Part Seven: The Confession

The Events of Room 218 (EXO School AU)

         Baekhyun still has his fingers linked with Zitao’s when he sits back, watching the other with inquisitive eyes waiting for his promised explanation. Zitao thinks for a moment about how to start on the topic of his and Baekhyun’s family secrets.

         “I need you to be open-minded,” he finally says. “I need you to suspend your disbelief because you’re probably going to think I’m absolutely crazy when I tell you the truth.”

         “Just tell me already.” Baekhyun’s patience is wearing thin. He’s emotionally and physically exhausted and his head is aching in ways he’s never felt before. “I want to know.”

         Zitao sighs, deciding to take a roundabout approach. “Do you remember that wolf that ran out in front of us earlier?”

         Baekhyun frowns. “Yeah, but what does that have to do with…”

         “He’s driving the car,” Zitao interrupts. “The wolf we almost hit, that caused our accident, is currently driving this car.” He says each word in a slow, measured pace, willing Baekhyun to understand the situation.

         “What are you talking about?” Baekhyun looks at Yifan, whose focus in on the road ahead, seeing a perfectly calm, normal human being.

         “He’s a werewolf, Baekhyun. You saw him in his wolf form earlier.”

         “But that can’t be…” Baekhyun shakes his head, the image of the huge brown animal flashing in his mind. “Werewolves aren’t real.”

         “I’m one too,” Zitao adds. “As much as I wish I wasn’t, I am.” He takes a deep breath, settling his nerves as he forces himself to acknowledge his true existence, the part of him that he’s been running away from for some time now. “I’m a werewolf.”

         “You’re a boy,” Baekhyun argues. “You’re just a regular, teenage boy. You’re normal.”

         “No. I’m not.” Zitao squeezes their conjoined hands. “I wish I were, but I’m not normal.” He gazes into Baekhyun perplexed eyes as his brows crease together in all seriousness silently telling Baekhyun that this isn’t a joke, that it’s very real.

         Baekhyun lets it sink in for a moment before asking. “If it’s true, then what does my family have to with this?”

         “You’re family are trackers,” Zitao explains. “You’re family’s blood is genetically inclined to sense my kind, giving them the urge to kill us. Trackers are the enemies of werewolves.”

         At the sound of this Baekhyun tenses, eyes falling to his lap as he tries to process the information. “Does that mean I’m one too? If my parents are trackers, then I should be the same, right?”

         Zitao shifts in his seat, sliding so that he’s angled closer towards Baekhyun. “I don’t think you are,” he says, voice low and unsure. “I think you’re different. If you really were a tracker, you wouldn’t be able to stand being this close to me without wanting to kill me. The same goes for me. I’d want to tear you to shreds.”

         “Really?” Baekhyun asks, voice just as low now.

         “Yeah,” Zitao whispers. “Apart from when you wake me up every morning, I’ve never had the urge to end your life.”

          Baekhyun laughs quietly. “Well, that’s a relief.” As Yifan takes a particularly sharp turn, Baekhyun leans into Zitao, head spinning as an aftershock of his earlier trauma.

         “You okay?”

         Baekhyun nods into Zitao’s shoulder. “My head hurts.”

         “No sleeping, remember?”

         “Are you really a werewolf?” Baekhyun asks avoiding the topic, the heat of his breath soaking through Zitao’s clothes as he speaks.

         “Yeah.”

         “It must have been tough on you,” he mumbles. “Meeting my parents, I mean.”

         “You have no idea,” Zitao says with clenched teeth.

         “I’m sorry for putting you through that. I thought I was having a hard time, but it must have been torture for you.”

         Zitao pushes Baekhyun upright. “Is that really what you’re thinking right now?” he asks incredulously. “Are you serious? Out of everything that I just told you, you’re biggest concern is about my discomfort when meeting your parents?”

         Yifan who’s been quiet through the whole exchange finally falls into a fit of laughter, hands tapping against the steering wheel as he vents his amusement. “He really is something, Zitao. I can see you why you like him so much.”

