Caller of the Night

Bygone : Secret of the Red Poppy

A/N :
Yes, this is a double-update hahah~

_

_


Caller of the Night


 

 

"What about your wedding anniversary ?"

 

"No use. Already tried."

 

"Your name ? Her name ? The name of your future children ?"

 

"We weren't thinking of having one for the moment so I don't think it's that."

 

 

Chanyeol ruffled his hair in frustration. Nothing worked no matter how many time they tried : the cell phone won't unlock. They have tried everything they could think of (from her birthday, Heechul's birthday, the name of her first pet, of her high school teacher, food she liked to eat...) that even Heechul, the one supposedly to know her best, ran out of ideas. Chanyeol wasn't really helping (since the last time he met Yoona they were still kids), he could only give suggestions that just ended up being futile.

 

He gives up. He was never one to think too much anyway.

 

 

"Aren't you her husband ? Why don't you know her passwords ?" He asked as he stretched out, lazily laying on the couch.

 

"She usually uses her birthday as password, I don't know why she decided to change for this one." Heechul grew more irritated as the screen showed 'Invalid password' once again. The phone must seriously be playing with him.

 

"Let's take a break. It's been an entire afternoon that we've been at it."

 

But Heechul, as often, didn't listen to him. He obstinately tried more combinations.

Chanyeol sighed. He got up from the couch, walking around the house. The sun was beginning to set, immersing the living room in a warm and soothing yellow-reddish halo (that certainly would have been romantic had it not been with Heechul). Looking up at the time made Chanyeol realize that they still yet had their lunch, and that his stomach was screaming its hunger since it was already dinner time.

 

Nearly a week since he came back to Korea and not a single good thing happened. He was beginning to regret coming back.

 

"Do you want to eat something ?" He asked Heechul as he trailed towards the kitchen. But asking or not asking was the same, Heechul was too engrossed in his phone unlocking game to even bother answering him.

 

He just opened the fridge when he remembered that Heechul and him had finished the last left-overs last night and that there was nothing left to properly fill his stomach. He let a discontented grunt escape his lips.

 

Really, not a single good thing happened.

 

 

He wanted to tell Heechul that he was going out to buy something to eat, but refrained from doing so since the busy man was only going to ignore him again. Stealthily taking some money from Heechul's wallet, Chanyeol didn't forget to take his camera with him before setting out in the streets. He always carried his camera around, no matter what. After all, greatest photography always came out from impromptu circumstances, he can't permit himself to let such a chance slip away if it ever presented in front of him.

 

 

Chanyeol knew that he was an instable man, carefree from nature, too indifferent to the world around him. He was detached from everything and never got himself too involved in anything, in anybody, not even himself. Nothing could hold him still, nobody could hold him back; he was like an air current, blowing one minute, leaving the next. Maybe that was the reason why his parents abandoned him, perhaps that was the reason why he could never have someone in his life (like a Yoona for Heechul), he was too evasive to be someone for someone; and he knew that.

He wasn't going to change for all that, since this was him. Life's versatile, so was he.

 

But it's not like he was a boat without anchor, he once had : the G6, them, the friends that replaced his family. Just that, like life, they had gone their separate ways, he was once again the last behind, and the anchor disappeared in a smoke.

Now, the only sail that still permitted him to move forward, was photography. Photography made him feel that he was still alive, it made him breath their scenery, live their story, dream their people. Because each pictures had his own scenery, his own story, his own people, they had what he had not, they had life in them. It's ironic though, how photography enthralled him, since they were still, constant, unchanging, and him, Park Chanyeol, was anything but that.

 

Click.

 

The sun was still shyly bidding his goodnight, enhancing its beauty through its crown of blushing light on the cold city; like a mother whose child don't know to value the love.

 

 

Chanyeol walked rather randomly in the streets, he didn't have had the time to look around the neighborhood before when he decided to stay at Heechul's place, but by the look of the chummy houses he passed by, this was a rather cozy area. Not exactly the kind of unreasonably high-class like, but prosperous enough to live comfortably. Seems like Heechul made more than he thought, maybe he should ask him to lend him some little money (he soon brushed the thought, though, because this is Heechul we're talking about).

