Chapter 4

The Way Out From Despair

 

 

 

 

Dong Woon felt time slow down, he could see the horror in Ki Kwang’s face as clear as day, he could almost feel it as the glass in his hands free fall through the air to shatter on the floor. Just like how he could feel the glass raining on him, digging into him, leaving their marks behind. The three of them stood frozen for a moment, before Dong Woon broke.

 

 

He could almost feel the wind sail past as he plummeted down the slope, he could almost feel the impacted when the car encountered an obstacle, but the only thing he felt the most was terror. Deep, dark terror. He didn’t want to die like this, not on some mountain slope, not in a car, and definitely not before he said his goodbyes. But those things were only superficial. The only thing he can feel was the terror of being crushed, of being helpless. He wanted to scream, but nothing got past his throat. He wanted to pray, but all he could think of was the terror clouding his mind, squeezing his heart. His hands still clutching the steering wheel with white knuckles, unable to pry them away to protect himself. He sat there in the driver’s seat, petrified, and looked at his impending death, and all he knew was black, oily terror, and the knowledge he would never see any of his loved ones again. He almost welcomed the darkness when it came, pulling him away from the terror, pulling him away from the regrets. But he knew it wasn’t the ending. He jarred awake when the car finally stopped, lying on its side. His hands were no longer at the wheel, and his ribs hurt so much he almost passed out again. Blood dripped from cuts all over, getting into his eyes, but it didn’t matter. He didn’t need to see anymore. He laid there, unable to move, unable to do anything but send prayers for his family, friends and s. The last thing in his mind was hope for none of his loved ones to see him as messed up as he knew he was then.

 

 

 

 

‘Dong Woon!’

 

Doo Jun barely caught him in time before he slumped onto the floor. Witnessing Dong Woon’s breakdown had frozen them all to their spots. They had never once seen the maknae this terrified, and the worst thing was, he didn’t even make a sound. All through the entire episode, he didn’t even utter a word, a whimper or a scream. But all of them could see the terror he was experiencing. It was in his eyes. He just stood there, stiff and tense, his breathing harsh and ragged. His mind conjuring up images that brought him back to the near-fatal incident that almost took his life. By then, the other four had also gotten home and had witnessed a good portion of the episode. Doo Jun could only imagine what they are thinking now. They went out for a walk after lunch, and got back home in time to witness the maknae whose face they hadn’t laid their eyes on for almost two months right there, looking right at them, but not seeing, going through something only the youngest man can see. Doo Jun gently laid the youngest on the floor, checking his breathing and pulse, and heaving a sigh of relief when he found both present. Looking at the unconscious man, his chest still heaving slightly, sweat trickling from his brows, Doo Jun felt a deep pang in his heart. Dong Woon had went through so much hurt and pain, and now, even after the accident, he still has to suffer the after effects of that near-fatal event. Doo Jun could only pray Dong Woon could emerge from this in one piece.

 

 

A warm hand landed on his shoulder, gentle and apprehensive. He looked up and saw Ki Kwang’s pinched face looking at not him, but the man unconscious on the floor.

 

‘I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to drop the glass. I didn’t know he was there and it just shocked me. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I really didn’t mean to, I didn’t know. I didn’t know.’ Yo Seob pulled Ki Kwang away and let him sob into him. Doo Jun knew it was none of their faults. They didn’t know. And at least he had some sort of preparation, the others didn’t. They didn’t expect the extent of Dong Woon’s injuries to be this bad. He stood up, steeled himself for what was about to come. The members need to know, they deserved to know. Turning, he slowly began.

 

 

‘As you can see, his injuries pretty bad. He still can walk, talk and no he isn’t deranged. Maybe just a little crazy but not something we aren’t used to. He is still our maknae, scars and all. The road to his recovery isn’t gonna be easy. He had the ridiculous idea that we would abandon him once we know about his scars, can you believe it?! And no, we are the first to know. Yo Seob, I know his parents need to know, but they’re his parents, and until he says so, he would be the one to tell them himself. I don’t know how long it would take for him to recover, not just physically, but also mentally. You can see he had suffered a lot of trauma, and we aren’t exactly equipped to help him yet. But he would help himself. He promised me, and we’re gonna be there for him all the way. Are we?’ Doo Jun looked at the four in front of him. A sobbing Ki Kwang, three shell shocked members. He sighed.

 

 

That wasn’t the way they envisioned when Dong Woon finally opened up to them, and they had never considered the implications the accident would cause. He could slowly see that his words slowly being processed, the scars starkly visible, but there were no disgust, no pity. Just determination and sympathy. They were gonna help the youngest to his feet and nothing he said was going to deter them. Doo Jun’s heart filled with pride, washing the ache away. Their maknae might be scarred, he might be afraid, but he wouldn’t be alone.

 

 

‘Why not we put him to bed first?’ Jun Hyung said. Doo Jun nodded his head, before remembering something.

‘The glass! Be careful!’

‘Yes, I can see them leader-nim. I am not blind.’ Jun Hyung’s sarcastic remark put a smile on Doo Jun’s face. Yo Seob pulled Ki Kwang away to the living room, while Hyun Seung nimbly stepped across the shattered glass to reach his side.

 

‘Pabo. He could have just told us.’ The lean dancer looked down at the unconscious Dong Woon, taking note of those scars. He sighed. ‘They must’ve hurt a lot.’

‘He said they are not hurting anymore, just tight.’ Doo Jun glanced at Hyun Seung.

‘And you believe him?’ Doo Jun just shrugged.

‘But his ribs are hurting though, that I’m sure.’

‘Aish, this stubborn, pabo mule-headed idiot.’ Doo Jun chuckled at Hyun Seung’s description of the maknae. The both of them got Dong Woon into his bed and settled him as comfortable as they could.

‘He’s lost weight.’

‘Yeah, he did. Operation number one would be feeding him.’

‘Operation: Feed The Maknae?’ Doo Jun quipped. Hyun Seung laughed.

‘I guess our first mission would be it then. Operation: Feed The Maknae!’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[a/n: hey guys! until now how is it going? and oh, any of you guys actually do read the left side column? >< hahaha i've been wondering so.... hahahaha! its the hols so i might be slightly less lazy.. hahahahaha :) comments are loved! kekeke have a good day/afternoon/night!]