         “I tell him I’m a werewolf and all he worries about is me having a hard time,” Zitao says addressing Yifan. “Forget the fact that I wanted to kill his parents.”

         “But you didn’t,” Baekhyun chimes in. “You could have, but you didn’t and neither did they.”

         “It’s not like they haven’t tried,” Zitao mumbles before realizing he’s said something he shouldn’t have.

         Baekhyun’s eyes widen in fear. “What?” his voice hitches.

         Zitao shakes his head adamantly. “Nothing. Forget I said anything.”

         “Have my parents tried to kill you?” Zitao’s looking at the floor of the car, eyes trained on Baekhyun’s feet, but Baekhyun’s refuses to drop this. He lets go of Zitao’s hand, using both palms to cup his roommate’s face, forcing him to look at Baekhyun. “Have they?”

         Zitao’s quiet for a moment, the hum of the car’s engine and its tires meeting the asphalt as it speeds down the road are the only sounds heard. Zitao realizes he can’t get away from the topic now that’s it’s been introduced, so he eventually asks, “Where were your parents on the day you moved into the dorm?”

         Baekhyun thinks for a moment, remembering the way his parents rushed through their goodbyes as he entered the dining room for breakfast on the morning he was to leave for school. “They were called on a last minute business trip. They left home early that morning.”

         “Do you remember what happened on your first night at the dorm?”

         Baekhyun gasps, before dropping his hands from Zitao’s face following their journey to his lap. “You were injured.”

         “I met your father that night,” Zitao says slowly. “Along with two other trackers that were hired to kill me. Your father was the one who stabbed me. If it weren’t for you, he might have been successful with his job.”

         Shaking, Baekhyun reaches out to clutch at the front of Zitao’s shirt. “I’m sorry,” he says, voice quivering.

         “Baekhyun, you do realize it could have been the other way around? I could have just as easily tried to kill you father.”

         He stills for a moment, hands still clutching the other’s shirt, head still bowed unable to meet Zitao’s eyes. “You’re not a killer.” Baekhyun’s voice is quiet but steady.

         “I am.”

         “No,” Baekhyun says barely audible. “You’re not.”

         “I’ve killed people Baekhyun. There were two others with your father that night; two that I killed.”

         He shakes his head minutely. “It was self-defense. They were trying to kill you.”

         “But that doesn’t change the fact that I killed them and others as well.” Zitao doesn’t know why he’s saying all of this. Maybe he wants to test Baekhyun, to make him understand the reality of the situation before jumping in blindly. Baekhyun keeps latching on to Zitao, taking Zitao’s side and as much as Zitao wants Baekhyun to be on his side, he also wants Baekhyun to know the magnanimity of the situation.

         “You’re not a bad person,” Baekhyun argues, shaking his head.

         “I’ve done bad things.”

         “That doesn’t make you a bad person,” Baekhyun says stubbornly, mind unchanging. “It’s primal instinct to want to protect yourself. What my parents have done is wrong? They knowingly tried to kill you. They’re the bad people, not you.”

         Zitao turns to fully face him, hands reaching up to hold both of Baekhyun’s arms just above the elbow. “Baekhyun, do you understand what you’re saying?”

         “I promised, didn’t I?” Baekhyun says, finally looking up again to meet Zitao’s curious gaze. “I promised I’d stay by your side and I’m not going to break that promise.”

         There’s a slight glint of hope in Zitao’s eyes as he tries to read Baekhyun to understand how honest he’s being right now. “Only a fool makes promises blindly.”

         Baekhyun grins mischievously. “Then I guess I’m an even bigger fool for keeping mine.”

         “But do you really understand, Baekhyun? You’re going against your family and siding with the enemy.” Zitao unconsciously shakes him, trying to emphasize that this is a decision that can’t be undone. If Baekhyun turns against his family, there may be no going back. This doesn’t even delve into the fact that Zitao is also placing himself at risk by deciding to not only protect someone of enemy blood, but also bring that someone back to center of his archenemy’s lair. Knowing that trackers have his scent and are going to be searching for him, Zitao understands that the safest place for them is headquarters, which consequently places Baekhyun in a lot of danger. If Zitao’s father finds out Baekhyun’s ancestry, regardless of the fact that Baekhyun is on their side, he may not hesitate to attack.

