Racing for Raven

Day X Night

“Can you trace it ?” asked Key worrily.

“Wait a moment, please.” replied the specialist as he’s working with Key’s cellphone.

Key and Jonghyun decided to go to the police station, asking for help to track Amber’s signal. It’s a good thing that earlier Key had gotten his cellphone cleaned from the bug, and he’ll make sure that Max will never touch his cellphone ever again.

“Hurry up, she could move another inch any seconds now !!”

Jonghyun came back from the restroom and whispered to Key, “Come with me.”. Key left the booth and follow Jonghyun to the corridor, “What?”

He kept his voice low, “Why is everybody so calm? They have a fugitive to catch, but why everyone acts like there’s nothing going on?”

Key looked around to the work stations and found that what Jjong said is true. Everyone’s working, but not with Amber’s case. Usually, even though the field team had gone to do their job, the rest in this office are still working and connecting with them, exchanging information and all. Key knows which one is which team, and he knows the people who work with his dad, and one of those people are…actually drinking coffee right now.

 “Something’s not right.” Key nodded and walked to that officer.

The officer almost dropped his cup when he saw Key’s coming his way. He immediately sipped the rest of the coffee, wiping his mouth before finally greeted him, “Oh…hi Key ! Looking for Det. Kim?”

Key gave a bitter smile, “Ani. Just wanna see how you’re doing, Officer Gu.”

The nervous officer laughed awkwardly, “Ohohoho…that’s very kind of you, Key. I’m doing fine.”

“How’s the progress on Amber’s case? Has someone found her?” asked Key, watching the officer quickly sat back in his desk next to the coffee machine.

“Mmm…that’s confidential.” he answered nervously.

Key slammed his table softly, “Nothing about Amber is confidential to me. Tell me what’s going on, and I’ll make sure this conversation is never happened.”

Officer Gu gulped hardly, “I’m sorry Key, I know he’s your frien…”

“SHE! Amber is a SHE!” Key almost shouted if Jonghyun didn’t poke his shoulder to calm down.

“Right…She is your friend. But you have no rights to peek into the case. Let your dad and his team handle it… arasseo ?”

Key gave him a sharp look, “Ok, but you have to answer this one honestly.”

“De ?”

“Why didn’t Amber drink the coffee I gave her ?”

Officer Gu seemed to be clueless, “I’m sorry, I don’t understand…?”

Key scoffed, “Yah, of course you don’t. Because I don’t understand either.”

***

That scene popped again.

The view of the city from above, a crushed car at the side of the street.

That girl.

She’s wearing her high school uniform with a gym shorts instead of her skirt. That tomboy ran to the crushed car and was frozen when she saw the dead bodies inside the car. People started to gather around her and a kind guy called an ambulance.

The voice of her father echoed in my mind, “I could always count on you, Max.”

I was hiding behind the shadows, watching all of that before I could even do anything.

That girl is crying in front of the car, in front of the plate number.

Smart girl, checking the plate number to make sure it was the right car. Unfortunately, it was the right car, it was her parent’s car.

Max opened his eyes and found himself lying down at the couch of his living room. He stood up fast and realized that he’s still in his working suit, complete with his coat and shoes. Did I fall asleep?

“Changmin-ssi !”

He looked around to find the voice and found his cellphone vibrating on the couch. He laughed to himself to think that he might have pressed the button with his when he was asleep.

“De, talk to me.” he picked it up at last.

 “I couldn’t contact Captain, so I call you instead.”

“Something urgent?”

“I’ve found Amber! Key and his friend managed to call her and they asked me to locate her position by following her cellphone signal…AH! HAJIMA! HAJIMA!”

“Yoboseo..? Are you alright ?” Max heard a loud thud and some rambling over the line.

“Changmin hyeong, it’s me, Key.”

Max chose to stay silent when Key took over the line.

“I know you know something, hyeong. Spill it out. You and abeoji are hiding something from me.”

Max chuckled, “What do you want to know then?”

Key pressed every word, “Why is Amber running away?”

Well, this is interesting, Max thought. “How about a little game?” he began, “If you found her first, I’ll answer 1 question from you. But if I found her first, means you gotta ask your dad for the answer.”

“Joh-a. Starts right after this conversation ended.”

The junior detective laughed a little, ”Ok. Hana…”

“Dul…”

“Set !” Max ended the countdown.

CLICK !

***

Jonghyun kicked the gas after he fastened his seatbelt, while Key is showing him the direction. It’s getting late and Key’s top attention now is Max.

They have to be faster than him.

