Light-Up Your Life: Final

Light-Up Your Life [SIOC One-shot Collection]

 

            Buildings passed by in a blur as Sungyeol and JuNa stood amongst the crowd of passengers in the bus. Light gray clouds stretched across the sky, casting a dark hue over the city and dampening the moods of the commuters. Cold air rushed through the vehicle at every stop, chilling the bundled up travelers.

            JuNa shivered and held onto Sungyeol, breathing in his comforting scent. Her grip tightened around him as the bus jerked to a stop, startling a few of the other riders as well. One by one, people began to get off at their stops, opening up seats for those still standing. A seat next to JuNa became available at the next stop. She scanned the aisle, checking for any passengers who needed a seat. A couple of seats down stood an elderly lady, clutching onto the pole with much difficulty. She was struggling to steady herself in the moving vehicle, stumbling with each push from another rider or jerk of the bus. JuNa frowned at the young, able students sitting down around her. They ignored her, choosing to play on their phones instead of standing and offering their seat to the elderly woman. Angered, she knew she had to do something about it. Turning to Sungyeol, she poked his side to get his attention.

            “Oppa, can you call the elderly woman over. This seat next to me is open.” He nodded his head and she saw him look over everyone for the older woman. Once spotted, he cleared his throat and spoke over the noise.

            “Excuse me, Halmoni! There’s a seat open back here,” he called out, eyeing the sitting students with a judgmental glare. He made a motion for her to come over, making sure she knew that he was talking to her. Other passengers made way for her to get through and she was finally able to safely sit down.

            “Thank you, young man. I wouldn’t have seen this seat if it weren’t for you,” she wheezed, still out of breath from her struggle against the unsteady bus. Sungyeol smiled at her and shook his head.

            “No problem, Halmoni. You should really be thanking my girlfriend, though. She was the one who told me to call you over,” Sungyeol smiled. JuNa blushed lightly, hiding her face in the front of his blazer. He chuckled at her reaction and nudged her away, turning her to face the woman. The lady smiled gratefully at JuNa, who quickly turned back to Sungyeol and buried her face in his jacket.

            “Thank you. You are a thoughtful person.” The woman leaned over to look JuNa in the eyes, but the younger girl kept herself hidden. “She’s quite the shy one, isn’t she?”

            “Yeah, just a bit. She’s not very social, so I’ll receive your thanks on her behalf. Take care and get home safely, Halmoni,” Sungyeol bowed his head. He turned JuNa around and pushed her towards the doors as the bus pulled up to the curb at their stop.

            “Thank you, again, kids. Again, I am very grateful for you help, young lady.”

            JuNa smiled inside, a bunch of ‘no problems’ and ‘you’re welcomes’ running through her mind. She had so many words she wanted to say to the elderly woman, but none of them came out. None of them could come out. As much as she wanted to say something to the lady, she was too afraid to say anything at all.

            She understands, right? Besides, actions speak louder than words…I hope.

--

            “JuNa! Look!” Sungyeol exclaimed, jumping up and down with excitement. He swung their hands wildly, pointing up to the sky with a huge grin on his face. “It’s snowing!”

            Tiny flakes drifted down from the gray clouds, settling down on all surfaces and melting upon contact. To Sungyeol’s dismay, it was still too warm for the snow to stick. However, he was ecstatic nonetheless, for the first snowfall finally marked the beginnings of a likely white Christmas. And he liked having a white Christmas.

            The duo scurried into a small café, brushing off tiny wet droplets at the entrance. Warmth and a light hum of conversation welcomed them into the hidden haven. Smiling, JuNa led Sungyeol over to the line-up, hugging his arm lightly. Other customers squeezed by, nudging her as they passed. They apologized to her softly and looked at her with a nod, only to be startled by her cold expression.

            “Nana, stop scaring innocent people. You’re not in school anymore.” He tugged her towards him and slung his arm around her shoulder. Turning her to face him, he gave her a smile and shook his head. She sighed with a pout, nodding her head, his message to her delivered loud and clear.

            “I’m sorry, Oppa. I can’t help it sometimes.”

            “I know, Nana, I know.”

--

            They sat huddled on the couch inside the booth, steaming mugs resting on the table, their snacks long ago eaten. Snow began to settle outside, sticking onto everything as the temperatures began to drop with the increase of dark clouds. Together they watched the snow float by, giggling as the wind swirled the flakes around in whimsical designs. They imagined invisible wind fairies flying about, creating the whirls and swirls in the air.

            “Oh, JuNa, I have a gift for you! Today couldn’t have been a better day to give it, too!” Sungyeol sat up with a start, grabbing his backpack from the sofa across the table and digging through it like a madman. He took everything out of the bag, discarding them onto the table in a large haphazard pile. “A-ha! Found it!” he whooped, pulling it out from the bottom of the bag and quickly hiding it behind his back. He turned to JuNa with a grin and chuckled. She was staring at him wide-eyed, brow raised in confusion.