         “I understand,” Baekhyun smiles humorlessly. “Regardless of what you are or what my family is, I trust you.”

         “Why?” Zitao asks unbelievingly, absolutely shocked by Baekhyun’s decision.

         “Because you’re being honest with me,” Baekhyun answers without pause. “My parents have lied to me all my life. I guess I pretended not to see it because I wanted to believe them. They always said their work was important, that them being away from home all the time was best for the family. That one day I would understand. They even used to talk about me taking over the family business.” Baekhyun laughs dryly, as if finally understanding a joke he never got. “It makes sense now, why they stopped talking about me taking over the business and why we stopped acting like a family.”

         Zitao slides his left hand up to Baekhyun’s shoulder. “You’re rambling again.”

         “It’s like you said, Zitao. I’m not like them. They must have sensed it too. After all, how can I take over the family business if I’m not like the rest of the family? I always thought they were busy, but it was more than that, wasn’t it? I always thought I had disappointed them in some way, but I never understood why. They must think I’m a defect or something because I’m not like them. All those times they ignored me, pushed me away, pretended I didn’t exist; it all makes sense now. They probably hate me, thinking I’m worthless because I’m not what they wanted me to be.” Baekhyun laughs heartlessly, the sound foreign to his own ears.

         Worried, Zitao clutches Baekhyun’s shoulder, shaking him to gain his attention. “Baekhyun, look at me.” When the boy doesn’t, Zitao grabs his face, harshly pulling him back to reality. “Baekhyun?” Zitao says quietly, voice laced with concern.

         Baekhyun quiets himself, startled by his own actions. Finally letting go of Zitao’s shirt, he reaches forward drawing the other into a hug, burying his face in Zitao’s chest. “I’m glad I’m not like them,” he says. “I’m really glad I don’t feel like killing you.”

         Zitao chuckles, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun. “Well, that makes two of us.”

          “I hate to break up your little moment,” Yifan says, glancing up in the rearview mirror. “But we’ll be there soon. Maybe ten minutes or so.” It’s too dark for them to really see their surroundings apart from the low glow of the headlights at the front of the car, which only reveals patches of trees and fields, but it’s obvious they traveled away from civilization.

         “Right.” Zitao rests his head against Baekhyun’s thinking about the fact that he’s about to put the person in his arms in a very dangerous situation. If it weren’t for the fact that headquarters is a place perfectly hidden and impenetrable by outsiders, he wouldn’t risk taking Baekhyun there. He knows he needs to do something to keep Baekhyun safe while they’re inside headquarters, because even though he doesn’t smell or resemble a tracker in anyway, he is still an outsider and the pack isn’t very fond of outsiders, especially not one’s who know their secret. “Baekhyun?”

         “Yeah?”

         “I know I said that we were going somewhere safe, but you may still be at risk.”

         “But you’re going to protect me, right?”

         “Yeah.” Zitao runs his hands across the planes of Baekhyun’s back before placing them at his waist, pushing him back and putting a bit of space between them. “Baekhyun, I’m about to do something that may seem a bit strange but it’s to protect you, so I need you to trust me, okay?”

         Baekhyun huffs, frowning at him. “How many times do I have to tell you that I trust you?”

         Zitao grins, bringing his hand up to cup Baekhyun’s cheek. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you?”

         “What are you…” Before Baekhyun has a chance to finish his sentence, Zitao plants a kiss on his lips, successfully shutting him up. Baekhyun’s eyes widen, the whites of them shining in contrast to the darkness inside the car. Zitao pushes forward, lips curling against Baekhyun’s in amusement by how shocked he is by Zitao’s actions. With one quick movement, Zitao swipes his tongue into Baekhyun’s mouth, earning a loud gasp and two hands firmly planted on his chest pushing him away.

         Baekhyun’s face is completely flushed, luckily shaded by the lack of light in the car, but Zitao can feel the rise in his body temperature. His breath comes in quick gasps as he tries to understand what’s happening. “Why are you kissing me?”

