Chapter 27

Can't Hold Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 27

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

        The sun was now high up in the sky now. Countless of colorful kites were up in the sky too. More people came to the beach shore and more children were running around the boardwalk. But to me, it felt like it was just me and Baekhyun and no one else.

 

 

       My head was still lying on Baekhyun's broad shoulder. It felt so comfortable just leaning on to him on a summer day, that I eventually had my eyes closed. He gently had his left arm around my waist and laid his head on top of mine. We sat like that all morning, feeling peaceful.

 

 

        After a while longer, my phone started to vibrate and made a notification sound in my pocket. I winced feeling disturbed. I stuffed my hand in my pocket and reached my phone out. When I unlocked my phone, a message popped up. It was Kai of course, I wasn't surprised. Who else would contact me at this time?

 

 

        The doctor had to reschedule my appointment to 12:00 pm. Meet me at the doctors as soon as you get this message. 

 

 

        Why so early? I looked at the time on my phone. It was already 10:27 am. I closed my eyes for a second, feeling stressed out. I stood up and wore my socks and shoes back on. 

 

 

        "Is everything okay?" Baekhyun asked as he also stood up to put his socks and shoes on without knowing what's going on. 

 

 

        "I gotta make a rain check. Kai's appointment is at 12:00 pm," I blurted. "Sorry.." I rubbed my arm and looked down. I didn't want to see Baekhyun's reaction.

 

        

        "Oh.." Baekhyun said. He paused for a second as he continued to tie his neon green shoelaces. He looked back up at me. This time we were looking at each other. "Do you need me to drive you there?"

 

        

        "No, it's okay," I said, as I started jogging back. "I'll see you later okay? Sorry." I waved to him. He stood there watching me. He half smiled and gave me a half wave, but he wasn't being his usual self. He looked almost burdened. I took a deep breath and sighed as I continued to jog. Sometimes, I wonder what's going on in Baekhyun's mind. I wonder what he's thinking when I mention Kai's name. But most importantly, if he feels tired of me.

 

 

        I finally got out of the taxi cab across from the streets of Kai's doctor office. After taking a quick shower more than an hour ago, I changed into green shorts and a white tank. I didn't even have the time to put on makeup so I had to put on light pink lipstick and less mascara in the car. 

 

 

        I waited for the light to change. Cars roamed back and forth on the road, as well as beeping their horns at each other. However, the sight of Kai sitting on the bench with the shady trees behind him was clear. I saw him with his red headphones on and something I never thought I would see him doing. He was reading a book. An actual book. Ever since I met him, he would always moan to me about how boring books were. If I told him to read, he would try, but would wind up falling asleep after one page. I guess after his incident, he became a whole different person. Even if he looked the same, inside, he was not the Kai I remembered when I first met him. 

 

 

        At last the light has changed. I walked calmly towards his direction. He was probably so into the book, he hasn't even noticed me when I sat right next to him. I gave him a few minutes, but he already closed the book, put it in his bag and took his headphones off and placed it around his neck. 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter