Are First Times Always Like This? (Sungyeol POV)

When I'm In Love...?

 

A season has passed and it feels like this country's being steamed for some reason. Since it's been so hot, my friends and I decided to have a beach party for a day or two. There's Lee Sungjong, a childhood friend and college classmate who never really seems to be afraid of anything; Kim Myungsoo, who's an attractive piece of weird that I've somehow been fond of; and Kim Sunggyu, the grandpa (well, he really isn't that old, just two years difference) who was in charge of brining more people. it's great to kill time like this, just playing under the sea and sun, forgetting all the stress and worries in life. It reminded me of a special memory a few years ago...
 
 
I groaned as my eyes began to flutter open and welcome in the harsh rays of sunlight passing through my window. I noticed the blanket messily placed just a few inches from my feet and I realized that I didn't feel really cold at all. In fact, it's gotten a bit hotter than usual here.
 
With my senses coming back, I got up and squinted my eyes, trying to filter the amount of sunlight entering my iris untl I've gotten accustomed to the sudden brightness that the world had to offer. It's been a while since I woke up while having this weird feeling in me, excitment perhaps.
 
Summers remind me of a certain orchestral piece, something that slowly creeps up on you, then it becomes something like a roller coaster ride with so much ups and downs. I reached for my phone on the little bedside table but my eyes landed on the calendar.
 
"June 15th, Beach Outing with friends." I read out loud and it took a while to register what it said. As I realized the meaning of those words, I ran to and fro, preparing all the stuff I should bring to the beach. After a good hour of packing, repacking, re-repacking, and finalizing, I was all set. I texted my friends that I'll be there in a while.
 
I took a deep breath of fresh air and suddenly my system feels calmed and relaxed. Whatever they put in the summer air, I'm hoping it lasts until the next summer. It took about fifteen minutes from home to there, and when I arrived, I was welcomed happily with a lot of cheer. 
 
They're a rowdy bunch, as usual. And to my surprise, they dragged me at the center of the circle they made, along with another guy. "Myungsoo!" I exclaimed, while the guy just waved casually. "What's going on? Why are we here?" I asked, hoping to have clarity but nope, he just gave me a shrug. Note to self, never expect smart answers from Kim Myungsoo.
 
The next thing I knew, I was biting a Pepero stick at one end with Myungsoo at the other. I know that I have a crush on Myungsoo but this is too much. Yes, I have a crush on this Myungsoo guy. But this is strange, my heart isn't reacting the way it usually does. I'll just shrug this off and focus on not kissing the guy.
 
The game ended with a satisfied Myungsoo and a cheering crowd. It was embarrassing but I'm thankful I didn't get to kiss someone. They were all playing around and here I am, contemplating on which food I should grab and eat at a distance. All that time, I can feel something at my back, like that feeling you get when you know someone's staring down at you. It's weird because everytime I turn around, I don't see anyone, well, there's nobody in my line of sight at least.
 
I eventually picked a morsel and finished it as I took a stroll around the beach, enjoying the scenery. The sunset was very calming, it made me forget about the noise around me. Not just the noise, but my awareness as well. I guess you could say I was in my autopilot state. My foot took me to a crowd and suddenly, I felt my arm being pulled.
 
I was back to earth and I didn't like the pounding that my heart did. It was deafening, and it made me dizzy, and feverish. 'This is not good.' I thought and gulped. The only words that made sense that time would be the introduction earlier and "Oh, it's my friend, Lee Sungyeol. Say hi, Yeollie." That was Howon speaking and all I could do was to be shocked.
 
I didn't care about my facial expressions anymore. I'm just hoping the dim of the night was enough to cover the light tint gracing my cheeks. "N-Nice to meet you, Tree Hyun." I stuttered. Why I was stuttering, I'll never know. His name was unusual though. Tree... It's kinda unique. And, as expected, he burst out into laughter. I put on an embarrassed expression, knowing my cheeks are already redder than they should be.
 
Just as the awkward meet-and-greet-plus-embarrassing-myself session, I was called out by Sungjong to join a game of theirs. As I needed something to make me forget what has just happened, I agreed to join without hesitation. Soon enough, we were running around the edge of the shore, laughing out loud and forgetting the worries the world has to offer. What I can't forget, though, was the feeling of someone staring at me intently. I didn't mind it, but deep down within me, I was hoping it would be that Tree Hyun guy.
 
We were then to clean the traces of of merrymaking. I was off to pick up the pieces of trash scattered around the area, and his laugh echoes at the back of my head. I turned around, but he isn't laughing, rather, he was smiling.
 
I didn't actually remember much after that. My emotions got too overwhelming over the fact that he was looking at me. To be honest, I could still recall how my fast and strong my heartbeat was at that time, even feel it again while thinking of what happened before. I looked up at the sky and smiled at the thoughts then suddenly a familiar figure was seen at the corner of my eye. I never really did give it a clearer look, though, because I believe that it couldn't be him.
 
To me, years after that encounter, he had become surreal.
 
A silhouette.
 
A mirage.
 
An illusion.
 
A dream.
 
 
a/n: I'm sorry this took too long to update T.T i somehow lost my muse for writing fanfiction and the demands for college were suddenly too much. ;---;