He had to find out why. He need to know what’s going on with that tomboy.

“It’s still around Apgujeong, so we have a chance.” said Key following the address given by the IT specialist.

Jonghyun took a sharp turn on the junction, “Is this the right direction?”

Key looked around and nodded, “Yes, I think it is. Come on, we gotta hurry !”

***

The garage rolling door is slowly opened, revealing a black sport bike parked inside. Max grabbed his helmet and quickly ride on his bike. He pressed some combination on his smartphone and his apartment is automatically locked, every room, every door. The bike’s engine went wild as he turned it on. He hold the same address, already memorized.

“Come on Amber, just go home with me…”

***

The night breeze didn’t stop Key and Jonghyun to speed up on the crowded street. Jonghyun’s driving while listening to Key’s direction, following the address. Key is happy that Amber didn’t move anywhere and is willing to wait for him. As soon as he thought of that, the IT specialist called him, “I’ll send you the new position.”

“What?? She’s moving ?” Key hinted Jonghyun to stop the car.

“Since 10 minutes ago actually…”

“Mwo ?? Why didn’t you tell me earlier ?” Key almost jumped off his seat.

“Jeosunghamnida… but she’s now remain static. The signal doesn’t move anymore, so you better hurry !”

Key turned off his phone and sighed heavily, “What is wrong with her, ah ???”

“Don’t worry, we will find her !” Jonghyun peeked through the new e-mail sent to Key’s cellphone. He smiled, “I know that place, kinda creepy but…hell yeah. Let’s go.” he pulled the gear and dashed off to take another route.

***

Max slid back his phone into his coat after reading the new address. He raced with himself through the streets, ignoring all the signs and other vehicles. He decided to use an extra speed and flashed through the dark side of Apgujeong. He wondered if Key had arrived first, but he shrugs that thought off. Whoever meets her first, he is still going to take her back with him.  

He slowed down when he got nearer to an abandoned building. All the windows have cracked, even some walls had been torn down. He let his bike entered the building and parked it there.  There was no sound and no one around. The only sound he could hear is the sound of his shoes stepping on the dusty cement cautiously.

“Amber ?” he called out to the empty pillars.

Sounds of soft footsteps were heard.

Max quickly walked around the building to find the source of the sound. He found her standing stiffly behind a pillar and she was shocked to see him. “Where’s Key?”

He grabbed her hand, “You need to come with me first.”

Amber snatched off his hand, “I’m asking you, where’s Key oppa?!”

The sound of screeching tires echoed into the building, when a blinding light into them. Both Max and Amber could hear two guys slamming car doors and rushed toward them.

“AMBER !” Key’s voice soared through the empty spaces.

Amber stepped back from Max, hearing Key’s voice.

She smirked.

Max wanted to yell but she’s faster than him.

She opened her latex face, revealing her long brown hair and beautiful aegyo face.

“Suzy. I should’ve known it.” Max scoffed bitterly.

Key and Jonghyun stopped in front of her, almost give her a massive hug. “What’s…going on?” Key’s scanning the girl in front of him that he recognized as Suzy, the new girl on college.

Jonghyun’s eyes fell at the latex face that Suzy’s been holding, “Is that a wig?”

“YAH ! Who…what are you?! Amber…where is she?” said Key in a trembling voice.

Suzy showed her latex ‘Amber-face’ right under Key’s nose, “Here is your Amber.”

Key’s staring at the latex face in horror as he carefully stepped away from her. His mind is trying to proceed a truth, but he found nothing. He just doesn’t understand.

“Uh. I’m wasting my time here.” said Max as her wore his helmet back. But Suzy clicked her finger and suddenly a slim figure popped out behind a pilar. Max was aware of the threat, but he couldn’t go anywhere as the slim figure got closer to him.

“Fei eonnie, please handle him for a while.” said Suzy as he approached both Key and Jonghyun, who’s exchanging glances in fear.

***

Lights already off and both Dara and Minzy were already fall into a deep sleep on Dara’s bed. Amber’s still opening her eyes widely on the extra bed, unsure what to do with that small patch Jia gave her a few minutes ago. That pink-haired girl popped on the window and left her a small black patch-like a plaster-, with a note, “Put it on the back of your neck. (Don’t worry it won’t kill) Think of anyone close to you and rub that patch.“

Amber’s looking at that patch closely, searching for any dirty chips or any other spyware. She couldn’t take a risk using that gadget, if it could put her friends in possible danger, or if it could cause…something she hasn’t known yet.

“Ah what the heck.” she sat up and put that patch on the back of her neck, and it automatically stick to her skin.