 

However, every district, as costly as they may be, had its convenience store, and luckily Chanyeol had the great idea to take a note of the way to the store when they drove out in car this afternoon. In such wise he successfully arrived in front of the 24/7 store in a merely fifteen minutes of walk (that's quite a good time record, he praised himself).

Weirdly enough, when he didn't even feel nostalgic returning back in his motherland, he kind of felt like a stranger in this busy little shop. Maybe it was this Korean feel it breathed. That's also weird.

 

The ramyuns weren't difficult to find, since there was practically a whole shelf only of ramyuns. Chanyeol decided to pick one of each, to diversify the flavors (and mostly because he didn't know which one Heechul liked). He had almost filled his basket when she arrived.

 

"Chanyeol ? What are you doing here ?" The feminine, grace tinted voice spoke from behind.

 

A grin automatically plastered on his face as soon as he saw the woman who was coincidentally doing her shopping at the same time as him (a mechanical, manufactured smile) "Victoria ! What a coincidence !"

 

His broad smile was replied by her near cold tone. "What are you doing here ?" She repeated.

 

His smile wavered (just a second, but it wavered).

 

"Of course I'm doing groceries, what else ?" His grin resurfaced as soon.

 

Victoria's gaze slowly s towards the basket of ramyuns; visibly his and her terms of groceries didn't match. "I guess that you're free-loading at Heechul's."

 

"Oh, wow, how did you know ?"

 

"You can't afford to live in this neighborhood, it's obvious that you can only stay at Heechul' house."

 

Chanyeol's optimism was not the least perturbed by her straightforward statement. "Then, do you live in this neighborhood ?"

 

"No, I live more in the center." She answered as she looked at her watch. "I was passing by here so I thought that I'd drop off some groceries for Heechul, since I believe that he won't eat anything healthy without Yoona around, if he is not starving himself that is. It's a good thing that you're here, I can just let you take them."

 

"You even do groceries for him ? That's nice of you."

 

"I'm just doing my job as his secretary." She said with a shrug.

 

Chanyeol chuckled lightly as he took the basket for Victoria. "You haven't changed, still taking care of everyone."

 

"I don't." She retorted, as if defending herself.

 

Chanyeol didn't (or pretended not to) hear her, "I remember whenever I had a wound, you'd always rush to treat me. And whenever I was crying you were always the one who was trying to comfort me."

 

Victoria didn't respond to him as they stood in line at the cash desk.

 

Chanyeol still kept on, "Also, you were always letting Jessica and Yoona have everything, and when we were playing, you'd let them the better roles to take the bad one instead." He laughed by himself. "I kind of miss when the six of us were together playing around, it was fun when I think back of those times. I mean, we even formed the G6 thinking that we would save the earth somed-" Chanyeol stopped talking abruptly, as though he was struck by lightning.

 

It was only then that Victoria paid him attention. "What's wrong ? Did you forget something ?"

 

Instead of answering her, he grabbed her shoulders and began to shout excitedly. "You're a genius Vic ! Of course, it's should be something like that ! How can we not think about that ?"

 

Victoria could only stare at him like a madman as he began to run out of the store hysterically. She didn't have the time to remind him he had to take the groceries with him that he had already disappeared behind a corner of the street. What was she going to do with all those ramyuns ?

 

 

 

Chanyeol ran back to the eco-home in a record speed, he didn't even take a breath back and rushed in the house without taking his shoes off. Heechul was still on the cell phone when he looked up in confusion at the man who fell on the couch, nearly dying from lack of air. 

 

"What ? Did you get chased after by something ?" He asked him, but Chanyeol was still in the process of urgently supplying himself of oxygen.

 

Only when he caught enough breath, he stammered between heavy pants, "G-Golden 6... Did you try... Golden 6 ?"

 

Although it was almost uncomprehensible, Heechul perked up once he understood his meaning. He frantically typed the words 'Golden6', and for the first time in his life, Heechul wanted to kiss Chanyeol.

 

Bingo.

 

 

"Chanyeol, how did you..."

