9

Of Lust, Lies, and Love

 

CHAPTER NINE

 

“That smells nice.”

 

Kyungsoo shifted his attention from the spaghetti sauce he’s cooking to the speaker. He then bowed a perfect ninety degrees though his head ache a little.

 

“Good morning ma’am. Ahm, I—I, ahm…” He couldn’t find the right words to say as he wanted to say greet the lady, say thank you to her, apologize for her disturbance and ask why, how, and when did he end up being there, at the same time.

 

The lady just smiled to him. She stepped closer to him and patted his back.

 

This felt nice, and new. He thought. He doesn’t know if this is what he’s missing from a mother and if—wait! Is she a mother already? He asked himself but was interrupted when the lady handed him the spatula.

 

“Wake up little boy, you’re sauce’s burning.”

 

Then he realized that he’s actually cooking and then his eyes got bigger than they already are.

 

“Oh—oh—oh. I’m sorry. Ahm, I kind of, drifted off. Happens always. Sorry agai—“

 

“Don’t worry boy, it’s okay. But hmm… I think, I could forgive you fully if you give me a very delicious meal this morning. What about that?” She sit at the chair near the counter as Kyungsoo salute her and smiled though it hurts to stretch any muscle on his face. She then gestured him to continue what he’s doing.

 

He’s done with his kimchi spaghetti—a specialty his mother taught him- and is only plating it when he heard footsteps coming from the stairs.

 

“Mom, it’s already 7:30 in the morning. I took a bath even though the boy’s still missing and I figured I should just go to school and spend half of my day…in…it.” He then looked at the boy that just got down from the stairs and he just looks so familiar.

 

Oh! The boy’s in here. And, he looks familiar? Jongin thought.

 

Jongin’s mother gave them confused looks before she spoke, “Do you two, ahm, kind of, know each other?”

 

“He looks familiar.” They answered in unison and that made Kyungsoo’s eyes get bigger than usual which Jongin’s mom found cute that she squealed like a pig.

 

“OHMYGOD! You’re so cute! OMG OMG OMG! He just looks exactly like Pororo! Right, son?!” SON?! That guy’s this lady’s son?!

 

Pororo? Well, uhm. Yeah? Jongin preferred not to answer her question and just stepped closer to the counter and sat at his mother’s side.

 

“Who is he, mom? And what’s he doing in here?” He asked, still keeping his rather cold demeanor.

 

“Oh! I forgot, okay, boys, why don’t you introduce yourselves to each other. Okay? Yes? Then let’s start with you cutie!” She again smiled overly cheerful to Kyungsoo, which she named, cutie. Too manly for a man Mom. Jongin sarcastically thought as he attempted to roll his eyes only to be reminded by his mother’s words not too long ago.

 

Just then, the boy with the bandaged head bowed ninety degrees.

 

“I’m Do Kyungsoo. 18 years old, and at Senior year.” He retreated back to his previous stance and handed the plate of kimchi spaghetti to the other boy’s Mom. Which in turn turned into a 5-year-old kid that just received her favorite brand of doll.

 

But as she realized that her son still hasn’t spoken, she nudged hi side and gave him a glare which Jongin answered by mouthing ‘WHAT?’ His mother then rolled her eyes at Jongin and told him to ‘Introduce yourself young man!’

 

Kyungsoo was rather entertained with the scene in front of him. He’s exchanging glances from the boy to his mother and vice versa as they continue to bicker at each other.

 

He then remembered when he and his mother used to do those when they’re arguing what to cook for the day, or what ingredient should they use or if they missed any, or, just anything. He missed his mother.

 

----

 

“Mom, why is he looking at me?” Jongin asked his mother in a hushed tone, careful not to let the staring boy hear him.

 

“I don’t know, but… ah! I knew it! He’s drifting off again!” His mother then ate a forkful of spaghetti which Jongin swore smelled and looked different from what he’s used to.

 

“Just don’t mind him.” His mother added but Jongin could not care less to the food his mother’s eating.

 

“ Do you want some? That boy sure is a very good cook! C’mon, taste some. I’m sure you’ll like thi—“

 

“I’MSORRYIDRIFTTEDOFFAGAIN!” Kyungsoo shouted at the top of his lungs as he bowed for the nth time already.

 

And just after that, Jongin swore his arms and thighs are severely damaged by his mother’s antics, followed by a swarm of ‘OMG! OMG! OMG! He’sooooooooooooooo cute!’ s.

 

Jongin then cleared his throat to somehow be reminded that he’s still there. And luckily, his mother sensed it.

 

“Oh sorry Kyungie! C’mon, son, introduce yourself.” Kyungie?! What was that?! Kyungsoo plus cutie?! Wow mom. That’s so manly for a nineteen year old. He thought.

 

“Kai. 17.” He satisfied himself as he looked directly into his hyung’s eyes. They’re bigger than usual but are not creepy, they suit hyung tho. He thought to himself as he feels like he’s being absorbed by the large orbs staring directly at him.

 

And just like that,

 

“Ah! You’re the boy yesterday!” they, again, shouted in unison. What a coincidence, isn’t it?

 

But Kyungsoo seemed to be the first one to bring back his reverie as he felt the throbbing pain on the back of his head. He closed his eyes as he hold onto the kitchen counter for support. But the pain’s just so unbearable and then, everything went pitch black.

 

----

 

Thanks to years of dancing and also his young age as his reflexes vaulted him from the kitchen counter to the other side supporting the again unconscious Kyungsoo.

 

“Mom, he fainted.” He carried Kyungsoo bridal style back to his room as he chose not to go to school today. Besides, there’s nothing to do at school aside from sleeping on classes and letting his fans do his notes and assignments. That’s the Jongin you know when at school. Or as much as he likes it, he’s Kai.

 

His mother soon followed them with the plate of still warm kimchi spaghetti in one hand. He handed it to Jongin who’s busy changing his clothes to a much more comfortable one.

 

“C’mon Jongin, eat first.” She then left the two with a promise of coming back as soon as she finished cooking their lunch.

 

Jongin then eyed the food, the strange looking but still looks delicious food on his hand and then the one who made it. Then, he tried a forkful. Determined he can’t taste it, he took another one. And then it continued until he can’t have any. And that’s when he got surprised, he finished the food he’s sure doesn’t taste less than fantastic.

 

It’s now his favorite—Do Kyungsoo’s Kimchi Spaghetti.