         “To protect you,” Zitao answers simply.

         “I don’t see how you having your tongue in my mouth protects me.” Baekhyun’s confused, startled, and maybe a bit stirred up, but he shows no signs of disgust, which for some reason, Zitao is grateful for.

         “I’m putting my scent on you, giving you my pheromones so that everyone knows you’re mine. It’s like marking my territory.”

         “And that requires you to kiss me?” Baekhyun questions skeptically. “Couldn’t your just rub up against me or something.”

         Zitao stifles a laugh. “That works, but the most potent way to do this is by exchanging body fluids and I don’t think you want to mate with me, so kissing is our second best option.”

         “Oh,” Baekhyun clears his throat, averting his gaze in embarrassment.

         “If we were just meeting one or two others, I wouldn’t go this far, but we’re about to walk into a wolf’s den. The best way to keep them away from you is for them to think you’re mine. The pack has very strict rules about the protection of our mates and we just need them to think that you’re mine. It’s a bit unconventional, but it should work,” Zitao explains, trying to gauge Baekhyun’s reaction, but finding him hard to read.

         Baekhyun his lips, glancing over at Yifan self-consciously. Taking a deep breath, he puts on a brave face. “I guess, if it helps, I don’t mind kissing you.”

         Zitao smiles, his lips before cupping Baekhyun’s cheek again. He hesitates, leaning in gradually to make sure Baekhyun’s not going to pull away. Closing his eyes, Baekhyun’s waits patiently, lips slightly parted as Zitao’s gets closer. Their lips finally meet and Zitao can feel Baekhyun’s body stiffen, hands clenching at the front of Zitao’s shirt before loosening a bit. Zitao into Baekhyun’s mouth, marveling at how Baekhyun tastes just as great as he smells, warm and comforting. Zitao curls his hand around Baekhyun’s waist pulling him even closer.

         Zitao’s breaks away when he realizes Baekhyun’s dying for air. As he pulls back, he’s met with warm puffs of air as Baekhyun’s pants to catch his breath. Zitao slides his lips across Baekhyun’s cheek before gliding his tongue down Baekhyun’s neck receiving a nice jolt in response. Baekhyun’s relaxed and pliant as Zitao across the smooth skin of his throat, down to the nook above Baekhyun’s left shoulder. Tugging at Baekhyun’s coat and shirt, Zitao exposes more of his clavicle. Before Baekhyun’s mind can clear, Zitao bites down hard, latching onto Baekhyun’s shoulder shocking him into action. Just as Zitao is about to at the bite, Baekhyun shoves him off, hard enough to knock them apart.

         “Damn it, Zitao! Why’d you bite me again?” He’s clutching at his neck, wincing at the sting leftover from the bite.

         “Sorry,” Zitao says sheepishly. “My instincts took over.”

         “Again with the instincts.”

         Zitao reaches up hesitantly. “If you let me it, it won’t hurt as much.”

         Baekhyun thinks for a moment before dropping his hand and letting Zitao at the mark. While Zitao’s distracted, Baekhyun wraps his arms around him, pulling at his clothing to give himself an opening near Zitao’s neck and shoulder. Leaning in quickly, Baekhyun bites down on the supple flesh of Zitao’s neck, just hard enough to break the skin and leave a mark. Zitao jumps back in surprise.

         “It hurts, doesn’t it?” Baekhyun his lips triumphantly, tasting Zitao’s blood on his tongue. Zitao just stares in astonishment as Baekhyun smirks smugly about getting his revenge. What Baekhyun doesn’t expect is to see his bite mark slowly disappear from Zitao’s neck. He smoothes his fingers across the skin that once held the mark, finding it completely unblemished. “How’d you do that?”

         “Werewolf, remember?” Zitao mimics Baekhyun’s motion by trailing his fingers lightly across Baekhyun’s neck. “I got rid of your mark as well.”

         Baekhyun touches his own neck, amazed but not overly shocked by the incident. “I guess there’s a lot I still have to learn.”