            “Okay…so are you going to show me what you got, or…” she trailed off, tilting her head slightly. Sungyeol laughed and held up a finger.

            “I’ll give it to you in a second. But, first, I have to tell you a story,” he started, shifting his body to better see her. She grinned at him and nodded her head, curiosity getting the best of her as she leaned in to his build up for the present.

            “Okay, so you know how I always take that one route where the elderly lady sells the rice cakes and where the elderly couple own that craft store on the corner?” he asked, holding back his laughter at her puzzled expression. He took a deep breath as JuNa tried to comprehend his slew of words. Once she understood, she motioned for him to continue. “Right, so, one day, I met the nice lady from the craft store at the rice cake stand. We talked about the weather and about business, the usual. I was about to leave when she caught my attention. She said something about knitting and scarves and stuff, so it gave me this awesomely amazing idea for a present.” He stopped and beamed at her, waiting for her response.  JuNa nodded, catching the flow of words better this time.

            “Yeah, so, we talked, and planned and she knit up a storm. Eventually, we came up with this.” He produced a lumpy, tattered package from behind his back and offered it to her. She studied it in confusion and reached out for it with hesitation. She opened to say something, but decided against.

            He would probably get offended if I say anything. Anyway, appearance doesn’t determine anything, I should know better. JuNa took the parcel and carefully place it on the table in front of her. She looked at it from all angles, trying to figure out what exactly was inside. The bumps and crinkles of the wrapping paper did well to disguise the present inside.

            “Thanks, Oppa. Can I?” JuNa asked, gingerly picking up one of the ribbon ties. Sungyeol nodded enthusiastically, pointing at it in excitement. JuNa chuckled at him. She turned back to the package and untied the knot. Unraveling the paper, she opened it up to reveal the cutest white and mint, knitted mittens she had ever seen. Her face lit up as she grabbed them swiftly off the paper, holding it to her chest with a big grin.

            “You like them?” Sungyeol asked, laughing as JuNa sputtered with joy.

            “Like them? I love them,” she mumbled, tracing the tiny snowflakes embroidered on the back hand side.

            “I’m glad you like them. However, I bet you’ll like these even more after you see this.” He pried the mittens out of her hand, and placed them back on the table, palm side up. Rummaging through his coat pocket, he pulled out a matching pair of mittens in white and gray. “Prepared to be amazed.” He picked up his right mitt, palm side down, and brought it close to her left mitt.

            JuNa’s eyes widened as the palms began to light up like lights in a Christmas tree. They flickered on and off, sparkling like fresh snow under the sunlight. Her jaw slacked and her eyes slowly began to light up along with her smile.

            “Pretty cool, huh? The lady had sensor installed with some doohickeys that turn on the lights or something. Her husband designed it and tried to explain it to me, but I hadn’t a clue what he said. Anyway, I wanted these to be the most special mittens you would ever own. Seeing that you like Christmas lights even more than you do mittens, I asked myself, why not put the two together?” he explained, handing her his mitten to try it out for herself. She snatched it away, bringing it near her glove on the table and beaming as it lit up. She grabbed his left mitten to try it out with her right one, but nothing happened.

            “Only one side?” JuNa asked, slightly disheartened. Sungyeol smiled and nodded. He reached for her left hand with his right, interlacing their fingers.

            “I don’t know if you have realized this yourself, but you always walk on my right. Always. I even tested out the theory and walked on your left. You shifted over to the right side eventually,” he said with a chuckle, bringing their hands up and giving her hand a light kiss.

            JuNa looked at him with eyes of amusement and pride. How did he actually notice something like that? How had he noticed such a small habit of hers? Because he loves and cares for you, silly. She beamed at him, leaning up to give him a peck on the cheek, only managing to land one on his jaw. Smiling, she let go of his hand, and picked up her mittens, slipping them on her hands with excitement dancing in her eyes. She giggled lightly, admiring the pastel and white patterns weaved into the gloves. Small flakes and Christmas-y designs were stitched all around, luring JuNa into her own happy world.

            “Hey guys, what’s up?” Sungyeol greeted his friends, standing up to give them a warm welcome. The two boys laughed and greeted him back. “Want to join us?” Sungyeol asked, nodding over to his booth. The two of them looked in to see their friend’s girlfriend and hesitated.

            They had met her once before and were not very fond of her cold stares and near mute demeanor. First impressions meant a lot to them, especially if they were meeting their buddy’s girlfriend, and she hadn’t given them much to like. They had warned him before, telling him to end it with her for fear of her breaking his heart. But, every time, he had shot them down, telling them they didn’t know her like he did. Although they trusted his judgment, they still couldn’t let go of the fact that she was too cold for their optimistic friend.

            Sungyeol shot them a questioning look, waiting for their reply. They scanned the small abode, and sighed in defeat. There were no empty tables left. In reluctance, they nodded their heads and accepted their friends offer to join him. Sliding into the booth, they waited for the frigid atmosphere to engulf them in the form of the short girl sitting across the table.

            “JuNa! You remember Hoya hyung and Dongwoo hyung, right? You met them at my birthday.” Sungyeol nudged JuNa who was still distracted by her mittens. She nodded her head in reflex, passing him his mittens with a grin. He chuckled at her excitement and slipped them on for her, opening up his right hand for her to activate the lights.

            “Hello, JuNa-sshi. Long time no see,” Dongwoo spoke first, a wary look on his face. He expected a cold, one word reply, or possibly no reply at all. But, the response he received surprised him.

            “Hi, Dongwoo-sshi. It has been a while, hasn’t it?” JuNa replied, a wide smile on her face and her eyes shining brightly. Something “Lee JuNa” would never do. “And you too, Hoya-sshi. It’s good to see you again.” With her greetings done, she went back to playing with the light up mittens.

            “Uh, what just happened?” Hoya asked in surprise. Dongwoo nodded vigorously off to the side, wondering the same thing, both thinking the same thing. Miracles do happen sometimes. They looked at the girl across the table in awe. She was nothing like the girl they had met before. She was happy, smiling, expressive, a completely different person.

            “I told you guys before, didn’t I? She’s not really the closed, emotionless person you see her as. You actually have to get to know her, the ‘real’ Lee JuNa. She’s warm, kind, and loyal. She’ll stick by your side once she lets you into her world.” They watched as JuNa giggled to herself, enjoying the lights flickering on the palms of the mittens. She held his hand up and brought her own close, then pulled back, then went forth again, repeating the movements and squealing once in a while. Unaware of what was going on around her, she kept at her own little game, laughing lightly in delight, showing her true self to the astonished boys.

            “I guess we should have given her a chance. It’s like they say, looks can be deceiving,” Hoya mused, observing JuNa with a light smile. She was like a child to him, so easily amused by the smallest things, finding delight in almost everything.

            “Yeah, she’s really quite the people person, but assumptions and judgments have turned her into another person. I know it will take a while, but I’m going to try to help her be her true self again and stop her act of being the ‘Lee JuNa’ other people created for her.” Sungyeol chuckled, patting the top of her head, taking away her fun. She pouted at him and looked down. He laughed and tilted her head up, giving her his gloved hand so that she could play with the lights again. She giggled with glee and went back to amusing herself.

            The four of them talked for a while and Hoya and Dongwoo warmed up to JuNa. They got to know her better, getting her to talk more to them. She replied to every question with vigor, talking animatedly and laughing along with their jokes. They had to admit, she was really something else. Gone was the cold girl, the Ice Princess. Gone were the glares and blank stares. Here, in front of them, was an optimistic girl with energy to spare and a cute personality.

            Sungyeol was right, she was a really nice girl. Seeing her speaking to them so openly, with so much excitement and joy, it sparked their motivation to help out their friend and help her accept more people into her closed off world. They wanted to help expand her branch of friends to more than just her boyfriend.

            Eventually, the boys left first, leaving the couple to enjoy each other’s company for a bit before they left the café themselves. Bundling up, Sungyeol buttoned up JuNa’s coat and adjusted her scarf. He pulled out a beanie from his backpack and put it on her head, pulling it down tightly over her ears. He smiled as she played with her mittens and clapped her hands together, ready to go out into the snow covered streets. Offering her his hand, he laughed as she tried to stifle her giggle when the lights flickered on. He held her hand, covering up the lights and led her out of the café. They stopped at the entrance and he stooped down to whisper in her ear.

            “Remember, if you’re ever lost in the dark, just know that I’ll be there to find you and light up your way.” He kissed her cheek and squeezed her hand lightly before taking her outside into the cold, winter night. “As long as you smile and be yourself, be the real ‘Lee JuNa’, other people will be there for you too, like Hoya hyung and Dongwoo hyung.”

            They headed down the street towards their bus stop, heads lowered to the oncoming flurries. JuNa squeezed his hand, leaning onto his arm in thought. She did enjoy his friend’s company and they did have a nice conversation in the café. Maybe voicing my opinion isn't as bad as I think it is. At least I wasn’t judged by them. In fact, they seemed to really enjoy my company.

            They waited under the cover of the bus stop and huddled together, trying to retain their warmth. JuNa gazed up at Sungyeol and he looked right back, eyebrow raised at her sudden thoughtful expression. He wanted to ask her what was on her mind when she beat him to it.

            “I think I’ll try, Oppa.”

            “What?”

            “From now on, I’ll try to be myself more often. I’ll try to be open and unafraid of judgment,” she said with slight uncertainty. “It’s not going to be easy, nor is it going to happen overnight. But, I’m going to try.” Sungyeol beamed at her, engulfing her in a tight bear hug.

            For you, Oppa, I’ll try.


 

And there you have it! I hope this was to your liking, Venice_98! If you or any one else is interested in a one shot just for you, go here and request, request, request~! 

-greenninjapanda GNP-