From the Start

Seasons to Love

He had been younger...in the peak of popularity…and wondering what he was doing…if becoming a singer was a huge mistake that would cost him his happiness as it has cost him so many normal high school and life experiences.

The company had sent the whole group to a small town in the States on a long-term project/vacation/hiatus. 

It was winter when they arrived.  It was cold. 

A tiny town by a frozen lake. 

A broken down and out-of-use hockey/roller skating rink for their dance studio.

The company had these big plans about a mini-idol-movie/drama and comeback music video circulating around the same concept.  All five members were burnt out on saesang (crazy/extreme) fans and heavy schedules…but that was the price they had chosen to pay for this dream…this dream that Changmin had never really had…never really asked for.

They walked into a coffee shop near the house the company was renting for them…and there she was. 

Changmin had always believed he was incapable of falling in love at first sight…he was much too rational for such nonsense.  But…looking back…his heart was hers from the start. 

They had arrived in the afternoon, dropped their luggage at the rental house by the lake, and gone exploring the town.  All five members had decided to stay awake through the night and the next day in an attempt to beat the jet lag.  So at nine o’clock at night they walked into the local coffee shop. 

She was sitting behind the counter, scribbling something in a notebook while glancing occasionally at a large book open before her.  Her long, dark hair was pulled to the side in a loose ponytail with strands falling to frame her face.  She looked up when she heard the welcoming bell ring as the door opened. 

“Hi.”  She smiled, slipping off the stool and stepping to the register. 

Yoochun smiled at her.  “Late night?”  She shrugged and smiled. 

“It’s my usual shift.  But it’s nice.  What can I get for you?”

Yoochun turned to the rest of the group and said something in Korean before turning back and ordering.  The other four sat while Changmin waited for the order to be filled.

He glanced around the café, deciding this would be a place he would come often.  The atmosphere was relaxing and comfortable and warm.  He watched the girl’s smooth movements from the corner of his eye as she prepared their order.  She completed the tasks with an ease that betrayed experience.  He wondered briefly how long she had worked here.

Changmin’s hand brushed hers lightly as she passed him the five coffees on a tray and their eyes met and held.  She smiled at him.  He was debating whether or not he should give an English conversation a shot when she spoke.

“What brings you here?”  She asked in perfect Korean.  Changmin raised his eyebrows and graced her with a slow smile. 

“We’re here for work.  I’m Changmin.”  He set the caffeine aside and held out his hand to her.

“Nice to meet you, Changmin.  I’m Michelle.”  Her handshake was firm but her hand was soft and small in his.  He nodded towards the others.  “Yoochun is the one who speaks English.  Yunho is the tall, sporty-looking one.  Junsu is playing with the straws.  Jaejoong is the one checking out his own reflection.  We work together.”  She laughed.  He noted the warmth and sweetness her smile.  He liked the vibe she gave off.  She wasn't flirtateous...but she seemed genuinely nice.  

“For the film project I've been hearing about?"

"Something like that."  

"Well...I hope you enjoy your time here.  Enjoy your coffee then.  No rush.  We’re open until eleven.”  He nodded.

“Thanks.”  She smiled and turned back to her books.  

Yunho jostled the youngest lightly when he finally came to the table with their order.  “What was that?”  Changmin gave him a silent death glare.  Yoochun raised his eyebrows and nodded toward the girl at the counter. 

“She’s pretty, huh?” 

“Shh…”  Changmin hissed.  “She speaks perfect Korean.” 

“Really?  Is she Korean-American?”  Jaejoong craned his neck to peek at the girl again.  He finally stood up and went to the counter.  “Do you have any more sugar packets?”  He asked, eager to test her Korean for himself.  She looked up and smiled warmly.

“Sure.  Just a minute.”  She disappeared into the kitchen area.  Jaejoong nodded toward the others in approval before flipping surreptitiously through the book in which she had been so absorbed.  Changmin shook his head and covered his eyes.  He couldn’t watch this.  Just when he thought he couldn’t be shocked by Jaejoong’s 4D personality…

When he finally returned to the table with the sugar he grinned at Changmin.  “You know how to pick them.”  He said quietly, switching to Japanese.  He nodded toward her again.  “She’s doing some intense math equations over there.  They’re all correct.  I checked the answer key in the back.”

“You’re such a snoop.”  Junsu laughed.  Jaejoong shrugged and grabbed his coffee again.  “I’m helping out a friend and workmate here.  I’m a detective.”

“You’re embarrassing is what you are.”  Changmin muttered.  Jaejoong grinned and winked. 

“You know you love me.”

Author’s Note: Hello, everyone!  It has been a long time...  So…this is actually based on a storyline I was working on years ago and had posted on Winglin (Wow, remember Winglin?  It seems so long ago…when did I become such an old fangirl?) under the title “Dream Addict.”  I’m kind of rewriting it here, but I didn’t realize how hard it would be to write the main story with all 5 original DBSK members pre-break up…thus the huge time lapse since posting the foreword *sigh*  (Sorry!)  Please, please leave questions, comments, constructive criticism ^_^

Any Exo fans reading?  Feel free to browse my other fanfics if you get bored waiting for my updates to this story.  I currently have 3 Exo fanfics (2 completed oneshots and 1 full-length in progress).  Also my Yoochun fanfic (Still Waters Run Deep) is still in progress.  

Thank you all for your support!  <3