 

"I know, it's just in my nature to be a genius." Chanyeol thumbed up as he began to regain a normal breathing.

 

The usual roll of eyes in these kind of moments were replaced by Heechul's exclamation of victory. He quickly browsed the cell phone, and as fast as his joy came, it left.

Chanyeol, who felt that something was wrong, looked over his shoulder. His face also fell the moment his eyes got across the only name of the contact list.

 

 

 

Hedgehog.

 

 

*  *  *

 

 

The west district of Seoul, at the borderline of the suburbs, was an area of old depreciated small buildings where the less fortunate household (still more fortunate than those who had to live in the suburbs) decided to live in a cramped 15 square meter (because they had no other choice). It was the kind of area where shops from last century were still opened, and where kids were still playing with pebbles in those periods of high technology.

 

Certainly, it was a very different area from where Heechul lived.

 

The GPS told them that they arrived at destination, Chanyeol looked up at the crumbling apartment building standing in front of them, threatening to collapse at the next earthquake. He saw some grandfathers playing cards next to a shabby superette down the building, middle-aged aunties gossiping on the street while their children were running around without surveillance. He definitely preferred Heechul's neighborhood.

 

Heechul parked his car on the side of the road (because there wasn't even a place to park here) and promptly got out of the car. Chanyeol hadn't even removed his security belt that Heechul was already stomping up the stairs. He hesitated whether or not to stay in the car, since Heechul didn't lock it and he didn't have the key, but finally chose to follow the man. He had a feeling that things were going to degenerate if he left Heechul alone.

He walked up the stairs two by two (he noticed the numerous doodles and graffiti on the stairs and the wall, and cringed as he read several profanities). Thankfully, the building only had five floors and Chanyeol arrived at the last floor without too much effort. He just had time to see a door open in front of Heechul and a punch flying towards the other man.

 

He sighed. Not again.

 

 

*  *  *

 

 

"Why is it always me who gets beaten when it's the two of you who're fighting ?" grumbled Chanyeol with an accusative stare as he held onto his bleeding nose. He can't believe that his nose was just getting better that they had to hit him right on this place once again. They must hate his nose for some unknown reasons.

 

"Why did you have to suddenly come up ?" Heechul didn't look the least sorry when he spoke.

 

Chanyeol scoffed, throwing away the reddened tissue for another clean one. "If I didn't intervene, one of you was going to tear the other's throat, and please, as interesting as it may be, this is too gory for my poor eyes." The sarcasm that tinted his voice was intended for the two other men, sitting each other at one other side of the small table.

 

Chanyeol decided that he was going to sit in the middle of them to prevent any other fight, because they might as well dislocate his nose if they smack him once again and he really didn't want to be implicated in their fight once again. Twice was more than enough for him.

 

"So, care to tell me the reason why you came all the way to my home and hit me without notice ?" Though he tried to be as courteous as possible, the other injured man's tone clearly manifested his anger.

 

After all, he was peacefully preparing himself some noodles when someone banged at his door and, before he could say anything, he was on the floor spitting blood. And it certainly didn't help that the one who hit him was none other than Kim Heechul.

 

Heechul emitted a dry, almost maniacal laugh. "You're very good at playing innocent, huh, Lee Donghae. Want to try an actor carrier instead of rotting behind your computers ? I'm sure you'll do well." His words, contrary to their meaning, conveyed nothing but contemptuous hatred.

 

Donghae glared at him with equal animosity. "What do you want ?" His fierce whisper sliced through the air in pointed beats.

 

Before Heechul could spur another cynical comment, Chanyeol beat him to it. "We found your name in Yoona's contact."

 

If he was spiteful with Heechul, Donghae knew to show mercy with Chanyeol. He looked curiously at the younger guy, asking in genuine incomprehension. "And ? What's the problem with that ?"

 

"Not exactly your name, but your nickname, Hedgehog." Chanyeol clarified his statement.

 

But Donghae's expression of consternation remained, so Chanyeol explained further. "You know how the note at the funeral stated 'Poppy', right ? Actually, Heechul and I are thinking that there's someone behind Yoona's death, and it is somehow related with G6."

