Falling At Her Feet

Falling At Her Feet

Onew was the kindest, sweetest and funniest man she had ever met. He was also the clumsiest. From day one, he had been falling at her feet and that was exactly how they first met. As she walked across the university campus, lukewarm caramel cappuccino in one hand, and a stack of books and folders balanced in the other, it was almost inevitable that someone would bump into her. As she was looking over her notes from her Chinese class, a rather lanky man with characteristically messy, chestnut hair, and was also trying to text and walk at the same time, managed to walk straight into her. The books and papers went flying and the cappuccino drenched them both.

The pair of them made to pick up the notes that were scattered across the ground but managed to bump into each other again. This time though, they managed to bang their heads together. Onew massaged his head and looked up at the girl in front of him. She had long brown hair that she was clearly trying to hold out of her face as the wind blew it across in front of her eyes, and she was wearing a light blue denim jacket with a brown satchel bag across her shoulder, which was probably filled with pens, pencils and a tonne of notepads. As they both looked up, Onew looked at her chocolate brown eyes, that looked a lot like the ones he saw every time he looked in the mirror.

“I’m so s-sorry,” it stuttered. “I can be so clumsy sometimes.”

“I know. Everything he does is the Onew Condition~” she sang and watched as he was at a loss for words.

“I take it you know me then.”

She put a finger on her chin and pondered for a moment. “I know of you. I can’t say that I know you though.”

Onew was taken aback at her answer and was so surprised that he managed to fall backwards, safely landing on his . She giggled and picked up the rest of her work before offering a hand to Onew.

“I’m Tamara,” she said with a warm smile.

“Onew.”

“I know,” she laughed shyly. “But if you don’t mind, I’d rather call you Jinki-ssi.”

He smiled and dusted himself off. “I don’t mind. But you can drop the ssi and just call me oppa.”

“Alright then Jinki-oppa, so what brings you to Seoul University?”

“I was going to pick up Taemin and take him to rehearsal, but I got here too early. I forgot he has afternoon classes today.”

Tamara laughed at his honesty as she fell into step beside him. The pair began making their way to the nearby coffee shop on the campus. “I should probably buy you a new coffee seeing as we’re both wearing the other one.”

“No, oppa, if anything I should treat you to coffee. I should buy something sweet for my new oppa.”

Onew raised an eyebrow and as they approached the counter to order, they both placed their money down and as Onew said “I’ll have whatever she’s having,” Tamara also said “I’ll have whatever he’s having.” While the barrister just stared at them in disbelief, the pair just laughed at themselves.

“I guess we’re two of a kind aren’t we?” Onew mused. “Put your money away,” he said to her before turning back to the barrister. “I’ll have a caramel cappuccino.”

“I’ll have the same,” Tamara said, with a rosy tint in her cheeks and a wide smile on her face. “We even seem to like the same coffee oppa.”

Onew paid for the coffees and led Tamara over to a small booth in the furthest corner of the café. As they sat down and sipped their coffees, Onew asked a question that had been on his mind since he bumped into Tamara. “Where are you from? It’s just that, I saw a lot of your notes earlier were written in Chinese, but you don’t look Chinese.”

“No, I’m from America, although I did spend a year at a university in England. I’m studying Mandarin Chinese.”

“Oh wow. I would have loved to do something like that. But I’ve got my boys to look after, so I can’t start studying at university now. And I certainly can’t go to another country to study.”

“The other members must be so grateful to have such a caring and selfless hyung as their leader,” Tamara mused.

“No, I’m just their silly leader.”

Tamara reached out and put her hand on top of his. Onew looked up at her, slightly surprised. “I’m sure they think more of you than just their silly leader. They probably perform their absolute hardest on stage to thank their wonderful leader.”

The pair drank their coffees, exchanging small chat and finding out about each other. But for Tamara most of what she learnt from Onew was just how deep his obsession with chicken was. Once they’d finished, Onew offered to walk her home.

Outside Tamara’s flat, they paused before she opened the door. “I had a lot of fun today Jinki-oppa. Perhaps one day in the future we will meet up again.”

“I’d like that. Wanna exchange phone numbers?” Onew asked with a blush.

Tamara smiled and gave her phone to Onew, who gave her his phone number. “Can you trust me with your phone number oppa?” she joked. “More importantly, will you remember to call me?”

“Of course I will!”

“Mmkay… Did you remember to pick up Taemin?”

Onew stared at her before babbling a collection of words that might have been an apology as he sped out of sight. Tamara just stood their chuckling to herself and entered her flat.


The following morning, Tamara was woken at approximately 10am by her phone buzzing on the bedside table. She looked at the screen to see Jinki<3 displayed across the screen. She groggily answered the call, “Yoboseyo?”

“Hi..um, do you wanna hang out today?”

She smiled widely. “Give me ten minutes?”