Chapter One

Stendhal Mentality

Rain tapped against the window. The light pitter-patter served as an appropriate soundtrack to the sad scene that was taking place in the orphanage dorm room.

"Are you really leaving?" a child said to his friend.

A quick nod and the sound of a suitcase being zipped closed.

"Where is he taking you?"

Jongin looked down, eyes teary. He opened his mouth to reply, but hesitated.

"I...don't know."

The other boy sniffled as he rubbed at his own watery lashes.

"D-Don't forget me, okay?" he murmurred, clutching at Jongin, "Promise me."

"I won't. Do you promise that you won't forget me?"

"Of course."

The gentle coo of rain did little to muffle the sound of the children's sobs and soon-too soon-Jongin was taken away.

 

~

 

 

Kai looked out at the dreary sky from his spot in front of the classroom window. A dark cloud covered the sun and rain was inevitable. He wondered if he had remembered to bring his umbrella to school today.

"Class, this is Kyungsoo. He'll be joining us for the school year." Ms. Cho's voice echoed throughout the large classroom, hushing the students as well as Kai's thoughts.

Curious eyes focused on the young man at the front. Physically, he was a mere boy-short and thin in stature. But the wise, experienced look in his wide eyes told a different story.

"Hello, my name is Do Kyungsoo. It is a pleasure to meet you all." he said quietly.

At the sound of the boy's voice, Kai's head sprang up from the desk. It was so familiar, the smooth, mellifluous tone...Where had he heard it before?

"Kyungsoo, you can sit over there, next to Baekhyun." the teacher instructed.

The new student took his place and class resumed. Althroughout Ms. Cho's lesson on the human anatomy, Kai's brain was filled with fleeting memories of a soft smile, a reassuring pat...Things he vaguely recalled from his fragmented childhood.

"Class is dismissed. Break time until Mr. Park arrives for Pre-Calc."

Immediately, the students bolted toward Kyungsoo's desk with tons of unasked questions.

"Where are you from?"

"What do you like to do?"

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

It was expected for the sophmores to act so excited. After all, in their little town located in nowhere, Kyunggido, nothing ever happened. Ever.

Kyungsoo looked slightly bewildered, but kept his composure. With a cough and slight smile, the boy looked up at the other's and began to speak.

"I'm from Incheon. I like to draw. Oh, and no-I don't have a girlfriend."

His bright eyes sent a teasing glance to the many swooning girls while the boys clapped a hand on his back in friendly welcoming. Only Kai remained in his seat, too encompassed in his waning memories.

One of the boys held out a hand toward Kyungsoo, toothy grin displaying innocent cheer.

"I'm Chanyeol. I hope we can be friends."

Kyungsoo flashed back a grin, though not equally happy. He shook the other's hand.

"Me too."

The rest of the period passed by uneventfully.

 

~

 

By the end of the day, the sun had completely disappeared and heavy storm clouds spewed streams of water onto the highschool campus. Suho stood in front of Kai's classroom with a gentle smile and bright yellow umbrella in hand.

"You forgot to bring it."

"I know." the boy responded, a tired grin directed at his guardian.

The book keeper rubbed his nephew's forehead, smoothing out the worry creases, and smiled wider.

"Let's go home."

The two stepped out of the warm safety of the school and into the pouring rain, sharing tales about their day. A pair of almond eyes trailed them from the upstairs window-Kai's classroom.

"Are you sure it's him?"

"Positive."

"But he's so...changed."

A small chuckle filled the room as the headmaster twirled his pen around his fingers. His glasses perched precariously on top of his straight nose. High cheekbones and a strong jaw made his handsome face.

"So are you, Kyungsoo," he sighed, "so are you."

 

~

 

Sometimes, Joonmyeon has nightmares. Nightmares of his beloved sister and brother-in-law being hurled down a mountain cliff in their flaming car while their infant son lay at home, unknowing. Sometimes, the nightmares are about his ex-lover, who trampled on his heart and made it unable to love ever again. That is-until Jongin came into the picture.

When Joonmyeon came out as gay, he cut all ties with his homophobic parents and moved away to a small town. He hadn't even known when his sister, the only person he had trusted, was killed in a devastating accident. He was contacted 4 years later, when the authorities had finally found him.

The man immediately took his toddler nephew into his care, dropping out of college and sacrificing his promising career as a surgeon in order to raise Jongin properly. He was much younger than his sister, only 13 years older than Jongin himself, but he still felt responsible for the 5 year old.

However, Jongin was hated by the townspeople. They called him bad luck, saying that he had caused his parents' demise. To keep his nephew away from such slander, Joonmyeon moved them to an even more remote town, changing their names and histories along with it.

Now, they were Kim Suho and Kim Kai, the loving uncle and nephew. Suho claimed that Kai's parents lived abroad in America and had left him with the child, believing that a Korean should be raised on Korean soil. Ridiculous in some aspects, but the chauvinistic townspeople never questioned it.

The secret of the Kim's painful history would be kept between Suho and Kai, now and forever.