The first person flashed on her mind is Max, and then Key…and right at that moment she felt like she’s leaving her body, entering her deep mind with a slight headache and when she opened her eyes, she’s not in Dara’s room anymore.

She’s in the back seat of a car, a moving car, and she could see Key at the front seat, with Jonghyun on the driver seat.

“Oh, you use the patch !” said a voice right next to her, as she turned and found Suzy sitting behind Jonghyun’s seat.

“What…” Amber glanced at the rearview mirror and saw herself…blurry. “Is this…am I a kind of… hologram now?”

Suzy nodded, “Yep, and you better hurry up eonnie. You only have 10 minutes.”

Amber put her hand into her cheek and felt a soft vibration from her action. She also kicked Key’s seat in front of her, and her holographic foot really went through it. She couldn’t help but smile happily, playing with her new awesome ‘body’.

Key turned to the back seat to see what’s going on and was surprised to find Amber in that weird blurry figure. “Ok Suzy, tell me what’s going on.” he said tiredly.

Suzy sighed, “You guys go, have a talk. I’ll pass.” she jumped off the seat to the side of the road, managed to surprise Jonghyun who yelled at her, “Hey, at least tell me if you wanna get outta my car !”

From his rear mirror, Jonghyun could see Suzy waved at them.

“HEY, where are you now?” Key moved to the back seat easily and sat next to Amber’s hologram.

Amber’s still looking back at Suzy, “How could she get into this car?”

Key’s trying to look at her, at least he wanted to know what is she wearing right now. She’s wearing a pajama pants and a t-shirt, looked pretty comfortable for a girl who hadn’t come home for a while. “Yah answer me, are you staying somewhere?”

“Oppa, you shouldn’t get close to that girl ! She’s dangerous.”

“Suzy has told me everything. About replacing you, about Taemin’s bike that was wrecked by Max…” Key finally explained.

“Mwo…? Max was the one behind it??”

Key nodded.

Amber’s hologram turned a bit shaky, “Suzy is a part of a secret organization. I know this might sound stupid, but this…whole thing, is beyond your world. I don’t know who Max really is, I don’t know who Suzy really is. I just  can’t trust them, so you better don’t !”

Key showed off his sharp look again, “I’m not that stupid! But knowing that you’re somewhere safe, I think I could trust her a little.”

“I can take care of myself. You guys don’t have to be worry, ok?” replied Amber.

Jonghyun spilled, “You want us NOT to worry? I mean, you’ve been a hacker to pay your tuition?! Do I mean nothing to you?!!” he glared at her from the rear mirror, his glance was hurtful.

“It’s because- -“

“Geuman. I don’t wanna hear it. How do you think Victoria and the others will react to this…?” Jonghyun kicked the gas in temper.

“Yah, yah, you have no right to scold her at times like this!” Key stopped him.

Jonghyun scoffed, “Right…because you’re the only one who always has the right to scold her! Then scold her now! Tell her to stop all this madness and go home!”

“Jjong, SHUT UP!” Key finally barked. Jonghyun slammed the steer in anger.

“Mianhaeyo… But I have no choice!” Amber poured out her guilt.

Key smiled bitterly, “I could’ve scolded you, really. But until everything is clear, I can’t do anything to you…” he touched her holographic nose but his finger went through…

He scoffed, “...uh, I can’t even touch you now…”

I wish I could really be here either...

Amber’s hologram turned blurry and started to fade, “Key oppa, Jonghyun oppa, this is my thing. I’m the one who’s responsible, and I’ll comeback as soon as I fix everything. Be careful. Trust no one, ok?”

“Yah, but seriously at least let us know where you live !” Key wanted to grab her hands, but all he got is a slight electrifying shock. She faded in a blue hazy light and popped, vanished into thin air. “You… ohtokke… how could you just disappear like that?! Yah answer me!!!”

***

Amber opened her eyes in a shock and noticed that she’s back in Dara’s room, still sitting like how she was. She picked out the patch off her neck and slipped it under the pillow. So that pink hair girl didn’t lie to me…

She felt something’s flickering on her nose, so she touched it. Is it because Key touched my nose before?

She glanced over Dara and Minzy who’s already drown inside their own dreams. She grabbed her blanket, trying to get to sleep as well. There were so many things going on in that short 10 minutes but there’s still only a little she could understand.

Damn you Miss A, why did you involve Key and Jonghyun into this?

***

to be continued...

kekeke... thanks for your supports by commenting and subscribing to this story >.<

Jeongmal kamsahamnida~ *bow*