         “Does that mean you’re going to stick around for a while?”

         “Until you get sick of me,” Baekhyun teases.

         “I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon.”

         Yifan coughs, clearing his throat to get their attention. “We’re here,” he announces.

         Zitao swoops in, catching Baekhyun’s lips once again kissing him deeply, pulling back a while later with a smirk. “Just wanted to be safe,” he says.

         “I think you just like kissing me,” Baekhyun jokes breathlessly, skin still flushed from the action.

         “Maybe I do,” Zitao jokes back, causing Baekhyun’s breath to catch.

         There’s an awkward moment before Zitao steps out of the car, pulling Baekhyun behind him. Zitao wraps his arm securely around Baekhyun as they make their way through the underground car park. There’s a faint scent of salt and seawater in the air that makes Baekhyun wonder exactly how far they traveled in the night.

         “Stay close to me,” Zitao whispers. “If I leave your side for any reason, stay close to Yifan. He’ll keep you safe.”

         Baekhyun nods, tugging at his slightly torn shirt self-consciously. He feels too hot and wonders if it’s showing on his face. Zitao’s actions and words have him more flustered than he would like to be and he wishes he could shake it off. Zitao seems completely fine, maybe a bit more serious than usual, but completely unfazed by the events that just occurred in the car.

         They make their way to a door on the far side of the car park. A man dressed in black sits on a small stool, watching them as they approach. He stands when he spots Yifan and then his eyes flare open as he recognizes Zitao. It’s common knowledge that Zitao is a rogue and he’s not exactly welcome at headquarters. The doorman seems to be at odds with what to do but Yifan quiets him with a raised hand. “These two have business with the Alpha. I take responsibility in allowing them entry into headquarters. You have nothing to worry about.”

         The doorman nods, opening the door, granting them entry. Zitao doesn’t speak and Baekhyun understands that he should remain quiet as well as they make their way down a narrow, dimly lit corridor. Baekhyun finds his grip around Zitao’s waist tightening as they get closer and closer to the lit room at the end of the hall.

         Yifan barely pauses as they pass through the room, leaving a few startled pack members in shock at the sight of Zitao. They continue further into headquarters, passing people here and there, each pausing in their tasks to watch the trio walk by. Zitao keeps his gaze forward, lips forming a thin line as he calms himself. Baekhyun can feel small tremors passing through Zitao’s body, but he doesn’t ask. He takes it as a sign of nerves and the knowledge of Zitao’s sudden edginess makes him a bit worried. Baekhyun’s not really afraid, but he doesn’t like the intense atmosphere surrounding everyone.

         Eventually they make it to a large, imposing door guarded by two pack members dressed again in black. Yifan asks for permission to speak with the Alpha. He gestures for Zitao and Baekhyun to wait outside as he enters the room through the partially open door. The two guards eye them warily.

         Yifan emerges moments later. “The Alpha has agreed to meet with you,” he says, stepping aside and holding the door open for them.

         Zitao walks through first, placing Baekhyun between himself and Yifan, slightly blocking Baekhyun’s view of the room and the man before them. The room isn’t large, but the fixtures within it are grand and eloquent. The furniture is obviously antique, made large and heavy, meant to last for a long period of time. Baekhyun wonders which era it was made in because it all looks like something from an ancient palace, extremely out of place in this underground, dimly lit room.

         “I hear you are in need of my assistance.” Baekhyun glances around Zitao to see the tall, broad-chested man who spoke from behind the desk on the opposite side of the room. His high backed desk chair blocks a portion of his body, but Baekhyun can tell he’s huge and very intimidating.

         Baekhyun watches as Zitao’s shoulders slump, something that isn’t normal for his usual perfect posture. “Father, I’ve come to ask…”

         “Father, is it?” the man asks mockingly. “So I’m your father again now that you need something.”

         Zitao bows his head. “Please, sir. I wouldn’t have come if I knew there was another option.”

         The man drapes his arm across the back of his chair, smiling smugly with one corner of mouth. “What is it that you need?”

