Chapter Two

Stendhal Mentality

Kim Jongdae has never quite liked rain. In fact-he's always despised it. The humidity ruined his perfectly styled locks and the water drenched his fashionable clothes. But as the perfectionist stepped off the train onto the damp Anyang soil, it was all that greeted him: dark, rumbling clouds heavy with forecasts of rain.

He cursed under his breath as he hurriedly checked his phone for the weather. Storms all throughout the week.

When his boss had come to him with a proposition for a promotion, the detective had jumped at the chance. Kim Jongdae had no idea that it called for a 'drop everything and move' to one of the smallest, wettest towns in Gyeonggido.

Just yesterday, he'd been the hot shot detective of the Homicide department of Bangbae. Now, the poor man was so utterly sure that he had stepped on a pile of dog crap. Jongdae's face immediately scrunched up into a grimace. Someone laughed from behind him.

"You must be the detective that Changmin sent," the man said, corners of his lips pulling up to form a friendly smile, "I'm Kim Minseok, your new Captain."

"Yeah. Hi, nice to meet you." Jongdae sighed, too busy with the mysterious brown substance staining his shoes.

Minseok raised an eyebrow at the rather blatant lack of response, but he shrugged.

"Must be hard for a city boy to be here. You know, too much fresh air and what not."

"Yeah. I like my air polluted and my trees plastic."

The captain barked out another laugh before clapping a shoulder onto his subordinate's. He picked up one of Jongdae's bags and gestured for the other to follow him.

"Let's head to the station. I've already got your first case for you."

 

~

 

"You've got to be kidding me."

Luhan looked up from his paperwork.

"What?" he asked, peering over to look at his new partner, "Oh, have you read the case file?"

"It's been closed for 15 years!"

"Give or take a year, yes. Is there a problem?"

Jongdae had only been in the station for about an hour, but he still knew Luhan enough to say confidently that the man enjoyed challenges (he could tell by the way Luhan kept advancing on a forever-rejecting Minseok). However, this particular case...Well, it was near impossible.

It had been closed as a freak car accident until a month ago, when it was reopened because of new evidence. A researcher skimming through past cases had discovered a strange trait from the two victims' corpses-both had unusually high alcohol percentages. It was so high that the only possible way that they could have had so much alcohol was if it was injected into them.

And so, the thought-to-be tragic drunk driving incident was reopened as a horrifying murder staged as an accident.

The new detective groaned, massaging his temples.

"Yes. There is a problem," he said with eyes boring into the manila folder opened in front of him, "The parents of both husband and wife are dead. Their workplaces and friends claim that they were both well liked and had no enemies. The only legitimate lead we have is the wife's younger brother who, I remind you, disappeared after claiming the couple's infant son."

Luhan grinned, a Cheshire-Cat-like smile spreading across his face.

"He didn't completely disappear."

Jongdae's eyes grew wide as his partner tossed him another file much thinner than the one before.

"According to interviews from close friends and neighbors, Kim Joonhee's younger brother, Kim Joonmyeon, was disowned after coming out to his parents that he was gay. Afterwards, he was scouted to Sunkyunkwan University as a scholarship student for their Pre-Med course. He was about to graduate when he was informed that his sister died." the blonde explained.

"Kim Joonmyeon took in his nephew, legally adopted him, dropped out of college, and moved away to Kwacheon," Jongdae muttered, "But the trail ends there."

Luhan's grin grew wider.

"You mean, Joonmyeon's trail ends there," he emphasized, flipping to the last page of the report, "Kim Jongin's trail is just starting. As a former orphanage resident, Jongin must report all of his personal information to Social Services. That's where we got his new identity."

"Kim Kai, current sophmore at Anyang Private Highschool for the Intellectually Advanced," Jongdae said as he quickly searched something up on the Police Database, "Which means that Kim Joonmyeon has to be..." A tap on the enter key. "Kim Suho, owner of Hwanggeum Cafe and Bookshop in the corner of 37th street and Main."

"Bingo."