me around with his non-bleeding hand and carefully brushed the glass off my shirt and collected it with his bloody kitchen towel. He threw it in the bin and I aided him more. My hands shook as I picked the glass out of his hand. I felt tears prick my eyes as I helped him.

There was just so much blood… And it was all because we fought…

“Why are you crying?” he asked, his voice, music to my ears.

“Sit on the couch, I’ll go get the First Aid kit,” I replied, ignoring his question. I carefully guided him to the couch. He sat down and I grabbed the First Aid kit from the top kitchen cabinet and a box of tissues that sat on the dining table. I kneeled in front of DongHae and as I cleaned his wound, I felt his gaze on me. When I inclined my head to look at him, our eyes met in an instant. I looked back down hastily and blushed.

“Why are you crying...?” he asked again. This time, the back of his hand brushed the side of my cheek. I shook my head and pulled away from the brief touch. I got out a bandage and carefully wound it over his wound, securing it with the bandage pin. I didn’t look up at him to make sure he was alright. I just kept my mind focused on packing the First Aid kit and cleaning up the mess, which was of course, a lie. My mind was too busy worrying about DongHae’s wound.

As I packed the kit, DongHae kneeled beside me and pressed his forehead on the side of my head.

“Thank you,” he whispered in my ear. I shuddered and got up. DongHae got up as well. I put the First Aid kit to where I found it and spun around, to find DongHae right behind me. I jumped in astonishment.

“What?” I looked at his bandaged hand.

“Do you hate me?” he asked. I blinked.

“Y-Yes, I do,” I replied blankly. I didn’t dare meet his eyes.

“If you hate me, you wouldn’t have aided me,” he brushed his fingers on the side of my neck, pushing some of my hair behind my shoulder.

“Th-That doesn’t matter,” I said, flinching away from him. DongHae was about to trap me but I stepped over the glass and exited the kitchen.

“Please don’t do this,” I begged him, as I ran to our room. DongHae sprinted after me and caught up with me. He held the door and blocked the entrance – and my only exit.

“Why are you doing this?” I asked softly. “Why can’t you just let me go and be happy?”

“I do want you to be happy!” he exclaimed. I looked at the crumpled magazine page that was still on the floor. DongHae followed my gaze.

“It’s not what you think it is!”

“Then what?!” I cried, “What is it?! You had your arms over some other girl – a model, and you’re just going to think I’ll be okay with it?! We’re married for heaven’s sakes! How could you do this to me?” Tears streamed down my face as I grabbed the crumpled page and threw it at DongHae. But with his fast reflexes, he caught it in mid-air and tore it to pieces.

“If I told you I tapped her on the shoulder, and then she turned around and just grabbed my waist and looked at the camera, you wouldn’t believe me!”

“You’re right,” I muttered. “I don’t.”

“But that’s exactly what happened!”

“I don’t care. I don’t want to care,” I turned around so that my back was facing him. I stared out the window. “All this time I cared…I just get hurt in the end.”

“_____... Don’t say that…Please…”

“But it’s true!” I screamed, looking back at him. “I’ve never been happy after our honeymoon! All I got was all these news about you getting hogged by all those models, those ‘ulzzangs’ and those idols, who aren’t even nice. And I just sit here, at home, and watch you play along.” I lowered my shoulders and averted my gaze from him.  “Do you know how much it hurts?” I asked quietly. “I’m not the slightest bit happy.”

“Then let me make you happy,” he said, his voice right behind me. His arms slithered to the front of my stomach and stayed. “If you just hear me out.”

“I don’t need to. I don’t want to. This is just going to happen again.”

“Those girls you saw with me were nothing. They just wanted the attention. That’s how the idol industry works…” He nuzzled his nose in my hair.

“I know how it works,” I muttered.

“______,” he called.

“What.”

“If you really hate me,” he started. He spun me around and held my shoulders. “If you really hate me, would you have taken care of me? When I bled just then, when I fell sick, when I was exhausted…When I…Couldn’t sleep…” He ran his fingers through my hair.

“Yeah? Well, I regret that now,” I mumbled.

Then, I heard DongHae sniffle. I inclined my head and my eyes widened. He was crying.

“Stop saying that!” He gripped my shoulders tighter. “Just stop saying that!” He shook his head and fell to his knees. His hands slid down my arms and they held on to my wrists. “If you leave me…I…I just…I won’t---I won’t live without you. I don’t want to live without you. You’re my wife, ______... You’ll always be my wife…” A tear escaped my left eye. As much as I said I hated him – which I don’t and probably never will – I could never stand and look at him blankly in this state.

I wrapped my arms around him and just…Held him.

He felt so fragile in my arms. Well…He was someone precious to me. Then, I felt DongHae’s arms squeeze me tightly, bringing me closer to him. He cried in my shoulders.

“Don’t leave me…You can’t leave me,” he whispered.

I held the back of his head and rested my chin on his shoulder. I kissed his neck gently and I felt him shudder. His tears kept flowing but he kept silent. Then all of a sudden, he cupped my face and crushed his lips to mine. He slowly got up, pulling me up with him. He carried me up with our lips still locked. He sat on the bed with me on top of him. DongHae wrapped his arms around my hip and pulled me down, crushing our bodies together.

I broke the kiss and panted, caging my arms around him.

“Don’t leave me…” he pleaded, his eyes still teary. I bent down and placed a soft, short kiss on his salty lips. “Just…Hold onto me a little longer…Please…” He pushed my hair behind my ears.

“DongHae…” I lay my head on his chest and hugged him tightly. He cried tears of relief.

“Th-Thank you,” he kissed the top of my head. “Thank you…” He squeezed his arms around me tighter. I kissed his jawline and brushed his tears away with a swipe of my thumb.

“Your hand… How does it feel?” I held his hand and brought it to my lips. But DongHae pulled my hand towards his lips and kissed each of my fingers.

“Much better, knowing that you’re not leaving.”

“You’re such an idiot. Why would you hurt yourself like this?”

“Because,” he lifted my chin and our eyes met. “How else will I get you to admit that you still love me?”

I froze for a moment, and smiled. I kissed his cheek and he turned to face me. Our noses touched and he smiled.

“You know…We’re married right?” I asked.

“For a year…Why?”

I lowered my gaze and curled my fingers in his.

“We never actually talked about how many kids we were going to have.”

DongHae chuckled and combed his fingers through my hair.

“Are you trying to imply something?” he asked.

“N-No! I just…” I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “How many kids do you want?”

“At least two – a boy first, than a girl.”

I rolled my eyes. “Must you be so specific?”

“So that the brother can look after his sister…And not let her get hurt like I did to you,” he looked at me guiltily.

“But still…” I mumbled.

“How many kids do you want?” he asked.

“I haven’t really thought about it. At least two, at most four,” I replied simply.

“Why don’t we have a first one in nine months?” he asked, pushing me to the side.

“But w-we---“But I couldn’t finish. DongHae pressed his lips on mine and I drowned in his kisses. I cupped his face in my hands and he got on top of me.

“I’ll be careful…” he whispered.

“I know,” I replied, his cheek. “I trust you.”

“I’m glad,” he smiled.

And for that moment it felt as though everything were back in place. DongHae my hair and looking from the look in his eyes, I knew that I –we – were going to be okay

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Readers!!! I'm sorry I haven't posted from Complications yet but I will soon! I hope you enjoyed this oneshot (that I actually planned to post, like, a month ago. HAHAHAHAHAH). Thanks for reading!