         “A safe place to stay, just for a few nights.” Zitao seems to think about looking back at Baekhyun, but instead tilts his head just a bit in Baekhyun’s direction. “If it were just me, I wouldn’t have come, but I have someone with me that I want to keep safe.”

         His father jerks up, finally looking over at Baekhyun making eye contact. “I see,” he says, drawing out the final word in a manner that makes Baekhyun shy away, hiding himself behind Zitao. “Who might this young man be?”

         “Someone I care for,” Zitao answers without pause.

         “How intriguing,” the man says, voice deep and gravelly. “Step forward,” he addresses Baekhyun, who silently steps around Zitao, keeping a hand on the other’s arm for reassurance. Zitao’s father appraises him, eyes penetrating and unblinking as he scrutinizes this boy that his son has brought home. “He’s human,” his father says accusingly.

         “Yes,” Zitao agrees.

         “Step closer,” he says, gesturing with a wave of his hand.

         Baekhyun’s grip on Zitao’s arm tightens before he drops his hand, mustering enough courage and strength needed to step forward into the middle of the room between two black upholstered couches separated by a low standing coffee table. Zitao’s father steps around his desk, standing just on the other side of the small table.

         “You smell like my son,” he accuses. “What are you to him?”

         Baekhyun stands his ground, staring directly back at Zitao’s father. “I believe he already told you. I’m someone he cares for.” Unlike Zitao, Baekhyun actually takes the opportunity to glance back, meeting Zitao’s stunned expression with a sly smile before looking back at Zitao’s father. “The feeling’s mutual.”

         The man squints, teeth gritting together as he regards this unnatural occurrence of someone speaking to him without showing proper signs of respect and deference. He schools his face into a false calm before he speaks. “Do you know what I am?” he asks, authority clear in his voice.

         “Yes.” Baekhyun raises his chin in defiance as he says it.

         “And you’re not afraid?” he asks curiously, never having met a human so brave, or maybe just stupid.

         “Should I be?”

         “Most people are.” Zitao’s father says, relaxing his stance and crossing his arms over his chest.  “I would say it’s an innate reaction that people have when they see me.”

         Baekhyun copies his posture, crossing his arms as he says, “I admit you’re rather intimidating and could easily tear me to pieces but you’re not exactly terrifying.”

         “I’m not?” His brows lift in surprise at the unexpected comment.

         Baekhyun barely shakes his head, lips curling in a thin smile. “You’re eyes give it away.”

         “How so?”

         “Even when you’re glaring, they still look kind,” Baekhyun explains, feeling less intimidated and much more confident. “It’s not obvious, but I can see it. You have no intention of hurting me.”

         A stiff silence settles in the room as Zitao’s dad allows Baekhyun’s words to sink in. His face is firm as he looks the smaller male up and down. Zitao tenses, forcing himself not to step forward and pull Baekhyun back to safety because he’s not sure how his father is going to react to Baekhyun’s outlandish actions. Yifan’s just as tense and rigid at his spot near the door.

         No one moves, pulses quicken, the silence turns heavy, and then Zitao’s father laughs. He actually laughs and it sounds so foreign because neither Zitao nor Yifan have seen him like this. He’s the Alpha of the pack. He doesn’t laugh and when he smiles it’s supposed to be menacing, not pleasant.

         “What’s your name son?” he asks, sounding rather affectionate.

         Baekhyun smiles before giving his name. “Byun Baekhyun.”

         “Baekhyun, why don’t you have a seat?” he gestures to the sofa on his right waiting for Baekhyun to seat himself before taking a spot on the sofa on the left so that they’re facing each other. “My wife used to tell me that I had kind eyes. She always said I’d have trouble leading the pack if I let it show.”

         “I’d say you’ve been doing it right then. It’s barely noticeable.” Baekhyun peers over at the two standing near the door, gaping at the scene before them.

         “And yet you still noticed.”

         “It’s because you and Zitao have very similar eyes. When I look at you, I see him.” Baekhyun looks down, pausing as he measures his words. If it hadn’t been for that similarity, Baekhyun doesn’t think he could handle facing Zitao’s father like this. “I think you’re both severely misunderstood and maybe a bit lonely.”