 

"And so ? What does it have to do with me ?" Donghae arched an eyebrow, obviously not amused.

 

"Well, it's just that you were the only contact, and well..." Chanyeol looked away from Donghae prying eyes. "You can't deny that it's weird she would have saved only you under that nickname."

 

Donghae chuckled darkly. "I don't know why you find that weird. Yoona and I were friends, it's only normal for friends to have each other's number, isn't it ?" He rhetorically posed the question. "And we all used to call each other by our nickname, before. Maybe Yoona just wanted to do like old times." He shrugged his shoulders lightly.

 

"You called each other quite often, for friends." Heechul snapped in, throwing the cell phone on the table.

 

Donghae gave a furtive glance at the cell phone and understood. The phone logs was on screen and they were all from 'Hedgehog'. Undoubtedly, 'Hedgehog' had called frequently on this cell phone.

 

The corner of Heechul's lips scrawled upwards when Donghae didn't reply to him. "So, Mr. Innocent ? Has the cat caught your tongue ?"

 

Donghae shot him an annoyed look. "What are you trying to say ?"

 

Heechul seemed to enjoy cornering the other man, because he continued in a challenging tone. "I've looked into the phone logs, and the calls began about a month ago. Weirdly, I've been told that a month ago, someone was stalking Yoona. Now, tell me Mr. Innocent, how can such a coincidence exist ?"

 

When Heechul saw him trembling, hiding his face behind his hand, not responding to his provocation. Heechul thought that he had won. Donghae was cracking. He was going to confess his sin.

But against all expectations, a chortle came from Donghae's mouth. Then that chortle transformed into a giggle, before bursting out in laughter, and Heechul (along with Chanyeol) could only let befuddlement depict their face.

 

"What are you laughing at ?" Heechul frowned as Donghae was wiping a tear from his eye.

 

"Oh, Heechul. I didn't know you were so..." He deliberately paused, giving the oldest of them a pitying smile. "...naive."

 

The word itself was mocking, and Heechul didn't remain oblivious at that. He seethed through greeted teeth. " What ?"

 

"You're accusing me with a nickname that I haven't heard of for fifteen years, isn't it too much ?" Donghae gave him a disdainful look. "You can't even be sure that it's me, it could as well be someone trying to frame me for all I know. You haven't thought of that, did you ?"

 

The haughtiness that Donghae exhibited etched the temper of the easily angered man. "You're trying to say that it's not you."

 

Donghae shrugged casually, not responding.

 

"Bull !" Heechul banged the table. "We can call the number, if your phone's ringing, what can you say, huh ?"

 

But Donghae never lost his composure. "Unfortunately, my phone was stolen yesterday when I went out."

 

"You bastard." Heechul grabbed his collar, ready to strike him another punch.

 

 

Chanyeol was desperate while thinking that yet another fight between the two guys was getting under way (and that he had, once again, to stop them) when the front door opened. That moment, Chanyeol couldn't be more thankful to the petite woman who walked into the cramped apartment, and gave to the three of them a weird look. They returned the same look to her, as they paused on what they were doing.

 

 

"I didn't know you had guests." She finally spoke after she quaintly observed the scene. "Seems like you're having fun." The cynicism underneath was easily heard.

 

Chanyeol was the first one to greet her with a delighted smile. "Jessica !" He exclaimed, wanting to hug her for arriving at such a good timing. But he refrained himself from doing so (mostly because he was sure that he was going to get slapped) as he gave her and Donghae a confused look. "Wait. Why are you here ? I didn't know that you and Donghae were..." His eyes successively gazed from the woman to the man..

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. "I just came here to ask Donghae to review the new novel I wrote. What were you thinking ?"

 

Chanyeol muttered a small exclamation of understanding while Jessica entered the room and crossed her arms in a skeptical manner.

 

"So, what's going on again ?" She made sure to punctuate the last word as she stared every one of them with her trademark icy look.

 

Donghae shoved away Heechul's hand, coughing from the tight grasp, all the while glowering at him.

 

Heechul stood up, pointed his index towards Donghae and declared menacingly. "I'm not finished with you, Donghae. I will prove that you killed Yoona and I will make you regret not confessing when you had the chance. I swear, I will make you regret."

