Chapter 1

The Way Out From Despair

 

 

 

 

‘Dong Woon ah, are you hungry? Do you need anything?’ A gentle voice broke into his reverie, bringing him crashing back into the world of the living.

 

 

‘Dong Woon?’ A little louder this time. Dong Woon could hear all the worry in that two words alone. 

 

 

‘No thanks, hyung. I’m fine.’ Dong Woon didn’t turn to face his hyung, didn’t admit the truth, didn’t turn away from the window he was staring at. Hyun Seung wondered what the younger man was thinking. He doubted the thoughts running through the man’s head would be warm and sunny.

 

 

But it was.

 

 

 

Dong Woon was thinking how bright the sun was shining that day, how the sun’s rays warmed him up in the winter cold, how he had turned his face up into the ray of light, basking in the beams and laughing with the hyungs about something they were talking about.

 

 

It seemed like a normal day. Except it wasn’t.

 

 

 

He and his hyungs were idols, their group one of the top male groups in KPop. He had achieved his dream, and things were looking even better for him. He just participated in a musical that saw the likes of SHINee’s Key and Super Junior’s Kyu Hyun amongst its cast, and taking up the role of the main character. BEAST was as popular as ever with their comeback only months ago. Dong Woon only expected things to get better, but then his world came crashing down.

 

 

 

The crash from the impact of the car against the side rails, the tumbling of the car as it flips over and over, and the settling of the dust in the aftermath of the freak accident all mirrors the world of the young man on his way to the top of the world. All of it came crashing down, and he had no idea.  None at all as to how he is going to pick himself up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘How is he? Still not eating?’ Weary eyes met Hyun Seung’s as he quietly exits the room. Hyun Seung could only shake his head.

 

 

A tired sigh escaped the lungs of the eldest. He knew letting this cycle continue everyday wouldn’t help anybody, least of all Dong Woon. But what can he do? After all the youngest went through, he really didn’t want to add more stress to the injured man. He might seem to be healing and dealing with it, as much as it appeared to Doo Jun without seeing the face of their youngest for the past weeks. He seemed to be relatively alright for a man who barely escaped with his life as his car tumbled down the mountain road. Surprisingly, the car wasn’t much damaged apart from the glass, the car pretty much intact after the ordeal. The man inside wasn’t so lucky.

 

 

The only silver lining was that no one was involved in the accident. Despite the slight snow in the morning, the weather was bright and sunny enough for the maknae of the group. Dong Woon was enjoying the time off and having a drive around the mountains outside the city alone, and the hyungs all busy with their own schedules. On the way back though, it was another matter entirely.

 

 

The narrow mountain road was tricky for large vehicles to navigate, and Dong Woon had the bad luck of getting caught on the road with the huge construction vehicles heading up the mountain. He was paying attention, but that wasn’t enough when he made a turn too fast and clipped one of the vehicles on the rear bumper. He over compensated and skidded across the slick road, all the way over the side rails. At least, that was what the eye witnesses said. The man involved certainly had not discussed a single thing about the accident nor the injuries he had received. Which wasn’t helping matters at all. Doo Jun’s heart still constricts when he remembered how Dong Woon had been lowered on a gurney from the rescue helicopter, covered in blood. There had been so much of it. If not for the restraining arms of their manager, he would’ve ran over. He was glad he was the only one member who saw the youngest in that state. His manager told him what he heard from the staff, including the state of the car. Not that he really cared about the car.

 

 

 

 

‘He’s still avoiding us?’ Jun Hyung’s voice broke Doo Jun’s recollection, turning his mind back to the present. He hadn’t heard the rapper’s approach, but he could still see the lines of worry that he carried. That they all carried.

 

‘Yeah. Only saw his back as usual, and the bowl of food I left him hasn’t been touch much. I really don’t know how to get to him, how to approach him.’ Hyun Seung turned away, but Jun Hyung reached an arm across and gave his shoulder a squeeze. They all felt the same, helpless. Jun Hyung glanced at Doo Jun, and their eyes met.

 

 

‘I’ll go in and try.’ Doo Jun took a deep breath and entered the room.

 

 

 

 

‘Dong Woonie? Come on, let’s go out and eat! We haven’t gone out together for good food for a while!’ Doo Jun spoke with fake cheer to the back of the silent man. In the darkness of the room, he could barely see the outline of the youngest. As he waited for a reply, he observed the way Dong Woon’s back was hunched over, as if he was protecting himself from an attack. Even in the darkness, Doo Jun could see that Dong Woon had lost weight. The air about him was defeated, tired, resigned. Doo Jun hated that. As always, he wonders if Dong Woon had even heard him speak.

 

 

‘Woon? What do you think? It’ll be my treat!’ The silence went on. Doo Jun liked to think he was a patient man, but every time this happens, he could only leave the room defeated. He always waited as long as he could stand, the oppressive silence pressing down on him. But he always left the room without any improvement. Some days, Dong Woon might reply him, other days, nothing. Today was one of those days.

 

He left the room in silence, trying to keep his frustration in check.

 

 

 

Dong Woon heard the leader, but he couldn’t bring himself to answer back, even though that would have easily placated the older man. He could hear the worry in his voice. In all their voices for that matter. But he was trapped in his mind, still spinning, like he was when the car slipped over the edge, tumbling down the rocky expanse, spinning over and over, the glass shards flying, the scream that had built up in his throat that didn’t leave because he was petrified. He hated recounting the accident. He didn’t want to think about, to think about the event that ruined his life.

 

 

But it never listens to him, never recedes even when he tried his hardest not to think about it. He tried o focus on something else. On something better. But his mind never fails to him into the memories. Drowning him in the horror and the fear he went through just weeks ago. The scenes flashing in front of his eyes, feeling the fear all over again. He drew his shoulders in, and helplessly let his mind run its course. 

 

 

 

 

 

[a/n: hey guys! chappie 1 is up! :D]