         “You’re very honest, Baekhyun.”

         “Well, if I’m being completely honest,” Baekhyun says congenially, sinking back into the sofa as his fatigue finally catches up with him. “I’m extremely tired right now and very sore. My head is killing me and if I stay up much longer, I probably won’t be very good company.”

         “You must be exhausted. It seems you two have been in some sort of accident.” Zitao’s dad stands appraising his appearance before looking over to Yifan. “ them to Zitao’s old room.” He looks to his son. “Zitao, you two are welcome to stay, but I would like to talk to you after you’ve had some rest.”

         “Of course,” Zitao says, still unsure of what to think with the change in his father’s attitude.

         “Baekhyun, I would like to speak with again as well. I can see why my son is so interested in you.”

         “I’ve been hearing that a lot lately.” Baekhyun stands, wavering slightly as he rights himself. “It was nice meeting you, Mr. Huang.”

         “It was nice meeting you too, Baekhyun.”

         Without further discussion, they exit the room leaving Zitao’s dad alone in his office in the early hours of the morning. As they follow Yifan back down the corridor they previously entered through, Baekhyun hooks his arm through Zitao’s, slumping heavily against him.

         “You okay?” Zitao asks.

         “I’ve never been so tense before in my life. Now I know how you felt while eating dinner with my parents.”

         Zitao snickers. “If you ask me, you looked really relaxed during the whole ordeal and you didn’t have to worry about wanting to kill him.”

         “It was all pretense. You’re father is extremely intimidating.” Baekhyun puts more weight on Zitao as they make a turn down a side hall.

         “So you’ve said.” Zitao pulls his arm free from Baekhyun’s, choosing to drape it over his shoulder instead, as Baekhyun wraps his arms around the other’s waist. “Unlike you’re parents, I think my father was actually being genuine. I’ve never seen him like that.”

         “Not even with your mom?” Baekhyun asks remembering Zitao’s father’s words.

         Zitao quiets, shaking his head. “I was too young to really see them together. She died when I was still an infant.”

         “I’m sorry,” Baekhyun murmurs, wrapping his arms a little tighter.

         Zitao doesn’t respond.

         They make one final turn before Yifan stops to open a door on the left side of a short corridor. He gestures for them to enter before speaking. “I’ll bring you two some tea to help you sleep.”

         Zitao thanks him before closing them in the room.

         “So this is your old bedroom?” Baekhyun asks, shuffling to the center of the room, taking it all in. There’s not much to see. The walls are a plainly painted teal color, nothing too elaborate or unappealing. There are shelves lining the wall to the left of the door and two large, dark armoires on a second wall. There’s no bed or furniture apart from those mentioned and a small personal table. The floor is a dark wood and polished to a gleaming shine. It’s simple and Baekhyun finally understands why Zitao’s side of the dorm room looks impersonal and empty.

         “I used to share it with my cousins, before I started training. It used to look very cluttered,” Zitao explains, opening one of the armoires to pull out two sleeping mats, along with pillows and blankets. He lays them out in the middle of the room.

         “Training?”

         “If you haven’t noticed, my father’s the Alpha, which means I’m next in line. Before I left home, I was training to take his place.”

         “Oh, right.” Baekhyun mouths the words quietly.

         Zitao has the mats spread out and before he has a chance to tell Baekhyun to sit, he’s already plopping down on one. “So graceful,” he teases.

         “I’m tired,” Baekhyun pouts. “Do you think it’s fine if I sleep now?”

         “I think you’ll be fine.” Zitao opens the second armoire, pulling out two sets of matching pajamas, tossing one pair to Baekhyun. “You should change before you sleep.”

         “Wait!” Baekhyun exclaims. “Where are our bags?”

         “They were left in the other car.”

         “Seriously? But they have everything in them, my ID, my clothes, uniform, money.” Baekhyun lies back, throwing his hands over his face.