 

And with this last promise, Heechul stormed out of the apartment, with a panicked Chanyeol who gave his two other friends a quick apology before hastily running after him.

 

Jessica turned her gaze towards the only person left with her. He had his head under his palm, a sinister expression casted on his face. She slowly walked to him, her knees gently touched the hard ground as she let her hand trail on his back.

 

 

"Are you alright ?"

 

A shake of head, a sigh and a smile. "It's nothing, Sica... Nothing."

 

 

*  *  *

 

 

The door slammed violently, shaking the whole household with his temper.

 

Victoria was sitting on the couch, flipping through the files she had taken from her work, and just patiently waited for them to come home. She doesn't think that her actions could have caused such a strong exacerbation from the house master, so she guessed that it must have been some exterior factors. She cautiously closed her folder and let her gaze dawdle to the awkward tall boy.

 

"It didn't go well." It was an observation rather than a question, but Chanyeol replied with an inept nod.

 

He scratched the back of his head, showing a klutzy smile. "How come you're still here ? I thought that you had gone home."

 

"I wanted to, but you didn't lock the door when you rashly left after asking me about Donghae's address. So I stayed to guard the house." She shrugged her shoulder furtively.

 

"Oh really ? Sorry. But that's nice of you to have stayed. Thanks."

 

Victoria didn't want to sound cold, but maybe it was the fatigue from work that made her words roll like that. "Stop saying that I am nice. I'm just doing my job."

 

Chanyeol just stood agape, Victoria heaved a sigh. "Anyway, since you're back, I'll be going then." She put her things in her bag, meticulously arranging everything like before.

 

"Ah right. It's getting late. You should go." Chanyeol's grin re his lips. "Do you want me to walk you home ?"

 

"No, it's alright. I've come with my car." She replied as she put on her heels, wearing her jacket and her scarf she had let on the coat rack.

 

Her hand was on the doorknob, she hesitated a moment, before letting it slip away to turn towards the boy.

 

"You know..." She opened , something akin to concern yet not so simply described veiled her visage, but was replaced the second later by her impassible cast. She advised, "Reality isn't like movies, it's much more simple. Maybe Yoona did only commit suicide, Heechul can't accept that fact and is trying to find an excuse for her death. He just need someone he could to blame. But you shouldn't incite him, it's nothing good for him to cling on the past."

 

The imperturbable calmness in her voice made it seem like it didn't concern her, as though indifferent.

However, Chanyeol discerned the mild candor that dully glinted in her hazel eyes; and, for the first time since in a long time, he wore off his manufactured grin.

 

"Yoona didn't commit suicide. She is stronger than that."

 

A tepid, small, unnoticeable smile almost graced Victoria's face. Almost. "If you say so."

 

And she turned the doorknob, stepping her first step in the darkness of the night.

 

"Qian."

 

She halted. "Victoria." She immediately corrected.

 

 

Hesitation faltered his mouth, doubts bounded his lips.

 

Chanyeol reminded himself that he was a current of air, that he didn't involve himself in anything, in anybody, in any matter. He reminded himself that he was a drifting boat without anchor.

 

But, maybe...

 

 

"Victoria... What happened between Heechul and Donghae ?"

 

Victoria didn't even look back. "A man and a woman meeting secretly..." Her words hung in the air as she looked up towards the bedrooms (one particular bedroom). "I don't know, you should ask Heechul." But her answer was already speaking itself.

 

Chanyeol wanted to add something, but was stopped by her chuckle (a transparent, a lifeless chuckle)

 

"You know, maybe you're thinking too highly of Yoona. People change, she is no exception."

 

 

And her words remained like a ghost, while she disappeared in the night, and he could only watch her go.

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

A/N :

Humph. My chapters keep getting longer and longer.  I'm not trying to chase you away by scaring you with the chapter's lenght, really. (a)
Anyway, we're going smoothly with the story, everything's slowly getting in place.
Cameos to appear in the next chapter. Guess who ? ;)

Thanks again to the subscribers, to the silent readers, to those who take the pain to comment, thanks thanks thanks !