         “Stop fussing. We can get all of that replaced if we need to.” Zitao pulls off his coat, followed by his shirt. He kicks at Baekhyun’s feet. “Hurry up and change so we can go to sleep.”

         “But I’m too tired,” Baekhyun whines.

         Zitao finishes changing before dropping down to Baekhyun’s side. “You know, for someone who just stood his ground to one of the most powerful werewolves in the country, even made him act like a uncharacteristically kind, you sure act like a baby.”

         Baekhyun rolls his head, poking his lip out as he stares up at his roommate. “My body feels like jelly.”

         Deciding not to argue, Zitao physically pulls Baekhyun up, tugging off his jacket, then his shirt. Baekhyun doesn’t fight, letting his sore limbs be pulled free from his clothing. “That looks painful.” Now that Baekhyun’s shirtless, Zitao can see the large bruise forming across his abdomen. “Does it hurt?”

         Baekhyun rubs a palm lightly across the bruise. “It’s not that bad. I thinks it from where you held me to the seat.”

         “Sorry,” Zitao places his warm palm over the bruise, fingers grazing against Baekhyun’s as he does so.

         “It could have been a lot worse, you know. I’d rather have this, than even think about what could have happened.” Baekhyun gets goosebumps as Zitao lets his hand slide down his stomach. He suddenly becomes aware of the fact that Zitao’s close and usually this wouldn’t be an issue but after what happened in the car, Baekhyun’s very conscious of the fact that he’s shirtless and his body flushes at the thought of Zitao touching him so intimately again.

         Just as this thought crosses his mind, Yifan enters the room carrying a tray with steaming cups of tea. He clears his throat as he sets the tray on the tiny table. Baekhyun takes the opportunity to quickly pull his nightshirt on. Yifan simply smiles, bidding them a goodnight before leaving again. Baekhyun finishes changing his pants while Zitao takes a cup of tea, offering the second to Baekhyun once he’s settled.

         It’s not long before they’re both resting on their mats, comfortably warm under soft blankets. Baekhyun barely has a chance to drift off before Zitao’s invading his mat, curling up behind him and draping an arm around Baekhyun’s midsection. He murmurs something along the lines of “much better” and Baekhyun silently curses his existence.

         He knows he shouldn’t be feeling so flustered. He knows the kissing incident was a matter regarding his protection, keeping him safe. He knows there’s not a deeper meaning behind it and he really doesn’t see Zitao as anything more than a friend and roommate. Baekhyun’s mentally chastising himself for getting so worked up, but it’s Zitao’s fault for making him feel this way. It was one thing to share a bed with him, just as a friend, almost like brothers. But kissing is different. Kissing crosses so many friendship boundaries that Baekhyun’s never thought of crossing with Zitao and honestly it makes no sense, but for some reason Baekhyun can’t shake the fact that he didn’t really mind Zitao kissing him. He’s never really minded Zitao sleeping with him either. He’s always felt comfortable around him. It just felt right, even in the beginning.

         They’ve known each other for just over six weeks and that’s not very long in terms of their seventeen years of life, but Baekhyun doesn’t think he’s ever felt this comfortable and compatible with anyone else he’s ever met. He’s never felt so safe and comforted by someone’s presence in the same way that he feels when Zitao’s close by.

         What Baekhyun doesn’t know is that Zitao feels the same way, that he’s thinking the same things as he presses his face into the nape of Baekhyun’s neck, comforted by the familiar warmth and scent of his roommate, his friend. For some reason, them being together just makes sense, as if it were meant for them to meet like this, Zitao as the son of one of the strongest werewolves in the history of their people and Baekhyun as the son of on one of the strongest trackers ever known. Even with their differences, none of it matters because they’re friends and if either of them has a say in the matter, that fact’s not going to change any time soon.

 


A/N: This sooooooooooo did not turn out how I had planned, but then again I don't hate it so I'm going to roll with what the boys want on this one. Turns out, Zitao's dad isn't as mean as I thought he would be...just a bit misunderstood like Zitao is, but Baekhyun noticed right away :D

Okays...I hope you're all still enjoying this. Thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting. I really enjoying reading your comments ^-^